• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Chasers Nightwar |OT| Party Like its 1998!

KiraXD

Oh? Huh, I thought it adapted everything released and they continued from there.
So this is a contained story?

Its a side story based after the comics. But not directly tied to the comic story. (Most of the comics story is told in the game through comic panel cutscenes and lore)

There will be 3 more comics directly following issue 9, wrapping up the first official comic story. The game is meant as a buildup for a new chapter and new stories. (Does that make sense?)

Gothos

Wait, the full game is playable already? Or is it just still beta? Shows 4GB download after applying backer key on Steam.

KiraXD

Wait, the full game is playable already? Or is it just still beta? Shows 4GB download after applying backer key on Steam.

full game, you were able to start playing earlier last night/this morning if you backed it... everyone else has to wait until the morning, 10am pst for steam, 11am PSN... not 100% sure though.

Gothos

Awesome! Diving in, then! :) It's quite small download though, wasn't beta like 3,8 GB? So it's only 200MB more, hmmmm.....

melkier33

Played a bit on PS4, there's a known issue where the game will crash on PS4 after a few hours of play. Had a crash after I cleared the first dungeon, not a huge deal and I'm sure it will get sorted out rather quickly. So far really enjoying it, was a bit worried as turned based rpgs haven't really been for me for a long time. I like that you can burn a ton of materials to craft higher quality gear. Really like how everything is put together presented so far, feels kind of fresh and unique but familiar at the same time. Not super far in but only complaint so far is I wish there was more voice acting, it's pretty well done in my opinion, for a new studio working on a smaller game I was honestly expecting the voice acting to be cringe worthy. Excited to play some more tomorrow.

Sir Doom

Backers Question

On your inventory you have a selection of platform to redeem the code; once you pick one of those that’s it right?
Since Switch is still not available

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
read the comics yesterday, yeah it was nothing special
still gonna check out this game though

The comics are a "cult classic" because of 2 things.

Joe Max's art and the fact he was so fucking slow putting them out and never finished it (hell, or advanced the story much).

The story / universe itself is pretty standard fantasy stuff, albeit with great character design, but that's tied with Joe's art.

KiraXD

The comics are a "cult classic" because of 2 things.

Joe Max's art and the fact he was so fucking slow putting them out and never finished it (hell, or advanced the story much).

The story / universe itself is pretty standard fantasy stuff, albeit with great character design, but that's tied with Joe's art.

Plus at the time, the setting was fairly fresh... No one was doing Fantasy setting comics. It was the late 90's macho superhero comics,Once Battle Chasers hit, EVERYONE jumped on board.

Tellos (by the late Mike Wieringo)
Warlands (a VERY anime style book by pre-udon)
Steampunk (My favorite Chris Bachalo book!)

But yeah Joe Madureira was hot off X-men, and during a time that his style was still VERY popular and unique.

I can safely say, Battle Chasers, and Joes Art DIRECTLY inspired the entire Blizzard-style games and art you see these days.

Finaika

Plus at the time, the setting was fairly fresh... No one was doing Fantasy setting comics. It was the late 90's macho superhero comics,Once Battle Chasers hit, EVERYONE jumped on board.

Tellos (by the late Mike Wieringo)
Warlands (a VERY anime style book by pre-udon)
Steampunk (My favorite Chris Bachalo book!)

But yeah Joe Madureira was hot off X-men, and during a time that his style was still VERY popular and unique.

I can safely say, Battle Chasers, and Joes Art DIRECTLY inspired the entire Blizzard-style games and art you see these days.

He inspired Overwatch?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The classic-blizzard art direction... Yes.

not untrue, if Joe only really brought anime-style to mainstream I guess. Im not knocking him for it, just thats what he did :p

edit: out on Steam, installing now

Nosgoth

Neo Member
It's live for all on steam, downloading now.

Though can only get to really play this tomorrow, it's 1 am where I am, and I got work tomorrow...

Nosgoth

Neo Member
Running on my 3770k + 1070, mostly flawless, but serious stuttering on the overmap.
Hopefully will get a fix soon.

Rhaknar

game runs perfectly for me at 1080p on high settings. Like I said earlier, I dont really delve into downsampling and shit so /shrug

game sure is a looker, love the battle animations.

Begaria

I got to delve in a little bit during my lunch hour. Initial impressions:

1. Love the artwork and animations. Super snappy, and very cool looking.

2. The voice acting is on POINT. Calibretto's robot voice is one of the best I've heard in awhile.

3. The turn based mechanics seem pretty good, will see how it grows as characters level up. Overcharge seems like a neat mechanic.

4. Love, LOVE the world map. We need more world maps.

5. Also, the instruction manual on PC is really old school, complete with a Note section :p

GavinUK86

Runs fine on an i7 2600k and a GTX 970. Settings on High. Running at 1080p. The only stutter I can see is when you pan around the world map. It stutters down to 50 at the lowest but only for a split second. It could just be a Unity issue.

Like Begaria said above, I love the addition of a manual section in the game. It helps to read through the 10 or so pages when you begin. The notes section at the end is a nice throwback.

Gameplay wise, it's fantastic so far. Everything seems to work as it should. No complaints after about an hour in.

Kadin

Was busy watching Corr's stream and the 10% Steam discount disappeared. LOL. Oh well, game still seems worth every penny at $29.99.

Tizoc

Where do backer's get their main game key from?
Do i need to log into theier main website to find it in my account?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Played 1 hour on PS4 Pro so far.

While it is a side-story, the intro has a text crawl primer that introduces you to the main cast by effectively giving a very abridged rundown on their stories from the book. No knowledge is necessary, but having added context as to why this band of heroes are journeying together and how they formed(unless the game further discusses) is worth the scant few hours to read 10 issues.

-Love the visuals and the music is pleasant. The motion comic interlude was great, hope to see more.
-Combat is solid and I applaud the game going out of its way to be very transparent about passive, buffs, debuffs, and active effects. I always hated how jRPG's so often just hid that stuff.
-Speaking of buffs/debuffs, some passive effects are named(like 'Sunder') but when an enemy is afflicted, the name shows the skill the passive effects stems from(like 'Gut Punch'), which is a confusing oversight. Since there are other skills that synergize with said afflictions(bonus damage against enemies with Sunder!), it would be preferable if the affliction was named 'Sunder' and not 'Gut Punch' when highlighting an enemy to check, especially as you start laying on multiple effects and need to reference which one to target for the bonus.

KiraXD

Well 10 hours in and is anyone surprised that i love it?
Because i fucking love it! The battle animations, the 2d animated effects look straight out of an anime (the effects are 3d i think, but they look straight up cartoon animated its so awesome!)

Even with a few hiccups, (crashed once after first dungeon, some stuttering on ps4) its amazing. Goty for me hands down.

Tizoc

Decided to redeem my key for a drm-free GOG copy :3
Sadly due to my backlog, I won't be able to start til a couple of weeks from now ToT

Wereroku

Amazon somehow fucked up and didn't even ship my copy. It's release day delivery, damn it! >:c

Same for me. I called them yesterday apparently they didn't get their stock until late yesterday. So they are doing the inventory and shipping it out today hopefully. I'm not getting it until Thursday.

Rhaknar

yeah... this is fantastic. At least early on, cant speak on it getting old near the end like some reviews mention.

Played 3 hours, finished the first dungeon on heroic, combat is so finely crafted once you understand the systems they created, I had no idea it would be this good.

Kadin

yeah... this is fantastic. At least early on, cant speak on it getting old near the end like some reviews mention.

Played 3 hours, finished the first dungeon on heroic, combat is so finely crafted once you understand the systems they created, I had no idea it would be this good.
Haven't read the reviews as I try to avoid any type of potential spoilers so I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to. The devs posted this below on the Steam discussion forum.

Pacing: Some users have mentioned that time to level in the back half of the game is a bit too grueling, so we're going to start flattening the curve a bit to help alleviate this

Rhaknar

Haven't read the reviews as I try to avoid any type of potential spoilers so I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to. The devs posted this below on the Steam discussion forum.

nah I meant reviews mentioning that combat gets old after 20-30 hours, which honestly I can totally see happening. It seems fantasticlaly crafted but at the end of the day its still jrpg combat, 3 v 3 combat system, and there is so much you can do with that.

Thats not even a knock on the game, its just reality.

Same for me. I called them yesterday apparently they didn't get their stock until late yesterday. So they are doing the inventory and shipping it out today hopefully. I'm not getting it until Thursday.

They tried to tell me I used the wrong shipping option, or that the release day delivery option wasn't available. I was like LISTEN, I've been a Prime member for a long ass time. I've bought MANY games here and I know this shit auto corrects if that happens. And he was just like "Hold please." and then apologized + changed my shipment to tomorrow rather than Thursday.

Kadin

nah I meant reviews mentioning that combat gets old after 20-30 hours, which honestly I can totally see happening. It seems fantasticlaly crafted but at the end of the day its still jrpg combat, 3 v 3 combat system, and there is so much you can do with that.

Thats not even a knock on the game, its just reality.
Ah okay. Yeah I was watching a stream earlier for a bit and it definitely seemed very simplistic and routine in design early on. A lot of people in chat were saying it picks up a good bit later on so I'm hoping that's the case. I see you're already 3 hours in so maybe, maybe not.

Definitely enjoying the overall game though. One of the first vendors in the main city had a ton of stuff that I'd like to get with a currency I have yet to see so this is telling me that I might get a fair amount of hours into the game.

Rhaknar

Ah okay. Yeah I was watching a stream earlier for a bit and it definitely seemed very simplistic and routine in design early on. A lot of people in chat were saying it picks up a good bit later on so I'm hoping that's the case. I see you're already 3 hours in so maybe, maybe not.

Definitely enjoying the overall game though. One of the first vendors in the main city had a ton of stuff that I'd like to get with a currency I have yet to see so this is telling me that I might get a fair amount of hours into the game.

well once you udnerstand how to properly use the overcharge system, and start mixing up buffs and debuffs, the combat system really opens up. You cant just spam heals with your healer for example which is nice.

Garrison is a dps monster and I cant see myself getting rid of Gully as a tank any time soon. I need my Red Waifu tho ;_;

Ive been getting a lot of upgrades so far from the dungeons (contrary to what reviews said? maybe later you stop getting things i dunno), I havent bought anything. I even got some epic gloves on Gully from using their neat special chest thing where you toss an item in a chest, and the chest re-appears in a random location in the dungeon with the item upgraded.

ive been using all my gold on blacksmith and alchemy recipes because you run into crafting stations in dungeons and I want to be able to make shit with all the components im getting.

Kadin

well once you udnerstand how to properly use the overcharge system, and start mixing up buffs and debuffs, the combat system really opens up. You cant just spam heals with your healer for example which is nice.

Garrison is a dps monster and I cant see myself getting rid of Gully as a tank any time soon. I need my Red Waifu tho ;_;

Ive been getting a lot of upgrades so far from the dungeons (contrary to what reviews said? maybe later you stop getting things i dunno), I havent bought anything. I even got some epic gloves on Gully from using their neat special chest thing where you toss an item in a chest, and the chest re-appears in a random location in the dungeon with the item upgraded.

ive been using all my gold on blacksmith and alchemy recipes because you run into crafting stations in dungeons and I want to be able to make shit with all the components im getting.
The more you describe what you're doing, the more I look forward to jumping back in. Only had a quick 45mins with the game and can't wait to discover more. It really is a quality title that I had no clue about before today.

Rhaknar

so dont get "scared" off by the mention of "just" 8 dungeons, those are the main big ones, but there are several other zones you walk around and do stuff / battle in outside the main world map (which acts more like a gamebord really). Early side quest spoiler:

Dude in the bar in the first town asks you to cler out the spider infestation in the sewers bellow which is a nice little small zone about 20min long with a few chests and shit.

Rhaknar

so
Artifacts
are just used to sell to the NPC in town for those
shadow coin currency
correct?

which you then use at the same vendor?

Replace d Garrison with Red Monika. Stealth is too op. She's doing 700+ per hit in greens.

abrack08

Amazon somehow fucked up and didn't even ship my copy. It's release day delivery, damn it! >:c

They tried to tell me I used the wrong shipping option, or that the release day delivery option wasn't available. I was like LISTEN, I've been a Prime member for a long ass time. I've bought MANY games here and I know this shit auto corrects if that happens. And he was just like "Hold please." and then apologized + changed my shipment to tomorrow rather than Thursday.

Wonder if all physical copies were delayed? I ordered from Best Buy, I got an email yesterday stating the release date had changed from 10/3/17 to 10/4/17, then today I got another saying it had changed to 10/5/17. I wasn't planning on starting this right away so I'm not all that upset but it's a little concerning.

Rhaknar

Replace d Garrison with Red Monika. Stealth is too op. She's doing 700+ per hit in greens.

dont have her yet. I know the new dude is half tank / half healer, Im picturing a scenario where I use him instead of Bretto and rely more on Gully's shields, but I dont have him yet so im not sure how he works.

I opened up the Hunts in town but the first is lvl 10 which...i am not. I am 8 :p

Got to the second dungeon but didnt try it, went back to town, I noticed I had a
well crank that I picked up and was hoping you could use it in the well in town, but you cant, you can just drink water there now after doing the sewers spiders sidequest.

Also ran into a
fire cave with a bunch of torches I could light with Flint, but I only hve 4 flint and I assume you need to light them all up for something to happen
. Really cool tht the game has side stuff like that.

Anyone knows what the
well crank
is for?

Top Bottom