• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

jokkir

Black_Stride said:
I cant pick anything out of that video, that just looks like one giant glitch.

Yeah, sorry :\. Had several programs on and when I tried recording with fraps, my game just crapped out.

Look at the top right though and the guy killing people with the knife then the bot then other weapons

ok after an evening sitting inside the AA tank, I've got it sussed.

Comes into its own once you have the AA missile unlock.

Spam the cannon until vehicle disabled then pop a missile.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
If the other maps in the final game run as good as Caspian Border I might not even bother upgrading my GTX260. I'm very surprised at how well an older card is running this game.

Apath

Complistic said:
Yeah I'm pretty sure ultra is the only setting that isn't working.
Oh, so I'm not completely stupid in noticing no difference between high and ultra? This game is going to look incredible if ultra is currently locked :eek:

Kyaw

MrPing1000 said:
ok after an evening sitting inside the AA tank, I've got it sussed.

Comes into its own once you have the AA missile unlock.

Spam the cannon until vehicle disabled then pop a missile.

:(

People like you make my life just that much harder...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I unlocked the mav, shame it does nothing in the beta. At least i could fly it around and spot, should be good in the retail version.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mr Sandman said:
What else is it supposed to do? Pretty sure it's just a reconnaissance tool for spotting and surveying an area. Or did I miss something?

It's meant to shoot things, right?

It seemed to have an ammo section saying to reload but i couldn't do anything.

Maybe it doesn't shoot anything? that would suck :/

Xux

FStop7 said:
One of the problems is that many of the unlocks are kill based. Yet Battlefield has objective based multi. So you get people who will go out and disregard objectives because they're trying to rack up kills in order to unlock stuff. I'm actually guilty of this because I've been trying to get the UMP, SCAR, and other stuff unlocked so I can do better at actually playing for the objectives. IMO the unlock system would work better if it were based on succeeding at objectives.

Kills are a big part of Battlefield's objective modes, though (even if half the time it's more important to worry about not dieing in the rush modes).

It'd be nice if they took a page out of CoD's book and rewarded objective play and taking out vehicles as heavily as getting kills, though.

GenericUser

1 question regarding the time after the beta.

they said you will keep your character, but your stats will be reset. will your unlocks be reset too or will you keep them?

Izayoi

Banned
It's so easy to get knife kills in Conquest 64.

Knifing fools left and right, then suddenly, disconnected.

;_;

Also lol Legato, umad?

snack

nLOhh.gif

I'm probably so late. I apologize, but it gets me. Every single time! haha

demolitio

Great, the latest AMD drivers made my framerate drop by 10 from last night. At least I was managing 30 FPS with my room being 90 degrees last night. :p

The homing missiles on the jets are a little interesting to say the least. By the time you're close enough and have tone, you could have disabled the jet with your cannon...

Edit: Anyone know of a good, CHEAP case that has decent airflow? I need to stop the inferno and that might help.

Xux

Vincent Alexander said:
Time for some all-around feedback: what are people's favorite classes and weapons? I'm not getting a good vibe going with anything in particular yet.

Can't say I've found a favorite, either. Medic stuff/smoke, rockets, and the Radio Beacon are all really useful and I love me some LMGs and semi-auto-only rifles. If anything, I like the unique "flavor" of the class specific weapons over the all-class stuff...even if I use the same winning combo of RDS+Foregrip+Extended Mag/Laser Sight for everything.

RPK's pretty neat once I got the Holo/Kobra and grip for it. MK11's pretty cool, too. Everything else is also pretty fun save for my limited runs with the SCAR and M1014.

demolitio said:
Great, the latest AMD drivers made my framerate drop by 10 from last night. At least I was managing 30 FPS with my room being 90 degrees last night. :p

The homing missiles on the jets are a little interesting to say the least. By the time you're close enough and have tone, you could have disabled the jet with your cannon...

Edit: Anyone know of a good, CHEAP case that has decent airflow? I need to stop the inferno and that might help.

Yeah, I seemed to notice that 11.9 gave me worse performance also... what a pain in the absolute behind!!

Does anyone know that when they say that the Beta ends on the 10th does that INCLUDE the 10th or at the end of the 9th?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow, tonight was the glitchiest I've ever seen the PS3 version. Pretty much no area of the ground in the first part of Metro was solid and everyone was falling down way deeper than I thought you could go. My stats also got totally reset.

Enkidu

SapientWolf said:
What kind of hoops do you have to jump through to fly the air vehicles with a 360 controller? M/KB isn't working out for me.
No hoops for me, I just plugged in the 360 controller and it was working.

Duxxy3

Tried this out and i still don't like multiplayer first person shooters, or at least this generations. Everything is unbalanced by design and that takes out all of the fun for me.

Back to single player games.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Enkidu said:
No hoops for me, I just plugged in the 360 controller and it was working.
Weird. Don't really feel like troubleshooting it when the beta is ending so soon. Just gonna hope they get joysticks working at launch.

Longshot

Really not liking the players/attitude most people have while playing this game, everyone either snipes (which is damn annoying with 1 hit kills), stays prone in a bush or tries to rack up as many kills as possible while disregarding the objectives.

