• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Court of Owls game possibly in development at Warner Bros. Montreal.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.windowscentral.com/batman-court-owls-game-possibly-development-warner-bros-montreal

Today, GamingMonk spotted a Warner Bros. Montreal employee showing off a shirt with the Court of Owls logo. According to DC Comics, the Court of Owls is an organized crime group and secret society in Batman and other graphic novels. They've existed since Colonial-era Gotham City and their objective is to controls all aspects of people's lives. What's worse is that the Court of Owls kidnaps children from the circus, and trains them into assassins known as "Talons." If you cross the Court of Owls by trying to undermine their power, the Talons come after you.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Could be cool, CoO was a pretty great storyline. If anyone's interested you just need the first two volumes from the New 52 era Batman.

FranXico

If this is the case, it could have a great story, engaging gameplay, but be very buggy (based on my experience with Arkham Origins).

Oh no...oh nononono... not WB Monty... not the guys responsible for the forked up fighting and the disgusting texture work in Arkham Origins. Bad Monty, bad!

There was a Batman Court of Owls supposed leak a year or two ago that most everyone wrote off. It was called Batman Arkham Insurgency or something...

Seems to be difficult to find the details of now because the original reddit post of deleted.. Made by WB Montreal, Batman and Dick Greyson, time of day, co op, coastal part of gotham, was supposed to come out end of 2017 but was looking to be delayed.

There was apparently another similar one about two months ago calling it Batman Arkham Universe which had almost all of the same details of the previous leak but the playable character list was updated to include the whole bat family.

*Edit - Apparently the more recent leak mentions the game is being released by Rocksteady. Which if we were to assume is true may explain some of the rumors we've heard over the past couple years of Montreals batman game getting canceled or rebooted. Maybe it was a mess and they brought Rocksteady in to take over the project and finish it.

Last edited:
So if this doesn't get released next year on current gen, then it's a launch title for next gen? And then Rocksteady's whatever game, Justice League or something (Harry Potter like the leaked video), released later on 2020/2021? Quite the change from last gen output wise.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
As someone who hasn't even touched an Arkham game, this sounds pretty cool.

You really, really should play at least Asylum and City. Two of the best games of the last ten years.

Snakey125

So if this doesn't get released next year on current gen, then it's a launch title for next gen? And then Rocksteady's whatever game, Justice League or something (Harry Potter like the leaked video), released later on 2020/2021? Quite the change from last gen output wise.

The potter game is being done by an entirely different company. It's not by Montreal or Rocksteady.

It's coming to current-gen, but the announcement won't be til E3 of next year.

Zimmy68

There's a rumor a game is being made because someone wore a t-shirt? I feel like I'm missing something...
I seem to remember hearing about a Arkham game based on the Owls storyline a few months back. This just bolsters it.
It makes sense to me and I would welcome a more focused Arkham Knight type game without the Joker and Rogue Gallery baggage.

VulcanRaven

I'm not sure about that name but a new Batman game would be great. I hope it has living breathing city with people in it.

Airbus Jr

Banned
This time they shouldve used UE4 and ditch the heavy modified UE 3,5

And make the game for nextgen

I deff won't be getting this for PS4

nordique

I'll be really disappointed if Rocksteady is working on another Batman game. It's played out. Time to move on.

Speak for yourself

I really enjoyed the batman games, I'm a huge fan of the character, and would welcome more

A batman beyond game would be...beyond awesome. Though I feel we'd need next gen to do it justice

Court of Owls? I'm in. Probably the best addition to the rogue's gallery since Harley Quinn. I almost pulled the trigger on some Court of Owls miniatures for the Batman Miniatures Game today.

FranXico

Sounds like a prequel. Expect the "complex story" to throw the Joker in at some point.

Last edited:
Here's what I envision.

The Wayne manor and Batcave acts as your hub, you can explore the whole thing and when you're ready hop into the Batmobile and go fight some crime in the entirety of Gotham City from the start, even including a return to Arkham Asylum.

That's what I want.

This time they shouldve used UE4 and ditch the heavy modified UE 3,5

And make the game for nextgen

I deff won't be getting this for PS4

I can't imagine they'd use U3 again.

Was AK the last AAA game to use U3? Kind of amazing to think it had a 9 year run.

Sounds like a prequel. Expect the "complex story" to throw the Joker in at some point.

It would be stupid to have a BATMAN game and not have the Joker in some capacity, what are you talking about?

VertigoOA

Banned
Finally! Fuck Spider-Man.

As long I can play Batman and don’t have super friends and the Justice league shitting up the game.

Excited. Batman is the best. Could care less about other comic book stuff but Batman will always be the greatest of alllllllll time.

Batman.gif

Last edited:
Finally! Fuck Spider-Man.

As long I can play Batman and don’t have super friends and the Justice league shitting up the game.

Excited. Batman is the best. Could care less about other comic book stuff but Batman will always be the greatest of alllllllll time.

Batman.gif
True dat!
739408.jpg

VulcanRaven

I wish they would make a game based on Tim Burton's Batman. He could have some creative input. It would be the third movie we never got. They should get Michael Keaton as Batman and Billy Dee Williams as Two-Face. That would be awesome.

Last edited:

Strider311

I just wish we were also getting all those other cancelled/rumored games as well. Suicide Squad, Arkham Beyond and the Damian Wayne one. I will never tire of Batman.

VertigoOA

Banned
I wish they would make a game based on Tim Burton's Batman. He could have some creative input. It would be the third movie we never got. They should get Michael Keaton as Batman and Billy Dee Williams as Two-Face. That would be awesome.

I’ve been wanting this forever.

That or a one shot micheal Keaton old-man Batman. Like I care about the shared universe, if I see that classic batmobile and elfman music I will .... be very happy :messenger_neutral:

Geki-D

Banned
Gotham City features a day/night cycle and is 1.7x bigger than GTA V.
This makes me question how real this is or at least how precise the info is.
It's already bad enough that they confirmed Superman exists in the Arkham games universe in Arkham Knight.

Last edited:
I just wish we were also getting all those other cancelled/rumored games as well. Suicide Squad, Arkham Beyond and the Damian Wayne one. I will never tire of Batman.

Wasn't there going to be a Gotham By Gaslight game? I'd like to see that.

Batman is one of those things that never gets old for me as well, it's not even close to done after AK, there's still a lot they can do.

Kadayi

Banned

• 2 Years in development and will launch in 2019.
  • Court Of Owls is the main antagonist.
  • Will Be Revealed in March and will launch on October on Halloween midnight. Could Be delayed to November.
  • Aims to be GOTY 2019
  • A 12-act story with each act being 1 hour long.
  • A much more complex story.
  • Gotham City features a day/night cycle and is 1.7x bigger than GTA V.
  • Batwing will replace the Batmobile. It can be used in combat or as a mode of transportation.
  • Features co-op multiplayer but not integrated into the main story. Co-op will be playable for some side missions.
  • Side quests have been dramatically changed and won’t be 15 minutes long. Each side quest features 3-hours of story.
  • No more Riddler trophies. They have been replaced with 31 complex challenges.

1.7x the size of GTA V

tenor.gif

I don't doubt the tech ability, but populating something that large is another matter entirely in terms of content. Still looking forward to hearing more.

Airbus Jr

Banned
  • Will Be Revealed in March and will launch on October on Halloween midnight. Could Be delayed to November.
  • Aims to be GOTY 2019
  • Batwing will replace the Batmobile. It can be used in combat or as a mode of transportation.
  • Features co-op multiplayer but not integrated into the main story. Co-op will be playable for some side missions.
  • Side quests have been dramatically changed and won’t be 15 minutes long. Each side quest features 3-hours of story.

1.7x the size of GTA V

tenor.gif

I don't doubt the tech ability, but populating something that large is another matter entirely in terms of content. Still looking forward to hearing more.

Thank god no more Ridler trophy

So sick of it

Seeing the (?) Symbol on a cage without being able to take it really frustrates me

And 1.7x Los Santos? This is gonna be huge

Will be revealed in March you better keep your words now😛!!!

• Aims to be GOTY 2019

1.7x the size of GTA V

tenor.gif

I don't like the idea of there being no Batmobile.

I wonder if the reason there's only a Batwing and no Batmobile is because they couldn't figure out what to do if you run someone over in a populated Gotham.

Though to me it's obvious, just make it to where you only drive on roads or have it automatically swerve out of the way, the Batmobile could just kinda "drive itself" a bit instead of having total direct control like in AK.

But it should be there in some capacity, it'd be dumb to have Batman fly everywhere when he could just drive.

I wonder if the reason there's only a Batwing and no Batmobile is because they couldn't figure out what to do if you run someone over in a populated Gotham.

Though to me it's obvious, just make it to where you only drive on roads or have it automatically swerve out of the way, the Batmobile could just kinda "drive itself" a bit instead of having total direct control like in AK.

But it should be there in some capacity, it'd be dumb to have Batman fly everywhere when he could just drive.
Maybe they take the Batmobile from the PS1-Batman&Robin-game, with wind from the right direction this abomination of a car should straight up fly upwards :D
Dibujo4.bmp

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I remember thinking the Court of Owls would translate well as videogame baddies while reading the storyline.

Hope this rumor pans out.

Zimmy68

There were other games (and even AK) that got around that by having the NPCs magically dive out of the way at the last second.
I'm ok with no Batmobile since gliding is faster for me but it would be nice to have some ground transport like a motorcycle, etc.

VulcanRaven

I hope the city will have people this time. Also cars driving. I want to be Batman in normal Gotham City.

Last edited:

Sentenza

It matches other rumors in part, but half of that list sounds more like wishful thinking than something genuinely possible.
Jason Schreier from Kotaku just debunked this rumor on twitter.

Frankly I'd say with the surprise of no one.

Last edited:
Not to be pedantic, but he denied the rumor on Twitter, he didn't debunk it. Debunking would need some sort of verifiable evidence or logical explanation that it was false beyond just claiming it as so. You can't just go into a flat earth forum and go, "Nah" and consider the belief debunked.

Dacon

Banned

Frankly I'd say with the surprise of no one.

I dont think you should take anything this clown says at face value. However this rumor is way too unlikely to be true.

Top Bottom