• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Binabik15 said:
Judging from BC2, DICE is more than willing to take your money for excactly that ;)

Just from playing the beta, seeing how at a disadvantage people who did not fully unlocked tanks, chopper and jets are... I can see myself buying those unlocks whenever they are available.

hiverbon

Neo Member
Kyaw said:
Neither do i. I just use the external view for situation awareness.

I really hope there is a way to map the views with a combination of buttons.

Like Right trigger + right stick for free view.

Some good helicopter and jet videos on the last page!

Yup, brakes + turn or brakes + pull up. Also slow right down for dogfights for better aiming.

What's brakes and freelook on a 360 controller? Am flying with that on PC and couldn't seem to work it out or find any keymappings in the game or online.

Kyaw

hiverbon said:
What's brakes and freelook on a 360 controller? Am flying with that on PC and couldn't seem to work it out or find any keymappings in the game or online.

I don't know about freelook on the 360 controller but Left Trigger is brakes and Right trigger is Accelerator [?] and Afterburner.

Left Shoulder button is the cannon and Right shoulder is Flares/other equipped gadgets.

B is Exit/Enter vehicle.

Left stick, left and right is for Yaw control.
Right stick, left and right is for Roll control and up and down is for Pitch control.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
I wish I could gotten a bit more of playtime with the PDW, UMP is overpowered? PDW is even more IMO. lol

They will put over 250 years of work in 16 days, don't worry.

248 on campaign and co-op, 1.9 on battlelog, .1 on mp. :p

hiverbon

Neo Member
Kyaw said:
I don't know about freelook on the 360 controller but Left Trigger is brakes and Right trigger is Accelerator [?] and Afterburner.

Left Shoulder button is the cannon and Right shoulder is Flares/other equipped gadgets.

B is Exit/Enter vehicle.

Cool thanks, found out B was exit vehicle to my detriment :(

Vehicle spots should take as long as they did in the beta. It's virtually impossible ambush in a tank because of that treacherous icon.
Kyaw said:
Neither do i. I just use the external view for situation awareness.

I really hope there is a way to map the views with a combination of buttons.

Like Right trigger + right stick for free view.

Some good helicopter and jet videos on the last page!

Yup, brakes + turn or brakes + pull up. Also slow right down for dogfights for better aiming.

I think I'll try the AC way. Bumpers for rudder and right stick for cam. And then I'll probably suck with it and change it all back.:p

Kyaw

PjotrStroganov said:
Vehicle spots should take as long as they did in the beta. It's virtually impossible ambush in a tank because of that treacherous icon.

I think I'll try the AC way. Bumpers for rudder and right stick for cam. And then I'll probably suck with it and change it all back.:p

The best way to fly would be with a joystick! Where everything is ergonomically designed to suit all the controls... T_T

The M.O.B said:
Yay for random glitch that removed my HUD, had to restart. I'm still amazed this game looks great still after playing the same map for 20 hrs, I feel like there should be a hardcore mode that removes everyones HUD.

bf32011-10-0918-51-05-3k9q.png

this is a good looking game, cant believe some people think otherwise. I noticed that DICE kept the shadow casting particle which makes everything cast a shadow, even smoke. It is a performance hog though.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
this is a good looking game, cant believe some people think otherwise. I noticed that DICE kept the shadow casting particle which makes everything cast a shadow, even smoke. It is a performance hog though.

It does look fantastic some places but it also looks average to bad in other. This for example is with everything on highest setting, everything just looks really bad from a distance. Dithering and none detailed trees everywhere, weird aliasing fences with really weird and empty looking fields around it.

bf32011-10-0815-10-46-lujz.jpg

I enjoyed the beta, but do feel that the gunplay is lacking. The weapon feedback is fine, thats not the issue. The issue is how quickly you die, how much enemies blend into the environment, how big the draw distances are in some areas. Basically, if you DON'T camp and want to run around and shoot people, you're out of luck if you aren't really good. Personally, I think enemies should show up on the mini map when they fire, or have some better way of indicating them. If prone didn't exist it may be a different story, but well, it does.

