• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3: Fault Line Series (Campaign Trailer) [Up 4: More Pre-Order Goodies]

Izayoi

Banned
KingJ2002 said:
MY GOD... THE VIDEO, THE SOUNDS, THE ENVIRONMENTS

i know this is going to sound blasphemous... but if we're doing this NOW... we really dont next the next gen anytime soon
PC =/= Consoles.

The console games won't look anything like the PC version.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Red Orchestra 2 needs to come out well before BF3 so that it gets its own thunder, because BF3 is going to be a big, big deal for sure.

do you guys mind if I take my mind off Crysis 2 and heal up my wounds in this thread?

There's such a positive spirit of moods in this thread that I just want to soak it up and relax.... lemonade in one hand and gorgeous bullshot scrollin' on the other.

Afrikan

beast786 said:
I am not sure why, but this reminds me of socom4.

Day 1

I think some will be surprised by Socom 4.....well at-least until the BF3 Beta..lol But Socom4 will have 32 players, destruction (not BF level), and seems to be using HDR......some parts the Lighting makes the game look photo realistic as well....but again not like the tech DICE is pushing with its lighting.......either way, nice game to have till BF3.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
PC Games Germany said what they have seen at DICE looked really as good as this new screenshots, so no bullshots.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
LabouredSubterfuge said:
When is RO2 expected to release?

It's currently in closed beta and is expected some time in the first half of this year. No exact date yet.

KingJ2002 said:

i know this is going to sound blasphemous... but if we're doing this NOW... we really dont next the next gen anytime soon

Um you mean the opposite right? Thats probably running in 3x GTX 580s...

lilltias

subversus said:
I'mnot saying that the game doesn't look impressive, it's just textures are nothing to write home about.

Take a look at those shots again and then tell me you were wrong. Then apologize.

bkw

Looks great! Time for a new video card maybe...

I love how there was no music/score during that sniper attack. (Though I'm still hoping for a new mix of the good ol' Battlefield theme. That tune always gets me pumped.)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
EviLore said:
2011 hardware is pretty, y'know, "next-gen" compared to 2005 hardware ;b

This. lol

Also...I'll be waiting until a demo or something to truly, truly get hyped. PC devs have let us down before many times (including one just recently) so I'll just sit back and wait. And hope.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
EviLore said:
Red Orchestra 2 needs to come out well before BF3 so that it gets its own thunder, because BF3 is going to be a big, big deal for sure.

You seem pretty up to date with all these shooters. I've been playing BC2 since it came out and I loved it. Aside from Quake Live and Legions Overdrive(essentially tribes 1) I don't really play any other shooters anymore. What's your experience with the game? Was it a Battlefield experience for you? Are the more "hardcore" PC shooter fans expecting much more from this? I mean, I played BF2 and 2142 on the PC, and aside from a few essentials, BC2 felt pretty solid for a Battlefield game to me.

I can only see them moving up with this game, and I hope the upcoming MP video (soon, right?) shines some light on how it'll perform in comparison to BC2.

Jtrizzy

Dear god those ripten screenshots make for an amazing background on my new plasma. Dl em through the PS3 browser.

iavi

Wow. This year just gets worse and worse on my wallet. THIS ISN'T FAIR. WHYYYY!

seriously... between this for it's realist setting and The Witcher 2 for it's fantasy one, I have been consistently blown away by the graphics of these coming titles, like generation-leap blown away.

My thoughts:

-The way he holds the M4 looks wack. DAT LEFT THUMB

-Sprint animation is weird.

-Something is off with the M4 reload animation. Can't put my finger on it.

-Walking animation is a tad obnoxious, but what do you expect? It's a Frostbite game.

Anything I didn't mention looks superb.

EDIT - Also, I'm intrigued by the whole earthquake thing. Ridiculous potential there.

The Xtortionist said:
My thoughts:

-The way he holds the M4 looks wack. DAT LEFT THUMB

-Sprint animation is weird.

-Something is off with the M4 reload animation. Can't put my finger on it.

