• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight (PC/PS4/XB1, 2014) - TRAILER - Driveable Batmobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
I'm operating under the assumption that a port of Arkham Knight to Wii U is technically possible, like Arkham City and Arkham Origins before it. If it's not, then all of these points are moot.

I'm saying that if they don't make an exception for Wii U, they're shunning Wii U, artificially placing it into the "last-gen" category (despite it only being 1 1/2 years old), and they don't think it's worthy enough for a downscaled port.

That's self-evident.

Here is the argument:

I'm sure that if Wii U was exploding in popularity right now, they'd have the ability and desire to make a Wii U port happen (and forego the PS3 / 360), since they've already made Arkham City and Arkham Origins happen. That's why I consider Warner Bros.'s actions an indictment against the Wii U in particular...because they're ignoring a new console they've previously supported.

It was supported because the game already existed and was easy to cross port from PS3/360. If they are not making a last gen version you will not see a Wii U version, and that goes for any game studio. Its not a conspiracy, its not an indictment against Wii U, its common sense based on tech specs and simple business.

Tookay

Had the exact same reaction. Surely they won't be that daft, will they?

It's pretty much guaranteed, except for maybe a handful of stragglers. There's no way they're going to deal with all the weird gameplay quirks that civilians bring to a T-rated game.

Alienous

Finally batman with good body proportions. I hate overly muscular batman and I hope they stick with that proportions in-game too.

hub-bg_aknight-v0.jpg

Ephemeris

snippets.

- Arkham Knight isn't just the name of the game.. it's also the name of the [new] villain.
- Fear Takedowns. ie, burst out of grate, action slows down allowing you to target another goon for another attack and so on. Can be used on groups up to 3 as long as they're close enough together and no one has already spotted Batman.
- They seem to try to tackle the old school Arkham issue of "open door - black screen loading"
- The game looks gorgeous. Huge.

So much info here. Great feature.

Lemon Head

Neo Member
Darn, I hoped that this game would also be released for PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U. The Arkham series was easily my favorite franchise during the -still sort of- current console generation and Arkham Knight would have provided proper closure. However, it's probably better this way. If this were a cross gen release, that would have meant either little to no noticable (other than fancier graphics) between current and next gen or the current gen version would have had to be outsourced to another developer. Well, guess I'll have to invest some cash into a better PC...

By the way, from the looks of the trailer with all the civilians being evacuated from the city. I suppose that there will only be crooks and cops in the game.

On Demand

Banned
Here's what i mean about Rocksteady's character designs being much better in AA/AC. This is straight from the company themselves-

Creating the characters for 'Batman Arkham Asylum' was both daunting and exciting privilege for the team. There is such an enormous history to these characters."We combined the stylisation and exaggeration of the graphic novels with highly detailed realistic rendering and lighting," Coombes explains. "We tried to be as true to the comics as we could while at the same time making the characters fit with the dark gritty atmosphere of the Asylum that we envisioned."

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/batman_arkham_asylum

They're going against that Arkham Knight. It's no longer their own original design. It's Origins and Nolan looking designs. Look at Batman's character model in that link, it was so original and unique to Rocksteady.

More:

We wanted there to be a strong distinction between the characters we built from those of the film franchise. Our Batman was that of the graphic novels, underpants on the outside, yellow belt, idealised form with big defined muscles and a square jaw. We made him big as we wanted a heavy imposing quality to him with a strong physical presence. His suit design has been slightly modernised, with details like high-tech fabrics and armoured sections, but it still holds true to the fundamentals of his comic book heritage.

So WTF happened? Why the change of heart to the design of his look? It looks too movie like and not comicy that made those two game stand out instead of being unoriginal.

More:

Harley's redesign sprang from a meeting with Paul Dini the script writer for the game, who is also the original creator of the Harley Quinn character. He suggested that since Harley has infiltrated Arkham posing as a staff member it would be great to portray her as a twisted sadistic nurse. We went for a kind of makeshift outfit that she cobbled together from bits and pieces she could find in the Asylum.

Her best design. Now she looks like Rocksteady hired a girl from Brazzers.

More:

For those who didn't understand the oversized exaggerated design of Killer Croc-

We found with a lot of the characters that although they had predefined sizes that they were meant to be from their comic book history these had to be adapted to work in the game setting. In the real world if someone is a foot taller than you they seem huge, in the game we found this didn't come across well and we had to make more drastic size variations to get the desired effect. This was the case with Croc. He began life at around eight feet tall, but when seen in game he just didn't look imposing enough so we had to increase his size by quite a large amount to make him feel as big and scary as we felt he should.

When Origins " humanised" him, it made his seem weak and non threatening. Everything doesn't have to follow the "real word". For movies and games we are suppose to suspend our disbelief of such things because it fits the movie or game better. Especially games.

Why is Rocksteady changing their philosophy that made their Batman so successful and fresh? i don't get it.

3bdelilah

Banned
He has come to deal justice. Knight works perfect because it exemplifies his noble traits. He has become the man his father always wanted him yo be.

But he already was this bringer of justice since the beginning? Okay, the Bruce from AO was kinda rough around the edges sometimes, but from AA and onwards he already was what his father always wanted him to be.

Alienous

snippets.

- Arkham Knight isn't just the name of the game.. it's also the name of the [new] villain.
- Fear Takedowns. ie, burst out of grate, action slows down allowing you to target another goon for another attack and so on. Can be used on groups up to 3 as long as they're close enough together and no one has already spotted Batman.
- They seem to try to tackle the old school Arkham issue of "open door - black screen loading"

They have a villain called Arkham Knight?

I can go with that.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Warner Bros. has the development resources to do more with their DC properties than Disney/Marvel does with their properties. Instead of capitalizing on that, building individual brands with QUALITY games and in return establishing those brands with the public for other forms of media, we'll continue to get big Batman games because why try anything but safe?
First of all, the very fact that they have a handful of well-liked, well-budgeted Batman games under their belt already puts them well ahead of what Disney/Marvel does with their properties in the games sector. Which, last I checked, was Puzzle Quest with a Marvel skin, a potential Disney Infinity with a Marvel skin, and recalling other publishers' pre-existing Marvel games from the marketplace. That's your example of daring, inventive IP leveraging?

Second, you have a very selective memory. Lego Batman 2? Injustice? Scribblenauts Unmasked? Infinite Crisis? All of these (recent!) games are dipping deep into the DCU toybox. Portraying their IP efforts as "All Batman, All the Time" is just fiction. They've constantly been trying to increase visibility of the larger DCU.

Corpsepyre

Banned
shinobi602 ‏@shinobi602 1m
Polygon count of a single Arkham Knight character apparently equal to the entire Arkham Asylum environment.

kitzkozan

Soooo pumped. So pumped.

Not cross gen either? CAN'T WAIT.

I'm happy that Rocksteady is concluding the Arkham games and moving on to something else next and moreoso with the fact that it's next gen only. It's a title that will help push sales of next-gen consoles for sure. :]

If we drive the batmobile, I wonder what form the game will take? Will it be even closer to an GTA inspired open world where you drive your batmobile around the city or restricted to certain missions?

3bdelilah

Banned
Can someone please explain to me what was so bad in Origins? Because I'm playing through it right now and it's a good game.

Nothing at all. Sure, I think it was the least of the series, due to being too much like Arkham City, but I enjoyed it much more than some people here apparently. Really liked the character designs in there.

Edit: besides the bugs and glitches, of course, from what I hear. Although I encountered nothing at all, besides some heavy framerate problems when gliding (maybe happened 4/5 times during my 15 hour playthrough).

Ephemeris

- All quickfire gadgets can now be used during flight.
- Combat tweaks (note: Not enough time to go over these in detail. for example, you can throw by tilting left towards the opponent and hitting counter)
- did I mention the screenshots are gorgeous?

Back to work for me, sadly. :(

vooglie

The point is it was their own take. It made it feel unique. I loved Rocksteady's style and character designs. Now they're just copying Origins nolan style. It doesn't look good at all.

It looks shit tonnes better. The AA and AC designs were atrocious.

snippets.

Now that's interesting. So Scarecrow isn't the main villain of the piece. Guessing it's Azrael.

