• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 on PS4 Pro - Already improved framerate and resolution

-hadouken

So has a patched been released or the patch already on the disc? Regardless the lack of any talk about BF1's Pro enhancements make me think it will be a letdown. If the framerate is still shit I'm not buying it.

Framerate is not shit - is it fully locked? Not sure, tho night and day compared to the old boxes. There was a 2.5GB patch (1.02) in late Oct. Guessing that included the Pro update. Going back to BF4 feels very unsteady - that wonderful game deserves the Pro treatment.

J23DEcp.png

Fisty

30% overclock on a shitty Jaguar isn't going to amount to much in the future, FYI. Open world games are gonna suffer hard.

Never said they wouldn't, I was just answering his question

I doubt this is an NDA thing. Why would they be allowed to announce they are supporting Pro but just restricted by NDA on saying "the patch is here"

I don't buy the NDA theory

This is DICE, they are the type of devs that love to talk about what their engine can do. Something is off here.

Framerate is not shit - is it fully locked? Not sure, tho night and day compared to the old boxes. There was a 2.5GB patch (1.02) in late Oct. Guessing that included the Pro update. Going back to BF4 feels very unsteady - that wonderful game deserves the Pro treatment.

J23DEcp.png

Good to know.

cakely

I thought that Pro doesn't give any enhancements in MP because of the "fair play" thinking.

You're not the only one that doesn't understand this.

Multiplayer games won't offer a jump from 30fps to 60ps on the PS4P pro.

Performance boosts that would keep a game closer to its target framerate, whether that framerate is 30pfs or 60pfs, are absolutely expected.

zedge

I thought that Pro doesn't give any enhancements in MP because of the "fair play" thinking.

Its not. I just keeping the game closer to 60 fps where is should be. Its not like its making a 30 fps game 60 fps. Why are people so confused by this?

My guess is there is a Pro mode on the disk, but it just enables the full power of the system with the existing dynamic resolution up to a max 1080p. I expect DICE has a more substantial patch planned to exploit the additional power.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
30% overclock on a shitty Jaguar isn't going to amount to much in the future, FYI. Open world games are gonna suffer hard.
30% speed up (I wouldn't call it overclock as it's simply the new intended clock and not something that is forced beyond what the hardware is designed for) means that the game that drops frames down to 45 under CPU bottleneck situation will now no longer drop frames under that same condition. That's not a small thing.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
My guess is there is a Pro mode on the disk, but it just enables the full power of the system with the existing dynamic resolution up to a max 1080p. I expect DICE has a more substantial patch planned to exploit the additional power.

Very likely scenario. Could be the current patch literally just doesn't downclock the GPU and CPU at all because they knew it wouldn't break he game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

That's what I'm thinking as well. I'm OK with some games doing this in the launch window, I would just like clear communication about it.

hurzelein

So in 1 year when the Pro had enough buyers every game will "target" 60 fps in Multiplayer, Pro players will get 60 and Classic PS4 owners will eat shit with 40 fps? Nice.

zedge

So in 1 year when the Pro had enough buyers every game will "target" 60 fps in Multiplayer, Pro players will get 60 and Classic PS4 owners will eat shit with 40 fps? Nice.

Or they cut some detail to keep the framerate closer on the PS4.. This is such a ridiculous thing to be getting salty over.

If we have 30/60 splits sure, this? Nope.

ermm...dont think its been patched
only thing i really noticed was the sun reflecting some rays when you moved around but the game looks pretty much the same...could just be the upscaling tricking your eyes

kriskrosbbk

ermm...dont think its been patched
only thing i really noticed was the sun reflecting some rays when you moved around but the game looks pretty much the same...could just be the upscaling tricking your eyes

Can you comment on the 64CQ framerate.Fuck those rays for the moment.
Edit:No one seems to remember that patch 1.02 for PS was almost 1gig over rest of the systems.

-hadouken

Update - played most maps a full round now. Pleasing perf overall, tho of note that Amiens struggles compared with the others.

PC players have already been playing games at 100fps that run at 30 or 40 on PS4.

Why is a PS4Pro running them at 60 going to change anything?

AEREC

Dice is being really weird on communication with this game, from the PS4 exclusive 3 hour late launch (compared to Xbone and PC versions) and the lack of details about the Pro patch.

Glad to hear there is some imporvement, I was hoping for more detail on top of a smoother framerate, but I think an improved framerate at 1080p alone is great. The game really needs it.

This is typically part of a marketing deal. Don't discuss features of software on competitor's hardware until after exclusive rights end.
Yeah I thought I this as well, considering the huge marketing Xbox One gave Battlefield 1. Having DICE say that the game runs better on the PS4 Pro would be disastrous for MS.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
30% speed up (I wouldn't call it overclock as it's simply the new intended clock and not something that is forced beyond what the hardware is designed for) means that the game that drops frames down to 45 under CPU bottleneck situation will now no longer drop frames under that same condition. That's not a small thing.
A 30% CPU clock speed increase doesn't necessarily equate to a 30% performance increase. Similar overclocks on the PC CPUs net you closer to a 10% increase in framerate.

dose

The framerate improvement is not a placebo - I avoid the 64 player modes on PS4/X1S due to the woeful performance.
If the PS4/Xbone 64 player modes are considered woeful then PS4 Pro users will definitely have an advantage online if this is true. This is one of the reasons I don't like mid-gen upgrades for consoles.

-hadouken

PS4 Pro users will definitely have an advantage online if this is true. This is one of the reasons I don't like mid-gen upgrades for consoles.

64 Player modes in BF4/BFH pushed the under-specced PS4/X1 too far long before BF1 or the Pro. They're just not up to it, tho players have come to expect 64 player experiences. What can devs do? I'm thankful that I have the option to invest in more capable hardware after three full years with the existing models.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
If the PS4/Xbone 64 player modes are considered woeful then PS4 Pro users will definitely have an advantage online if this is true. This is one of the reasons I don't like mid-gen upgrades for consoles.

BF is played on PC with a plethora of different configurations and frame rates. With some people playing at 27-30 fps and others playing at 60- 144fps.

On everything from 720p monitors to 8K monitors.

Don't see anyone crying foul there.

madmackem

Not everyone on the base model is getting the same framerate right now due to how the battlefield is dynamic, one person might be getting frame drops while some aiming at him might be getting none due to the massive unpredictable battlefield action.

Logsi

If I stupidly didn't buy this game digitally I would get rid. Just not feeling it and the framerate is jarring when coming from Titanfall 2 which is buttery smooth.

benzopil

If true, good to hear. DF's video on BF1's performance was not very flattering, but it sounds like this may fix the major issues I had with it on console.
Yeah, good to hear that developers don't give a shit about optimization on a regular PS4.

Daffy Duck

I can't believe an NDA would stop them saying how this improves the game, if that's true the industry is even more retarded than I thought it was.

How about fair play in multiplayer?

I have no issues with the framerate on base PS4 btw

If you suck you suck. Good players will still beat the shit out of everyone else, no matter if they play on PS4 or PS4 Pro. And the Pros are going to switch to Pro anyhow. (lol)

And as mentioned before, this isn't an issue on PC, with kinda extreme differences between systems. No one cares. But on a PS4 having more constant fps is an unfair issue. Is THAT fair?

Top Bottom