• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight (PC/PS4/XB1, 2014) - TRAILER - Driveable Batmobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

boinx

Here's what i mean about Rocksteady's character designs being much better in AA/AC. This is straight from the company themselves-

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/batman_arkham_asylum

They're going against that Arkham Knight. It's no longer their own original design. It's Origins and Nolan looking designs. Look at Batman's character model in that link, it was so original and unique to Rocksteady.

More:

So WTF happened? Why the change of heart to the design of his look? It looks too movie like and not comicy that made those two game stand out instead of being unoriginal.

More:

Her best design. Now she looks like Rocksteady hired a girl from Brazzers.

More:

For those who didn't understand the oversized exaggerated design of Killer Croc-

When Origins " humanised" him, it made his seem weak and non threatening. Everything doesn't have to follow the "real word". For movies and games we are suppose to suspend our disbelief of such things because it fits the movie or game better. Especially games.

Why is Rocksteady changing their philosophy that made their Batman so successful and fresh? i don't get it.

You do realize that there have been hundreds of artists drawing Batman comics, many of them with different styles right?

I for one am glad that they seem to be ditching the style they went with in AA/AC. Shit was seriously Liefield tier.

• Last Batman game for Rocksteady, will work on something totally new next.
  • There will be a brand new villain, something made by Rocksteady that they say will be the ultimate test for Batman
  • Batmobile can be called at any moment with a button.
  • The city streets are much wider to allow for the batmobile. You will rocket jump off ramps and do all sorts of cool maneuvers.
  • You can eject jump out of the batmobile right into a super fast glide straight through the glass of a building to knock out enemies. They said glass breaking will be a big new thing.
  • New moves include being able to use all your gadgets during flight. You now have a counter throw where you counter a guy and throw him into another guy. A new quick ground takedown. A quick backflip where you then throw a batarang in an enemies face.
  • For the predator sections you can now chain takedowns of up to four enemies. For instance pop out of a grate and take one guy, jump to the next and so on. You can now enter grates from a distance, he will automatically do a jump or roll to enter them.
  • Riddler challenges seem to be car based. The first one has you enter a sort of Riddler race track where you have to activate walls and ramps, when you activate one another closes so as you drive you have to be constantly turning on and off these ramps as you navigate the course.
  • Batmobile fires missles and stun guns. It destroys anything it touches so if you bump into cars the cars go flying. It's basically unstoppable.
  • Story is that after Joker's death all the criminals decided to work together and their plan comes together this night where they plan to kill batman. The article talks mostly about Scarecrow, he scattered bombs throughout Gotham.
  • Oracle will play a larger role, you get to visit her base and talk to her, tons of batman easter eggs included.
  • Kevin Conroy is Batman, all the previous voice actors are back.
  • Gothom City is 5 times bigger than AC. Split into 3 areas. NO LOAD TIMES at all, entering buildings is seemless.
  • They spend a bunch of time talking about how detailed the models are, one character has more polygons than the environment of Asylum.
  • Batman will start off with the old batsuit and upgrade at some point in the game.

yeah, it's just the Arkham part that doesnt make sense anymore

I mean, Arkham is just the name of the Asylum. I guess it made a bit more sense in City since it was basically a section of gotham city that turned into an open asylum but it just stuck as the franchise name and they just HAVE to call it that I guess. In Origins it didnt make sense either.

It's a pet peeve. Gotham Knight would have been 100x better and would even make me a bit more hopeful that they were mixing things up enough as to call it something else, but yeah, it's a franchise now. (and gotham knight is the name of those short animated films anyway)

Agree

Hate that it's still tied to the shitty Arkhamverse

3bdelilah

Banned
Now that's interesting. So Scarecrow isn't the main villain of the piece. Guessing it's Azrael.

Quite like the sound of the fear takedowns too.
I don't think so, man. I mean, Azrael was the one warning Batman (in a non-hostile manner) that dark days were coming.

Did you ever read the "No Man's land" comic arc. It featured a similar concept of all of Gotham being run down by villains. Batman stayed behind to finish his job. Arkham Knight features a Batman who is going to stand against the tide when all is lost and most are gone. He has grown to be the man his father predicted, hence the reading of the will.

