• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle for Azeroth becomes fastest-selling World of Warcraft expansion (3.4 million)

JORMBO

Darkness no more
https://blizzard.gamespress.com/en-...S-FASTEST-SELLING-WORLD-OF-WARCRAFT-EXPANSION

IRVINE, Calif.—August 23, 2018—When the Battle for Azeroth™ erupted worldwide last week, champions of the Alliance and the Horde around the globe were called upon to fight for their faction. Heroes everywhere turned out in force, and Blizzard Entertainment today announced that as of Battle for Azeroth’s first full day of launch on August 14, more than 3.4 million units of the latest World of Warcraft® expansion had sold through worldwide—setting a new day-one sales record for the franchise and making it one of the fastest-selling PC games of all-time.*

In comparison:
WoW Legion – 3.3 million
Warlords of Draenor – 3.3 million
Mists of Pandaria – 2.7 million
Cataclysm – 3.3 million
Wrath of the Lich King – 2.8 million
Burning Crusade – 2.4 million
World of Warcraft – 240,000

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
is it any good?

I always buy them, level my character to the new cap and then quit until the next expansion. Leveling has been the typical experience. It's starting to feel a bit stale, but I like seeing all the new zones. Someone else more into it may have a more detailed opinion.

frogger

I always buy them, level my character to the new cap and then quit until the next expansion. Leveling has been the typical experience. It's starting to feel a bit stale, but I like seeing all the new zones. Someone else more into it may have a more detailed opinion.
LOL I do the exactly same thing, I buy the expansion, then play for about 1 month, then I get bored and quit. I still have not bought this one yet, maybe I will skip it.

Blam

I do like the expansion it's much more casual it seems then most and they're sorta expecting people to be new and 110 boost into it.

Corderlain

Banned
I've enjoyed it so far. It's in an interesting spot. Can't wait for the raid and other late game content to come out.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I am still impressed in the current evolution of MMOs that all adopted the F2P model, that this game still holds strong to the OG pricing setup.

Last edited:
I got "tricked" into buying it by the Warbringer: Jaina video. It's not a great expansion yet, but it'll overall depend on how they handle the storylines. I've played one of my horde characters to level 120 and the Zandalari storyline is good. Currently starting leveling my alliance character and I'm no having much faith in how they'll handle Jaina's storyline, especially since I know where it'll end
I'm glad we're not stuck with one weapon like in Legion though. The locking of Allied Races is ridiculous though. Luckily I had all of them already at Exalted or close to Exalted, but for a new player or someone jumping into the new expansion that didn't play Legion, it's just ... terrible. Should've just been a longer questline.

cr0w

Old Member
Every time a WoW expansion comes out I'm lured into buying it by my nostalgia for Vanilla, TBC and Lich King, and I'm inevitably disappointed and give it up after about 3 days. I've managed to fight the urge with this one, thankfully.

Every time a WoW expansion comes out I'm lured into buying it by my nostalgia for Vanilla, TBC and Lich King, and I'm inevitably disappointed and give it up after about 3 days. I've managed to fight the urge with this one, thankfully.

Have you watched the Warbringers: Jaina video? Made me to buy it, despite not feeling the pull of the expansion, because of how it implied a larger development and referencing WC3 and consequences of it.

cr0w

Old Member
Have you watched the Warbringers: Jaina video? Made me to buy it, despite not feeling the pull of the expansion, because of how it implied a larger development and referencing WC3 and consequences of it.

I have, yeah. I never got into the lore or anything because by the time I started playing it was already convoluted as hell, so I basically played for the loot and the grind. I couldn't really tell you anything about the story at this point, I'm just not a fan of the direction the game went as far as stats and items and such, plus I just don't have time for it anymore. I'm lucky to get an hour a night with Monster Hunter, because being an adult sucks ass.

I like it a lot so far. It’s not as good as Legion was at the beginning and I hate the GCD changes but it’s still very good. It’s also nice to to be free of demons and even Dalaran for a while.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I have been playing for 14 years with only a few breaks, one shortly after Cata (due to personal health issues), one shortly after MoP (due to starting college) and one shortly after WoD (due to my guild breaking up thanks to a severe lack of content). This is by far my favorite expansion since MoP and Wrath. Amazing leveling for both Horde and Alliance, interesting story that I can't wait to see continue in the following content patches, the best new addition to WoW in years with its War Mode and bringing back World PvP full force, and some of the best zone design I have seen in years.

I really wasn't a huge fan of many of Legion's changes/additions (RNG Legendaries, Artifact Weapons, focus on space, space ships, and demons, and its really weak level/zone design). This feels like a major upgrade for me in comparison.

Dargor

As a Horde player this is the second expac that I won't buy. Didn't buy Legion cuz it was obvious from the get go that there would be no Horde presence in it, the moment I saw the broken shore cinematic and it was all about Varian there was no more doubt.

Won't buy Battle for Azeroth cuz I am already fed up with the Horde goes evil story line. One Garrosh was enough, now they'll kill one of their most iconic characters (Sylvanas) just to have a Garrosh 2.0.

Iaterain

is it any good?
I've played the beta. It was like a grind, grind, grind, grind heroic, grind mythical, grind mythical+, grind, grind, grind, pay, pay, pay, grind, pay, grind, pay, pay, grind...and the formula never ends, so I decided that I just don't want to waste my life on it.

mcz117chief

I have a feeling I will die of old age before WoW. Is there any other single game that comes close to being such an unstoppable force like World of Warcraft? It feels like Pokémon, these two things seem eternal. I remember in primary school (in the 90s) that my friend asked me "do you think pokémon will ever stop being popular." and I told him "sure, in a couple of years everybody will forget about it, just like Tamagotchi"... lol, I was so very wrong :D

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I have been playing for 14 years with only a few breaks, one shortly after Cata (due to personal health issues), one shortly after MoP (due to starting college) and one shortly after WoD (due to my guild breaking up thanks to a severe lack of content). This is by far my favorite expansion since MoP and Wrath. Amazing leveling for both Horde and Alliance, interesting story that I can't wait to see continue in the following content patches, the best new addition to WoW in years with its War Mode and bringing back World PvP full force, and some of the best zone design I have seen in years.

