• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 - Worse IQ and Performance on PS4 Pro after newest Patch

Update

Dice is aware of the issues and is looking into it

https://mobile.twitter.com/_FancySquirrel_/status/798984783023972352

Some people including myself have experienced worse image quality and performance on the PS4 Pro, after the latest patch.
One user reports worse framerate on the Argonne Forest map, which i can confirm.
I also noticed more framerate hiccups on the Amiens map, including worse image quality. There is some sort of heavy aliasing or shimmering.
You can see it very clearly at Capture Point E. Just look at all the white windows. It was definitely not like this, before the newest patch.
Another user noticed the same on this map.
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=224584806

That's not a very cool move by Dice, and i hope they will fix it quickly. The game looked super clean on the PS4 Pro, before the recent patch happened.

It's crazy Dice won't / can't say anything about the PRO patches / enhancements (or now downgrades)
People are figuring this stuff out by themselves. Damn.

The IQ, I'm still uncertain of. I'm just gonna chalk it up to different coverage with the AA method, though it does feel softer (might be placebo).

The performance in Argonne Forest (Rush) has definitely degraded. Other maps seem the same as before.

All of the comparison screenshots so far look basically identical. I haven't seen anyone post one that looks downgraded yet

Here's pre and post patch

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=224556201

Performance does seem a bit less stable but it's still pretty good, at least in Conquest. I heard TDM was hurt the most

It looks like it doesn't affect every map on the same level.
Also the aliasing / shimmering is most noticeable when moving / turning around, and not on screenshots.

I will try to make a video of the Amiens map to show what's going on.

gossi

There's only some minor changes around TAA, I'd be surprised if you can see it (on a 4K screen at least). I can't. Performance for me has been good so far, although I haven't captured and compared yet.

So fps drops on Argonne in Rush and some minor graphical issues under very specific circumstances.

Apart from that, game still looks and runs great. Under most circumstances, it looks better than before. Just a side effect of a thousand changes in the latest patch that'll be resolved in no time, knowing DICE.

Why? People were pleased with the Pro version.

So fps drops on Argonne in Rush and some minor graphical issues under very specific circumstances.

Apart from that, game still looks and runs great. Under most circumstances, it looks better than before. Just a side effect of a thousand changes in the latest patch that'll be resolved in no time, knowing DICE.

Hopefully sooner than later.

Hope they fix this soon. Was thinking of picking this up on Black Friday.
Why? People were pleased with the Pro version.
Hopefully sooner than later.

By all means folks, 'worse' in this case does not mean 'holy shit it's so bad now' worse. It's just a bit worse in some cases (but still better than OG PS4) and mostly better in other cases.

It still looks great, it still runs great (mostly). Don't worry.

gossi

I am def assuming this is an update error. Makes no sense for DICE to make the PRO perform worse..right?

I've seen no evidence it performs worse. The only actual frame rate analysis done so far (i.e. not based on looking at a screen and deciding, but with numbers) says performance is better.

thelastword

Banned
So worse IQ and performance. Patches suppose to improve things last i heard. I'm also hearing things are worse on PC too.....

viHuGi

Banned
So worse IQ and performance. Patches suppose to improve things last i heard. I'm also hearing things are worse on PC too.....

Across all platforms, patch is a mess right now but will be solved in no time, just wait some days, Dice is probably over it already.

Uploaded a video to show you the aliasing / shimmering, which wasn't present pre-patch.
Damn youtube compression. Hope you notice what i am talking about, when watching full screen / 1080p on a bigger screen. Hard to see on my smartphone. Look at the windows. They also change the brightness(?) when moving and stopping again. Like getting brighter, then darker again, back to brighter, and so on.
Could this be related to the "improved TAA"?
https://youtu.be/zYcOxiNnfEk

Edit:
Also don't want to scare people, who didn't bought the game yet, away from the game. As others mentioned, the game still looks incredible.
But there is still something going on, worth discussing :)

True Fire

Eh, there's a rough learning curve to running games at higher settings. Gamers might as well learn this the hard way.

It would be so much easier if we could specifically choose and prioritize settings like PC gamers.

Omni

For all this talk of downgrade I'm not seeing any visual proof? I mean if it was so noticeable why aren't people able to prove it?

Or am I just missing something?

IQ seems the same but performance has definitely taken a hit because of the new patch.

Argonne forest is dropping a lot of frames. Every other map I have played performs well on TDM, Rush and Domination but argonne forest has become almost unplayable, in my opinion. I'm also experiencing micro-stutters in every mode and map that I have tried.

Hopefully Dice fixes this soon.

Not seeing or feeling any difference.

I think people got it in their head that there was a downgrade and are now looking for any little thing to prove they are right.

Looked the same to me after a couple of matches, but I'm terrible at telling the difference in resolution. Framerate seemed the same, but I haven't played all the maps. I have noticed some menus are slow to load and kinda wonky. Also quitting takes fordamnever

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So Argonne Forest is the issue?

My play time this morning was on Monte Grappa and Suez and they looked/felt that same as last night.

zedge

Just played after the patch. Image seems softer now? Something is different here. Or I'm crazy. Played conquest on Amiens.

Also some of my load outs were changed. :/

Image quality is blurrier/softer on pro after the patch.
Also framerate and stuttering issues all over the place that werent there before.
Pre-patch this played almost perfectly on pro.
Hope dice fixes this soon.

Well, if this is indeed the case I hope it's fixed soon, but man, why do I get the feeling that for the next 6 months every time a patch rolls out then we're going to see people claiming the Pro version has been negatively impacted?

Everyone is so laser-focused on the Pro right now, I feel like objectivity is suffering.

Just booted up the game for the first time after downloading the patch and I can confirm the game looks worse in multiplayer. I've put over 20 hours into this game on the pro and there's something off. Looks like I'm playing on my OG ps4 again.

ufo8mycat

Just booted up the game for the first time after downloading the patch and I can confirm the game looks worse in multiplayer. I've put over 20 hours into this game on the pro and there's something off. Looks like I'm playing on my OG ps4 again.

It's now that much worse after the patch to the point it's worse then the OG PS4?

I've only played a few rounds of Conquest since the patch and honestly can't say I've noticed much of a difference. I also haven't played the map people seem to think has been affected the most either for what that is worth.

If this is true, it's no doubt extremely disappointing considering its performance was so much improved. I enjoyed the BF1 on the OG, but its multiplayer performance left a lot to be desired especially the framerate. It's hard to emphasize enough just how big the performance enhancements the Pro gave this game and I really hope this is fixed soon.

It's now that much worse after the patch to the point it's worse then the OG PS4?

Some levels and lighting look fine but ball room blitz level looked off.

Also the light tank doesn't emit exhaust anymore when driving it.

Edit: playing empires edge and it looks fine.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Damn, haven't tried since new patch, but I was quite impressed by the visual overhaul the Pro gave it over the weekend prior to the patch. Nothing revolutionary, but the image clarity and framerate did feel somewhat better.

I will test it out myself later tonight, but ugh...its been a crapshoot with these launch week patches. At least CoD and Ratchet look superb.

Not saying you're doing it OP but I swear sometimes gamers blow something up that is totally reasonable. Fps can be circumstantial especially in MP.

Otnopolit

Definite trend here regarding performance of PS4 Pro games. The average consumer won't catch wind of this and the majority of them will never honestly find out, but to our audience, this doesn't look bueno at all.

Top Bottom