• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

Oh yeah, I heard about a lot of battles not happening. Anyone could've predicted Ill wasn't showing up though. Will check out Diz-Serious.

Heard Born-QP went down recently on Black Ice. Hope that is good, crazy potential.

mileS

Yeah I haven't finished watching all the battles yet but it was a mediocre event for sure. Gjonaj vs Chilla should have been a classic and it wasn't even close. Diz vs Serius was entertaining, possibly not for all the right reasons but still worth watching regardless.

Diz actually did decently well apart from the remarkably corny way he ended his 3rd.

Diz poking him in the chest right hard, over and over and taking the battle way too serious (no pun intended) was not cool or a good look. Bringing that random dude up in his 3rd was insanely stupid.... Just plain fucking stupid. If I was KOTD I wouldn't book him anytime soon.

Diz poking him in the chest right hard, over and over and taking the battle way too serious (no pun intended) was not cool or a good look. Bringing that random dude up in his 3rd was insanely stupid.... Just plain fucking stupid. If I was KOTD I wouldn't book him anytime soon.

I agree with you shit could have gotten froggy very easily but lucky enough Serious was cool and handled it well.

Diz comes off as insecure he was forgetting his material and started blaming Jones for "throwing him off" even though Jones didn't do anything. Diz was actually free-styling competently too so he could have just finished the round out but he always lets his emotions get the better of him.

Also: new Daylyt track and it's pretty tight. Good to see him stepping up the production quality.

I liked that Daylyt track. Also yeah, URL definitely trying to snap up Geechi. Been watching Yung Ill battles. Against Rex and DNA were some great performances.

Shuffle T and Marlo continue to be a funny bunch, never seen the other two dudes before.

Sidenote: Where JC-Trez at Smack?!

MATTER & P SOLJA VS SHUFFLE-T & MARLO. Don't Flop

Shuffle-T & Marlo put on a godlike performance here.

One of their very best performances aside from a few stumbles. The punchline machine bit in the 3rd was crazy and slightly slept on. Really good to have Shuffle & Marlo back it's been too long.

Matter & P Solja did decently well. Their chemistry and performance just doesn't compare, though. Also their brand of humor does not mesh well with the street & gun bars. Rappers like Clips, Daylyt or even Pat Stay can blend tough guy bars & humor seamlessly. Every time Matter & P switched it killed their momentum. The transition from gun bars to dry wit & sarcasm didn't wash with me.

Also that album cover sequence was bad. KOTD should be setting up Marlo & Shuffle T vs TheSaurus and Illmac. Would be a great 2 v 2 on the big stage. Them vs Guntitles would be interesting too if Surf wasn't locked up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
KOTD: Rone vs. Head I.C.E. title match.

One of their very best performances aside from a few stumbles. The punchline machine bit in the 3rd was crazy and slightly slept on. Really good to have Shuffle & Marlo back it's been too long.

Matter & P Solja did decently well. Their chemistry and performance just doesn't compare, though. Also their brand of humor does not mesh well with the street & gun bars. Rappers like Clips, Daylyt or even Pat Stay can blend tough guy bars & humor seamlessly. Every time Matter & P switched it killed their momentum. The transition from gun bars to dry wit & sarcasm didn't wash with me.

Also that album cover sequence was bad. KOTD should be setting up Marlo & Shuffle T vs TheSaurus and Illmac. Would be a great 2 v 2 on the big stage. Them vs Guntitles would be interesting too if Surf wasn't locked up.
Agree with all of this. Dunno if I'd call it one of their best but it was a good performance.

I think TheSaurus/Illmac, Marlo/Shuffle-T, and Gun Titles are all the best outright in their own styles (and leagues I suppose), and I'd love to see matches between each of them, but I think Marlo/Shuffle-T vs. Gun Titles would be pretty goofy. Those match ups rarely end up good because the street rappers never take it seriously.