I know its not supposed to be a run and gun like COD, but games should be about fun, and getting constantly sniped from a 1000 feet away aint that fun unless you're the predator. And we know the game wouldn't be fun if everyone chose recon and just layed there the whole game.

Woo-Fu

Banned
AllIsOneIsNone said:
Basically, if you DON'T camp and want to run around and shoot people, you're out of luck if you aren't really good.

If you want to run around and shoot people and you aren't really good you should be out of luck.

Solution: run around with your squad and shoot people, so you have more eyes to spot enemies and more firepower to handle any situation you run into. Maybe you get gunned down because you're not quick draw mcgraw, but maybe you get revived by a squadmate after seeing the kill/suppression/spot assist points scroll up the screen. On top of that one of your squadmates just got points for a squad revive. Not only do you do better working with your squad, the game rewards you for it.

I don't think I got "sniped from a 1000ft away" even once in the beta. Again, if you were in a squad he'd be spotted after the first snipe, your squad would bag him and revive you. If I was as worried about it as you, though, I'd spend a lot of my time in a snipe-proof vehicle. ;)

I do think they need to tone down the damage a bit and they probably will. Constantly getting killed by somebody you can't even see with no time whatsoever to react, much less take cover and fight back does get pretty old, particularly when most of the time when you actually do take cover you die a second later because of the bullshit netcode or because what you thought was hard cover was anything but.

Woo-Fu

Banned
soulassssns said:
I hope DICE/EA does something about those hackers

Most of that goes away at release when they're risking their real accounts. In open beta if you lose an account you just make another one. When you can go 250/1 in a round it doesn't take long on that new account to get whatever weapons you prefer to shoot while hacked.

Woo-Fu said:
I do think they need to tone down the damage a bit and they probably will. Constantly getting killed by somebody you can't even see with no time whatsoever to react, much less take cover and fight back does get pretty old, particularly when most of the time when you actually do take cover you die a second later because of the bullshit netcode or because what you thought was hard cover was anything but.

This. I know a lot of people are quite happy with the damage model, but I miss the drawn out fights of BC2. I think only a slight health bump though . . . Like 15%.

kitch9

Banned
SirButterstick said:
What's the difference between "antialias deferred" and "postprocess antialiasing"?

Deffered is traditional MSAA with a high performance penalty and doesn't apply to leaves or stuff. Post is FXAA, which is fast and applies aa to the whole image with the cost of a tiny little bit of blurring.

I stick with post, it looks good and hardly affects FPS.

Woo-Fu said:
If you want to run around and shoot people and you aren't really good you should be out of luck.

Solution: run around with your squad and shoot people, so you have more eyes to spot enemies and more firepower to handle any situation you run into. Maybe you get gunned down because you're not quick draw mcgraw, but maybe you get revived by a squadmate after seeing the kill/suppression/spot assist points scroll up the screen. On top of that one of your squadmates just got points for a squad revive. Not only do you do better working with your squad, the game rewards you for it.

I don't think I got "sniped from a 1000ft away" even once in the beta. Again, if you were in a squad he'd be spotted after the first snipe, your squad would bag him and revive you. If I was as worried about it as you, though, I'd spend a lot of my time in a snipe-proof vehicle. ;)

The thing is, I've had a lot of experience with shooters, and still get owned here. I know its because I don't know the battlefield play-style, but what I'm saying is I think the play-style could use a little change; its totally a matter of opinion. I just like moving around a lot, and when I move in this game I'm dead before I know what hit me. Maybe damage reduction/health improvement would be enough.

I was exaggerating with 1000 ft...I just meant far away ;P. But like I said, I enjoyed the beta; I'm sure when I get used to everything I'll like it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
AllIsOneIsNone said:
I just like moving around a lot, and when I move in this game I'm dead before I know what hit me. Maybe damage reduction/health improvement would be enough.

There is a bug in the beta where running people often take more damage than they should.

Spookie

People want a bump in health? Do what you like to consoles but leave it alone on PC. I don't want to be emptying clips in to people to kill them again!

Woo-Fu

Banned
Spookie said:
People want a bump in health? Do what you like to consoles but leave it alone on PC. I don't want to be emptying clips in to people to kill them again!

Seems to me there is room for a happy medium between both extremes.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
PjotrStroganov said:
Flying a plane isn't that hard. It's about on par with flying planes in Ace Combat. The fact that the Y axis was configured upside down, really screwed with my attempts to get a real hang of it. And I missed a free moving cockpit camera. I guess it's the external cam for peripheral vision then.
It's hard with a m/kb. How does the throttle work on the 360 pad, anyway? Is it analog on the right trigger like a racing game or do you have to feather it?

Spookie said:

Ha, as it is you could kill 10 people with one clip if you're accurate enough. I think a couple more shots to kill someone would make things much better (except for the head, keep that the same).

Manager

BoobPhysics101 said:
It's 6 years old... what do you expect?

System requirements
1.7 GHz AMD Athlon XP, Sempron, Intel Pentium 4 or Celeron D CPU
512 MB RAM
2.3 GB hard disk space
DirectX compatible 128 MB graphics card Radeon 8500 or GeForce FX 5700

I haven't played it lately though, can't comment on gameplay. I read the hit detection apparently is regarded horrible now. The fact that DICE released a patch 4 years after the release should be applauded though.

SapientWolf said:
It's hard with a m/kb. How does the throttle work on the 360 pad, anyway? Is it analog on the right trigger like a racing game or do you have to feather it?

Yup. And brake with left. Fire and altfire on bumpers. Right stick controls rudder and left pitch and roll. Pitch was inverted. You could fix it in a cfg file but that also inverted mouse aim in the tank.

FStop7

Banned
So, my thoughts on the beta.

I put something like 15 hours into it so obviously I must have liked something about it.

Metro/Rush was fun until Caspian was opened up, then suddenly I realized just how un-fun Metro/Rush really was. I could possibly see Metro being a little more fun as a conquest map. Maybe.

Caspian Border is another story. The map is infinite fun. I guess the only negative is that in its current state that map/game type combo is heavily slanted toward engineers. If you have AT mines unlocked and carry stingers, plus any of the overpowered PDWs... you're a one man wrecking machine.

Amagon

The_Squirrel_Menace said:
My favorite past time in BF2. Love it.

Just bugs me that the C4 is locked to the support class. I thought the class's loadouts in BF BC 2 were good.

And I thought my friend and I were the only ones that do this in BF2. Many lols and bans were had but those were some of the best battlefield moments for us. Lol at the shooting the gun in the sky after the explosion. I did that too, lol!!!

StoppedInTracks said:
Is it just me or did BF2 age badly?

My Battlefield 2 always looked like TOTAL crap, because anybody truely playing competitvely or trying to dominate knows/knew..You turned off ALL shadows and basically made the game look as simple as you could.

No reason to miss an enemy hiding or not see them clearly due to them hiding in the shadows or blending in with the environment at all. With all shadows and any other bell and whistle reduced Enemys stood out incredibly better.

georgc

I think that all the health problems will go away if they switch hit detection from client to server. Nothing it more annoying than getting one hit killed with a m9 after I put 3 m4 rounds to his face and he's at 100% health.

kitch9

Banned
Pkm said:
My Battlefield 2 always looked like TOTAL crap, because anybody truely playing competitvely or trying to dominate knows/knew..You turned off ALL shadows and basically made the game look as simple as you could.

No reason to miss an enemy hiding or not see them clearly due to them hiding in the shadows or blending in with the environment at all. With all shadows and any other bell and whistle reduced Enemys stood out incredibly better.

You're not one of those who spammed the jump and prone buttons as soon as you got the slightest hint of seeing an enemy too are you?

Woo-Fu

Banned
georgc said:
I think that all the health problems will go away if they switch hit detection from client to server. Nothing it more annoying than getting one hit killed with a m9 after I put 3 m4 rounds to his face and he's at 100% health.

I think that would clear up most of it, I also don't think there is a chance in hell of it happening at this stage of the game.

Top Bottom