• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight (PC/PS4/XB1, 2014) media & Game Informer details [Up: More]

Interfectum

Seems like there are still a lot of 360 and PS3 games released, not to mention all of the crossgen titles that still focus mostly on the PS3 360 ports. So yeah, there still very much is a Current and a Next Generation of consoles.

No, 360/PS3 are now last gen.

Mugy

Now those are great news. Still have my doubts about the Batmobile in the game, tho. Batmobile-only riddler puzzles?

SJRB

Gold Member
More Oracle is definately great news, I enjoyed her way more in Arkham Asylum than I did Alfred in Origins.

This all sounds pretty sweet. I bought the first Arkham game just because it was so cheap and did not really know what to expect. But I really really liked it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh boy, why do they invent a new Villain for the game? The last time I checked, Batman had the best rouge gallery of all superheroes, why inventing something in a game. The Batmobil News was awful, but this really tops everything.

Damn, they really want to fuck the game up...

kmax

• Last Batman game for Rocksteady, will work on something totally new next.
  • Batmobile can be called at any moment with a button.
  • Kevin Conroy is Batman, all the previous voice actors are back.
  • Gothom City is 5 times bigger than AC. Split into 3 areas. NO LOAD TIMES at all, entering buildings is seemless.

obamaohyeah.gif

NastyBook

Didn't play Origins so maybe the new voice actor sucked, but Conroy totally phoned it in for City. Normally he's great, but for future games I wouldn't mind someone new.
His phone-in is still better than what other VAs are currently bringing to the table with the character.

Seems like there are still a lot of 360 and PS3 games released, not to mention all of the crossgen titles that still focus mostly on the PS3 360 ports. So yeah, there still very much is a Current and a Next Generation of consoles.

Wait. Next-gen is a thing? PS5/XboxTwo announced already? How did I miss this?

The user quoted says [new] villain in his post.

Might not mean it's technically a new villain, but a villain that's new to the game.

No the article specifically states Rocksteady got to work with DC to create a brand new character to the Batman universe. It's the first time they have been allowed to make a new character that is their idea.

What it never states is that the silhouette and the new character are one in the same, it just shares the same page so it is assumed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
- Arkham Knight is built on a "juiced up" version of the a custom Unreal Engine to make use of the Xbox One and PS4.
- By not being cross-gen they've been able to push what the machines can do
- Rocksteady describe Arkham Knight as "a real, genuine next-gen game"
- There is no multiplayer in Arkham Knight. Rocksteady is focused on "making the best single-player experience it can" and doesn't feel it needs multiplayer.
- Game Informer says Rocksteady isn't saying what's next but "it's most definitely not Batman related"
- The finale has been in mind since the development of Arkham City
- Rocksteady is emphasising the detail is more important than the scale of the world. They don't want to create the biggest open-world, they want to create the richest, densest and most vibrant
- Batmobile is designed to be "the best car in any game ever", it takes up around 160mb of memory in game and will just about fit in an Xbox 360 (if that was the whole game). There are hundreds of thousands of polygons, as well as textures and shaders used on it

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-gameplay-new-villain-combat-tweaks-and-more/

HNNNNNG
So given how they keep mentioning that Rocksteady isn't doing another Batman game next and this is the finale of the Arkham series, I suspect Warner Montreal is still making Batman with this as a basis, but spinning it off as a separate Batman series.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Last Batman game for Rocksteady
Batmobile can be called at any moment with a button.
Kevin Conroy is Batman, all the previous voice actors are back.
Gothom City is 5 times bigger than AC. Split into 3 areas. NO LOAD TIMES at all, entering buildings is seemless.

fuck_yeah.gif

ezekial45

Banned
I was really hoping for Owlman to make an appearance, but they're going for a new villain here.

Scott Snyder's Court of Owls run was fantastic, and I would've loved for Rocksteady to take some influences from that.

-griffy-

Banned
I realise it's from below but the lack of perspective seems funny.

Well there is perspective, but the camera is using a long lens, which compresses space, which means objects appear closer together (which means his his head looks relatively the same size as if you were looking straight on from the same distance). If it was using a wide angle lens and the camera was much closer to him his feet would be gigantic and his head would be tiny.