"The Dark Knight" has always been just another title, Arkham Knight seems to speak more to what he is willing to do and how far he is willing to go.
No I can't say I have, I might look it up then. But still, I don't think the mature and "true" Batman from AA and AK really differ that much in terms of philosophy and behaviour. From AA onwards I get the feeling he has always been the man his father wanted him to be

• There will be a brand new villain, something made by Rocksteady that they say will be the ultimate test for Batman
  • The city streets are much wider to allow for the batmobile. You will rocket jump off ramps and do all sorts of cool maneuvers.
  • You can eject jump out of the batmobile right into a super fast glide straight through the glass of a building to knock out enemies. They said glass breaking will be a big new thing.
  • New moves include being able to use all your gadgets during flight. You now have a counter throw where you counter a guy and throw him into another guy. A new quick ground takedown. A quick backflip where you then throw a batarang in an enemies face.
  • For the predator sections you can now chain takedowns of up to four enemies. For instance pop out of a grate and take one guy, jump to the next and so on. You can now enter grates from a distance, he will automatically do a jump or roll to enter them.
    [*]Riddler challenges seem to be car based. The first one has you enter a sort of Riddler race track where you have to activate walls and ramps, when you activate one another closes so as you drive you have to be constantly turning on and off these ramps as you navigate the course.
  • Batmobile fires missles and stun guns. It destroys anything it touches so if you bump into cars the cars go flying. It's basically unstoppable.
  • Story is that after Joker's death all the criminals decided to work together and their plan comes together this night where they plan to kill batman. The article talks mostly about Scarecrow, he scattered bombs throughout Gotham.
  • Oracle will play a larger role, you get to visit her base and talk to her, tons of batman easter eggs included.
  • Gothom City is 5 times bigger than AC. Split into 3 areas. NO LOAD TIMES at all, entering buildings is seemless.
  • They spend a bunch of time talking about how detailed the models are, one character has more polygons than the environment of Asylum.

Riddler stuff sounds great. Also loving that there's no load times/screens.

Thanks for the info.

LiK

• Riddler challenges seem to be car based. The first one has you enter a sort of Riddler race track where you have to activate walls and ramps, when you activate one another closes so as you drive you have to be constantly turning on and off these ramps as you navigate the course.

DROOLS

Phil4000

I don't like CG only trailers either, but Dead Island's performance makes it pretty obvious as to why we still have them.

CGI trailers are a waste, just look at Star Wars: The Old Republic, trailer was amazing but the game was terrible... (and looked nothing like the trailer at all)

Asd202

Hype through the roof.

Cincaid

My God. I need this game.

Me and my PC is ready. I just hope not all Riddler trophies are batmobile-stuff.

Omega

Banned
Riddler challenges seem to be car based. The first one has you enter a sort of Riddler race track where you have to activate walls and ramps, when you activate one another closes so as you drive you have to be constantly turning on and off these ramps as you navigate the course.

why..

Hopefully they collaborated with Turn 10 or Polyphony to work on driving mechanics

In the digital issue anyone know how to scroll the black extra boxes. There are two that have this white arrow pointing down after the text just stops mid sentence and I click everywhere and nothing happens. There is one about the batmobile, it just stops after it says "Bulletproof", how do I read the rest?

New villain seems to have a batsuit but it is more robotic, the eyes glow blue.

idk.
didnt have a problem with him.

I dont like stuff like this.

why not the batmobil we saw in the old games?

and harley looks extremly different:

iriiKH6AA3SHp.jpg

WOW. Thanks for the comparison. They really nailed the design this time, congrats to the studio.

Harley's worst look so far in the Arkham series. City was my favorite, wish they would've stuck with that. Really excited to play as her though!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
  • Batman will start off with the old batsuit and upgrade at some point in the game.

Sounds like Rocksteady is going all out for their last Batman game. I'm totally in.

The Arkham Knight looks like Batman without a cape, you can't really see him since he is in shadows, but you can see the outline of the ears which are shorter than Batman's and his eyes glow blue. He has some pretty big gadgets around his belt and legs.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Biggest news is that the game is seamless, streaming. And by the scale and detail of environments on display, that's impressive.

Jtrizzy

Yes, I would love to know if its running on Unreal Engine 4, or what Nvidia has in store with Physx effects this time around!!! This series has had some of the best Nvidia support in the past...

Not sure if I can agree with this. DX11 in Arkham City was pretty much broken. They may have fixed it eventually, but it was pretty much shit.

kitzkozan

On paper it does sound great and should logically be among the GOTY candidate, but let's see if they execute. :] Easily my most anticipated next-gen title for the time being which give it extra points. :p

LastNac

No I can't say I have, I might look it up then. But still, I don't think the mature and "true" Batman from AA and AK really differ that much in terms of philosophy and behaviour. From AA onwards I get the feeling he has always been the man his father wanted him to be
I'm not talking solely about his father's expectations, I'm talking about his own morality when combined with the stakes. He is willing to stand against the residents of Arkham regardless or personal stake. This feels like the stakes are highest, very much an adventure where the hero might literally die at the end.

So yeah, I think Arkham Knight fits perfectly.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Sounds like Rocksteady is going all out for their last Batman game. I'm totally in.

That's exactly what they say in the article. Origins series can continue after with WB.

Since Rocksteady are able to wrap up this story, they can throw everything they want to in this game.

Awesome! It looks like it's almost time for me to buy a Xbone/PS4.

I really hope this game continues some of the side stories from AC. Like Hush, Azreal, and Harley's baby.

Alienous

Mmm.

But I guess if it was running on UE4, they'd of said so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom