• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sigma Storm said:
Curious here.

Anybody here play BF 2 back in the day?

Thoughts on BF 3?

I've heard lots of people are disappointed. I played BF 2 quite a bit and I'm having heaps of fun.
I played about 145 hours of BF2 and some of the old feelings are coming back. I think the gunplay will be fine once they decrease the damage. I also think there should be an option to spawn in any available vehicle, because walking is a pain on large maps. But it is very much the successor to BF2, for better or worse. Same kind of highs, same kind of lows. I think it's really going to shine in the urban maps.

I think they should make the jet only available in the respawn screen to people that die in combat. Jet camping is one BF2 "feature" I wouldn't miss.

Nelo Ice

Banned
SapientWolf said:
I played about 145 hours of BF2 and some of the old feelings are coming back. I think the gunplay will be fine once they decrease the damage. I also think there should be an option to spawn in any available vehicle, because walking is a pain on large maps. But it is very much the successor to BF2, for better or worse. Same kind of highs, same kind of lows. I think it's really going to shine in the urban maps.

I think they should make the jet only available in the respawn screen to people that die in combat. Jet camping is one BF2 "feature" I wouldn't miss.

played a game earlier where one guy in my squad literally wasted the whole game sitting at the jet spawn and in chat he just kept complaining about not getting it.

Nelo Ice said:
played a game earlier where one guy in my squad literally wasted the whole game sitting at the jet spawn and in chat he just kept complaining about not getting it.

snoop+facepalm.png

Nelo Ice said:
yeah shit was annoying as hell. everytime i died there he was just waiting for the jet to come back while the rest of the team was actually trying to go for the objectives.

He's the type of player to wait tirelessly for the jet, and as soon as he gets in the air, he gets shot down.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I have over 30 minutes play time in jets and I'm 7.5% towards the Stealth unlock. Shit's like impossible to get points in. :(

Can anyone confirm that destroying/disabling vehicles is still a bit buggy? I often hit a tank or plane and see it explode without getting any notification. Even if someone else gets the last shot, I often don't even get support points.

mr_nothin

Banned
Omg....I just joined a caspian rush server and got 1 kill + 1 plant and got millions of points within a few seconds and now I have gold eagle + 100 on it

:(
I hope I dont get banned. I quit right after I noticed

daviyoung

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
Can anyone confirm that destroying/disabling vehicles is still a bit buggy? I often hit a tank or plane and see it explode without getting any notification. Even if someone else gets the last shot, I often don't even get support points.

You don't get any points if the occupants bail out before the vehicle's destroyed.

Enkidu

daviyoung said:
You don't get any points if the occupants bail out before the vehicle's destroyed.
I don't think that's necessarily true, I've gotten points for "destroyed vehicle" without getting any actual kills so there is probably a timer or something to determine if it still counts.

Longshot

daviyoung said:
I hate bailing out, I love staying in my jet until it explodes, gives me a little control to do a kamikaze run.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Whats the point of jets in this game... all the jets in the sky do is dog fight each other

daviyoung said:

I literally see a tank driving over 2 of my mines it practically grinds to a halt and I get absolutely nothing. No way the driver jumped out. Even so, like has been said before even without the driver, it is possible to get points for it.

Another situation. A jeep driver over my mines. Two occupants probably bail out just before hitting them. Jeep gets disabled (I get the points) but no kills. The two come away scot free.

Similar situations using AT weapons and tanks result in the same inconsistent behaviour.

mr_nothin

Banned
Kentpaul said:
Whats the point of jets in this game... all the jets in the sky do is dog fight each other
Isnt there a target painter in the game? I'm guessing there will be a lot of coordination between infantry and jets.

demolitio

After figuring out the flight ceiling and what height to avoid AA, I became quite the beast in the jet. With only 6 kills, I was still in first place and didn't die once. Another player had my back and I had his so we could help each other out when we were in trouble and we only went low to the ground to hunt their jets and then went right back up to above the tower and just waited for something to be spotted to do it all over again. The important thing is to keep your cruising to a very high altitude and no one can touch you.

I haven't unlocked any of the A/G stuff yet but should be the next unlock after I finish my current one and then I'll see how useful it is. Right now, the jets are so ridiculously weak against ground targets that it's pointless to risk being shot down over. It took two full runs to get this one infantry with hit markers being shown nonstop on both runs. There's absolutely no splash damage at all and it doesn't even hurt them that much even if you're right on them.

I understand people bitching about not wanting jets to be overpowered, but they have to have at least some presence on the map to help the ground forces without needing the last damn unlock. The ground attack jets might help out a little bit, but even these standard jets should be capable of unleashing a little hell on infantry. There's no point to jets except for dogfighting and taking out helos which isn't really needed since AA takes care of them anyway. Once air superiority is achieved, you should be able to at least be able to take out infantry on a strafing run.

Kentpaul said:

I would assume that a jet would be free to rain down hell on the opposing team if there aren't any opposing jets to keep it busy.

mr_nothin said:
Omg....I just joined a caspian rush server and got 1 kill + 1 plant and got millions of points within a few seconds and now I have gold eagle + 100 on it

:(
I hope I dont get banned. I quit right after I noticed

g3SqA.jpg

Binabik15

PjotrStroganov said:
I literally see a tank driving over 2 of my mines it practically grinds to a halt and I get absolutely nothing. No way the driver jumped out. Even so, like has been said before even without the driver, it is possible to get points for it.

Another situation. A jeep driver over my mines. Two occupants probably bail out just before hitting them. Jeep gets disabled (I get the points) but no kills. The two come away scot free.

Similar situations using AT weapons and tanks result in the same inconsistent behaviour.

In BC2 there was at least "vehicle damaged" to get points. Yeah, I have destroyed a couple of planes, a chopper or two and a tank and a jeep and I have gotten 2 kills out of it. It´s ridiculous. Shooting an unaimed rocket down a corridor in Mero gives you more engineer points and kills most of the time.

Right now vehicle hunting is not fun for me, which is the only thing I like about Conquest.

Kyaw

Just got on the Caspian Rush server and tried out the Frogfoot Jet. :)
The main autocannon is MUCH more powerful against ground targets. It takes the same amount of time to kill a chopper with normal Jet guns to kill a main battle tanks.

It's much more heavier to handle too. You can definitely feel it.
I can still use the air to air heatseeking missiles though.

f0rk

Binabik15 said:
In BC2 there was at least "vehicle damaged" to get points. Yeah, I have destroyed a couple of planes, a chopper or two and a tank and a jeep and I have gotten 2 kills out of it. It´s ridiculous. Shooting an unaimed rocket down a corridor in Mero gives you more engineer points and kills most of the time.

Right now vehicle hunting is not fun for me, which is the only thing I like about Conquest.

Don't agree at all, I feel you get rewarded quite a bit for going after vehicles. I like the balance with tanks vs infantry, a good driver and gunner can move into a point and dominate but at the same time engineers get good feedback on their hits and can take it down. I haven't tried the mines though.

SalsaShark said:
uh.. Caspian Border looks like shit on HIGH, at least stuff at a distance :( disappointed since Ultra gives me some framerate dips and Metro still looked great on High..

are these supposed to be final graphics?

doesn't look like shit to me; playing on Ultra, 1680x1050, everything maxed out, smooth as silk. Maybe just a little foggy

nAMN6.jpg

Woo-Fu

Banned
The problem with points and vehicle kills, particularly air vehicles is the stupid disable system. They need to change that system around quite a bit OR give you points for anything that happens to the vehicle and crew after you've disabled it.

MrKnives said:
I disagreed with you that only one side having Jets would be too much. Not with that guy.

I never said one side having jets would be too much... He was asking what the point of them was, since all they do is fight each other. I was simply implying that they are fighting for the right to fuck shit up from above, that is their point.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Binabik15 said:

Wasn't it disclosed that scoring, etc. were also one of the beta niggles that are fixed for the final version? I seem to remember reading about it somewhere.

In any case, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Doubt they're going to take out BC2's vehicle damaging scoring system. I've already seen footage of people getting points for contributing to vehicle kills and whatnot.

Sethos

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
doesn't look like shit to me; playing on Ultra, 1680x1050, everything maxed out, smooth as silk. Maybe just a little foggy

http://i.imgur.com/nAMN6.jpg

A skybox, some 2D smoke, some pretty bland fire with a two shade grey smoke and then miles of flat undetailed ground and grass that cuts off 15 meters in front of you? Let's not kid ourselves here, it doesn't look that good. Lots going on in the scene yes but graphically it's not that impressive.

Yeah on HIGH the textures in the background are lower rez, and it's very noticable when you use scopes. Sucks because my PC can't handle ULTRA without stuttering all over the place.

Anasui Kishibe said:

http://i.imgur.co[IMG][/QUOTE]
Caspian looks much nicer than Metro but it's still not an overly great looking game. It's very inconsistent, I think.

Sethos said:
A skybox, some 2D smoke, some pretty bland fire with a two shade grey smoke and then miles of flat undetailed ground and grass that cuts off 15 meters in front of you? Let's not kid ourselves here, it doesn't look that good. Lots going on in the scene yes but graphically it's not that impressive.

not arguing here but I'm not disappointed at Caspian's graphical prowess. I believe that maps like Oman and Karkand will be the main tests when it comes to draw distance and the such

Longshot

MikeTyson said:
Seems a lot of the Battlefield(2) vets. are pissed; while the majority of Bad Company 2 players seem to be on the upside.
I love it and all but it doesn't have that true Battlefield feel.

JoeMartin

It would appear not, despite the lack of NOT IN BETA tag.

Neither is the SG553, which I currently have enough engineer points for as well. ((((

MrKnives

Sethos said:

But I thought it was widely known that Beta doesn't have all the graphics options turned on?

"You were disconnected from the login server"

"You were disconnected from the login server"

"YOU WERE DISCONNECTED FROM THE LOGIN SERVER"

Aaaaargh :( constantly, constantly, constantly.

Sethos

Banned
MrKnives said:
But I thought it was widely known that Beta doesn't have all the graphics options turned on?

Let's not keep playing that harp. Yes, there is stuff missing from the Beta but there's not stuff missing that would make the game go from bland to OMGGLORIOUSMASTERPIECEWUT. Multiplayer will look like that in retail as well. It's the Single Player where we've seen all the crazy good graphics.

.nimrod

Man, jets were way more fun when people, myself included, didn't have the HSMs unlocked.
Now it's just constant beeping noises. Sometimes the flares won't even work and rockets still hit you no matter what kind of crazy evading maneuvers you're doing.

leng jai

Sethos said:
Let's not keep playing that harp. Yes, there is stuff missing from the Beta but there's not stuff missing that would make the game go from bland to OMGGLORIOUSMASTERPIECEWUT. Multiplayer will look like that in retail as well. It's the Single Player where we've seen all the crazy good graphics.

Caspian Border looks pretty amazing in some areas at 1080p ultra settings. The area in between hilltop and forest is some of the best graphics I've ever seen.

MikeTyson said:
Seems a lot of the Battlefield(2) vets. are pissed; while the majority of Bad Company 2 players seem to be on the upside.
Some of us belong to both of those categories and enjoyed both of those games ;)

Personally BFBC2 has been the Battlefield game I've enjoyed the most (out of BF1942, BF2, BFBC1, BF1943 and BFBC2 since I never played BFV or BF2142 or MC). It'll be interesting to see where BF3 falls but I don't want to judge it off the Beta because it's clearly not an accurate indication of what the retail release will be like.

Top Bottom