• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Chasers Nightwar |OT| Party Like its 1998!

Lanrutcon

yeah actually just alt F4'ed on my second attempt at the slime, it was going even worse than the first one, just completely impossible right now (12 gully, 12 garrison, 11 bretto... congrats to those that did it at that level I suppose lol)

Took it at level 12, but I had a food buff, a drink buff and a shrine buff with some lucky gear.

Just tried out Bretto's level 3 break. Even in healing gear, he does thousands of points of damage.

george_us

yeah actually just alt F4'ed on my second attempt at the slime, it was going even worse than the first one, just completely impossible right now (12 gully, 12 garrison, 11 bretto... congrats to those that did it at that level I suppose lol)
That slime is rough. I did it with a 12 Gully, 11 Knolan, and 13 Monika. Monika's mass cleanse was a godsend.

Mudo

2 hours in and game is fun so far, but damn it needs a patch ASAP for the crashing. I’ve rarely ever had any PS4 game crash and have gotten 3 blue screen crashes in those 2 hours. How the hell that got through to release is unacceptable. Have they acknowledged the issue and given an update on a patch??

Burt

Also, unsure how people are playing without the golem and the kid. Combined they pretty much take any amount of punishment and keep ticking. That one boss I fought did around 3,500 damage to Gully through 70% damage mitigation.

Stealth and two tanky-ass healers, basically. Red Monika can perk out to start battle stealthed, have stealth grant her a 10% crit chance, have Ambush have a +35% crit chance, have a +20% crit chance with her first action, and a ton of +crit damage. So, you go into battle, press Ambush, and immediately take out the biggest guy - especially with that Caldeus weapon that gives you +1500 attack power and +10% crit on your first action. After that, it's just clean up. Occasionally getting AOE'd/debuffed out of stealth is annoying, but even then you're still probably going to kill with a crit or do heavy damage without. Either way, if her first turn isn't enough, her Burst 2 does a ton of damage and puts her back into stealth, and if that's still not enough, you just do another (not quite as good) stealth Ambush.

Like you said, Calibretto can take pretty much anything, and Alumon is much the same, except he also gets a damage reduction while casting, which you can increase via perks. He eventually gets a taunt on one of his skills too, and it converts half the damage received while taunting into damage for his attack. He has some great tools for healing while doing damage along with that. So, as long as those two survive the rare circumstance where an enemy can one-shot either of them before RM can attack (or you stumble into two huge enemies that can do that), you're good to go.

Garrison would be harder to work with before Alumon picks up the taunt, but I guess it'd be about the same thing once he does. Or, you could just make Garrison tankier than you would with Gully dedicated tanking.
No problem!

cevion

I thought it was impossible too - but you can do it! Make sure to taunt with Gully and then cast Heroism. Sunder once with Bretto so that you can stack Rupture from Garri. This will be your main source of damage. As long as the boss is taunted he's managable - he shouldn't do the AoE poison. Defend on Gully until Taunt is gone, recast Taunt and Heroism, then Defend again. Clean poison with Bursts from Bretto, cleaning flasks and/or Warrior's Resolve. Keep the "Holy Trinity" consisting of Tank/Heal/Dps rolling.

I ate a piece of blue food that gave me +42 health or something per tick before the battle (bought from the bar in the same location as you find your fourth companion) and obviously that also helped with mitigating the damage. You can stack this with Alcohol (+92 or something damage (also party wide, bought from same location as the blue food)

edit: Exentryk posted a great video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qWLlk2Ljj4&feature=youtu.be

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I thought it was impossible too - but you can do it! Make sure to taunt with Gully and then cast Heroism. Sunder once with Garri so that you can stack Rupture. This will be your main source of damage. As long as the boss is taunted he's managable - he shouldn't do the AoE poison. Defend on Gully until Taunt is gone, recast Taunt and Heroism, then Defend again. Clean poison with Bursts from Bretto, cleaning flasks and/or Warrior's Resolve.

I ate a piece of blue food that gave me +42 health or something per tick before the battle (bought from the bar in the same location as you find your fourth companion) and obviously that also helped with mitigating the damage.

