• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

kitch9 said:
You're not one of those who spammed the jump and prone buttons as soon as you got the slightest hint of seeing an enemy too are you?

I will admit to juming then proning in the air, but never one of those pains in the asses who had it macro'd.
They would jump-prone-jump-prone instead of walking. You would see an army of medics doing it down the street lol

I played alot, but never expolited the nade spam or dolphin diving.

See- http://bf2s.com/player/48346954/

I was just mediocre, but an all around player I think. I mean I did whore up Karkand (1380hours played...630 hours just playing Karkand lol)
But as you can see, everyone knew Medic was easy class and I only put 112 hours into it while I put triple as much into Spec. Forces and double into Support.
I was actually in the top 100 in the world for for support the first 2 years of the game, LOVED my PKM =D

I might be wrong looking at my stats..not sure if I played 1380 hours total. It says I played
1336 hours as USMC
1041 hours as MEC
303 hours as PLA
and then some assorted hours in other armys through expansions...
HOLY SHIT I PLAYED ALOT OF BF2 lol

Emily Chu

Banned
I miss it already : (

05rFY.gif

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think people should lose the orange triangle spot indicators on their HUD while being suppressed, and get them back when they recover. Maybe covering fire would actually work then.

There should also be a spot decay time so you don't light up like a Christmas tree until your next respawn.

Played it Saturday at a friend house for few hours he has a nice rig, Graphics was great...my one issue..

I could barely recognize the enemy, this has always been my one hatred of war games, he doesn't have a name tag above his name FIREEEEEEEEEE....lol.

I really miss Caspian. I hope the other Large Conquest maps are as good as Caspian. Never had as much fun with Bad Company 2 as I have had with one weekend of Caspian.

Pkm said:
My Battlefield 2 always looked like TOTAL crap, because anybody truely playing competitvely or trying to dominate knows/knew..You turned off ALL shadows and basically made the game look as simple as you could.

No reason to miss an enemy hiding or not see them clearly due to them hiding in the shadows or blending in with the environment at all. With all shadows and any other bell and whistle reduced Enemys stood out incredibly better.
You definitely had an advantage by turning everything down, didn't seem necessary for public play though. Most people play to have fun anyway why play a game that looks like it's five years old?

Anyway there are mods that still look reasonably up to par in terms of models and textures compared to todays games. The Forgotten Hope 2 mod for instance does not look any worse than Red Orchestra that has just been released. They have done some amazing things on that aging refractor 2 engine.

Gen.Grievous said:
You definitely had an advantage by turning everything down, didn't seem necessary for public play though. Most people play to have fun anyway why play a game that looks like it's five years old?

I agree, but its all I played for almost 3 years. I didnt own a console and didnt purchase ANY games except BF expansion packs. So being that it was all I played but was never one of the guys who had the money to buy the exspensive KB/Mouse with sensitivity on the fly or macro's I had to have some advantage..and like I said, I wasnt a medic whore so I didnt have the luxury of self-insta-heals or the best guns in the game.
And with any games or gaming in general I never care about graphics, theyve always been at the bottom of my list of what makes a game make or break for me.

It was and will always be my favorite game of all time.

Makoto

I can't say I miss the beta. That more-damage-than-intended-while-running bug mixed with the hit registration was a recipe for rage. I don't want to play Operation Metro ever again.

As for Caspian Border, hopefully Digital Illusions has some better maps cooked for Conquest 64 and that they don't fall into the categories of either cereal-bowl (like Caspian Border, as it's been called in this thread) and super linear like some conquest maps in BC2.

rdrr gnr

I'm a masochist. Even with the insta-kill laggy rage, I still miss the beta. I'm looking forward to their final list of changes for day 1, weapon balance in particular. Also, I'd like to know the details of the server browser on consoles, but I guess that won't happen until release.

SapientWolf said:
Trolling Metro with C4 was hilarious.

"Looks like I'll cap this undefended MCOM."
"No you won't." *boom* "lol"

I layered the far right attacker tunnel (at the very end drop-down with the broken ladder) with C4 and detonated it when I saw enemies. 5-in-1.

Followed by two doubles. Rinse and repeat.

SapientWolf said:

Yeah I did that too. Fun times.

This will need fixed. Hell, at least make it to where the defending team does explosive damage to the MCOM. Otherwise I can see this as being the primary tactic to defend the MCOM. =(

Also GamesRadar has impressions of another RUSH map
If we had to single out our favorite map from what we played, Damavand Peak would be it. Damavand is a Rush map, and what makes it interesting is how it handles the spawn points. At one point the attacker’s spawn becomes a cliffside bunker with a sheer drop off. The next defending base is a couple of hundred feet down. While you could take one of the helicopters and gently set yourself down like a pretty princess, real men base jump off the bunker and pull their chute before they splatter all over the objective.

If that wasn’t fun enough, the final base in the map has you pressing into a tight tunnel that usually pitches two tanks against one another in tight quarters as the attacking infantry try to slip past unnoticed. While it may lack a bit of the signature Battlefield map openness, it’s a lot of fun. Just be prepared for confused players to idle around the bunker for 5-10 minutes before they realize they have to jump.

Kyaw said:
@ BatmanBatmanBatman, It doesn't look like you have Post Processing AA turned on. My game doesn't look like that. o_O

I had everything on, also post processing AA. :/

Trc0d.jpg

It looked great on the ground.

bf32011-10-0814-53-31-fjbv.jpg

bf32011-10-0818-32-00-3krx.jpg

(GTX 570 with the battlefield drivers).

soultron

Banned
SapientWolf said:

Is it still possible to destroy MCOMMs with C4? My favourite thing to do in BC2 was Recon + C4 + Double C4 + Explosive Damage Package. Snuck into so many undefended MCOMM sites and demolished the place.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
soultron said:
Is it still possible to destroy MCOMMs with C4? My favourite thing to do in BC2 was Recon + C4 + Double C4 + Explosive Damage Package. Snuck into so many undefended MCOMM sites and demolished the place.
No, they took out MCOM damage from explosives. Looks like engineers might be useful for blowing up booby traps.

