• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight - Review Thread

The quickfire button was on the L1 button of the PS3 controller for Asylum and City. But according to several reviews, quickfire is now located on the L2 button instead. No one who's gotten the game has comment on whether or not you can map out the controls to their liking. I'm really hoping that the game will have the option to set the button layout that is more in line with Playstation controllers instead of the Xbox controllers.

You can map the settings of any of the the buttons for any game on the PS4... It was part of the last big OS update.. So this will not be a problem for you...

erawsd

It's really weird that neither PSN or Steam have preload available yet but Xbox has it available for 3 weeks now.

Its not weird. MS has been putting preloads a month ahead of release for a bit now. Sony has always stuck to 1-2 days before, so it should be up tomorrow.

Xux

To anyone who has this game, can the buttons be remapped? I own a PS4 and played the previous Arkham games -- both Asylum and City -- using the PS3 button layout.

I understand that the quickfire gadgets are now located on the L2 button to compensate for the batmobile. There's a toggle function that allows the batmobile to stay in battle mode without having to hold down the button. What options are there in controller configuration?
I wonder if Arkham Origins used this as the default to get people ready, lol.

R0C

InferiorMediumFlyinglemur.gif

Apologies it may be asked earlier but can someone confirm whether this is from PC or PS4

Am I right in thinking that the only real physics in Asylum, City and Origins were ragdoll physics on knocked out enemies? Don't recall being able to influence the position of any objects otherwise without precanning. Guess you could count things like the batarangs falling after hitting walls and the like.

Looks like they did a good job of it this time around.

Psykoboy2

There's no one streaming the game on Twitch. Until you see that Arkham City streams are WAY more popular at the moment than they should be.

SparkTR

Am I right in thinking that the only real physics in Asylum, City and Origins were ragdoll physics on knocked out enemies? Don't recall being able to influence the position of any objects otherwise without precanning. Guess you could count things like the batarangs falling after hitting walls and the like.

Looks like they did a good job of it this time around.

Yeah the previous games felt really static in terms of environmental stuff. The only other things I can think of were the PhysX effects in the PC versions.

Vex_

Banned
So does the Nvidia version of batman count as a preorder? Wanting to know if I get the Harley quinn dlc since I technically preordered.

I'm still relatively new to this whole pc gaming thing...

Corpekata

Banned
Until I see the preload live on Steam I am not believing it will be out on pc on launch day. Both Asylum and City were delayed on pc by a month right before launch.

With City it wasn't right before, it was like a month prior. Not sure about Asylum but I'd not expect a delay 48 hours from release.

hlhbk

With City it wasn't right before, it was like a month prior. Not sure about Asylum but I'd not expect a delay 48 hours from release.

I didn't expect the Batmobile CE to be canceled a month before release and the limited edition to be delayed a week before the release of the game (even though mine shows its not delayed and still set to arrive Tuesday?). At this point I won't be shocked by anything.

SlickVic

Well as long as there is a preload on Steam by Monday I'll be happy. Just cleared out enough space on the SSD for the occasion.

erawsd

Watched a little bit of that X1 stream. Performance seemed ok, there were a few drops though. Its interesting that... (minor continuity spoilers)
even though Rocksteady kept referring to this as a trilogy they have some callbacks to the events of Arkham Origins.

Walpurgis

Banned
The quickfire button was on the L1 button of the PS3 controller for Asylum and City. But according to several reviews, quickfire is now located on the L2 button instead. No one who's gotten the game has comment on whether or not you can map out the controls to their liking. I'm really hoping that the game will have the option to set the button layout that is more in line with Playstation controllers instead of the Xbox controllers.

Its so annoying what a lot of devs are doing this gen. I dont know why they think it is okay to switch playstation control schemes to xbox, as if that is better. I dont know why someone would shoot using R2 since that is the primary action in shooters. I shoot with my pointing finger using R1 because it makes sense. While it is true that Sony has thankfully provided us with a way to remap our controls, this doesnt excuse lazy devs from doing their damn jobs. I didnt like The Witcher 3s control scheme since it felt xboxy but couldnt remap for many hours because I was learning the controls and needed the button prompts to be accurate. Assassins Creed has also been ruined with this new nonsense control scheme. The only devs that actually care about PS3 players is EA with BF4 and PvZ: GW. Its a damn shame that Rocksteady followed this stupid trend, we can only hope that the controls are simple.

pahamrick

Watched a little bit of that X1 stream. Performance seemed ok, there were a few drops though. Its interesting that... (minor continuity spoilers)
even though Rocksteady kept referring to this as a trilogy they have some callbacks to the events of Arkham Origins.

There's been similar in some of the Arkham comics, so I wonder if it was something mandated by WB/DC.

InferiorMediumFlyinglemur.gif

Apologies it may be asked earlier but can someone confirm whether this is from PC or PS4

I have this pre-ordered on PS4 but I was somewhat hesitant on waiting to build a rig to buy it. Seems like is the game is a looker no matter what platform is on.

Xux

The director emphasized in an interview that Origins is totally canon and the "trilogy" refers to having Rocksteady as a developer.

So yeah about 5 hours in with a healthy mix of side/story this feels very much like AC. There's some fresh air pumped in with the bat mobile but its implementation is far from amazing. Think near perfect scores are absurd based on what I've played. It's pretty good, but not that good. Gotham is still kinda lifeless while there's a huge amount of thugs on the ground and in cars their interaction is still as one dimensional as in AC. Seems like a by the numbers final chapter of a game series that has run its course.

That's been my concern with the game. Everything looks the same as the last one I played(AC) with the exception of the batmobile. It's too bad he can't by design operate outside of the standard dark/city environment so as to at least add some variety

If that actually turns out to be the case then... Nice and YAY!

while its not fully set in stone...i saw something about package id's being the same. This was posted on the wb community forums

"You could try to launch steam with the -console paramter or just run "steam://open/console" and enter "licenses_for_app 208650" into the command line. It should give you a "License packageID".
Compare the package number with this list: https://steamdb.info/app/208650/subs/
It might be 68463 or 56900.
If it is 56900 you get exactly the same stuff as if you bought it right now on steam. But I guess it is 68463 which is a special CD-Key only package. As you can see the package includes 5 apps including the Arkham Knight app itself. The other 4 apps are surely DLC apps. Unfortunately the names are hidden but there are definitely some apps included.
However it all depends on your Package ID."

I did it and got the 56900 one, which is listed as being the same as a store bought copy

Fury451

Banned

That's really going to mess with my muscle memory :(

Simo

I didn't expect the Batmobile CE to be canceled a month before release and the limited edition to be delayed a week before the release of the game (even though mine shows its not delayed and still set to arrive Tuesday?). At this point I won't be shocked by anything.

I don't think the LE is delayed. It sounds like there may be some packaging issues with Amazon UK and the exclusive LE they're offering and the one gaffer here based in the US sounds like it's a case of bad luck and allocation.

Considering the LE was available through most major retailers and no delay or issue has been officially announced I'd say we should be good. I actually came across this one Instagram so they're obviously being shipped out in the US:
18983101586_9b991f5406_o.jpg

Didn't want to post a photo of the statue since it's a spoiler but it comes in it's own box.

Walpurgis

Banned
I don't think the LE is delayed. It sounds like there may be some packaging issues with Amazon UK and the exclusive LE they're offering and the one gaffer here based in the US sounds like it's a case of bad luck and allocation.

Considering the LE was available through most major retailers and no delay or issue has been officially announced I'd say we should be good. I actually came across this one Instagram so they're obviously being shipped out in the US:
18983101586_9b991f5406_o.jpg

Didn't want to post a photo of the statue since it's a spoiler but it comes in it's own box.

The statue is a spoiler too? First it was the trailer at Sony's conference, now this? Come on WB, this is crazy... Cover looks awesome though.

Simo

Any good unboxing video yet?

There was controversy over the statue?

The nameplate on the statue hinted at what could be a possible spoiler. Amazon's page had a photo of the LE set and HQ image where you could read the plate but quickly swapped out the image for a PR correct one where the plate had different wording.

Statue in question.
NYCC-2014-Triforce-014.jpg

while its not fully set in stone...i saw something about package id's being the same. This was posted on the wb community forums

"You could try to launch steam with the -console paramter or just run "steam://open/console" and enter "licenses_for_app 208650" into the command line. It should give you a "License packageID".
Compare the package number with this list: https://steamdb.info/app/208650/subs/
It might be 68463 or 56900.
If it is 56900 you get exactly the same stuff as if you bought it right now on steam. But I guess it is 68463 which is a special CD-Key only package. As you can see the package includes 5 apps including the Arkham Knight app itself. The other 4 apps are surely DLC apps. Unfortunately the names are hidden but there are definitely some apps included.
However it all depends on your Package ID."

I did it and got the 56900 one, which is listed as being the same as a store bought copy

Checked mine and same here and don't see a "free version" sort of listing there. Hope that means we're good, if so.
acCwA5F.gif

Top Bottom