• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1: No playable female soldiers in multiplayer. Campaign only.

From a new interview with Eurogamer:

You've been great about diversity. There will be female soldiers.

- We revealed the female soldier you'll get to play as part of the campaign. For us, we wanted to stick to authenticity but also do it in a respectful way and an inclusive way, where we portray the different armies - not always as it was, but to portray the multitude of soldiers that fought within the different armies, showing this war in a modern way as part of what DICE believes and what Battlefield believes.

Can you choose a female soldier in multiplayer?

- No, not in multiplayer. Just in single-player.
Weird distinction to make, given their answer to the diversity/authenticity question. Also slightly disappointing after the character roster for shooters like Battlefront and Black Ops 3.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-13-battlefield-1-preview

The Flash

Banned
Well women didn't really fight in the front lines so it makes sense from a historical standpoint though I'm sure there are some notable exceptions

mcrommert

Banned
Its almost like they are trying to be historically accurate

I'm sure someone will find a reason to be offended even though women didn't fight on the front lines in WW1. And yes I know this is an alternate reality version of WW1 but still.

Its not though

Brinbe

So now they want to be all historical and shit
KuGsj.gif

Fuck off, Dice. They can't pick and choose what's historically accurate.

BuriedStPatrick

Neo Member
I mean... why?
If you're going to include it in the campaign, with the multi-million dollar budget surely you can afford that. I agree with OP, weird distinction to make.

Nairume

Banned
I'm sure someone will find a reason to be offended even though women didn't fight on the front lines in WW1. And yes I know this is an alternate reality version of WW1 but still.
I mean

Yeah, if they are doing the alternate thing and are already having women being playable in the campaign mode, there's really no good excuse here.

This is the easiest answer, but consider that "realism" is not at the top of DICE's priority list when it comes to Battlefield games. I wouldn't describe ANY Battlefield game as realistic, including Battlefield 1.

Maybe "authentic" is a better word?

I think it makes sense, given how drafting/enlisting worked back then. I'm glad they have a female soldier in the campaign at least.

So silly, especially if they have the character models already done for a SP campaign. Just add a flip switch on the MP side. Jeesh

It's almost assuredly only the Bedoiun female warrior. I'm pretty sure the Western front will be a complete Sausage fest.

Its not though

Apparently the game includes prototype weapons that were not actually used in World War 1, so I don't think they are going for historical accuracy.

I actually expected it to be the other way around, where you would have the option in multiplayer but not in single player to choose your player character.

Oynox

They should have included the female soldier in multiplayer and not in single player. Multiplayer did not seem to be very historically accurate anyways, chances are that they could do this with the sp.

Falchion

Granted there were very few but not having the option to be a female Russian sniper (which they often were) in multiplayer is weird.

Coffinhal

Whether or not they were commonplace, the fact they are in the campaign but not MP is bizarre.

Not necessarily. The campaign focuses on people that had a singular role in the war. The multiplayer focuses on the random soldiers.

They could have made random women in the MP though, like 1/10th of the team is made of women when you spawn. Or if you're a medic you're a nurse.

DrArchon

That's odd. I mean, I get that their weren't that many, but you'd figure that if they have playable women in one mode that they might as well have them in multiplayer as well.

Granted there were very few but not having the option to be a female Russian sniper (which they often were) in multiplayer is weird.

I remember Call of Duty: Finest Hour had a Female Russian Sniper as part of the campaign.

Anyways to me this is a bit of non-controversy; WWI, as I said before, was a complete sausagefest, as most wars in developed nations generally have been.

Top Bottom