• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Dakota47

MikeTyson said:
Seems a lot of the Battlefield(2) vets. are pissed; while the majority of Bad Company 2 players seem to be on the upside.

Most BF2 vets I know (including myself) didn't particularly like Operation Metro, but were won over by Caspian Border.

MrKnives

Dakota47 said:
Most BF2 vets I know (including myself) didn't particularly like Operation Metro, but were won over by Caspian Border.

I have played BF2 and BC2 and that map is bad by both games standards.

Dakota47

Useful.

9cwre.jpg

Foliorum Viridum said:
Caspian looks much nicer than Metro but it's still not an overly great looking game. It's very inconsistent, I think.

let's not kid ourself, this is a good looking game for being multiplayer. (taken with high settings)

dm0d4.jpg

probably the best looking multiplayer game out there.

Dakota47 said:
Useful.

http://i.imgur.com/9cwre.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I had no idea it looked like that. There's a huge amount of wasted space between US base and the Antenna that I never knew existed (as part of the map for ground units anyway). It seems pretty small from a top down view as well, although obviously it isn't.

DSN2K

noticed in recent matches people are beginning to understand the importance of "forest" and its access to every other part of the map, before 2 men could recapture it.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
let's not kid ourself, this is a good looking game for being multiplayer. (taken with high settings)

dm0d4.jpg

probably the best looking multiplayer game out there.
Yeah, it looks nice. It's not the next gen visuals DICE were hyping, though, and as I said it is quite inconsistent. It can look quite ugly just as easily as it looks really nice.

I have no issues with the visuals, it's definitely ahead of the competition.

DSN2K said:
noticed in recent matches people are beginning to understand the importance of "forest" and its access to every other part of the map, before 2 men could recapture it.

I capture Forest quite often by myself. It's not that hard to defend as well by sitting in the bushes with an SMG and the flash suppressor.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Has anyone else pre-ordered from Origin yet?

I went ahead and pre-ordered last night. However, there is not any feedback within origin that indicates I purchased the game. I did get a confirmation email but I expected that there would be a tile or something in the "My Games" section. I guess maybe the tile will not be visible until closer to release.

I just want to make sure that nothing went weird with my purchase, this is my first time buying something off Origin. So is this normal?

MNC

Caspian is so good. Tempted to preorder had it not been Origin being a piece of shit (Bad ingame overlay, bad chat/friend system, takes 3 minutes to boot somehow if it's off) Hope they can come through with the Steam thing.

F#A#Oo

Banned
DICE better support this game with DLC...I want atleast 2 map packs (3 maps per pack) and if possible new outfits for the factions. The current look of the factions is too similar to each other and there is little to distinguish the factions. If the wanna throw weapon skins that's cool too.

I would love more BF2 maps...or new settings altogether...like a Siberian snow map with teams fighting to detonate a bomb which causes an avalanche. You then move on to the next section to cause another avalanche (essentially Rush?). Or a map that randomly regenerated due to an earthquake thus every game would be different on the map.

I think progressively terrain changing map is the future of map design...keeps things fresh.

F#A#Oo said:
DICE better support this game with DLC...I want atleast 2 map packs (3 maps per pack) and if possible new outfits for the factions. The current look of the factions is too similar to each other and there is little to distinguish the factions. If the wanna throw weapon skins that's cool too.

I would love more BF2 maps...or new settings altogether...like a Siberian snow map with teams fighting to detonate a bomb which causes an avalanche. You then move on to the next section to cause another avalanche (essentially Rush?). Or a map that randomly regenerated due to an earthquake thus every game would be different on the map.

I think progressively terrain changing map is the future of map design...keeps things fresh.

i wouldnt worrt, dice said that there will be lots of support for this game after launch.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
F#A#Oo said:

They will. Didn't Bach or some other DICE exec said that they have DLC planned for at least a year?

I agree with the skins. Here I was hoping we'd get some Tier 1 beard or something once you reach level 50 or something. I mean a different skin to show different levels would be a nice touch.

I only hope unlocks, progression will take the time they're saying it will. BC2 and MoH had very short unlock trees. I remember Patrick Liu saying MoH had 70-100 hours of unlocks and most people unlocked everything within 30 hours or something.

Regarding maps, real night maps would be nice. Or environments being affected by the weather would add a whole new level to each level. I doubt dynamic weather can be implemented, but imagine Caspian or some other maps having 2-3 variations depending on the weather, etc? Would add a lot more variety even if the map count isn't that high.

One DLC I do really want is that dinosaur foolishness they're joking about. Can you imagine 4-player coop and your goal is to take down a bad-ass T-Rex? Couple that in with vehicles, destruction...damn! Would be awesome!

Sigma Storm said:
I love it and all but it doesn't have that true Battlefield feel.