Radec

When first party devs stopped making games on a console, that's when you know that console's gen is over.

Sony and MS are going full blast on the PS4 and Xbone, third parties are clinging to last gen because of its userbase.

When I read about the chaining thing the first thing I thought of was Far Cry 3. The distance in which you can chain takedowns and how cunning the AI can be will determine if chain takedowns can be easily abused. I really don't like the idea of automated takedowns of any nature to begin with though.

There's already automation in these games; the inverted takedown is just a single button press. Same with choking enemies out (simple compared to a Metal Gear Solid game). The challenge came from positioning, timing and what the player does immediately after. If You can dive into a floor grating without having to drop down, crouch then hit the action button/key, it doesn't change that you still have to time it correctly. If you can cancel out of that move at any point, then it shouldn't be a problem. General movement and traversal could get annoying in past games because of Batman had to do them in specific directions (climbing on railings, hanging down, jumping off, climbing onto counters/tables). In the heat of the moment, it could be unnecessarily restrictive, taking focus away from what the player wants to do.

None of the Arkham sequels have made anything more dumbed down from previous entries, not even the one by WB Montreal. From the descriptions, it sounds like it's could just be a legitimately smoother way of doing what you could do in past games. It's unlikely Rocksteady would feel the need to make the player any more powerful than they are in past games.

I asked this on the other thread, anyone with the digital issue are you able to read the entire side black boxes. Specifically the one on the batmobile, it stops mid sentence and has a white down arrow but nothing I do scrolls down?

Vire

Halloween setting? Rain? More Detail / Models? No Load Times? Seamlessly flying out of the Bat Mobile?

HNNNNG!

ezekial45

Banned
So given how they keep mentioning that Rocksteady isn't doing another Batman game next and this is the finale of the Arkham series, I suspect Warner Montreal is still making Batman with this as a basis, but spinning it off as a separate Batman series.

Oh yeah, this is definitely the case. There's not way they're gonna give this up.

Alienous

I was really hoping for Owlman to make an appearance, but they're going for a new villain here.

Scott Snyder's Court of Owls run was fantastic, and I would've loved for Rocksteady to take some influences from that.

Still want

Court_of_Owls_008.jpg

I want that to be the basis of Arkham Orgins 2. Introduce Dick Grayson, his connection with the Court of Owls, have Batman get utterly defeated and realize he needs help. Bring Robin into the continuity, and move further in the direction of developing the stoic Batman of Rocksteady's games (with his arrogance at knowing the city and its history being turned upside down in Court of Owls). That would also retroactively explain the lack of the Court of Owl's appearance in Asylum and City, where there are statues of the Owls in Origins.

Sounds great. Sooo glad this is new gen/PC only. With that said, I'm also glad this is the last Batman Arkham game. Time to move on or do something different.

Edit: A halloween setting? I need to read more into this. I love Halloween/Halloween settings and themes in games/movies. Is it releasing this year? (double edit: judging by the TITLE OF THE THREAD. Yes it is) Oh please be October.

Omega

Banned
No the article specifically states Rocksteady got to work with DC to create a brand new character to the Batman universe. It's the first time they have been allowed to make a new character that is their idea.

What it never states is that the silhouette and the new character are one in the same, it just shares the same page so it is assumed.

Oh ok.

When the user had [new] in quotes, I assumed maybe it could also possibly mean just new to the game.

That's good to hear. Batman needs new refreshing villains. So tired of Joker & Friends.

I asked this on the other thread, anyone with the digital issue are you able to read the entire side black boxes. Specifically the one on the batmobile, it stops mid sentence and has a white down arrow but nothing I do scrolls down?

Yea look at the side, there is this dark gray bar, put your cursor over it and scroll down.

viveks86

Batmobile is designed to be "the best car in any game ever", it takes up around 160mb of memory in game and will just about fit in an Xbox 360 (if that was the whole game). There are hundreds of thousands of polygons, as well as textures and shaders used on it

LOL!

Oh, you know things are very much still "Next-Gen" the first two years into a console's cycle.

Yeah, well, the "next" part kind of implies that it's not current and is coming...next.

360/PS3 came out 8-9 years ago..I'd call that "last gen" at this point.

Top Bottom