• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Chasers Nightwar |OT| Party Like its 1998!

I was hoping someone with better ot skills would do it so i never claimed it... Or if we wanna keep this the ot, im fine with that, ill clean it up a bit.

This a pretty good thread, I'd keep it but it'll need a name change (if there's no OT incoming).

Skilletor

Definitely had some stuttering on PC. On both my laptop and my desktop which is pretty beefy. Elemental effects like rain, smoke, fire and the like in dungeons causes pretty big dips in framerate.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Definitely had some stuttering on PC. On both my laptop and my desktop which is pretty beefy. Elemental effects like rain, smoke, fire and the like in dungeons causes pretty big dips in framerate.

That is less than ideal :/

KiraXD

Hey... could a Mod just change the title to
Battle Chasers Nightwar [OT] Party Like its 1998!
ive updated and cleaned it up... lets go ahead and make this the OT... seems okay yeah?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hey... could a Mod just change the title to ive updated and cleaned it up... lets go ahead and make this the OT... seems okay yeah?

if by ok you mean "that looks like any OT should and then some" then yes, its ok :p

aett

It's going to be tough to keep myself from buying another version of this while I wait for the Switch version to be finished. Battle Chasers (the comic) was just about everything I liked as a 16 year old rolled into one, and to see more from these characters and this setting in an RPG sounds amazing.

KiraXD

Hearing about long load times on the PS4 version has me worried about the Switch version. Might need to grab it on PC since I've got a SSD there.

I believe the devs were saying long initial load time on PS4, but things are constantly loaded in the background so the load times are cut down during the play sessions.

I believe the devs were saying long initial load time on PS4, but things are constantly loaded in the background so the load times are cut down during the play sessions.

Oh, if that's the case than that's not too bad, especially on the Switch where you can just leave a game you're playing suspended when you're not playing it.

Rhaknar

Just realised Red Waifu isn't one of the starting characters... this will not do.

KiraXD

Heres some fun stuff.

a few pages from the NEVER RELEASED Issue #10!

o8Qo8qv.jpg

XZcX88D.jpg

Y3H77wo.jpg

yiBT4oz.jpg

DliRasR.jpg

(Kwanchang is Joe Madureira's official Art Dealer... if you want some original art check him out... hes a really awesome guy too)

Fun Fact:
2 Henchmen from the Battle Chasers Comic were named Bengus and Akiman... After the popular well knows 90's capcom artists!

(The fat one is Bengus, the skinny one is Akiman)
08t7DJR.jpg

hWUo0HN.jpg

Ricker

So if I understand right,only backers will get a physical copy or will this be in retail stores tomorrow...?

played it for an hour,
the animations are incredible. the combat seems to be more than just hitting shit with the strongest attack and i love that you can charge up extra mana to use your skills instead of drying up the pool.
Im probably gonna like it a lot.
Good start to the crazy ass gaming season thats gonna go on for like the next 6 months at least

Ricker

itll be available tomorrow... backers just got the option to upgrade their package to a physical version.

Ah ok cool...It's currently on a 4 bucks discount if you pre-order on the PSN store but I would rather get a physical copy.

melkier33

Noticed backers could claim key codes just now. It gave me an EU key code for ps4 even though I had selected NA. Any one trying to claim on PS4 might want to wait a bit and see if it gets sorted. I just sent an email and the forums are not loading for me at the moment.

Edit: Issue seems to be resolved.

SirKhalid

Noticed backers could claim key codes just now. It gave me an EU key code for ps4 even though I had selected NA. Any one trying to claim on PS4 might want to wait a bit and see if it gets sorted. I just sent an email and the forums are not loading for me at the moment.

Cool thanks for the heads up. Downloading my Xbox One copy!

Greyvvolf

If you backed the game on Kickstarter, how did everyone get the option for a physical upgrade? Was it available automatically at a certain tier?

melkier33

If you backed the game on Kickstarter, how did everyone get the option for a physical upgrade? Was it available automatically at a certain tier?

I think Kickstarter people had to make an account at the battle chasers website and the upgrade was offered there. I think you have to make an account there to redeem your codes anyway if you haven't. I didn't back on Kickstarter so there might have been another option I'm not aware of, but I think the physical upgrade was more of a recent option given.

DMiz

I actually really love how those pages look in black-and-white, and almost prefer it to their coloured versions.

I realize that, in this day and age, you're not going to get away with a comic in the Western publishing world without at least some colours; but i'm almost curious to know if there was a way that Joe could just publish a comic that was just inks and pencils, in a format that wouldn't be substantially different from Japanese manga.

melkier33

Will the beta I downloaded earlier stop functioning?
Since I'm waiting for my Switch copy

I think they turned off the beta today, also I'm pretty sure I read if you are a backer and upgraded to physical they are giving you another system key of choice so you can play on launch. Forums are down so I can't verify and I didn't upgrade to physical so I'm not entirely positive I'm remembering right.

KiraXD

Fffffuck... It gave me EU code too despite the button saying NA

Update:
Devs are on it!

Burt

Steam keys are out and updated.

Onward!

Except I'm kinda a bit lost because I've forgotten the ropes but am continuing my old save

I'm sure this'll be fine

bodine1231

Ugh getting some nasty slowdown in the explore areas on my 1070 at 4K,every other areas including battle runs smooth.

Rhaknar

thankfully I only play at 1080p

Rhaknar

Is there no slowdown at 1080p?

err I dunno, but you peeps seem to be having trouble at 4K so... I dont do no fancy downsampling and shit on my games lol.

Oh? Huh, I thought it adapted everything released and they continued from there.
So this is a contained story?

as far as I know it is, I could be wrong tho.

Skilletor

Is there no slowdown at 1080p?

My laptop can run this at 1080p, but I still get massive drops in dungeons. I haven't played much at 1080p on my desktop to say.

err I dunno, but you peeps seem to be having trouble at 4K so... I dont do no fancy downsampling and shit on my games lol.

as far as I know it is, I could be wrong tho.

I mean...this isn't exactly a demanding game, lol.

I really wanted to get this on Switch, but with the delay I guess I'll pick it up on PC.

Is there any DLC or extra characters planned? I didn't follow the Kickstarter closely, sorry.

Either way, hope this and Golf Story are enough indie RPG goodness to tide me over until Indivisible.

TeeDoff

Neo Member
Can you remove my 2 biggest fear ?

This is loot drop fest ?
Any sort of Scaling other then choose difficulty setting ?

Thank you !

Sorry for the late reply!

1) It isn't really a loot fest. Each creature seems to have a loot table, but you mainly get crafting gear outside of boss type enemies. I have gotten the same green tunic multiple times for Gully, for example, but then there is some variation in what you can get on blue or purple variants.

Buying from the shop is probably a better option than hoping to loot.

2) There wasn't a difficulty setting choice (from memory) it is just a default difficulty and then when you get to a dungeon it gives you 3 choices. Each choice has a different loot box as a reward - You have to complete a dungeon on normal or heroic first to unlock legendary. Legendary seems to up HP and damage and dieing in the dungeon will reset it apparently, I didn't die so no idea what normally happens.

Edit: Enemies scale a little bit to your level, but believe they have a cap. So the starting bats are level 1 but can go up to 3.

Burt

Haven't had any technical issues on my 980 at 1080p. Never got the impression the game was anything other than buttery smooth. Maybe it's a 4K thing?

Top Bottom