• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle.net is now just "Blizzard"

Status
Not open for further replies.

keraj37

You can read more here: Battle.net is now just "Blizzard"

Blizzard announced some time ago that they will start parting with Battle.net brand after 20 years of its existence, and starting from this night (In Europe is 1am) it is official.

My bnet client restarted itself and now it is called simply "Blizzard App" and Bnet logo is removed, and there is now just Blizzard logo there.

Looks like Blizzard starts to introduce announced change of battle.net name.

K2dqJru.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I spent weeks convincing my friends that Battle.net 2.0 was the future.

Of course, like most things, Blizzard had the opportunity to create something special - and they completely fucking botched it.

No surprise here.

Marker007

Man. I still have my Battle.net boxed copy of Warcraft II. This is truly a brand change that hits me in the feels.

This is the type of rebranding that won't actually change anything. I'll still call it Battle.net because that's a fucking sick name for a platform. 2+ decades of referring to Blizzard multiplayer as "battle net" isn't going just suddenly change.

Twookie

the new icon for the launcher is blurry garbage

I don't really like the new name honestly. battle.net was so easy and fast to say instead of saying "blizzard app/launcher"

I just spent extra time looking for the launcher in my Toolbar looking for the old icon. I like the old icon better than Bliz...

Of course, like most things, Blizzard had the opportunity to create something special - and they completely fucking botched it.

No surprise here.

I mean, I was a big fan of Battle.net in the early days too, but what exactly did they "botch"? It's just a name change. The app and online service behaves exactly as it always has.

Nugg

We knew this would happend for a while now, but I still don't get it. Battle.net feels as old as the Internet, is an iconic name and cool as hell. I don't get why they would dump the brand like that.

EDIT: Wait what the fuck, is that Danny Pudi in that Hearthstone promo??

Tonyx

Hum.. I guess in a way they want to avoid confusion using just one brand instead of two.. yet Battle.net is such an iconic name and strong brand..

Breads

Banned
Is that Danny Pudi?

Also end of a god damned era.

I started the internet on Battlenet. Diablo and Starcraft are how I learned how to type. That was 20 years ago. Fuck.

I don't really understand the logic behind naming your platform in accordance to your business name. Even Valve has the Steam/Steamworks platform that is integrated into their games and others that wish to use it, just like Battle.net was the platform for Blizzard games. Now it's just called... Blizzard? Blizzard platform? I guess they just want to abstract that entirely away from customers.

mclem

This is the type of rebranding that won't actually change anything. I'll still call it Battle.net because that's a fucking sick name for a platform. 2+ decades of referring to Blizzard multiplayer as "battle net" isn't going just suddenly change.

If nothing else, having the distinction available in-game when you say "I've just seen <player> come onto Battle.net" won't be going away any time soon.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I mean, I was a big fan of Battle.net in the early days too, but what exactly did they "botch"? It's just a name change. The app and online service behaves exactly as it always has.
No, I meant they botched Battle.net by making us think that it had potential to be something huge. It never became shit. It's nothing but a hub for playing Blizzard games.

And it was promised to be much more than that, having conferences and whatnot just to state how amazing Battle.net 2.0 is going to be in the (near tm) future.

NimbusD

Well, that's boring. It's like calling Diablo "bad monster game"

Also the blizzard logo is horrible and unreadable as an icon. At least just make it a b.

Arkeband

Banned
I don't really understand the logic behind naming your platform in accordance to your business name. Even Valve has the Steam/Steamworks platform that is integrated into their games and others that wish to use it, just like Battle.net was the platform for Blizzard games. Now it's just called... Blizzard? Blizzard platform? I guess they just want to abstract that entirely away from customers.

Blizzard has an ego, which is why they ended up losing DotA to Valve, probably one of the craziest and most baffling whiffs in gaming history.

It's probably better that they change it from battle.net, as battle.net had style and personality, 'Blizzard App' is just a perfunctory chat platform with a friends list. We all used to tell our friends to 'get on battlenet' to play X game. You don't ask your friends to get on 'Blizzard App', it's just there, doing its bare minimum, you instead tell your friends to play X game directly.

We're only a few management fart sniffs away from "It's Blizzard's world, we just live in it!"

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Well I don't think I've used the name Battle.net since Diablo 2 so I got no problems with this.

Apathy

End of an era for sure, but just like the SkyDome, I'll refuse to use any other name aside from battlenet to refer to it.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

No surprise here.
Maybe your problem isn't the branding but the fact you spent weeks going on about a download client?

Jesus wept.

Anyway, end of an era! Still the Blizzard App sounds ok to me, the functionality is the important bit.

Arttemis

I have been disappointed with everything this company has done since WoW's first expansion, including the battle.net 2.0 platform that went nowhere.

Yoshichan

Maybe your problem isn't the branding but the fact you spent weeks going on about a download client?

Jesus wept.

Anyway, end of an era! Still the Blizzard App sounds ok to me, the functionality is the important bit.
Good job getting my point. A download client in which was promised to be much more than just that. My mistake was swallowing it whole, but can you judge me? It was Blizzard during its prime.

Sai-kun

Banned
Man, battle.net was like the coolest sounding shit back in the late 90's. :( what a shame to change it. I'll pour one out for u, bnet

Keasar

Battle.net was a way better name, felt better and had a lot more history.

Saying "Oh, I am playing on Blizzard" just sounds odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom