• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham VR will be PSVR exclusive until 31 March 2017 (?)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
https://m.facebook.com/SonyPlaystation/posts/1587391571286832

Its in the gif on sony playstation facebook
http://giphy.com/gifs/l2SpRZ4STMT7EJyTK

b9d9d3_e277029165ad4394adbed37e7640fca0~mv2.jpg

Credit to Family Fry in the PSVR thread

Also RE7 for only a year but we already have a thread for that
nN3hJaX.jpg

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Fixed.

Like, what's the point of timed exclusive VR games? It sounds like some people ended up putting the cart before the horse

Isn't it the same point as timed exclusive console games?

Wait what? RE7 has a PSVR exlusivity deal? What kind of bullshit is this, to shun the platform which cultivated VR in the first place.

Pretty lame, that was the only VR game I was looking forward to.

There will be work arounds anyway, to hell with their official support.

KyleCross

So is there any video of this yet? I'm just wondering how exactly you're going to be the Goddamn Batman in VR. I imagine it's either going to be very limited, or very janky.

jeffram

I only approve of exclusives when the funding enables the game to be made. Don't know enough about this particular situation.

Well the box art kind of gave away that it would be a timed exclusive

51TgLe%2BGxiL._SX215_.jpg

Though it having PS4 Console Exclusive game on it makes me fear that Xbox may never get it

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Isn't it the same point as timed exclusive console games?

What's IS point of timed exclusive console games? Or timed anything really?

If your going to make or fund an exclusive for your platform, you should just do it. I don't see anyone going out tripping over themselves to buy a console for clearly defined timed console exclusive material, cause it will obviously go somewhere else as made transparently clear by the fact that it is indeed timed.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
What's IS point of timed exclusive console games? Or timed anything really?

If your going to make or fund an exclusive for your platform, you should just do it. I don't see anyone going out tripping over themselves to buy a console for clearly defined timed console exclusive material, cause it will obviously go somewhere else as made transparently clear by the fact that it is indeed timed.

I imagine enough console exclusive games by 3rd parties bombed that they began to shy away from complete exclusivity; coupled with the idea that then the company paying out pays less, for a timed exclusive, and is basically taking advantage of people with compulsive buying habits. Geeky hobbies like gaming attract such people in hoards so it makes sense.

I like to imagine that there are people dealing with excel spread sheets who make such decisions.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
PC Version of a Rocksteady Arkham project? I'm sure it'll be great and have no problems!!

novabolt

I think Rocksteady and Capcom are probably betting on the PS4 PSVR version will take in a large majority of sales. I really hope that's the case for them.

MUnited83

For you.
If we want VR to thrive it needs big games. If Sony's willing to throw the money around to get AAA developers on board then that's a good thing.

I don't think Batman Arkham VR exactly qualifies as a "big game"
Mind you that the game would exist either way with or without Sony's involvement.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This is the kind of thing i hate, and what i hated on MS for doing with full games. The game is obviously coming to other platforms, if your just going to make a deal to keep it off other platforms even though WB obviously have the money to invest in a PC and a PS4 concurrent release, that is shameful.

But i guess, why should i expect anything different really

demigod

Devs are taking advantage of Sony. Sony is stupid for paying for these timed exclusives since xbox has no VR.

ArtHands

It's a one hour game, and I highly doubt a publisher like WB needs Sony's funding.

True but that doesnt mean WB are interested in using their own money for VR in the first place. They are only doing it because Sony is forking out the money

Pehaps paying is a better word than funding.

Burglekutt

Devs are taking advantage of Sony. Sony is stupid for paying for these timed exclusives since xbox has no VR.

I think the one thing all the VR companies are in agreement about is that its more important to grow the market than to fight over the share of a small market. As someone that has a day 1 psvr preodered I think its great that the other headsets will get this. If youre excited for VR you should be rooting for VR, not your particular headset. Sony will still have its 1st party exclusives.

1. Batman is not a big game, it's a 1 hour experience.

2. Did Sony even fund the game?

I don't think Batman Arkham VR exactly qualifies as a "big game"
Mind you that the game would exist either way with or without Sony's involvement.

Pedants. I meant big as in brand name, not length. Even if it is meant to be 3 hours long max, it's still Batman.

And based on the number of AAA developers Sony have lined up to produce something for PSVR (DICE, Infinity Ward, Rocksteady, Capcom, Square Enix and Bandai Namco), whether they're short games/modes or long, I'd be surprised if they weren't partially funding most of them. There has to be some incentive to even bother with VR.

ArtHands

I think the one thing all the VR companies are in agreement about is that its more important to grow the market than to fight over the share of a small market. As someone that has a day 1 psvr preodered I think its great that the other headsets will get this. If youre excited for VR you should be rooting for VR, not your particular headset. Sony will still have its 1st party exclusives.

True. HTC is funding many VR titles while not locking them to the HTC vive platform. they even encourage those developers to release it everywhere, as they prioritze getting the contents out there rather than selling their headsets.

Its unfortunate though understandable that Sony isn't doing the same

Agent X

And based on the number of AAA developers Sony have lined up to produce something for PSVR (DICE, Infinity Ward, Rocksteady, Capcom, Square Enix and Bandai Namco), whether they're short games/modes or long, I'd be surprised if they weren't partially funding most of them. There has to be some incentive to even bother with VR.

That's what I think is happening. Sony might be giving these developers/publishers a monetary incentive in order to get the VR content produced in the first place. These are VR games that might not exist otherwise.

I'm sure that if these major league publishers really wanted to do so, they could have taken the initiative, and produced the games on their own for all the major VR platforms. If these games are exclusive to PSVR, then I'm compelled to believe that Sony had at least some hand in enabling their development. If that's the case, then would it be wrong for Sony to request a period of exclusivity? It's a two-way street.

demigod

They also said pc is not their competitor. If it was, SFV and NMS wouldn't be out on the same day/week(nms).

Im getting psvr day one, this time exclusive is just wasted money for Sony when they can use that money on better things.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
5 dollar gift card and GCU makes batman a 11 dollar game for me. I feel much better about that after hearing its a very short experience.

ArtHands

They also said pc is not their competitor. If it was, SFV and NMS wouldn't be out on the same day/week(nms).

Im getting psvr day one, this time exclusive is just wasted money for Sony when they can use that money on better things.

Sony doesn't have absolute control over 3rd party titles like SFV and NMS. Maybe they refuses to sign a full on exclusive clause with Sony unless they gets to release on PC too.

Top Bottom