EDIT: Damn, I'm late but, how the fuck did Head I.C.E. beat Rone? This is not just one of the clearest title shots, but one of the clearest victories in quite a while. Dude was on a whole other level, rapping circles around ICE in the 1st and was ripping him apart with the personals in the 2nd and 3rd. Even the crowd was like WTF?!

I agree. I think Rone got robbed and the line everyone is hyping from Head ICE would have been a tired concept in 2011. "How can you rock with someone who said this!?!" I'm not gonna front like it had no impact but it doesn't compare to Rone's material.

It was one line in a largely scattershot round. As Head ICE rounds tend to be. It really feels like people don't wanna admit ICE lost because he's an OG. They don't wanna tell the dude who's been at this for 20+ years he's not as good as someone half his age.

I've always felt like ICE got a pass on some shakey material for that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I agree. I think Rone got robbed and the line everyone is hyping from Head ICE would have been a tired concept in 2011. "How can you rock with someone who said this!?!" I'm not gonna front like it had no impact but it doesn't compare to Rone's material.

It was one line in a largely scattershot round. As Head ICE rounds tend to be. It really feels like people don't wanna admit ICE lost because he's an OG. They don't wanna tell the dude who's been at this for 20+ years he's not as good as someone half his age.

I've always felt like ICE got a pass on some shakey material for that.
I agree, ICE is mostly presence and his legitimately good performances and lines are few and far inbetween. Rambles a lot about sorta street sounding stuff, and that respect carries a lot of his material. Unfortunately that's basically crack to the KOTD audience, and the majority of the judges were NY rappers too.. soo..

EDIT: Y'all got your wishes lol Mr. Wavy vs. Bill Collector trailer.

I agree, ICE is mostly presence and his legitimately good performances and lines are few and far inbetween. Rambles a lot about sorta street sounding stuff, and that respect carries a lot of his material. Unfortunately that's basically crack to the KOTD audience, and the majority of the judges were NY rappers too.. soo..

EDIT: Y'all got your wishes lol Mr. Wavy vs. Bill Collector trailer.

^ What the hell is this? Moneybagz-Prez still hasn't dropped!

Yeah Jayblacc had a good blog about how Rone should have never agreed to those judges. When I saw the lineup on the PPV I thought Rone was dumb for that but then again you'd have to let these people know you think they're biased and that could upset some fragile rapper egos.

Since ICE is the champ now Im wondering who are some valid contenders for the chain?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah Jayblacc had a good blog about how Rone should have never agreed to those judges. When I saw the lineup on the PPV I thought Rone was dumb for that but then again you'd have to let these people know you think they're biased and that could upset some fragile rapper egos.

Since ICE is the champ now Im wondering who are some valid contenders for the chain?
Should be Danny Myers, especially because Bigg K can't make it into Canada.

Danny Myers fed us with hot battles for far too long to not get a title shot when somehow people like Head ICE do.

EDIT: URL: Mr. Wavy vs. Bill Collector. Man Wavy goes from a fire punchline to going on and on about nothing. Got Bill clearly in the 1st, edging the 2nd, and probably edging the 3rd, but I think it can be called the other way too. Bill was just more entertaining and bombing a bit less.

mileS

Lush One is fuckin awesome on Avo's Watch series. He is streaming more tonight with him as a guest.

As far as that title match? I find it hard hard to care either way. Rone's angle for his 3rd was stupid. Ice was good overall but I don't think he had Rone for those first 2 rounds. Eh. Rone and Ice as champ leads to some boring ass possible match ups coming up either way. Should make it less about the chain and more about a higher cash prize or some sort of deal. Get people hungry for it again. That or continue to treat it the way it is and I'll continue not to care very much.

I think Thesaurus should be next up for the chain. Dude has been very consistent, putting out great battles like Daylyt, Fresco, Aye Verb, and QP. Three of those he arguably won.

Saint Mic VS. Showoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2599&v=7ngdGU44w7Y

WGH crowd is a little annoying, but Showoff stepped his writing up and Mic was fire, though a pretty inconsistent performance which hurt the battle overall. But there are some nice bars present. Shame about Mic's battle with Tone Montana, I think that shit has been vaulted.

Also, Twork basically killed Mic in the first lmao.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think Thesaurus should be next up for the chain. Dude has been very consistent, putting out great battles like Daylyt, Fresco, Aye Verb, and QP. Three of those he arguably won.

Saint Mic VS. Showoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2599&v=7ngdGU44w7Y

WGH crowd is a little annoying, but Showoff stepped his writing up and Mic was fire, though a pretty inconsistent performance which hurt the battle overall. But there are some nice bars present. Shame about Mic's battle with Tone Montana, I think that shit has been vaulted.

Also, Twork basically killed Mic in the first lmao.
This is fire. Agree, inconsistent in places, but still fire. This gives me that old PG feel with those reactions and everyone huddled around that I miss so much. Think I got Saint Mic 2-1 but it's debatable.

Thesaurus is also a good choice for the title shot. Could've swore he had a shot already but I guess not.

Lush One is fuckin awesome on Avo's Watch series. He is streaming more tonight with him as a guest.

As far as that title match? I find it hard hard to care either way. Rone's angle for his 3rd was stupid. Ice was good overall but I don't think he had Rone for those first 2 rounds. Eh. Rone and Ice as champ leads to some boring ass possible match ups coming up either way. Should make it less about the chain and more about a higher cash prize or some sort of deal. Get people hungry for it again. That or continue to treat it the way it is and I'll continue not to care very much.
Yeah, gonna check out the one with Organik VS. Diz.

Dizaster VS. Serius Jones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auE_NxLUnbA

Well, this was worth the watch. Diz kinda bodied himself.

Wavy-Bill Collector was an...interesting watch actually. Bill Collector 2-1. Wavy is just not that good, I can see that he tried and put a lot in his performance and had some really dope lines, but he is just corny. He got bodied by John John.

Loved Diz' rapping at the end of the first. The discussion/disgusting shit. He was really in his bag there. It's just too bad that he's literally the most embarrassing person in battle rap right now. Dizaster clearly didn't have his rounds memorized well enough and decided to scapegoat Serius' mild interruption. Threw another adult temper tantrum on cam.

Diz should sit out a couple months at least imo. His unlikability is starting to boil over.

mileS

Loved Diz' rapping at the end of the first. The discussion/disgusting shit. He was really in his bag there. It's just too bad that he's literally the most embarrassing person in battle rap right now. Dizaster clearly didn't have his rounds memorized well enough and decided to scapegoat Serius' mild interruption. Threw another adult temper tantrum on cam.

Diz should sit out a couple months at least imo. His unlikability is starting to boil over.

Completely agree with all of this. Re-watching this I was impressed with Diz, but only at certain moments. He shows a crazy amount of potential and skill but only in short bursts. You would think by now he could handle the pressure of big events and any type of crowd interruption or distraction from his opponent. But he can't. You can tell he lives off the adrenaline, but its a double edged sword because its also what throws him off in the end, why he can never just get his 3 written rounds off.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Diz had moments in his 3rd that were good too, but we gonna act like Diz hasn't come unprepared to half of his battles for like the last 3-4 years?

The material was there, everything else wasn't IMO. Diz indeed bodied himself.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I got JC 2-1 on first watch. Maybe even 3-0, no disrespect to Trez. JC's pen is stupid. T-Top punching the shit out of Trez in the 3rd lol, for good reason.

Yo man, these Ave stealing bars comments are too much, man, I laugh every time and I don't know why.
One of my Niggas Bring 2 Niggas Then 2 Of My Niggas Bring 3.. 3 Of my niggas Bring 4 Niggas then 4 of my niggas come and Alert me - Ave

Reunite him with his family on some chris benoit shit....that was nasty!

JC 2-1 or 3-0.

Also, JC just lost to Bigg K 2-1, arguably 3-0 on RBE. Was also fire. Bigg K is hilarious.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

In the Double Impact 2 announcement video, at the very end. Although he's on a different card. Hitman back on URL, even if for a 2v2 is huge IMO. It's probably Gun Titles vs. Hitman/Verb.

2017 is the year of the returns to URL. Rich Dolarz, JC, Qleen, Rich Dolarz, Chef Trez, O-Red, the list goes on. Maybe we'll finally get Bigg K too?

Rich Dolarz has been pretty bad in his other attempts to come back, so I can't say I'm excited, but we'll see. Yung Ill vs. Rich Dolarz forever a classic.

EDIT: Tone Montana is back too. Even though he bodied himself last tine, I'm still excited. Best gun schemes of all time IMO.

EDIT2: URL: T-Rex vs. K-Shine.

EDIT3: Oh shit Midwest Miles and X-Factor teaming up for Double Impact 2. I don't have high expectations given their recent track records, but they have potential.

EDIT4: Real Deal is back too.

In the Double Impact 2 announcement video, at the very end. Although he's on a different card. Hitman back on URL, even if for a 2v2 is huge IMO. It's probably Gun Titles vs. Hitman/Verb.

2017 is the year of the returns to URL. Rich Dolarz, JC, Qleen, Rich Dolarz, Chef Trez, O-Red, the list goes on. Maybe we'll finally get Bigg K too?

Rich Dolarz has been pretty bad in his other attempts to come back, so I can't say I'm excited, but we'll see. Yung Ill vs. Rich Dolarz forever a classic.

EDIT: Tone Montana is back too. Even though he bodied himself last tine, I'm still excited. Best gun schemes of all time IMO.

EDIT2: URL: T-Rex vs. K-Shine.

EDIT3: Oh shit Midwest Miles and X-Factor teaming up for Double Impact 2. I don't have high expectations given their recent track records, but they have potential.

Time to watch Rex get bodied in high quality! K-Shine just had everything, Rex brought nothing really.

Glad they gave Tone another chance, hope he doesn't blow it. They should bring Saint Mic back too, his pen is crazy and I think he has earned it.

Miles and X Factor....if they actually make it...cool I guess...I don't really know what to expect from either of them at this stage.

Ness Lee VS. Pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU3QhLs85xc

Pretty dope for a last minute battle, they both kinda snapped. Ness had way more though, kinda boxed Pass if i'm being honest.

Real Deal might kill Reepah Rell. I also heard Money Bags-Young Kannon and Saint Mic-Noodle20, fire honestly.

Battle is CRACK! "Im in a rolls royce whippin a ghost, its castlevania" "half the body hanging out like one of Suge's shirts" Already watched a bootleg twice, will watch again. Real shit though, no more Friday bars.

Craig Lamar VS. Prez Mafia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEjdefZ4h4c

This apparently went down. Hope its good.

Goodz Vs. Billy Boondocks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7jRHO5QM38

When they called time...hilarious! Goodz is the best at making his opponents look like trash. BB is kinda trash already though.

Loved JC's rounds got monsters in em shit in the 3rd. Bigg K won the battle, though. He just did way too much. I feel if JC had a little more rhythm to his flow he might have kept up better. K's shit was just too buttery, JC felt stilted by comparison imo. (only by comparison)

JC needed some of that "we clap hammers here -- batman premiere -- that clip extended got at least 13 dropping" shit. Great battle from both nitpicks aside, though. K gets an impressive win on his resume and JC did well enough not to lose any of the momentum he gained with Trez.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Man, Bigg K vs. JC might be battle of the year thus far, IMO it's a hard battle to judge, only Bigg K clear in the 2nd so I'm inclined to say Bigg K 2-1 but JC 's 1st and 3rd had some of my favourite bars. Don't think it was that clear of a win for K, debatable IMO. I think JC took a risk in the 2nd going for a different pace instead of punchlines that I respect, but he could have gone a bit harder. So many quotables from both GODDAMN.