You can do it! edit: Exentryk posted a great video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qWLlk2Ljj4&feature=youtu.be

You guys saying Knolan isn't worth leveling then? I brought him along for the third dungeon and got him up to 12 as the rest of my team, but I might ditch him. Sure he has some spells, mana restore and an aoe heal but meh... I miss the sunder and awesome perks from Bretto.

I will do it... when im higher / have better gear lol. I dont give 2 fucks about "doing it when its hard man!" Ill go back after Junktown probably.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I need to start using those food and flask buffs tbh, I still havent and I probbaly have a bunch now. Can you stack food and flask buffs?

Sygma

I'm at about 20 hours. Given the unexplored map, the arena, the open quest bits I have and that the game still unlocks abilites for 3 for more levels...I'd say 30 hours.

Thank you sir, sounds good ! gonna play it after I'm done with Mario Rabbids or Zero Dawn

cevion

I will do it... when im higher / have better gear lol. I dont give 2 fucks about "doing it when its hard man!" Ill go back after Junktown probably.

Well what I was trying to say with the right strategy it's not hard. Didn't mean to insinuate anything like that. You do you of course, I was just trying to give you a little motivation since that boss frustrated the hell out of me at first, and I got a little carried away in wanting to get you to feel dat rush I got when I whooped that slimey ass after getting whooped on moments earlier. :3

Never tried stacking food and flasks yet, but I can try it tomorrow when I play next. On that note, do field skills stack with each other or with food/drinks? I'll try that out tomorrow as well.

Thank you sir, sounds good ! gonna play it after I'm done with Mario Rabbids or Zero Dawn
One of us! One of us! :) Great game, 16 hours in here and only just started the third dungeon. (But I'm that annoying player who feels the need to do/loot everything. Sometimes more than once.)

I want this. But i dont know on which platform. I have them all. Anyone know any distinction between them?

Game seems to have crashing issues on PS4 Pro (will hopefully be patched soon). In-game-running and battle animations are a tad slow for me, so I prefer playing with Cheat Engine with game speed set to 1.5x-2x on PC. Loading times are super quick on a regular 7200RPM. (might be on console as well) Pick whatever you're most comfortable with. :> (Seems like a great pick up and play game, fitting the Switch well if you own one of those. Don't think we have a switch release date yet, though.) Haven't read any XB1 impressions yet.

Gothos

Man, I wish those inactive heroes levelled with the main party. Such a stupid decision that has no sense whatsoever...

Lanrutcon

Power level are going nuts now. Just picked up a level 25 sword and the damage is nutso. Made some level 21 armor, enchanted it, and now Gully has over 7000 hp.

melkier33

More of an Easter egg then a spoiler but just in case.

There's a lvl 25 sword from a side section that's a straight up Cloud buster sword.

KiraXD

I'm at about 20 hours. Given the unexplored map, the arena, the open quest bits I have and that the game still unlocks abilites for 3 for more levels...I'd say 30 hours.

whaaaaat?

I JUST finished the dig @lvl 15 and have exactly 40hours... Considering theres newgame+ and more secrets to find, id say for 100% and full experience is definitely 50+ hours... And seeing as no one on ps4 has platinum yet, id say platinum takes well over that.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Man, I wish those inactive heroes levelled with the main party. Such a stupid decision that has no sense whatsoever...

I was interested in this, but that plus a few other things are keeping me away. If they fix the party exp Id probably pick it up.

melkier33

whaaaaat?

I JUST finished the dig @lvl 15 and have exactly 40hours... Considering theres newgame+ and more secrets to find, id say for 100% and full experience is definitely 50+ hours... And seeing as no one on ps4 has platinum yet, id say platinum takes well over that.

On of the trophies is beating it on new game plus. I'm not even sure if the game difficulty changes in ng+ but I'm not surprised there's no plats yet.

Burt

I'll just throw this out there because some people seem to be getting close --

If you're looking for all the (end game side content)
Armaments of Legend/ultimate weapons
, Gully's
is something you shouldn't waste your time on.

It requires you to have released the Shade of Belveros from a tomb in the Iron Outpost (yes, the very first dungeon), and then you need to randomly encounter him in Deadwatch. I think the easiest way to tell that you released him is whether or not Shade of Belveros is in your bestiary. If it's not, you have to keep rerunning Iron Outpost until you get that room, and the BCNW forums have people saying they've run it 20+ times without getting it, let alone encountering him in Deadwatch.

I'm sure they'll patch it to something less tedious later, but it's really not worth it now. Besides, one ultimate weapon is pretty much enough to break the game anyway.

And if anyone knows how to get Knolan's
ultimate weapon
, lemme know!

KiraXD

Is it ok to use the book that give perks to all heroes even if you don't have all of them?

Yes.

Theres 4 types of books

1 skill point to any 1 person
1 skill point to "specific person"
1 skill to current party (the 3 you are using"
1 skill to all heroes

(Devs confirmed this over on the Airship Syndicate boards)

ScribbleD

Love the game, but I'm running into a couple of huge issues. The blurry dungeons I've seen reported some places, and also a crash on startup for the non dx9 version. Both on Steam. Any word of an impending fix? Haven't seen much documentation on either bug on the Steam forums.

Finaika

Love the game, but I'm running into a couple of huge issues. The blurry dungeons I've seen reported some places, and also a crash on startup for the non dx9 version. Both on Steam. Any word of an impending fix? Haven't seen much documentation on either bug on the Steam forums.

They're supposed to release a patch 2 days ago.

melkier33

If your playing on PS4 make sure you back up your save data every once in awhile till the crashing gets fixed. Just hit my first corrupt save today at like 50 hours in lucky I backed up my save a few hours before it happened. I was being stubborn backing up my save thinking I'd be fine, almost lost everything it was my only back up.

I kinda want this, everything I've heard sounds cool but the crashes are a bummer. I'll probably wait a couple weeks to see if that gets patched. Not like there isn't 10000 other things to play right now.

Rhaknar

I kinda want this, everything I've heard sounds cool but the crashes are a bummer. I'll probably wait a couple weeks to see if that gets patched. Not like there isn't 10000 other things to play right now.

To be clear it's the PS4 version that crashes.

miserable

If your playing on PS4 make sure you back up your save data every once in awhile till the crashing gets fixed. Just hit my first corrupt save today at like 50 hours in lucky I backed up my save a few hours before it happened. I was being stubborn backing up my save thinking I'd be fine, almost lost everything it was my only back up.

thanks for the warning, will backup saves ASAP.

Rhaknar

Barely played these last 2 days because of work + extra stuff at work, so I'm way behind compared to everyone it seems.

Excited to get back to it for realises now that I have 4 days off. Next up is Junktown which I hear is the first big spike?

Oh and btw I wanted to say this the other day but make sure you do the
fire elemental
optional boss asap because
one of the items you get lets you light torches instead of using flint so its basically infinite flint. When I went back and did dungeon 2 on legendary I actually got a item for lighting all the torches, And at least 2 of them revealed treasures near them, so I imagine it's super handy to have

Flaboere

Barely played these last 2 days because of work + extra stuff at work, so I'm way behind compared to everyone it seems.

Excited to get back to it for realises now that I have 4 days off. Next up is Junktown which I hear is the first big spike?

Oh and btw I wanted to say this the other day but make sure you do the
fire elemental
optional boss asap because
one of the items you get lets you light torches instead of using flint so its basically infinite flint. When I went back and did dungeon 2 on legendary I actually got a item for lighting all the torches, And at least 2 of them revealed treasures near them, so I imagine it's super handy to have

I did junktown, and didn't have to grind anything before. I've just been following the main story It was definitely a bit tougher, but only because one of the enemy types is boss-levels rough. Fine enought when you get it alone, but 1 place it was stacked with 2 other mobs. Simply impossible for me. I ended up luring the other 2 away, and fighting them alone, and then I was able to finish it. Took 3 tries for that fight, with last try I got him alone.

Rhaknar

Heroic Junkdown was pretty easy with Gully and Garrison at 13 and Bretto at 12. Not going straight into Legendary tho, game is saying its average, guess I'll save it for later if I need to grind a level or so.

Also, time for
Red Waifu boys (happy she joins at 13, which my higher guys also are)
. Also, time to try the Slime again too maybe.

