• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight (PC/PS4/XB1, 2014) media & Game Informer details [Up: More]

Looks great!

So Hal Jordan will appear out of nowhere and defeat the main villain?

Geoff Johns is DC's Chief Creative Officer, not just Green Lantern's writer. Why would Hal Jordan be shoe-horned into a "Batman" game to defeat a villain that is "Batman's ultimate test"?

Ephemeris

That's too bad, really. Arkham Origins' MP was inventive and fun, but died quickly because the market for Gen 7 MP games has been thoroughly oversaturated by this point. The next-gen landscape is considerably less crowded, it'd have a lot better chance to stick. Hell, they should just port Origins' MP over wholesale and stick it on the disc, it deserves the second chance and it'd tick off the multiplayer box with the bare minimum of dev resources.

(Hell, put Gotham City Impostors on there, too. GCI Fumigation is the most fun I had in multiplayer in all of last gen, no damn joke.)

I kinda wish there was splinter cell conviction styled co-op myself :(

-Winnie-

235793_ps4_aa0rb0.png

This is a pretty cool boxart, but my first thought was that he just crashed the car and is flying through the windshield.

I'd like the option to change into a new or undamaged suit post-game. Surprised Batman could still glide in City and Origins after all the bulletholes and tears. Then again, I never played any Origins post-game stuff because snipers.

A few tidbits on the details of the game

Characters
-Things such as Gordon's trench coat and Batman's cape now have Apex cloth physics. They react realistically to changes in wind and movement
-When it rains rains bead of water run down Batman's suit tracing every groove
-The wrinkles on Gordon's face crinkle as he talks

The City
-The city is as detailed as ever with realistic moving clouds with the moon shining through
-Halloween characters and balloons litter the street adding a creepy vibe
-Neon signs of the various shops shine brightly around the city
-The skyline has helicopters and blimps flying through it
-Steam puffs out of the sewers in a realistic way

SykoTech

Still no confirmation as to whether it's UE3 or UE4?

Great hearing that Rocksteady's moving on to something new after this though.

Does the Game Informer say whether there will be regular people walking around, or is it going to be a city of criminals again?

I'd like other heroes that aren't part of the batman universe to make appearances. Or give me a dark night returns the game. Because the Arkham stuff is played out at this point.

Alienous

We already have info that it is a new villian that Rocksteady worked with Geoff Jones to create.

Yeah, no, it's Hush.

It explains why, despite the rumours that he's in it, they've neglected to mention him entirely.

You'll track down The Arkham Knight, unmask him, and it'll be Bruce Wayne('s face). Or, rather, Hush. The true mirror image Batman. What a twist!

Not really digging this stuff:

Chaining stealth takedowns goes against the slow and methodical nature of those sections, having to employ hit and run tactics combined with sneaking felt very satisfying. If there are rooms designed where you can clear the entire room by timing one takedown correctly that's really lame. Nothing should be automated during these sections.

If the game really is upping the enemy count in encounters like the article indicates, these multi-takedowns might be necessary to keep the pace from slogging. Doing a Predator challenge with 50 guys would be pretty tiresome if there was no way to chain.

TEJ

We already have info that it is a new villian that Rocksteady worked with Geoff Jones to create.

wasn't
Hush originally Jason Todd, back from the dead? I won't believe it isn't really the joker until I play the game and he doesn't show up

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Still no confirmation as to whether it's UE3 or UE4?

Great hearing that Rocksteady's moving on to something new after this though.

Given they're not announcing it as Unreal Engine 4 and instead "Rocksteady's modified Unreal Engine" means it's almost assuredly UE3.

A few tidbits on the details of the game

Characters
-Things such as Gordon's trench coat and Batman's cape now have Apex cloth physics. They react realistically to changes in wind and movement
-When it rains rains bead of water run down Batman's suit tracing every groove
-The wrinkles on Gordon's face crinkle as he talks

The City
-The city is as detailed as ever with realistic moving clouds with the moon shining through
-Halloween characters and balloons litter the street adding a creepy vibe
-Neon signs of the various shops shine brightly around the city
-The skyline has helicopters and blimps flying through it
-Steam puffs out of the sewers in a realistic way

When it rains? Dynamic weather confirmed?

My only concern is the abandoned city thing.

I'd like to interact with NPCs. Do some detecting/hanging fat cops off of rooftops.

