• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2142 With a Dash of Spyware

Macam

Banned
In case you missed it, Battlefield 2142 has a little surprise in store for people:

Courtesy of Shacknews (although Kotak.u reported it as well, but GAF censors that for some reason):

Tipper Nic directs our attention to this forum post, where we read of a disheartening little slip of paper that suggests some seriously gross spyware will be installed along with Battlefield 2142, all in the name of in-game advertising:

"So. In the latest CGW podcast, they received retail boxed copies of BF 2142.
When you open the box, a big slip of paper falls out first, preceeding any discs or manuals. The slip of paper says, essentially, that 2142 includes monitoring software which runs while your computer is online, and records "anonymous" information like your IP address, surfing habits (probably via cookie scans), and other "computing habits" in order to report this information back to ad companies and ad servers, which generates in-game ads.

Now, I can live with certain in-game ads (though apparently there will be Dodge truck and Neon ads in the bleak, futuristic world of 2142), but including a lengthy description - outside of even the Eula - seems to indicate even EA knows that this is some shady borderline spyware shit. I don't support it and won't be buying 2142 (for a host of other reasons, too)."

Don't like it? Spread the word via Digg or contact EA and let them know how shitty that is.

shpankey

not an idiot
i was on the fence on whether to get this or not. now i'm definitely not gonna pick it up. this is heinous.

Gattsu25

Banned
was thinking this would be the first BF game I buy

I think I'll still get it

edit: meh, on second thought might as well wait for quake wars, I could use my money to buy my brother a better birthday gift

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
This seems like a good time to remind everyone that the superior Quake Wars looks to be shipping in the first half of '07.

shpankey

not an idiot
TekunoRobby said:
This seems like a good time to remind everyone that the superior Quake Wars looks to be shipping in the first half of '07.
sweet. i think that's a good time to upgrade also. a new dx10 card, a new OS and a new [awesome] game.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Boooo, I was planning on getting it just a few hours ago, but I'm already gonna pay $50 + for the game, why the **** would I want spyware as an extra? EA and it's in game ads can go **** itself, I'm not getting the game anymore.

Chichikov

UN-****ing-acceptable.
I liked the demo quite a lot (I hope it hadn’t installed that piece of shit on my machine).
I was going to buy the game.
Not any more.

Boycott it.

Chichikov

picture (from the interwebs) -
82432.jpg

Spread the word.

"Warning, the EA Install Shield Wizard has detected Ad Aware on your computer. Ad Aware causes known conflicts with Battlefield 2142. Please uninstall Ad Aware before installing Battlefield 2142."

- I can see into the future.

Aaron

The in-game ads alone made this a no sell for me. Not sure why anyone would bother with it after that was announced, and Quake Wars shaping up to be at least 10x better.

White Man said:
This better not be standard with all of their PC games from now on.

Only if all PC gamers be united and don't buy this crap from EA.

As long as ppl keep buying EA crap, stuff like this is gonna happen. There are enough ppl out there who will buy and will give enough motivation to EA to make another sequel.

ManaByte

Gold Member
http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=13054817

oh ****, seriously, take off the tinfoil hats.

no BF2 doesn't have it.

and as for BF2142, from all descriptions, it's not spyware. it's the ad downloader for the ingame ads. it just downloads the images for the billboards. It doesn't hijack your browser or collect any information on you. It downloads images. Nothing worse than visiting any website with Ads on it. (the shack included)

Tain

Yeah, I'm not jumping on the hate bandwagon unitl its confirmed that the uploaded info is, in fact, cookies or other terribly personal shit.

There shouldn't be any ****ing ads in games at all. PERIOD.

Also, yes, it does collect info on your surfing habits.. otherwise the in-game ads would be wholly ineffective.

Never going to buy an EA game with in-game ads, or any other company's game for that matter. I won't support advertising in one of the few mediums that remained free of it.

White Man said:
This better not be standard with all of their PC games from now on.

Seriously. There would be no words to describe my rage if the whole Spore content creation/sharing was packaged with this sort of shit.

Mashing

I hope someone is keeping a journal of all of EA's bullshit and takes them to court with it all one day. Knock the mother****ers down a peg I say!

Pimpbaa

davepoobond said:
and another reason why console games are better =p

Except that 2 of the next gen consoles have web browsers, and possibly both store cookies. EA could implement something like that on the wii and ps3.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Pimpbaa said:
Except that 2 of the next gen consoles have web browsers, and possibly both store cookies. EA could implement something like that on the wii and ps3.

at least its not on my PC, which has more sensitive info than a game console will

Defcon said:
I like how it says if you don't want spyware on your system, don't install or play the game. Nice one, EA.

A little late for that after the seal is broken on the box. Most retailers won't take a return on a game once its opened.

EA should have to post that outside the box.

White Man

ZombieSupaStar said:
i dunno it says right there it tracks your ip and "other anonymous data" to give you ads in game

Technically, any online game tracks your IP. It disgusts me that they expect us to pay to be advertised at, but I can't deem this truly evil unless they are collecting shit they have no right being near.

White Man said:
Technically, any online game tracks your IP. It disgusts me that they expect us to pay to be advertised at, but I can't deem this truly evil unless they are collecting shit they have no right being near.

for an extra $10 a year you can turn off data mining.

yes, i'm SUPA HIRO and i saw the future

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why are places reporting this like it's news? Guess what, ever game with in game ads does this. SWAT 4? Yep. Planetside? Yep. Anarchy Online? Yep.

All of them. It's just monitoring what ads you look at and for how long. Don't like it, tough, it's coming to consoles very very soon.

Defcon said:
Btw, Splinter Cell: Double Agent is doing the same thing.

http://clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3623683

Massive seems somewhat different...see privacy plicy

Four important points underlie our privacy policy:

1. We do not collect personally identifiable information ("PII").
PII generally includes information that Massive or other third parties could use to determine the identity of a game player, such as name, address, phone number, or email address. We currently do not collect PII when we deliver in-game advertisements. However, as stated below, we do not have the ability to prevent our game publisher or developer partners, or game console manufacturers, from collecting PII about game players. Accordingly, we encourage you always to read the privacy policies and end-user license agreements associated with the games you play, and the game consoles you purchase, to understand issues relating to your online privacy.

2. We do not currently utilize cookies to deliver in-game advertising and we do not place persistent data or install persistent tracking mechanisms on game players’ computers.

3. We require that our game publisher and developer partners, as well as console manufacturers, promise to comply with applicable law and we encourage them to engage in fair information practices.

We request that our partners acknowledge and comply with applicable law including laws relating to online privacy. We also encourage our partners to create privacy policies and to provide game players with access to their privacy policies through end-user license agreements. Although we cannot monitor every in-game interaction tracked by each of our many game publisher and developer partners and match it to each respective partner's privacy policy, we may monitor our partner’s privacy policies to determine whether we believe they have complied with their obligations under applicable privacy laws.

4. We strive to keep promises we make about information we gather online.

We may change our privacy policy as we add new services or change existing services, but we endeavor to treat information we possess (including information collected from our corporate Web site) in a manner consistent with the policy under which it was collected.

If part or all of our assets or business operations are acquired or otherwise transferred, we will take steps to ensure that these same principles continue to apply to the acquiring company, but cannot guarantee the policy or practice of any third party.

Chichikov

Schafer said:
Why are places reporting this like it's news? Guess what, ever game with in game ads does this. SWAT 4? Yep. Planetside? Yep. Anarchy Online? Yep.

All of them. It's just monitoring what ads you look at and for how long. Don't like it, tough, it's coming to consoles very very soon.
I’ll consider any information they collect in-game as "fair game".
They see I play a medic and want to put an ad for med school*? More power to them.
But if they are collecting data from my computer, cookies or otherwise, this shit is unacceptable.

*Worst. Example. Ever!

Defcon

Banned
monchi-kun said:
Massive seems somewhat different...see privacy plicy

Ahh. It's still hilarious. Having an in-game ad for a razor that says, "the good guy never has a beard" and then claiming that ties into the game because the protagonist is shaven...pure hilarity.

sangreal

I entered this thread expecting typical GAF overreaction, but yeah... that sounds pretty bad.

It sounds to me likel tehy are collecting stuff completely unrelated to the game based on your internet use. It even warns you to not even install the game on a machine that connects to the iternet, let alone play it.

Top Bottom