I really wasn't a huge fan of many of Legion's changes/additions (RNG Legendaries, Artifact Weapons, focus on space, space ships, and demons, and its really weak level/zone design). This feels like a major upgrade for me in comparison.

I haven’t really seen any people pvping in the world while leveling. I’m only 115 or 116 now. Are people world pvping at the level cap?

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Glad it's sold so well!

Into it right now, gearing up for mythic and such, enjoying the quests a lot more and the music/visuals still manage to surprise me.

I like the voice acting and more cinematic sequences, leveled with warmode on for XP boost, off for grinding for now at 120. A lot of friends and guildies like the World PVP so they go with it on.

Glad to see some new weapon models since as much as I liked the artifacts in Legion, I missed the feeling of getting that weapon to drop or craft.

Not sure about the current crafting system yet.

I'm liking the dungeons so far, have only done them on normal.

Playing alliance right now and will try horde side on my pally after a bit.

So far so good!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I haven’t really seen any people pvping in the world while leveling. I’m only 115 or 116 now. Are people world pvping at the level cap?

Very much so. I continuously run across high level players on both Horde/Alliance, with gank squads going around (mostly dependent on the Call to Arms quest for that week or as a response to the other faction's gank squad). It feels very much like Vanilla in terms of its liveliness to me.

Shai-Tan

Banned
My brother who is a bit of a WoW addict told me he's enjoying this one compared to the last. Particularly how they wrapped pve and pvp servers together and the ability to actually level alts now that you don't have an artifact on your main to level up. I'm vague on what that means since I stopped playing WoW right when flying mounts were introduced in The Burning Crusade.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
My brother who is a bit of a WoW addict told me he's enjoying this one compared to the last. Particularly how they wrapped pve and pvp servers together and the ability to actually level alts now that you don't have an artifact on your main to level up. I'm vague on what that means since I stopped playing WoW right when flying mounts were introduced in The Burning Crusade.

Basically you were given an "artifact weapon" at the start of legion. To do raids, dungeons, and PvP effectively, you needed to level these weapons up by obtaining a resource called Artifact Power. This required a lot of time investment which made it viable to really only have one strong spec, greatly diminishing the strength of your offspecs or any alts (as while there were catch-up mechanics, they never really allowed you to come close to your main weapon). Plus more time spent on other weapons made your main one much weaker as you didn't spend more time on it over the others.

This was fixed a bit later on in the expansion, but for a long while it made playing offspecs/alts less fun or nearly impossible, especially if you were mythic raiding (highest level of raid available currently).

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Very much so. I continuously run across high level players on both Horde/Alliance, with gank squads going around (mostly dependent on the Call to Arms quest for that week or as a response to the other faction's gank squad). It feels very much like Vanilla in terms of its liveliness to me.

Cool. I’ll have to keep plugging away to 120. I loved world pvp back in vanilla.

Kreydo

It's a bit sad, but people are alieanated now... Blizzard marketing is also so powerful, they can sell anything.

Pejo

Surprising to hear, to be honest. i would have assumed the dwindling playerbase would have made this impossible in 2018. I'll admit though, as a guy that played for a few years in the BC/WotLK era, I had some interest in looking up the expansion. My biggest gripe with the game the last time I tried a comeback was the over-simplified talents/reduced number of skills, along with my own laziness in getting my add-ons re-downloaded and configured.

Are the talents and skills still linear like they were in the Panda expansion?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Surprising to hear, to be honest. i would have assumed the dwindling playerbase would have made this impossible in 2018. I'll admit though, as a guy that played for a few years in the BC/WotLK era, I had some interest in looking up the expansion. My biggest gripe with the game the last time I tried a comeback was the over-simplified talents/reduced number of skills, along with my own laziness in getting my add-ons re-downloaded and configured.

Are the talents and skills still linear like they were in the Panda expansion?

Honestly, even with its "dwindling population", which is only natural for a game that has been out for 14 years - it is still the single largest subscription based MMORPG (and I wouldn't be surprised if it rivals the most popular F2P MMOs currently available).

As for talents, they aren't so much as linear as what you choose for specific purposes/fights. Some fights require more AoE focused DPS/Healing, so you would grab talents that are best for that. Sometimes you need to focus on survivability or single target. However, with as many specs/classes as there are, there are occasionally the talent choices that are weak no matter which way you look at it. I prefer this system to the older ones by far, personally.

I would like to get back into it, but the economy is so jacked in most WoW servers that it always turns me away anytime I go back.

If they offered new servers without any of the token bs and prevented character xfers to it I would be interested.

iHaunter

Just canceled after a month.

What a train-wreck. There's literally almost no content or most of what Blizzard said there would be. We just got Destiny'd lol.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Just canceled after a month.

What a train-wreck. There's literally almost no content or most of what Blizzard said there would be. We just got Destiny'd lol.

Almost no content? 10 dungeons built from the ground up for Mythic+, Uldir, PvP Season with new arenas, Warfronts, Island Expeditions, two almost entirely unique questlines (Horde/Alliance), and World Quests. This is more content than was in Legion at launch. Calling it Destiny, or referring to it as such, is incredibly disingenuous.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
A Turtle Made it to the Water.

After grinding all that rep and getting a Mag'har Orc to 120 with Heritage Armor its time for me to cancel until next time to level.

Top Bottom