• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight (PC/PS4/XB1, 2014) - TRAILER - Driveable Batmobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to think about rumors sometimes. It's like the "Telephone" game you play as a kid: You whisper this one thing, and then it transforms into something else entirely as someone else whispers it to another person.

In this case, I'm assuming when they said "Silver Age Batman", what they actually meant was a game where Batman was just starting out. We got that in Arkham Origins. It even featured him battling the Joker, as they said he would.

The rumor ALSO said the game would be next-gen only and feature the Justice League. That part just might be true still, since this is indeed for PS4/XB1. Let's see what the "telephone" game does to "Justice League".

:)

Thanks for the more in depth look. we shall see indeed.

Ephemeris

i3rPCiG80Tmwm.jpg

I combined the images from the main site to make a nice sized pic of the cover art. Looks SO GOOD.

nice. ipad wallpaper get.

okayfrog

Banned
So we lose the awesome Arkham traversal, in favor of shitty open-world-game driving? Seems like a step in the wrong direction.

They spent an extra year developing this game (presumably), so I have faith they'll be able to make it work.

That being said, if you were hoping for them to go back to the more contained and focused gameplay of Arkham Asylum well, you're probably out of luck there.

- J - D -

It's funny how they make Batman look leaner, more Ben Affleck-like in the promotional cgi, but looking at the in-game model in the op, he still looks like chunky derp Unreal 3 Batman.

Alienous

They have to have a good reason for going next-gen only. Either it was part of the Arkham Origins bargain, or they might be wanting to push graphics. And why wouldn't they use UE4 in that circumstance?

pls.

Albo

Shame it seems there'll be no civilans, but they could still do some interesting kind of morality system with the police, and chases+vehicle combat between bats/enemies/thugs through gotham is an exciting prospect.

Here's some harley art from the main site

jbqDRAqeMPljHN.jpg

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hope we get to do this seamlessly in-game!

I can only imagine that embarking and disembarking the Batmobile will have to be really quick and fluid like in the trailer to incorporate it into the Arkham gameplay style.

Blader

The point is it was their own take. It made it feel unique. I loved Rocksteady's style and character designs. Now they're just copying Origins nolan style. It doesn't look good at all.

Nothing about these games looks like Nolan's style.

As hard as it may be to believe, Nolan doesn't have the monopoly on gritty.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They have to have a good reason for going next-gen only. Either it was part of the Arkham Origins bargain, or they might be wanting to push graphics. And why wouldn't they use UE4 in that circumstance?

pls.
Why isn't ANYONE using UE4?

OK, I know there are some games announced for that engine, but the uptake seems terribly slow. Are studios wanting to move away from reliance on Epic or is something wrong with the tools (or another aspect of the engine)?

2San

It's funny how they make Batman look leaner, more Ben Affleck-like in the promotional cgi, but looking at the in-game model in the op, he still looks like chunky derp Unreal 3 Batman.
I thought the same thing. Looking at the CG model, I thought they where finally going for more realistic proportions this go around.

OK, I know there are some games announced for that engine, but the uptake seems terribly slow. Are studios wanting to move away from reliance on Epic or is something wrong with the tools (or another aspect of the engine)?
Cryengine seems the new hotness these days. Maybe devs preferred CE, but couldn't use since it runs like crap on the PS360. Now with a new gen devs can finally switch. I hope some devs come out and explain why they are skipping over UE4.

Dabanton

Next gen only = yessss

The trailer was a waste of time though. just show us the actual in game graphics instead of a CG fest.

I imagine we'll be able to drive our batmobile to places and park up maybe put it in defense mode.

and it said 2014 so probably august/September hopefully

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Most likely because most developers using UE had games in development already when it came out. No reason to switch over in the middle of development when your custom version of UE3 works just fine.

Busty

Banned
I may be well behind on my Arkham games (AC is buried somewhere deep in my pile o' shame) but that trailer was really great.

I also want to float a crazy theory right now. I suspect that WB/Rocksteady might have
Superman and/or the Justice League make a cameo at the end of this game signaling the end of the Arkham trilogy/arc and mirroring WB's film ambitions moving forward

Unless of course they intend to 'reset' their DC 'game universe' entirely for their next Rocksteady project or keep the 'Arkham game universe' going with prequels/spin-offs like Origins from WB Montreal. Similar in the way Activision have kept Black Ops and Modern Warfare two separate COD franchises.

Which is also plausible and quite intriguing.

Alienous

Shame it seems there'll be no civilans, but they could still do some interesting kind of morality system with the police, and chases+vehicle combat between bats/enemies/thugs through gotham is an exciting prospect.

jbqDRAqeMPljHN.jpg

Why does she go from looking like a nurse hoo-wah to a biker chick hoo-wah, and back to a nurse hoo-wah?

Violater

The trailer is absolute sex
the good kind
I hope the game is good, please be good.
Make Batman more sleek and fluid and less clunky like the first 2 games.

Not gonna happen. Besides the fact that it was announced as PS4, XBONE, PC...WB games has shown such disdain for the Wii U that they even CANCELLED planned DLC for Origins, that people had already paid for. Considering the situation is that bad, I don't see any possibility of this coming to Wii U at all.

That's a bit revisionist and "disdain" is overly dramatic. They gave the Wii U way better support than any other publisher bar Ubisoft. It wasn't until the writing was on the wall regarding Wii U's prospects that they started backing out accordingly.

Ubisoft have gradually started by delaying thye Wii U version of Watchdogs. Will they be next on your shitlist when they don't announce future titles for it? WB are totally justified here, go crap on EA if you're feeling salty.

Is there a reason Batman seems to be wearing a high tech exoskeleton style armor in this one? Also, CAR-COMBO's! Would love to see a takedown where Batman summons the batmobile which runs over a goon for an instant takedown

jbqDRAqeMPljHN.jpg

Please no... no morality system, no multiple endings, etc. I want a single well written story from start to finish, not a story that is piece meal because you could be good, or bad, and they have to make every answer as neutral as possible to fit as many situations as possible.

(edit) Nice on that October release date... makes me really wonder why the hell we haven't seen any in-game footage yet though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Most likely because most developers using UE had games in development already when it came out. No reason to switch over in the middle of development when your custom version of UE3 works just fine.
I suppose that's true and is logical, but it's just a bit disappointing to me that we haven't really seen anything impressive yet.

CryEngine and Frostbite are both delivering results on new consoles that far outstrip anything UE3 has delivered.

AdanVC

You can have the coolest looking CG trailer in the world and still have a mediocre game. Will wait for some gameplay.

This! Ryse: Son of Rome was the top example of that. This trailer looks great but let's hope a gameplay video can appear soon. And...

...Looks like there's no Wii U version this time, right? Sigh : (

Some Nobody

The point is it was their own take. It made it feel unique. I loved Rocksteady's style and character designs. Now they're just copying Origins nolan style. It doesn't look good at all.

I'll just say that I disagree. City looked...grimey, and kinda gross as opposed to Origins and now Knight.

Please no... no morality system, no multiple endings, etc. I want a single well written story from start to finish, not a story that is piece meal because you could be good, or bad, and they have to make every answer as neutral as possible to fit as many situations as possible.

(edit) Nice on that October release date... makes me really wonder why the hell we haven't seen any in-game footage yet though.

The footage developed by the team is likely being prepared for one upcoming event or another. Have GDC starting next week(?) and E3 will be upon us before we know it.

Rather they outsource a CGI trailer than waste time away from other things to develop internally some scripted trailer that's only resemblance is in-game assets that can be doctored up without having to worry about the game as a whole affecting elements like frame rate, screen tearing, and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom