• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Chasers Nightwar |OT| Party Like its 1998!

Azuardo

Not sure if a review thread is being made.

Here is our review:

Cubed3: 8/10 - Great
Battle Chasers: Nightwar is very much like the PlayStation JRPGs that it is influenced by. There are elements from Final Fantasy, Suikoden, and even some Diablo. It is a shining example of why people love turn-based RPGs, thanks to the emphasis on character building, management and strategy. The presentation ties everything together with a strong sense of adventure and atmosphere without any hint of cynicism or pretension. This is a game that keeps on giving due to a slew of content that invites people to keep on playing way past the 40-hour mark, and because of the carefully constructed and balanced battle system, it is always exciting to travel this long and tense road. It may have a few rough and inconsistent spots here and there, yet Nightwar remains amazing in spite of its flaws and comes highly recommended to any fan of RPGs.

Not sure if a review thread is being made.

Here is our review:

Cubed3: 8/10 - Great

How in depth or atleast expansive is the skill system? if you dont mind me asking.
my only fear is that the trailer showed off the ultimate attacks and stuff already and there wont be too much variety(think child of light for comparison?)

BT-727

Neo Member
How in depth or atleast expansive is the skill system? if you dont mind me asking.
my only fear is that the trailer showed off the ultimate attacks and stuff already and there wont be too much variety(think child of light for comparison?)

Skills unlock as you level up. There isn't much depth or variety as compared to say, FFX's sphere grid. But what's nice is, you can modify stats and abilities with points you obtain per level. For example: if you prefer using Calibretto as a healer instead of a tank, you can bulk up that section of his attributes for faster cool down, better healing etc.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
this is out on monday (oct3rd). any previews/impressions yet?

I've played about an hour and honestly it didn't grab me. It's possible that it improves futher down the line and that I simply need to give it more time or It could be that I'm in the minority with this one. In any case, I'd say it'd be worth keeping half and eye on reviews.

There was a big come-down very early on concerning one of the game's biggest selling points for me - something you won't see in the OP screens - and it really soured me. Hopefully it won't for most people, but I'd be lying if I said it was the only thing that put me off...

I've had some minor stuttering here and there and about 4 sudden crashes on ps4 pro unfortunately. And I've played about 10 hours now.

Great reviews! My interest keeps increasing.

i believe it was stated to be epic length, so anywhere between 50 for a simple run through, to 100's for NG+ and 100% stuff.

Wow, really?

I thought it's decently long, but not that long. I wonder what makes the jump from 50 to 100 though, is it packed with side quests and activities?

I haven't been following this game religiously outside of having watched some trailers and gameplay videos.

BT-727

Neo Member
I've had some minor stuttering here and there and about 4 sudden crashes on ps4 pro unfortunately. And I've played about 10 hours now.

Yikes. Been playing on the PS4 Pro as well. I got lucky. Most I suffered was long load times. Others have had progress erased after 20 hours.

Snoopycat

Banned
I noticed the reviews for this on Metacritic while I was looking for Dragon's Dogma. Never heard of it but it looks good. I'm seriously considering putting off DD and buyng this instead.

TagZ

Anyone on Xbox able to see Battle Chasers in the store? I would have thought a pre-order would be up but I'm getting nothing. Only the American Microsoft store website lists the game.

Edit: Spoke with the always useless Xbox customer support and they have no idea where the game is.

dan2026

It's kind of shitty the guy couldn't be bothered to finish his comic series before legging it out of the industry.
I can't image what being a fan of this in the 90s must of been like.

Exentryk

It's kind of shitty the guy couldn't be bothered to finish his comic series before legging it out of the industry.

I recall hearing that after the game he will be releasing more comics.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I’m reading the comic for the first time right now and with only a few issues left, it really feels like it’s barely getting started. I would probably loathe Madureira for abandoning it had I jumped aboard in the 90’s.

Mifec

I’m reading the comic for the first time right now and with only a few issues left, it really feels like it’s barely getting started. I would probably loathe Madureira for abandoning it had I jumped aboard in the 90’s.

Nothing much happens at all, just ends on a flashback after 9 issues rofl.

thekeats

Neo Member

I was a fan back then, and i stil am, but it was hard to feel anything as it took 2-3 years to actually publish a 9 issue monthly.

Kickstarted this and not even been back to read issue 0.

But looking forward to the game.

TeeDoff

Neo Member
Played for 4 hours so far on the Pro, no issues other than some long loading. Really enjoying it so far!

Blyr

Banned
Never even heard of this before but it's definitely up my alley, added it to my steam wishlist! Thank you for the awareness topic OP! <3

Ricker

I've played about an hour and honestly it didn't grab me. It's possible that it improves futher down the line and that I simply need to give it more time or It could be that I'm in the minority with this one. In any case, I'd say it'd be worth keeping half and eye on reviews.

There was a big come-down very early on concerning one of the game's biggest selling points for me - something you won't see in the OP screens - and it really soured me. Hopefully it won't for most people, but I'd be lying if I said it was the only thing that put me off...

What's this come-down...? too spoilery to mention...is it story driven or you where surprised its turn based...?

I never read the comics but I like the art style,its like Darksiders right,I adore Darksiders art style.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
impressions here, especially on lenght, are making a hard push for day 1. Will probably bite at humble with the extra 10% from the monthly.

What's this come-down...? too spoilery to mention...is it story driven or you where surprised its turn based...?

Red Monika's bikini armor, he couldnt handle it :3

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional

I never read the comics but I like the art style,its like Darksiders right,I adore Darksiders art style.

Not masssively spoilery and yeah I'm all about the turn-based stuff and I love the artstyle of this game too. The big let down was that I didn't see all that much of it in the first hour. Basically, after the intro cutsence you're dropped into this luscious pre-rendered backdrop and set off exploring - for about two or three minutes.

After this you emerge into a fairly ugly and drab overworld map. You can't wander off the drawn paths, so you just move along pre-determined tracks in what I assumed was a sort of stage selector.

But it wasn't. I began running into battles and loot chests and when I saw a town up ahead, I figured this would pull me into another beautiful pre-rendered environment, but no - you explore this first town only in the overworld, moving along two or three locked paths and arriving at building nodes that then trigger conversaion overlays.

It felt almost like a board game. It was a good twenty minutes of exploring before i found another pre-rendered, full-art area and learned that these are called 'Exploration Areas'.

It was again, stunning, but comprised no more than a short run of stairs, a little clearing and a battle for which I got a key item, then it was back to the overworld to progress along another path, doing battles, looting chests and so forth.

Based on my short time, it seemed like the bulk of the game took place on this overworld and the gorgeous art that had initially really drawn me in, comprised maybe 20% or so of the game.

As I say, this is only an hour of gameplay. It could be that this dramatically shifts as the game progresses, but as a first impression it didn't sit very well.

This playthough from Cryaotic shows what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6PxJ0NGzKU

How many cities/hubs are there? Is this a grand adventure style where you get to travel from one town to another?

I think I've read somewhere before that there's only one main hub in this game and we get to explore to all directions for the entire game. Hopefully I'm remembering it wrong though.

KodaRuss

Thanks for this thread, I had no idea that this game had some previous material to it. I really like the art style and I am keeping my eye on it.

Likely going to wait for the Switch version because this game on the go might be perfection.

Feeroper

This game wasn't on my radar at all, but it looks pretty decent! I'm going to hold out for the Switch version though, maybe leave this as a potential Xmas gift option for my family.

How familiar does one have to be with the comic though? Could anyone just pick this up or does it assume you know the comic storyline up to present?

BT-727

Neo Member
This game wasn't on my radar at all, but it looks pretty decent! I'm going to hold out for the Switch version though, maybe leave this as a potential Xmas gift option for my family.

How familiar does one have to be with the comic though? Could anyone just pick this up or does it assume you know the comic storyline up to present?

I don't know anything about the comics. Found it fun regardless.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is someone making an actual OT or is this act as the OT?

Top Bottom