I thought it would be too when they said the name of the villain is Arkham Knight, but they said they are working with DC to create a new baddie

I am aware of that, but Azriel just screams as the perfect Arkham Knight, he is set up that way, maybe a different character under the Azriel suit ?!

Well whatever the case, I am totally interested in what kind of new villain they come up with.

GavinUK86

Can't wait for midget/big head Bruce Wayne to kick some butt.
lAD73tw.png

The CGI makes everyone look really weird and disproportionate.

Few more things:

• You can now use the linear launcher on anything to create ziplines. This is done in mid flight so you can quickly land where you want.
  • All enemies now have the ability to grapple Batman, not just big guys.
  • Roads wont have many vehicles, just some thug cars and cop cruisers
  • There can be enemy riots, up to 50 enemies on screen at once.
  • More Riddler type challenges than just racing.

Some more on the story and the demo GI played. Don't read if you dont want spoilers
  • Starts off with the evacuation of Gotham cause Scarecrow has put fear toxin bombs all over
  • Each villain is doing their own mission to cause chaos and spread Batman thin.
  • Two-Face and Pengiun are shooting cops in the streets.
  • Batman sees the batsignal and meets Gordon at the roof, fills him in on the scarecrow issue and Gordon gets a call from Barbara saying she is out of the city.
  • Batman goes off to find scarecrow thugs and contacts Barbara who is of course still in the city helping him out.
  • He helps some police when an armored vehicle comes through the streets blowing up police cars, batman hops into the batmobile and takes down the vehicle. Out of the wreckage a scarecrow thug tries to throw fear toxin at batman but he catches it and gets the info he wants.
  • He takes a detour to find a riddler thug, you know the drill, this leads him into an underground race track, lab thing where Riddler shows up and says he will be testing you all night long.
  • He beats the race track, Riddler says he will use the data he learned to make much harder tracks later.
  • He next visits the clock tower oracle is in, it has a statue head that you pull back like Adam West's switch, no red button, its a scanner instead. This reveals the hidden room. She is analyzing the toxin from the thug. It has a radiation she can track, Batman needs to reach an antennae in the Falcone shipping yard.
  • He beats up some goons and puts the tracker on the antennae. As he walks out he is being shot at buy a guy in a militaristic Batsuit flying through the air at him. The batsuit has a big A on it. He knocks down Batman, stomps on him and says "you aren't going anywhere". He points his gun at Batman's head and the screen fades to black and you hear a gunshot. End of demo.

So the story is Arkham Origins.

I know I'll enjoy it, but ya gotta chuckle at the convenient empty city except for criminals syndrome Gotham so frequently gets.
To be fair, would you live in a city like that? If I had to live there, you bet your ass I'd be on vacation all the time.

As for Wrath from New 52...how is he different from Prometheus or Deathstroke? There are plenty of Anti-Batmen in the DC Universe.

Alienous

LastNac

We're in "current gen" now (XBO/PS4). :p
Seems like there are still a lot of 360 and PS3 games released, not to mention all of the crossgen titles that still focus mostly on the PS3 360 ports. So yeah, there still very much is a Current and a Next Generation of consoles.

Petrae

Next-gen only? Damn, that's a bold move.

And so begins the burial of Gen7. Someone had to drive that first big nail into the coffin and (hopefully) get fence-sitters to realize that time is short for X360/PS3 and it's going to be time to consider saving for and/or buying the current-gen systems in order to play what's on the horizon.

As someone who won't be upgrading, I'm sad to hear this-- but I understand why it's happening. Old gen is old.

I'd like other heroes that aren't part of the batman universe to make appearances. Or give me a dark night returns the game. Because the Arkham stuff is played out at this point.

I'd expect other heroes to make appearances, but probably limited to cameos and Easter eggs. I suspect this game will open up the greater DC Universe for exploration though and we'll see more heroes receive the 'Arkham' treatment in future titles.

Adnor

Banned
Geoff Johns is DC's Chief Creative Officer, not just Green Lantern's writer. Why would Hal Jordan be shoe-horned into a "Batman" game to defeat a villain that is "Batman's ultimate test"?

It was a joke because Geoff Johns had the biggest nerdboner for Hal "The greatest Green Lantern in the universe" Jordan when he wrote GL.

Top Bottom