Yeah it definitely feels like an evolution of Bad Company, from the setup of the classes, squad limitations, unlocks, map design, and general design approach (i.e. BF2 was only for certain people, this game is for everyone) that trickles down into things like no grenade cooking or vehicles getting disabled giving players the chance to bail.

Manager

Darklord said:
Over 262,950 hours? How many people are working on it? Wouldn't that mean even if they had like 400 people it would still be nearly 200 hour weeks? Or is my maths wrong?

Sounds way too much by calculation. Sounds like you somehow doubled it though?

I get it at ~26h a day for 200 people. If they are 170-180, I make it that they worked 24/7 for 30 years. Obv they gotta sleep so it's kind of false. He might have included the marketing folks, ad recorders etc though.

desu

Darklord said:
Over 262,950 hours? How many people are working on it? Wouldn't that mean even if they had like 400 people it would still be nearly 200 hour weeks? Or is my maths wrong?

Didnt they recently say 200? Not sure if this was all of dice or just for bf3.

kitch9

Banned
Confidence Man said:
Yeah it definitely feels like an evolution of Bad Company, from the setup of the classes, squad limitations, unlocks, map design, and general design approach (i.e. BF2 was only for certain people, this game is for everyone) that trickles down into things like no grenade cooking or vehicles getting disabled giving players the chance to bail.

No damn dolphin diving either..... Thank fuck.

Dakota47

RbBrdMan said:
Has anyone else pre-ordered from Origin yet?

I went ahead and pre-ordered last night. However, there is not any feedback within origin that indicates I purchased the game. I did get a confirmation email but I expected that there would be a tile or something in the "My Games" section. I guess maybe the tile will not be visible until closer to release.

I just want to make sure that nothing went weird with my purchase, this is my first time buying something off Origin. So is this normal?

I had the same thing. You have to refresh the games list in settings. Then the game will show up.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah, it looks nice. It's not the next gen visuals DICE were hyping, though, and as I said it is quite inconsistent. It can look quite ugly just as easily as it looks really nice.

I have no issues with the visuals, it's definitely ahead of the competition.
That's every game though. I think it's going to be in the same conversation as Crysis, especially after they add Ultra settings.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Dakota47 said:
I had the same thing. You have to refresh the games list in settings. Then the game will show up.

Good deal. That worked I have just been to busy playing the Beta to want to close out of Origin. Once I closed it down and reopened it the Limited Edition was in my list. Thanks.

edit: Hopefully there will be an option to pre-load before release day. Any word on that?

Extremly good/lucky round with Jet plane with no missiles:

aiCKP.jpg

=
Missiles unlocked.

First round ever with missiles:
3000+ points
10-0 plus several other vehicle disable + bailouts
MVP #1
Lots and lots of air related ribbons

Waiting for Battlereport to show see what exactly did I gain.

So goooood!

longdi

Banned
who is getting bored of even caspian border? Find that there is not enough tension to attack or defend a point. every battle moment for a point seems to zip past routine-like. need to have better objectives these days.

Woo-Fu

Banned
For a game with 64 players and as many different vehicle, weapon, and prefab models it supports at one time it looks and runs incredible.

That highest level of detail that people seem to be missing from the marketing videos and the beta is probably only going to be found in the single-player campaign, where DICE can devote more of the platform's resources to scene complexity.

Honestly I don't know how people who have played the game can quibble about the graphics. It is like reading a good novel and then complaining about the paper it was printed on not being quite up to your standards.

Megasoum

Banned
RbBrdMan said:
Good deal. That worked I have just been to busy playing the Beta to want to close out of Origin. Once I closed it down and reopened it the Limited Edition was in my list. Thanks.

edit: Hopefully there will be an option to pre-load before release day. Any word on that?

Yup, they confirmed that we will get pre-load.

BF3 clearly takes after 2142 over BF2 and I think it's better that way. Also I can't really agree with the accusations that it feels like an evolution of BC2 simply on the fact BF3 thankfully ditched those awful awful damage/armor buffs.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I gotta say, the first person jumping animation really adds a lot to the game. I just had a tank chase me through almost every part of the gas station area, and seeing my legs swing out in front of me as I jumped over fences or dove into garbage cans made it feel like some kind of epic boss battle.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Ysiadmihi said:
I gotta say, the first person jumping animation really adds a lot to the game. I just had a tank chase me through almost every part of the gas station area, and seeing my legs swing out in front of me as I jumped over fences or dove into garbage cans made it feel like some kind of epic boss battle.
It's pretty cool, but the game is horrible at deciding what you need to jump over. There's a fence that when knifed makes a small hole that you need to jump through, but it just bounces you off, and then some stairs require you to jump over :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
I dont like that we can't spawn on a vehicle if its full. In other words, let me spawn behind the vehicle. If my squad is riding around in a tank or jeep, and its full then I am resigned to spawning back at base.

Top Bottom