• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2042 Gameplay Reveal

Audiophile

Gold Member
Never expected it to look like the trailer, as -- despite it supposedly being in-engine -- it has cinematic direction/animation, no logic to process and is a cross-gen title. But even then I expected somewhere in the ballpark, this is massively underwhelming. Flat lighting, chunky assets, just seems dull. It doesn't help when they market it as a next-gen experience way before the reveal, even though it's cross-gen; it's one or the other. Factor in higher resolution, better textures and much better image quality; and the graphical prowess here isn't all that far removed from BF4, eight years ago, a PS360-PS4/X1 title..

Gameplay wise it looks fun, certainly an evolution. No revolutions. I'm kinda done with third party last gen stuff, it's had its time, I've seen everything that can be done, it doesn't excite me anymore.

Last edited:
Factor in higher resolution, better textures and much better image quality; and the graphical prowess here isn't all that far removed from BF4, eight years ago, a PS360-PS4/X1 title..

I am not sure what people expect. You can’t have everything. This is next gen. Because, as you say, the resolution is better, the textures are better, the image quality is overall better, the maps are massive, the player count is doubled, and despite you talking out of your butt, the lighting and overall graphics are better. So you want to have better graphics at 1080p and 24 player battles? Sure. They can do that but would that be next gen? Development is a trade off of competing decisions and if you think that DICE aren’t at the cutting edge of development then you’re wrong.

Not impressed with visuals at all but since I’m not a graphics whore that’s secondary. Of course they made it ultra dramatic in the presentation, it’s very rarely like that (though not impossible!) but looks like tons of fun and unless Activision pulls an ace out of the sleeve this autumn, this will be my go-to FPS this year.

After very good BF1, it’s good to have BF back.

This looked sick to me - maybe not graphically insane but definitely not ugly - having just played Battlefield 4 single player on gamepass I can safely say this looks FAR better. These battles seem absolutely amazing

Last edited:

Quantum253

Looked solid ill play the beta. But no destructible buildings like BF4?
Fully immersive and destructive environments is something that I love in games. Red Faction did a great job, but I'd love to see developers harness today's tech to really draw that mechanic out and have truly next gen destructible environments.

XXL

james franco GIF

Loved BF2 and 3. 4 felt off and the other BF games weren’t that great. This looks promising. Hope there is an open beta. I’m not preordering for access.

BF trailers always look so choreographed. Imagine playing a MP with those weather effects and cheaters having no issue seeing through them. Are you guys excited for that? Because if you think DICE invested in an anti-cheat, you'd be fucking naive. Also who the fuck will play a MP with low fps because those weather effects will not come cheap. Pass.
umm if your playing on pc you might have those problems, ill be on ps5, yep maybe not as strong as pc but a more healthy player base that doesnt have aa and wallhacks.

Droxcy

Viewing the textures on the 4k video man it looks rough at 1:15 but I'm hoping PC release will look amazing and they fully utilize current tech because I'm hyped

RNG

Rewatching the trailer again at 0.25x speed I noticed that some flags have numbers assigned to them (e.g A1, A2, A3, B1… etc). Man these maps are gonna be yuge, YUGE!

manfestival

Consider me officially hyped. Was cautiously optimistic. Now to set my expectations to be realistic. BF games always are buggy on launch. Will probably lack content as well. Looking forward to putting time into the game.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I really don't like the HUD, and I'm not talking about the colors.

Otherwise I'm in and will have a great time with this playing with friends.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Never expected it to look like the trailer, as -- despite it supposedly being in-engine -- it has cinematic direction/animation, no logic to process and is a cross-gen title. But even then I expected somewhere in the ballpark, this is massively underwhelming. Flat lighting, chunky assets, just seems dull. It doesn't help when they market it as a next-gen experience way before the reveal, even though it's cross-gen; it's one or the other. Factor in higher resolution, better textures and much better image quality; and the graphical prowess here isn't all that far removed from BF4, eight years ago, a PS360-PS4/X1 title..

Gameplay wise it looks fun, certainly an evolution. No revolutions. I'm kinda done with third party last gen stuff, it's had its time, I've seen everything that can be done, it doesn't excite me anymore.

Literally EA's Craig moment. They pushed expectations too high few days ago.

RNG

umm if your playing on pc you might have those problems, ill be on ps5, yep maybe not as strong as pc but a more healthy player base that doesnt have aa and wallhacks.
I hope this game has input-based crossplay like COD, because yeah PC version of 5 was a dumpster fire of hackers using aimbots with the Lewis gun or any other LMG.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
People must be new to gaming if they thought the in engine trailer was gonna be exactly how the game was gonna look

so its $70. and theres 2 versions last gen and current gen. Last gen being cheaper. And no u can't buy the last gen version and just upgrade for free like every other single game.
this game was already on thin fking ice with me with how bad the last two Battlefields were.

will try the ea access trial or beta or whatever. And it will probably come to gamepass in less than a year just like 5

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wtf is this? I must be seeing things because this looks like a downgrade from BF1 and BF5 visually.

Its the pre Alpha.

This is exactly what people said going from
BF3 -> BF4 C.Beta
BF4 -> BF1 Alpha
BF1 -> BFV

Although BF1 to BFV is more understandable, BF1 had amazing atmosphere in MP so few maps in BFV had that level of atmosphere.

The final game "should" have more post effects enabled and higher quality textures and geometry.
If you entered any of the last Battlefield Alphas or even Betas you would see the final game looks much better than the Alpha or Beta test.

Tschumi

As usual it looks fantastic, as usual the main roadblock for me is that every match will have a handful of players who have memorised exactly where heads will pop out and exactly how to fire their snipers for instant headshots the moment those heads appear

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm absolutely awful at battlefield games but I'd really like to get comfortable playing this.

You can finish top of the leaderboard just by playing objective. Takes a while to get used to it but stay by your squad, don't go looking for kills and forget KDR. You know I didn't see anyone go prone in the trailer.......

I really like the look af switching loadout attachments on the fly mid game. Suppose it has to complement the changing encounters.

WpxKVa.jpg

Shmunter

Its the pre Alpha.

This is exactly what people said going from
BF3 -> BF4 C.Beta
BF4 -> BF1 Alpha
BF1 -> BFV

Although BF1 to BFV is more understandable, BF1 had amazing atmosphere in MP so few maps in BFV had that level of atmosphere.

The final game "should" have more post effects enabled and higher quality textures and geometry.
If you entered any of the last Battlefield Alphas or even Betas you would see the final game looks much better than the Alpha or Beta test.
I hope you’re right. The footage here didn’t even look like frostbite being so plain.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Blown away by how much is going on!

Graphics and choice of gameplay in it are incredible.

I'm absolutely awful at battlefield games but I'd really like to get comfortable playing this.

PTFO and/or play medic or support and youll be your teams/squads linchpin easy work.

If playing Conquest or Attacking Breakthrough basically get kills where you can but play like you are part of a much larger machine one man army'ing in Battlefield isnt all that important because of the number of players.

Stick with your squad follow orders and support your squad/team as much as you can.....youll be leaderboard topping every match.

Back in BF3 when no one would use the defib, i went something like 7 to 10 kdr but was top of the leaderboard 10 times outta 10.
Just needed the MVP strap so the easiest way without becoming a sweat lord was just to revive everyone i come by or supply ammo to everyone

Top Bottom