I have had very limited time with the beta, but there is one thing I need to address. DICE, if you are going to support controllers in the PC version, don't gimp them. I couldn't figure out how to change spotting to the back button on my 360 controller, all it did was bring up the scoreboard. Also need to be able to change the stick sensitivity and for the love of God, give us different options for vehicle sensitivity. I want to be able to play this game in it's full graphical and player count glory, with the controls that I want and expect. I don't give a shit about aim assist or anything like that, I just want the controller to be as fluid on PC, as it is on the 360.

Pennybags

Darkshier said:
I have had very limited time with the beta, but there is one thing I need to address. DICE, if you are going to support controllers in the PC version, don't gimp them. I couldn't figure out how to change spotting to the back button on my 360 controller, all it did was bring up the scoreboard. Also need to be able to change the stick sensitivity and for the love of God, give us different options for vehicle sensitivity. I want to be able to play this game in it's full graphical and player count glory, with the controls that I want and expect. I don't give a shit about aim assist or anything like that, I just want the controller to be as fluid on PC, as it is on the 360.

360 controller is basically for flying planes. Spotting works even though it brings up the scoreboard. I just dealt with it while piloting lol.

Emily Chu

Banned
Spookie said:
People want a bump in health? Do what you like to consoles but leave it alone on PC. I don't want to be emptying clips in to people to kill them again!

yeah fuck that shit, I'll play halo if I want that pfffht or black ops

can we get a barebones, 1-2 hit kills ultra hardcore mode up in here with instant respawns ?

to off set the dying every second due to the 1-2 shot rule

Pennybags said:
360 controller is basically for flying planes. Spotting works even though it brings up the scoreboard. I just dealt with it while piloting lol.
Yeah that is unacceptable to me though. The controller support in the beta was half assed and DICE might as well not even include the option. Do it right or don't do it at all. I can't imagine it is that hard when the 360 controls work just fine. I am just going to chalk that up to another beta issue and hope that the retail version of BF3 includes proper controller support and not just for jets.

Pennybags

Darkshier said:
Yeah that is unacceptable to me though. The controller support in the beta was half assed and DICE might as well not even include the option. Do it right or don't do it at all. I can't imagine it is that hard when the 360 controls work just fine. I am just going to chalk that up to another beta issue and hope that the retail version of BF3 includes proper controller support and not just for jets.

Yeah, I was disappointed when I tried driving a buggy with the 360 pad.

TheJerit

ii Stryker said:
Yeah I did that too. Fun times.

This will need fixed. Hell, at least make it to where the defending team does explosive damage to the MCOM. Otherwise I can see this as being the primary tactic to defend the MCOM. =(

Also GamesRadar has impressions of another RUSH map

me-gusta.jpg

reviewers, please take note. that is not a rush map. its just rush mode for that map. we can still play it in conquest (and I hope we can still base jump). all maps are playable in all modes...

iam220

Darkshier said:

So the only thing missing than is working button mapping and sensitivity option? Doesn't sound very hard to implement.

OdysseusVA said:
Source?
There would be some mention of it unless I missed it.

I would like to hear a source on this too. On the last bombcast I think it was Jeff who also mentioned it still had not gone gold and he was surprised with that when a DICE guy told him. Of course that is 6 days ago but still... Surely there would have been some talk about it by now.

Spl1nter

OdysseusVA said:
Source?
There would be some mention of it unless I missed it.

A good portion of the DICE staff is on vacation starting sometime last week. They will probably return to work for the launch.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
I would like to hear a source on this too. On the last bombcast I think it was Jeff who also mentioned it still had not gone gold and he was surprised with that when a DICE guy told him. Of course that is 6 days ago but still... Surely there would have been some talk about it by now.

David Goldfarb has said the game is done

David Goldfarb
@locust9
Lead designer and writer at DICE. Lead game designer Battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2.

Link to specific tweet or it didn't happen :p

But really, this is a big game and I would think going gold would be news worthy for the majority of people anticipating it's release.

Makoto

They probably won't be direct about it going gold unless they want more hordes of misinformed people who will say, "But teh beta was sooo buggy. why it go gold? lol not buying your game if u not fix problems."

Sethos

Banned
Gold announcements aren't very common these days. Plus, I'm pretty sure the game has already gone gold or they'd be pushing it real close. They are probably all crunching away at the Day 1 patch now and up till release.

desu

Spl1nter said:
A good portion of the DICE staff is on vacation starting sometime last week. They will probably return to work for the launch.

Vacation? They better pray I dont see more than 10 bugs the first day...

Nostalgia~4ever said:
footage to be revealed this friday...

For all 5 maps? Source :>?

Woo-Fu

Banned
desu said:
Vacation? They better pray I dont see more than 10 bugs the first day...
Unless you've got them on speed dial I doubt they're worried about what bugs you see the first day.

Oh, and as far as footage goes I want to see footage from all of the back to karkand maps.

desu

Woo-Fu said:
Unless you've got them on speed dial I doubt they're worried about what bugs you see the first day.

Well I can only hope that they deliver, or people will go really mad at them ;).

Dakota47

Woo-Fu said:
Oh, and as far as footage goes I want to see footage from all of the back to karkand maps.

Ditto, especially Sharqi. That was my favorite BF2 map. I hope the television building has a lot of inside space.

Top Bottom