I wouldn't tell on Death Row if I was Michel'le

Lead pouring like Flint water

I love Friday bars even though they're all mostly something something Craig's pops :(

Goodz obliterated Billy Boondocks. Billy Boondocks doesn't even deserve to stand in front of Goodz even with the biggest cheque on the table. Goodz really is a legend, anyone without 99% of his charisma is setting themselves up to take an eternal L.

Rex also destroyed Ish Mula, and he actually did his thing in this battle.

I changed my previous opinion on Joe. He's growing on me. Delivery still needs work though.

Also, lol at Wavy challenging Twork. 1. Nobody wants to see this. 2. You would DIE homie.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I changed my previous opinion on Joe. He's growing on me. Delivery still needs work though.

Also, lol at Wavy challenging Twork. 1. Nobody wants to see this. 2. You would DIE homie.
Lol I lowkey agree with you. He's just another puncher, but I'm down with the confidence and the bars. Literally sounds like a concentrated Bigg K round.

DOUBLE IMPACT 2 TRAILER

Don't really like 2 on 2 battles but there are a couple battles I'm looking forward to. Especially Jersey vs Clips and Goodz.
The lineup for Double Impact 2 is STACKED. The star power is insane.

I'm not big on 2 on 2s either (unless its Marlo/Shuffle-T), but Double Impact 1 had some crazy memorable moments and bars so I have high hopes.

HAD TO SPLIT SCREEN LIKE IT'S GOLDEN EYE

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pat Stay hasn't been competitive in years. One of the easier 3-0s Bigg K will get. If you listen to the trailer closely, you can hear Pat Stay's 3rd talking about he does it for the people already.

Daylyt vs. Cortez was good. Forget how I scored it, but it was good to see Day rapping again. I felt like Tez edged it.

Holy fuck there were like 12 minutes of trailers for Double Impact 2 before Suge vs. Ave lol Re-watching it I'd still give it to Suge 2-1, maybe a bit closer than I remember it being. Ave got the 2nd. I might give Ave the 3rd too, but it's debatable.

mileS

Pat Stay hasn't been competitive in years. One of the easier 3-0s Bigg K will get. If you listen to the trailer closely, you can hear Pat Stay's 3rd talking about he does it for the people already.

I feel like my bias is too strong to speak on this but hell nah. Pat is really good at roasting people, for the most part K has only faced people that have tried to out bar him. This battle was waiting to happen. It randomly came up a few days ago on the Watch series from RYD. Pretty excited for this one! Even with all my bias I enjoy people that come at Pat with different angles. Lately Bigg K has been mixing a lot more comedy in and I look forward to him roasting Pat a bit. Hopefully talking shit about my home province as well lmao.

Speaking of KOTD and Watch from RYD. Did they really come @ Avo asking him not to play battles from the KOTD channel?That is some straight up cold shit. Moves like that seem really fucking stupid but I don't know the full story here.

There was a time where I thought Pat Stay was unbeatable. But Enzo's comment about Pat's altruism 3rd round is so real I could cry.

I don't know which phase was worse:
"The chain weighs heavy on my shoulders" or
"I do this for yall!!!"

Just rap Pat... please just rap.

I feel like my bias is too strong to speak on this but hell nah. Pat is really good at roasting people, for the most part K has only faced people that have tried to out bar him. This battle was waiting to happen. It randomly came up a few days ago on the Watch series from RYD. Pretty excited for this one! Even with all my bias I enjoy people that come at Pat with different angles. Lately Bigg K has been mixing a lot more comedy in and I look forward to him roasting Pat a bit. Hopefully talking shit about my home province as well lmao.

Speaking of KOTD and Watch from RYD. Did they really come @ Avo asking him not to play battles from the KOTD channel?That is some straight up cold shit. Moves like that seem really fucking stupid but I don't know the full story here.

If true, that sucks. His series really grew on me and i've been watching a bunch to pass the time, it is great.

Also, I got Bigg K taking that battle. I do see this being the best Pat in a while though, I just hope he takes the right approach to battling K.

Top Bottom