Quite like the sound of the fear takedowns too.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
shinobi602 ‏@shinobi602 1m
Polygon count of a single Arkham Knight character apparently equal to the entire Arkham Asylum environment.

Err... they say the Batmobile is equal to a AA environment.

Strike that. Says Batmobile alone cannot be rendered on Xbox 360. And that one character is equal to AA environment.

LastNac

But he already was this bringer of justice since the beginning? Okay, the Bruce from AO was kinda rough around the edges sometimes, but from AA and onwards he already was what his father always wanted him to be.
Did you ever read the "No Man's land" comic arc. It featured a similar concept of all of Gotham being run down by villains. Batman stayed behind to finish his job. Arkham Knight features a Batman who is going to stand against the tide when all is lost and most are gone. He has grown to be the man his father predicted, hence the reading of the will.

"The Dark Knight" has always been just another title, Arkham Knight seems to speak more to what he is willing to do and how far he is willing to go.

Tookay

Can someone please explain to me what was so bad in Origins? Because I'm playing through it right now and it's a good game.

I thought it was pretty good on a lot of fronts. On the gameplay front, a couple of the bosses, new enemy types, and new weapons were great. Plus, it had the best story out of the three so far, with better art direction.

It was a bit of a retread, but I didn't mind it. Some of the glitches were bad though.

KDC720

The villain is called The Arkham Knight?

Interesting.

Hmmm. Perhaps something to do with the Spirit of Arkham subplot in Asylum.

Minor spoilers-
It was Amadeus Arkham originally, then Quincy Sharpe took up the mantle (after Strange tinkered with his mind a bit), I hope this new villain isn't Amadeus Arkham brought back via the Lazarus Pits. And it better not be the Joker.

cackhyena

So WTF happened? Why the change of heart to the design of his look? It looks too movie like and not comicy that made those two game stand out instead of being unoriginal.

Why is Rocksteady changing their philosophy that made their Batman so successful and fresh? i don't get it.
I think you're blowing it out of proportion. Whatever originality you think they had in their designs is overshadowed by the hideous proportions IMO.

Phil4000

I need an engine confirmation.

It's make it or break it time!

Yes, I would love to know if its running on Unreal Engine 4, or what Nvidia has in store with Physx effects this time around!!! This series has had some of the best Nvidia support in the past...

Wow the character models look absolutely beautiful. Batman, Penguin, Two Face and the Riddler all look great, even the thugs look nice, hard to get a good glimpse of the city, but it looks real nice. About to read the article now, all I did first was look at the pretty pictures.

Here's what i mean about Rocksteady's character designs being much better in AA/AC. This is straight from the company themselves-

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/batman_arkham_asylum

They're going against that Arkham Knight. It's no longer their own original design. It's Origins and Nolan looking designs. Look at Batman's character model in that link, it was so original and unique to Rocksteady.

More:

More:

Her best design. Now she looks like Rocksteady hired a girl from Brazzers.

More:

For those who didn't understand the oversized exaggerated design of Killer Croc-

When Origins " humanised" him, it made his seem weak and non threatening. Everything doesn't have to follow the "real word". For movies and games we are suppose to suspend our disbelief of such things because it fits the movie or game better. Especially games.

To me, the new suit design looks in line with the new 52 look than anything else. A little more armor pieces.

Albo

If you only look at the titles themselves, sure. However, they are awful in terms of supporting games post-launch when issues arise, especially the cash-grab port jobs they farm out and don't allow the devs to fix issues after release. I think they're as bad or worse than a lot of other pubs people seem to hate.

Not with MK or Injustice. They each got at least 4 large patches post launch, and countless hotfixes (like quick stealth patches they can do on the fly) not too mention months of DLC characters, free costumes and some DLC content. Devs would come into competitive community fan forum sites all the time post launch to talk to the fans and get feedback.

- All quickfire gadgets can now be used during flight.
- Combat tweaks (note: Not enough time to go over these in detail. for example, you can throw by tilting left towards the opponent and hitting counter)
- did I mention the screenshots are gorgeous?

Back to work for me, sadly. :(

This is fantastic and news. Can't wait to see what crazy stuff they do with puzzles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom