• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2042 |OT| - Squad Up, Gear Up, and Join the Fight.

EDMIX

This perfectly encapsulates modern DICE. Put out a patch, fix some things and then the patch breaks the game all over again. This is how patching BFV went on for a year.

Thats most software tbh.

Patch to fix patch to fix update from last patch lol

SZips

Just saw this on r/Battlefield 2042.

6X00LDH.jpg

A clown. The lack of self-awareness is staggering.

Thats most software tbh.

Patch to fix patch to fix update from last patch lol
There is some truth to that but It was worse than normal. DICE had to make a public apology for every single patch breaking the game and pissing off the fans even more. I've never seen it this bad for any other game except for say R6 Siege

Last edited:

EDMIX

There is some truth to that but It was worse than normal. DICE had to make a public apology for every single patch breaking the game and pissing off the fans even more. I've never seen it this bad for any other game except for say R6 Siege
I'd say its a bit much to keep bashing them even when they are currently addressing issues and fixing the game.

So we've seen it this bad, we've seen it where teams don't apologize at all and simply don't patch or fix games to the point of 2 patches in 2 weeks and a list of 150 plus map fixes or something.

If they didn't address the issues, months went by without a patch, sir....I'd say that is the time to say something like "never seen it this bad" ,not when its being addressed like this. Of all the issues I've seen with 2042, them updating it isn't a fucking issue, that simply just can't be it as it questions whats the point of even being on here if you are looking to then attack even the people fixing the fucking thing you just complained about prior? lol 2042 needs a lot of work, I wish it had a better launch, I however don't see them fixing it as some issue in and of itself, its simply too extreme like being mad for the sake of being mad lol All I can ask is that they update, patch and work on new content, I can't ask them to go back in time as that launch date is EA's to blame and not the team working on fixing the game currently. As it stands, DICE is making an apology for something EA rolled out for the holidays when its clear they could have just waited til spring 2022 and it would be wide open for a MP game vs trying to get to dat fall money lol

I commend them for skipping the next gen launch to give DICE more time, but they should have just delayed til spring, kept the early access stuff or beta (or what ever the fuck they want to call tah shit lol) and then released it in spring with all those patches based on the feedback of those players or something. The way I see a lot of this, maybe it really does make sense to just have a beta that last several months or something.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
i happened to read the original post, dont delete it man, i feel exactly the same, you nailed it and i'm sad as fuck myself about what happened to my favorite series
I know. I kind of vented and I don't usually do that these days. I am just so sick of all this. I just feel like this series isn't for me anymore. BF5 kind of felt that way sometimes, but for the most part it was still Battlefield. I still had those "Holy shit that was awesome!" moments that the series has always given me.

But 2042 doesn't do that for me. It feels off. It's just not Battlefield.

Last edited:

Buhaj

ok, but didn't BF1 also have a bunch of skins and shit?

Buhaj Buhaj lolz, no it doesn't man lol They are both great games btw, simply relax on the whole hot take hyperbole thing.
It didn't have soldier skins. And I'm relaxed, it's my opinion BF1 is superior to BF5 - what's hard to understand?

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Getting away from the strange skin-stuff...

The latest patch fixed every single bug I was experiencing in minute to minute gameplay.
After the catastrophic state the game was in at launch I´m seriously baffled how fast they managed to fix most of the technical issues. I´m sure a LOT of overhours went into those 3 patches.
Now about the design issues, the missing leaderboard, the missing server browser, the nonexistent teamplay due to the abolishment of classes, the pointless double and triple animations/cinematics when joining or ending a round, the downright broken mapdesign in some spots etc etc. that´s stuff that will take time if it gets fixed at all.

I got the game for ~30 bucks and in the state it`s in right now I think I made a good deal, and that`s something I´d have never said a mere 2 weeks ago. Dice pretty much ruined the game for players without an organized squad, but it´s still great fun with friends.
When you manage to break a siege with your squad with explosive shells raining down on you or just shoot the pilot out of a helicopter and see the whole crew fall to their deaths...the "only in Battlefield" moments are still in there.

Last edited:
Add a switch so people who don't want cringy ass heroes only see regular grunts. And a server setting to disable wingsuits, wallhacks and all that other junk. It's the only way to retain the hardcore BF audience outside of portal.

But who am I kidding, they don't give a fuck. This is a clear move to ditch the hardcore and invite the more malleable Fortnite audience.

The latest patch fixed every single bug I was experiencing in minute to minute gameplay.
After the catastrophic state the game was in at launch I´m seriously baffled how fast they managed to fix most of the technical issues. I´m sure a LOT of overhours went into those 3 patches.
Now about the design issues, the missing leaderboard, the missing server browser, the nonexistent teamplay due to the abolishment of classes, the pointless double and triple animations/cinematics when joining or ending a round, the downright broken mapdesign in some spots etc etc. that´s stuff that will take time if it gets fixed at all.

I got the game for ~30 bucks and in the state it`s in right now I think I made a good deal, and that`s something I´d have never said a mere 2 weeks ago. Dice pretty much ruined the game for players without an organized squad, but it´s still great fun with friends.
When you manage to break a siege with your squad with explosive shells raining down on you or just shoot the pilot out of a helicopter and see the whole crew fall to their deaths...the "only in Battlefield" moments are still in there.
my favorite "only in Battlefield" moments are when you shoot at a guy with an assault rifle and hit him with 3 bursts, he turns around, you're now reloading, and he lasers you in 2 shots with an smg from 500 meters. super awesome.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Other than the truly amature hour mouse bug (that is easily fixable, but thats besides the point) I am pretty impressed with this new patch.
- The DLSS upgrades made the game much better looking when running DLSS (seems much clearer with less artifacts).
- I am getting 10-20 fps more so I am now over 100 fps on average (i10/2080ti, Ultra settings, DLSS Quality) and the game feels much smoother.
- I like all of the UI improvements. It feels less clunky and like a more finished product (still needs some work).
- Really like that the added in nearby medics when downed
- The in game map almost looks like a professional made it now!
- You can now make your current fire mode visible at all times

Things that still need work
- PUT FULL XP BACK ON PORTAL YOU FUCKS....sorry...
- Redesign of weapon attachments and their perks (right now they are nearly pointless and it seems really tacked on an boring compared to other games)
- Overall weapon balance (although it isn't in a horrible spot right now)
- Leaderboard?!?!?
- VOIP?!?!?
- Complete over hall of all maps to add more cover, better capture points and more detail (maybe this will happen one day)
- The addition of 64 player modes from last gen to new gen and PC.
- Redesign of squad system
- Performance optimization is still not great unless you have a god computer that can brute force the game. Even then god computers are getting fucked compared to other games.

my favorite "only in Battlefield" moments are when you shoot at a guy with an assault rifle and hit him with 3 bursts, he turns around, you're now reloading, and he lasers you in 2 shots with an smg from 500 meters. super awesome.
Not sure what's going on here but I got 66 kills with the M5A3 on hourglass last night, and the AK melts people like crazy right now. Its probably the best gun in the game right now. Guns have to be set up correctly though. For example the m5A3 is only good with close quarters ammo, short barrel and your choice of movement accuracy grip/grenade launcher/laser sight.

If you are using the burst AK then...well...that gun underperforms at short range and at long range. Its really niche.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Any PS4/Xbox One players willing to let me tag along Hazard Zone? I simply can't find a single match here in Brazil. The mode is basically dead.
I play both PS4 and PS5 versions as I have friends on both, so you can add me if you want. Just send me a DM sometime.

I know. I kind of vented and I don't usually do that these days. I am just so sick of all this. I just feel like this series isn't for me anymore. BF5 kind of felt that way sometimes, but for the most part it was still Battlefield. I still had those "Holy shit that was awesome!" moments that the series has always given me.

But 2042 doesn't do that for me. It feels off. It's just not Battlefield.
100% agree, i put in about 10 hours so far and the soul of the game is gone, DICE had huge changes internally, most of the staff left after BF1 which explains BF5 and then 50% of staff left after BF5 so you can imagine the studio is mostly comprised of new devs to the franchise hence the complete lack of identity with BF2042

I blindly pre-ordered the $100 edition which shows how much faith and excitement I had for this title and kept my pre-order even after the terrible beta hoping it was a super old build. I'm fucking upset I paid 100 bucks for this garbage, i could have gotten two solid ps5 games for that during the black friday sale instead, heck maybe even three.

Last edited:
Other than the truly amature hour mouse bug (that is easily fixable, but thats besides the point) I am pretty impressed with this new patch.
- The DLSS upgrades made the game much better looking when running DLSS (seems much clearer with less artifacts).
- I am getting 10-20 fps more so I am now over 100 fps on average (i10/2080ti, Ultra settings, DLSS Quality) and the game feels much smoother.
- I like all of the UI improvements. It feels less clunky and like a more finished product (still needs some work).
- Really like that the added in nearby medics when downed
- The in game map almost looks like a professional made it now!
- You can now make your current fire mode visible at all times

Things that still need work
- PUT FULL XP BACK ON PORTAL YOU FUCKS....sorry...
- Redesign of weapon attachments and their perks (right now they are nearly pointless and it seems really tacked on an boring compared to other games)
- Overall weapon balance (although it isn't in a horrible spot right now)
- Leaderboard?!?!?
- VOIP?!?!?
- Complete over hall of all maps to add more cover, better capture points and more detail (maybe this will happen one day)
- The addition of 64 player modes from last gen to new gen and PC.
- Redesign of squad system
- Performance optimization is still not great unless you have a god computer that can brute force the game. Even then god computers are getting fucked compared to other games.

Not sure what's going on here but I got 66 kills with the M5A3 on hourglass last night, and the AK melts people like crazy right now. Its probably the best gun in the game right now. Guns have to be set up correctly though. For example the m5A3 is only good with close quarters ammo, short barrel and your choice of movement accuracy grip/grenade launcher/laser sight.

If you are using the burst AK then...well...that gun underperforms at short range and at long range. Its really niche.
dude good to know. glad you didn't tell me "sounds like you need to get better'. i can DOMINATE 40+ kills on bfv and battlefront 2, etc. finding it hard to get into a rhythm on this one. usually by level 57 i should be getting a feel for these guns, but other than the pp29, nothing doing. even that one is now a little wack. i'll try out those adjustments on the m5a3. you're probably the bastard that's always killin me!! :D:D

R6Rider

Gold Member
Started using the vector more on one of my load outs and once I get a bigger mag, it's going to be bliss.

Wait that santa skin is real? I thought it was some made up thing to take the mickey or something.... What the hell.

Please someone make a battlefield 3/4 clone for consoles

ymoc

But see, imagine this happened with another product you have just bought. Like a toaster. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldnt, some features advertised would ve different, etc. Sometimes your bread would be toasted, sometimes burnt. You'd be pissed and returned it immediately. The fact they launched this game in such a disastrous shape is unacceptable. They knew well the state of their product, yet they didnt care.
Im so tired of these corporations releasing broken products and expecting our sympathy and understanding for their failed cash grabs.

Ironbunny

*Dice developer somewhere some time:

"I have this great idea. When the player is shot with exploding grenades from vehicles like choppers or tanks it blocks the movement of the player. You literally are stopped to your tracks. You cant move at all. Whos with me?"

*implemented

Idiot GIF

Imtjnotu

"I have this great idea. When the player is shot with exploding grenades from vehicles like choppers or tanks it blocks the movement of the player. You literally are stopped to your tracks. You cant move at all. Whos with me?"

*implemented

Idiot GIF
Bolte field 2042

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
dude good to know. glad you didn't tell me "sounds like you need to get better'. i can DOMINATE 40+ kills on bfv and battlefront 2, etc. finding it hard to get into a rhythm on this one. usually by level 57 i should be getting a feel for these guns, but other than the pp29, nothing doing. even that one is now a little wack. i'll try out those adjustments on the m5a3. you're probably the bastard that's always killin me!! :D:D
Play style matters with m5a3. I am hyper aggressive at flanking with that CQC M5A3 build and it is terrible over 50m. M5A3 in general is average to bad at anything over 75m. It is really good up close with hip fire in CQC mode though. I compare it to using the bf3 P90 in portal. If you want to use an AR at any kind of range the AK is a beast (Will lose to smgs m5a3 hip fire though). With practice you can tap fire kill snipers before they even know you are looking at them. BTW the SCAR has a good tap fire as well but is inferior to the ak at mid and close range until you unlock the drum mag (Even then its still not as good all around as the ak). The burst AK is fun (AC42) but its just really inconsistent.

Other weapon thoughts:
- If you liked the M1 in BFv look at the VCAR in the DMR tree. Its frustrating at first because it really needs a 3x scope to unlock its potential (and that is a late unlock).
- MP9 is the best SMG once you unlock the drum for it. They stealth nerfed the pp29 with this last patch.
-The Vector (k30) reminds me a lot of the Thompson in BF5. Unruly and inconsistent until you get the drum mag and just spit bullets.
- Auto Shotty is a lot of fun.
- The only bad gun is the lever action and even that can be fun as a skill shot weapon.

More M5A3 CQC thoughts
- use one of the red dots that doesn't decrease ADS speed
- Don't bother tap firing with it, just spray
- You will be out of ammo fast so run over dead bodies to restock or carry ammo pouch
- If you know someone is around the corner then sprint towards it and then slide while hip firing. You have a latency advantage when clearing the corner and people are accustomed to COD corner jumps (which dont work well in BF games)
- When being aggressive use an "accuracy while moving" grip.
- Remember to turn your laser on every time you respawn

*implemented

Idiot GIF
This is a network issues. They claim they are working on it. I agree its fucking stupid.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

AK 24 for me fits best in the medic support roll. I'm not out there trying to get the most kills. Just trying to heal and revive the most people

DeaDPo0L84

Post patch really having a great time. Dlss issues are now resolved, no more odd white outline around objects, game generally just looks better. I do have one lingering problem that persist, when I get revived and go to say thank you, if I needed to reload before dying the reload text will stay on my screen until next death. Not a huge deal but pretty annoying.

Also Rush needs to stick around full time, hearing those mcom alarms is nostalgic.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Anyone who hasn't tried out the PKP, needs to. It comes with a bipod to start and has 200 rounds with a pretty good rate of fire. MELTS groups of enemies and after the spread reduction it's super fun to play with.

I really hope we see a future take on the P90 and AS VAL as those are my favorites in the series.

Last edited:
Play style matters with m5a3. I am hyper aggressive at flanking with that CQC M5A3 build and it is terrible over 50m. M5A3 in general is average to bad at anything over 75m. It is really good up close with hip fire in CQC mode though. I compare it to using the bf3 P90 in portal. If you want to use an AR at any kind of range the AK is a beast (Will lose to smgs m5a3 hip fire though). With practice you can tap fire kill snipers before they even know you are looking at them. BTW the SCAR has a good tap fire as well but is inferior to the ak at mid and close range until you unlock the drum mag (Even then its still not as good all around as the ak). The burst AK is fun (AC42) but its just really inconsistent.

