• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

J-Rock

Banned
Manager said:
The scores for Rush objectives are ridiculous btw, I guess this have been discussed before. I only get 100p to disarm a bomb? I freakin' risk my life with 16 enemies going for one site, and I get 100p? I'd earn more if I just camped next to it and shot arriving enemies.

What are the points for arming etc, I forgot.

Can't be said enough. Wish they would adjust that. I see the point farming problem. There has to be a way to make it more worth while though.

Emily Chu

Banned
you know what I want... faster respawn times...

to offset the COD style 1-2 bullets and your dead

can you turn off recon class and revives in some servers ?

heck I would buy one if that were the case...

Manager

J-Rock said:
Can't be said enough. Wish they would adjust that. I see the point farming problem. There has to be a way to make it more worth while though.

I thought about point farming too, but how would it work? You only get points for finishing off the disarm. I suppose the only way to point farm would be to have some friend in the opposing team arming it, then you disarming it. Sounds like a lot of hassle. Looking at Battlelog people seem to average around 200-300p per minute, if they gave you 300-400 for disarming/arming it still wouldn't be worth standing doing that shit.

1000p would be too much, but 400 or something would be ok to me, to stop point farming too.

I don't understand what DICE were thinking. Like, they had one of their meeting, talked together, and agreed that 100p was a good sum? They concentrate on Rush so much, but shit on the people that actually try to play their mode.

Xux

Good to hear they're tweaking the unlock speed for the final release; the points to unlock class specific stuff need to be at least halved. Takes way too long.

kitch9

Banned
lazybones18 said:
Played first game.....and I didn't even know what the hell I was doing lol. 1 kill, 6 deaths, and 1 defuse. Took me a while to know the control functions since I was using the keyboard.

But it felt so good. I think I'll stick with the 360 controller since I'm use to that

If you're on pc you will have little to no chance.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Xux said:
Good to hear they're tweaking the unlock speed for the final release; the points to unlock class specific stuff need to be at least halved. Takes way too long.

What? the times were accelerated for beta is my understanding. They're not going to get quicker at release, they're going to get slower.

They need to be much slower than beta for there to be any point in having them in the first place. If anybody can get them in a few hours you might as well ditch the entire system and start with everything unlocked.

Manager

Xux said:

Hmm, what? Halved? At 6 hours I had unlocked tons of Support things, and my points per minute is very average. Lvl 12 or something, looking at my friends they were even faster.

Tons of people on the servers were lvl 25+ two days into the beta, at that point you have a lot of stuff.

But perhaps it gets very slow at ~25?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Manager said:

Levels don't have anything to do with it. The only thing that slows down at higher levels are the levels themselves. Points towards kits/vehicles remain exactly the same.

desu

Manager said:

Not really, still levels up super fast, especially if play a meat grinder map like Metro. 3000-7000p class points if the map goes on a little longer + ribbon stuff for each game. However much less points on Caspian Border.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
After that damn AMD 11.10 update my system has been locking up on me midmatch, especially on Caspian. I even got a blue screen once...wtf.
Thinking of rolling back drivers now.

Spl1nter

J-Rock said:

Its made worthwhile by wanting to fucking win. What a sad place we live in that people need an incentive to win.

Manager

Spl1nter said:
Its made worthwhile by wanting to fucking win. What a sad place we live in that people need an incentive to win.

But you have no support. Someone arms a site but you don't have anyone backing you up when you're trying to disarm, since so many don't give a fuck about the sites. They play Team Deathmatch instead, only because there's nothing to gain for them to disarm it.

I guess this will change in retail, when those who want conquest/TM will play that instead and Rush people will play Rush.

Woo-Fu said:
Levels don't have anything to do with it. The only thing that slows down at higher levels are the levels themselves. Points towards kits/vehicles remain exactly the same.

desu said:
Not really, still levels up super fast, especially if play a meat grinder map like Metro. 3000-7000p class points if the map goes on a little longer + ribbon stuff for each game. However much less points on Caspian Border.

Alright, thanks. I'll probably play Metro when retail arrives, only to unlock some better weapons.

Demon Ice

Banned
I think the 11.10 Preview 2 drivers made my freezing issue worse. I get one stutter-free round, and then the next one is unplayable, freezing for 10-20 seconds at a time.

Heysoos

I'm sure it's been mentioned many times, but they better fix the fucking flashlight completely blinding me outside in the fucking sun. Freaking ridiculous. The instant-death thing when moving is really annoying, but I believe that's been fixed for the full game so I'm not too worried but it really soured my beta experience pretty bad.

J-Rock

Banned
Spl1nter said:

I agree but that's just the reality of the situation. Hopefully Manager is right and people who want to play TDM or Conquest style won't shit up Rush after retail hits.

Heysoos

J-Rock said:
I agree but that's just the reality of the situation. Hopefully Manager is right and people who want to play TDM or Conquest style won't shit up Rush after retail hits.

Fat chance, it was the same shit in BC2. It's never going to change, people care too much about their KDR.

Al-ibn Kermit

S does anybody know what the story is in this game? I tried looking it up and the only thing I can find is that you are fighting the PLR, which might be a kurdish rebel group fighting in Iran and Iraq?