The map (I mean minimap) is pathetic too, far too blue and I can't see anything. It should be exactly like BF 2, right now it's basically useless. Something needs to be done to encourage more teamwork and structure.

Bloody annoying.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sigma Storm said:
Really not liking the players/attitude most people have while playing this game, everyone either snipes (which is damn annoying with 1 hit kills), stays prone in a bush or tries to rack up as many kills as possible while disregarding the objectives.

The map (I mean minimap) is pathetic too, far too blue and I can't see anything. It should be exactly like BF 2, right now it's basically useless. Something needs to be done to encourage more teamwork and structure.

Bloody annoying.
A lot of that attitude is cause by the annoying 1 hit kills. I think there will be more movement once the damage is more reasonable.

It_Hurts

Banned
Duxxy3 said:
Tried this out and i still don't like multiplayer first person shooters, or at least this generations. Everything is unbalanced by design and that takes out all of the fun for me.

Back to single player games.

I understand you might not like MP FPS games and that is ok but call everything unbalanced just shows that you don't have a clue. sorry

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sigma Storm said:

Bloody annoying.
In the videos of the two new MP maps the minimap looks a lot clearer. The one hit kills will also be fixed so that should alleviate that.

JWong

Banned
Played Caspian for the first time.

sogood.gif

Is there a way to access a bigger map? I can see all the waypoints, but it's too hard to tell the distance from them. I'll get use to it eventually, but would be nice to have an ingame map if I can toggle it.

Izayoi

Banned
SapientWolf said:
What kind of hoops do you have to jump through to fly the air vehicles with a 360 controller? M/KB isn't working out for me.
No hoops. Plug in 360 controller, start beta, use controller.

Restart and then try, maybe?

Duxxy3

It_Hurts said:
I understand you might not like MP FPS games and that is ok but call everything unbalanced just shows that you don't have a clue. sorry

There are levels for individual players...

right there the game is unbalanced, by design.

edit: I'm not bashing BF3 by itself. I think most current multiplayer games are just as unbalanced.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Izayoi said:
No hoops. Plug in 360 controller, start beta, use controller.

Restart and then try, maybe?
I'll try that. Maybe my flightstick was interfering, because I don't think BF3 supports them right now.

Herla

JWong said:
Played Caspian for the first time.

sogood.gif

Is there a way to access a bigger map? I can see all the waypoints, but it's too hard to tell the distance from them. I'll get use to it eventually, but would be nice to have an ingame map if I can toggle it.

If you press "M" you open a slightly bigger map, but it's still useless and confusing as hell. I don't know why they did this, BF2 map was perfect...

Salsa

uh.. Caspian Border looks like shit on HIGH, at least stuff at a distance :( disappointed since Ultra gives me some framerate dips and Metro still looked great on High..

are these supposed to be final graphics?

Longshot

Curious here.

Anybody here play BF 2 back in the day?

Thoughts on BF 3?

I've heard lots of people are disappointed. I played BF 2 quite a bit and I'm having heaps of fun.

Herla said:
If you press "M" you open a slightly bigger map, but it's still useless and confusing as hell. I don't know why they did this, BF2 map was perfect...
You can also press "N" to change the zoom on the big map and mini-map but sadly, you can't zoom out enough to see the entire map.

_woLf

Sigma Storm said:
Curious here.

Thoughts on BF 3?

I've heard lots of people are disappointed. I played BF 2 quite a bit and I'm having heaps of fun.

It just so far doesn't feel the same as BF2 did. I'm glad the jets are a *little* better than they were in BF2 in that if you let go of the accelerate button for more than a second you don't just drop like a corpse, but the gameplay doesn't feel as fun. Everyone camps for jets more than they did in BF2 (although people did on that game too, and it could be just beta symptom) and it doesn't run as well, obviously.

I'm hoping Gulf of Oman is ported to BF3. That was a great map that wasn't named Karkand.

Nabs

_woLf said:
It just so far doesn't feel the same as BF2 did. I'm glad the jets are a *little* better than they were in BF2 in that if you let go of the accelerate button for more than a second you don't just drop like a corpse, but the gameplay doesn't feel as fun. Everyone camps for jets more than they did in BF2 (although people did on that game too, and it could be just beta symptom) and it doesn't run as well, obviously.

I'm hoping Gulf of Oman is ported to BF3. That was a great map that wasn't named Karkand.

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/cfs..._5F00_Gulf_5F00_of_5F00_Oman_5F00_Concept.jpg

Longshot

Mmm.

People are saying it feels more like BFBC 2, perhaps because it's based off an upgraded game engine?

[EDIT: I'm hoping we can climb/access those buildings in the background. Multiple levels of fire fights is amazing, like that one map in BC 2.]

Radec

Anyone having trouble joining a game?

After the load screen, mine is stuck on with just the map on the screen. :/

PS3 version btw.

Herla

Sigma Storm said:
Curious here.

Thoughts on BF 3?

I thought the Alpha was a complete mess.
The Beta version of Metro is much better, but still Bad Company level.
Caspian Border is incredibly fun, it feels way more like BF2. And to think they haven't implemented the destruction properly yet...well, that'll be BF3.

Top Bottom