Other weapon thoughts:
- If you liked the M1 in BFv look at the VCAR in the DMR tree. Its frustrating at first because it really needs a 3x scope to unlock its potential (and that is a late unlock).
- MP9 is the best SMG once you unlock the drum for it. They stealth nerfed the pp29 with this last patch.
-The Vector (k30) reminds me a lot of the Thompson in BF5. Unruly and inconsistent until you get the drum mag and just spit bullets.
- Auto Shotty is a lot of fun.
- The only bad gun is the lever action and even that can be fun as a skill shot weapon.

More M5A3 CQC thoughts
- use one of the red dots that doesn't decrease ADS speed
- Don't bother tap firing with it, just spray
- You will be out of ammo fast so run over dead bodies to restock or carry ammo pouch
- If you know someone is around the corner then sprint towards it and then slide while hip firing. You have a latency advantage when clearing the corner and people are accustomed to COD corner jumps (which dont work well in BF games)
- When being aggressive use an "accuracy while moving" grip.
- Remember to turn your laser on every time you respawn

This is a network issues. They claim they are working on it. I agree its fucking stupid.
appreciate the tips! just played some battlefront 2 and went 83 and 30 in my first round in years so i know i'm not TERRIBLE! lol

JoeBudden

Here's some real criticism towards DICE and BF2042, and not some "0/10 super trash, worst game ever!!!" bullshit

Completely agree with dude. DICE had the perfect blueprint with BF3 and BF4 but they keep unnecessarily innovating and adding stupid ideas like Operations, Firestorm, Haha Zone, War Stories, Specialists, etc etc, to the franchise. All we want is BF4 with better graphics and better destruction.

Last edited:

JoeBudden

I actually love skins of all types just fix game issues before putting anything like this together looking how to make money down the line

As much as i want them to have some sense of priority and self-awareness too, were definitely going to see monetization start with Season 1.

This is considering how we were told that were only getting one more (smaller) patch in late December until Season 1. The game is likely going to be in this state (or very similar) when they open up the shop.

DeaDPo0L84

Hmmm I don't recall if this happened before update 3 but when spawning into a match my performance is pretty bad for a few seconds then it levels out and is fine for the rest of the match.

Also menu animations are really choppy.

JoeBudden

BF4 had a worse launch than this.

JoeBudden

Normally in a round I can get 25k xp with my current load out.

Falk specialist
Ak24
Mp28
Fxm 33
Prox grenade

I usually use a smoke grenade so I can easily pop a revive off in the wide open or busier areas without getting killed.

Ammo boxes are good too for keeping you in the game longer. Endless supply of ammo and smokes.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
appreciate the tips! just played some battlefront 2 and went 83 and 30 in my first round in years so i know i'm not TERRIBLE! lol
There are runs in bf 2042 where I literally cant kill anybody until a switch to a gun that better fits the map (or section if the map). This is both cool and annoying (sometimes I really want to stick to a gun to get unlocks :p). 2042 is the worst about bad runs of any BF game because of the extra players.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

I usually use a smoke grenade so I can easily pop a revive off in the wide open or busier areas without getting killed.

Ammo boxes are good too for keeping you in the game longer. Endless supply of ammo and smokes.
I keep the Fxm just to scare off all the helicopters. With them gone I can run around with health gun. Not too worried about ammo

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I keep the Fxm just to scare off all the helicopters. With them gone I can run around with health gun. Not too worried about ammo
Sundance is the best way to scare off helis. They bolt if one of her grenades locks on. After they have blown their chaff then you pull out FXM...Boom

honestly if air is being annoying I hop in a wildcat and destroy them repeatedly. You can spend a whole round in that thing and make enemy air completely ineffective. Its nice since I hate choppers with a passion.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Sundance is the best way to scare off helis. They bolt if one of her grenades locks on. After they have blown their chaff then you pull out FXM...Boom

honestly if air is being annoying I hop in a wildcat and destroy them repeatedly. You can spend a whole round in that thing and make enemy air completely ineffective. Its nice since I hate choppers with a passion.
I stick with healing and falck. Pretty much my favorite Battlefield role since bad coconpany 2

Top Bottom