• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Reveal Trailer, PC/PS4/XB1, Oct 21st [Up2: Screens, Info, Open Beta]

I am sorry but I don't see how drawing a line in the sand with this game works. It was an atrocious war, but they all are. If you have an issue with violence in video games, that's one issue, but to take up the banner against this one conflict doesn't make sense. Do you think the Vietnamese or Americans shouldn't have been upset about BF Vietnam? Is WWII not in a way shameful for the Germans? Yet we played the crap out of that. If you are taking a moral stand against war games in general, I understand, but taking up the rallying charge against only this is selfish and completely degrades your argument.

"There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes". Your ancestors should slap the shit out of you for saying that. They answered their nations call no matter how wrong it may have been in hindsight. I don't agree with the war I fought in but I'd never degrade the sacrifices I made or that my brothers did. We volunteered to fight for our nation, no matter the cause. There may not have been glory as a nation, but there was glory and heroes among the men that fought it. Wars have not changed at all since this moment and never will. We bombed mercilessly in WWII, Vietnam, and present day. Do you think the people that we bombed in Iraq and AFG felt different than those men in the trenches? They had nothing to defend themselves against our technology and weaponry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the First World War. How dare you act like your sacrifice is different than any other generation or any other nation. You put your foot down when it comes to this, but not when it effects others? What kind of coward are you? This is where you draw the line? If you have a principle, stand up for it in full, no when it casts an ugly light on the actions of your ancestors.

I'm not sure what I think of their handling of this yet. As I posted earlier...

But if you are going to cry foul to this, cry foul to the whole industry, for everyone that would be effected, not just your own. This war is unique in scale only. Time will tell if they've handled this properly. It's clear from this thread that there's plenty of misinformation about this war, and the game has probably already resulted in more people going out to learn about i than anything else. Wouldn't reminding the public of the atrocities do more good than harm? Besides reminding you how shameful it makes you of your countries history?

Joaquin-Phoenix-Thumbs-Up.gif

Amazing post

RefigeKru

Banned
whats makes a game interesting to you?

For context I've played Battlefield 2/3/2142 and 4.

This looks like a regression. It could be awesome for all I know but looking at that footage, I'm uninterested. Though I'm willing to admit I'm also one who clamours for Future warfare instead of Past.

I'd answer your question in a different manner though it's so broad, i'm interested in so many games, so many genres and though FPS is one of my favourites this doesn't even begin to tantalise me.

Maybe if I played 1942 i'd see things differently.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That, and trench warfare wasn't known to be the most exciting. Planes were also in their infancy. I'm sure the game will be great, but I just find the choice of WW1 kind of odd.

There were other areas of the war that have interesting possibilities though even the trenches have potential. They could even incorporate some elements of the gameplay info the story and vice versa for an immersive and visceral experience. Use the senseless grind of the back and forth over a small tract of land while bombs drop and mustard gas is fogging the field as a nightmare backdrop. Then suddenly after levels of that its Christmas Eve and the din of gunfire subsides, the whiz of bombs ceases and then a pause and silence before singing filters across the barb wire and bodies. Then a white flag waving as the enemy ventures across to gift what meager rations. Smiles and laughter and sounds unfamiliar after all the warring.

Then the day ends and it starts all over again.

Now that I think about it I'm not that familiar with World War 1 outside of the minimum that was covered in school. I only have a vague idea of the military technology and the theater of war so when I heard the rumors I wasn't stoked. But that trailer made me do a 180 and now I'm super interested in this game!

I think EA was probably pretty hesitant in giving the go-ahead for DICE to make a game based in WW1 because of the current market and being that no game has really gone into that era. I think they're probably breathing a sigh of relief that (for the moment) almost everyone is reacting pretty positively about the game.

I'm excited, I just hope the main theme is an orchestral track and not wubmix.

So glad it isnt Modern shooter #84. So glad to be going to a time we haven't visited yet. The trailer kicks ass and judging by the usually toxic youtube comments section for the trailer, people are really hyped for something different.

Great work DICE, can't fucking wait. Early Enlist Edition for this guy.

I'm more intrigued by this than I ever have been by a Battlefield game. Clearly they're playing fast and loose with historical accuracy, but I found the trailer to be really interesting on an aesthetic level. I could see myself giving this a shot.

My ears bleed from the godawful dub step. You'd think a WW1 setting would let them take the chance to revisit the glory days of orchestral music (which we'll probably still in the final game, if I were to guess.)

Still, the setting looks bloody interesting, and I love they they seem keen on bringing back destruction in a big way.

inigo-montoya.jpg

Thats actually a very standard version of Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes.

Deadbeat

Banned
Someone ask DICE if the PC version is getting proper server support a la bf3, bf4, and hardline. If we do get Battlefront match making bullshit I will be incredibly disappointed.

This turns my stomach. Just flat out the most offensive game I've ever seen.

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of British and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

This trailer, the entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the First World War.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

MFW witnessing the birth of a new GAF copypasta....

tumblr_nw4pgfIXe11rvzbdgo1_500.gif

Xux

This looks pretty sick. I've been bored of modern and future warfare and this looks right up my alley. BF4 was definitely neat and I loved the emphasis on water but the return to a wood and gunmetal aesthetic and older architecture and vehicles. They should do a maybe anachronistic Titan mode with those dirigibles.

Top Bottom