And there's Russians for some reason. I only ask because it seems they're going for a more realistic, grounded story than like CoD so it'd be nice to know what factions are involved.

Spl1nter

Heysoos said:
Fat chance, it was the same shit in BC2. It's never going to change, people care too much about their KDR.

They only care about their KDR more because there is no relationship between players. If you know the people who you are playing with this changes quickly.

Reason why voip, squad controls, squad/squad leader abilities, and commo rose are important. Helps build a relationship with other players.

Kaako said:
After that damn AMD 11.10 update my system has been locking up on me midmatch, especially on Caspian. I even got a blue screen once...wtf.
Thinking of rolling back drivers now.

A friend of mine had this, try playing on non Punkbuster servers.

Enkidu

Manager said:
I don't understand what DICE were thinking. Like, they had one of their meeting, talked together, and agreed that 100p was a good sum? They concentrate on Rush so much, but shit on the people that actually try to play their mode.
In the latest videos you get 200 points for disarming an mcom, and 250 points for capturing a flag in Conquest so I assume the points values simply weren't balanced yet in the beta.

Tried out Caspian Border. Did better, but still getting the hang of things

And I crashed two jets...which was to be expected. As for the map itself, it's big and it's awesome. Screen kept flashing white a few times (minor hiccups too) and now I tried to quit the match and can't close the beta window for some reason. Still enjoyed myself

Gaming controller works fine, but I don't think I found the right button to perform spotting (I would prefer that the scoreboard wouldn't show up with a quick press; better for holding).

All in all, even though I won't have much time playing the beta like everyone else, I can't wait for the release date to arrive

Makoto

Xux said:
Wow, that sounds even better!
I'm calling it. They're going to have a short-cut pack like BC2 that you can buy to unlock everything.

And I will be there day-one to buy it. Worst unlock system ever. Got to level 42 in the beta with 40+ hours played and I still feel like I haven't even scratched the surface. It feels like a grind and nothing more.

Manager

Dityrink said:
When I jump into a jet I press play on iTunes to play that exact Top Gun song lol.

The songs in BFV were awesome that way, loved jumping into a chopper and let the 'Nam tracks play.

Enkidu said:
In the latest videos you get 200 points for disarming an mcom, and 250 points for capturing a flag in Conquest so I assume the points values simply weren't balanced yet in the beta.

Great, that's a bit better at least.

woober said:

Damn that was good. Would be awesome to see something like that on TV.

Sethos

Banned
So have we heard any news of the Battlerecorder? Man, I'd give my left nut for Halo / Black Ops style theater mode in this game.

MNC

Man, I want the stinger. I suck as engineer. I played recon/assault exclusively and then caspian came along so I played engineer. I kind of really want to preorder the game. :/

Al-ibn Kermit

The Stinger is useless in the demo (at least on consoles which is only Operation metro). I have no idea why they chose a map without any vehicles and only a little destruction to show off the beta.

RS4-

Sethos said:
So have we heard any news of the Battlerecorder? Man, I'd give my left nut for Halo / Black Ops style theater mode in this game.

Halo still has the best replay/record system.

BO is just...lol.

Xux

Kenak said:
It also gives you a chance to get good with a wide variety of guns.

You can do that without unlocks, though. I've been using the starter guns until the service star and then sort of soft retiring them 'til I get the service star for everything else. If everything was available I'd simply pick whichever gun I wanted to get the star for first and then pick a random order to do the rest. For a good majority of people, it's use everything until you unlock the bandwagon gun and then use that until the next nerf/Battlefield game. Without unlocks people would just conform to whatever's popular out of the gate.

vidal said:
I'm calling it. They're going to have a short-cut pack like BC2 that you can buy to unlock everything.

And I will be there day-one to buy it. Worst unlock system ever. Got to level 42 in the beta with 40+ hours played and I still feel like I haven't even scratched the surface. It feels like a grind and nothing more.

Yeah, I'd probably strongly consider it if they offered it again, too.

Salsa

woober said:

man, maybe its just me, but i dont get why so many people fall for the "Gears of war Madworld ad" thing so much.

Just add touching music to anything (even though it doesnt reflect what actually happens in the game at all) and people will be like OH SO GOOD.

This has 0 to do with Battlefield or what i expect from battlefield. Its false marketing, that's not the experience you get. Its a cheap trick that seems to be all the rage now for some reason.

Not saying 99 problems is better though, lol

Kyaw

SalsaShark said:
man, maybe its just me, but i dont get why so many people fall for the "Gears of war Madworld ad" thing so much.

Just add touching music to anything (even though it doesnt reflect what actually happens in the game at all) and people will be like OH SO GOOD.

This has 0 to do with Battlefield or what i expect from battlefield. Its false marketing, that's not the experience you get. Its a cheap trick that seems to be all the rage now for some reason.

They just need to add their own music man!
The epic radio-static style stuff just gets me pumped EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. for Caspian Border trailer.

They don't even try to hide it...

NVrog.jpg

woober

SalsaShark said:

Yeah, it is false advertising, but I can't say I didn't like the Dead Island trailer. I didn't buy Dead Island though cause I knew the game wouldn't be like that. The Gears of War one I didn't like at all. Not sure why.

Top Bottom