Lanrutcon

Anyone know where you get high level fishing gear? (mid to high 20s).

Edit: also, Garrison's high level Perk synergies are stupid. He's a crit machine, and every time he crits a bunch of perks proc so that he does more damage, bleeds and crits more. Then he crits again, and again, and shit just keeps stacking. Berserk started off good, now with 100 perk points it's like 5 digits of guaranteed damage per application. I think only Red Monika can match that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone know where you get high level fishing gear? (mid to high 20s).

Edit: also, Garrison's high level Perk synergies are stupid. He's a crit machine, and every time he crits a bunch of perks proc so that he does more damage, bleeds and crits more. Then he crits again, and again, and shit just keeps stacking. Berserk started off good, now with 100 perk points it's like 5 digits of guaranteed damage per application. I think only Red Monika can match that.
Can you print screen your Garrison "spec"?

Lanrutcon

Can you print screen your Garrison "spec"?

Swordsman Overcharge I
Crit Damage Up I
Crit Damage Up II
Honed Blade
Wanderer Overcharge I (if you have the spare points, this puts you at 114 perk points)

Then just as much Swordsman as you can get all the way to Overpower. Gear for AP over everything else.

Pop Break 2 -> Berserk. In the time it takes Berserk to activate you can have your tank/healer Sunder the enemy (it stacks from multiple skills, btw. Gully and Bretto can for example, drop 60% Sunder before the Berserk activates). Berserk again after the Berserk. I haven't found anything up to the end of the Blood Garden place boss that survives the second Berserk.

Warblade II with 80 Overcharge also does silly damage if it crits, doesn't need the Break and comes out faster. I've critted for over 10k without proper Sunders in place.

Qvoth

cleared heroic path of fangs, dungeon map shows i still have 3 chests but i couldn't find them
wtzgU.gif

beat the level 10 fire lord elemental
gonna clear legendary path of fangs tomorrow

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just finished the first dungeon on heroic difficulty and am confused as the map had several white exclamation marks I scoured each room to solve and had no clue what they meant. There was also a well that I never found a crank to interact with.

Is this just the RNG messing with me and not providing the crank? What should I be on the lookout for with those ! marks? All the treasure and loot icons were found on the map. Just confused what I missed.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Swordsman Overcharge I
Crit Damage Up I
Crit Damage Up II
Honed Blade
Wanderer Overcharge I (if you have the spare points, this puts you at 114 perk points)

Then just as much Swordsman as you can get all the way to Overpower. Gear for AP over everything else.

Pop Break 2 -> Berserk. In the time it takes Berserk to activate you can have your tank/healer Sunder the enemy (it stacks from multiple skills, btw. Gully and Bretto can for example, drop 60% Sunder before the Berserk activates). Berserk again after the Berserk. I haven't found anything up to the end of the Blood Garden place boss that survives the second Berserk.

Warblade II with 80 Overcharge also does silly damage if it crits, doesn't need the Break and comes out faster. I've critted for over 10k without proper Sunders in place.
Thanks a lot man!

Exentryk

4th dungeon (
The Dig
) complete as well. Had an interesting enemy in there that
kept gaining ATK UPs for every damage hit it took
. Made me use up some mana... grrr.

I used Monika in the last dungeon and I love her Sting attack that causes debuffs, but her overall dps is not that great; at least not right now with around ~30ish perk points. Garrison has more synergy with Bretto for now. I saw the latest perk for Garrison, and it seems really good (2% crit every hit). So will likely take Garrison to the next dungeon.

Got another party member (
Alumon
) as well, and he seems quite interesting. He's trying to fill the role of Calibretto, while also offering other bonuses. He has potential, but for now I'll stick with Bretto mainly for his instant purify burst. Seems like the next dungeon might be annoying with some igniting mages, if the world map encounters are any indication.

Other than that I completed the level 16 hunt (
Grave Warden
), which is actually a level 17 enemy. Was just casually exploring and didn't realise this area was for the hunt, lol. Fight took longer than expected, but not difficult or anything. Haven't found the level 15 hunt though (it's supposed to be in a well somewhere?).

Top Bottom