Anything I didn't mention looks superb.

Sprinting doesn't have nearly enough "bounce" to it. Kinda looks floaty which is surprising since Mirror's Edge did sprinting right. Look at how much the guns in your partner's hands sway, then look at the player's. Brink has the best FPS sprinting I've seen so far.

And the reload is kind of "soft" looking. Like "Meh, I guess I'll give myself some more bullets now..." Doesn't have enough force or urgency to it. Hard to explain. Killzone 2 and 3 have some of the best here IMO.

Kind of nitpicking though cause it looks tremendous overall.

vocab

EvaPlusMinus said:
You seem pretty up to date with all these shooters. I've been playing BC2 since it came out and I loved it. Aside from Quake Live and Legions Overdrive(essentially tribes 1) I don't really play any other shooters anymore. What's your experience with the game? Was it a Battlefield experience for you? Are the more "hardcore" PC shooter fans expecting much more from this? I mean, I played BF2 and 2142 on the PC, and aside from a few essentials, BC2 felt pretty solid for a Battlefield game to me.

I can only see them moving up with this game, and I hope the upcoming MP video (soon, right?) shines some light on how it'll perform in comparison to BC2.

I'm not speaking for Evilore, but I was pretty disappointed by BC2. I played the shit out of it for the first 2 months, but something was missing. I loved 2142 so god damn much. The game has it's fair share of problems, but the game was just too fun, and a much tighter experience. BC2 just had some shoddy hit detection. When I ran someone over with a FAV in 2142, I knew I could depend on the games engine and netcode of actually running them over. In BC2, I go through people almost all the time. It's infuriating. Same thing with the gunplay.

I'm gonna wait and see how BF3 plays out. If it feels anything remotely close to BC2 sloppiness or MOH boring ass maps and gameplay, I will be staying away.

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/3dcg/20110301_430375.html

If that sequence was really in game, then it's the most impressive videogame footage I've ever seen. Everything about it was just wow.

Now I want new consoles.

Now.

Incredible gif Dennis.

//edit//

lol at similar feelings below, I feel you bro!

Jtrizzy

This game might be the nail in the coffin for my current gen console gaming career. The great thing is the consoles are really blowing their load this year, (assuming TLG). BF games are such time sinks for me anyway, and I haven't owned a PC rig since Doom, so my backlog will be insane.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Looks great.

But battles always sound so sterile without the realistic bullet snap sound.

The dev's should watch some of the Ross Kemp Afghanistan footage, the sound of an AK being fired at you isn't just budda-budda, it's a snap that (I imagine) makes you want to dig a hole in the ground with your teeth.

KingJ2002 said:

well, look at it this way :

PC hardware is DirectX 11 and console hardware is DirectX 9

And the reload is kind of "soft" looking. Like "Meh, I guess I'll give myself some more bullets now..." Doesn't have enough force or urgency to it. hard to explain. Killzone has some of the best here IMO.

Not to mention the badassery of Bad Company 1's reloads. I know it's a nitpick but weak reload animations bug the hell out of me and occasionally drag the whole experience down.

I complain about some of the weirdest shit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
blazinglazers said:
If that sequence was really in game, then it's the most impressive videogame footage I've ever seen. Everything about it was just wow.

Now I want new consoles.

Now.

Incredible gif Dennis.

Join the master race. We welcome all shapes, sizes, and colours.

No Homers.

derFeef

Man, I am still amazed. Bring on the DX11 goodness, DICE.
No gif-bomb this time though, too much awesome. (but Dennis is on it, I guess ;)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
EvaPlusMinus said:

BC2 I've played quite a bit and I've enjoyed it. It does feel a little...dumbed down, if I may, but considering it's a console-centric offshoot of the Battlefield series it manages to incorporate a lot of the core Battlefield elements fairly successfully. What it's really missing is a proper conquest mode, and that's more a function of the map design than the capture-and-hold mechanic. Most of the BC2 maps are designed around the Rush mode, and so they don't work right for Conquest and they feel a little limited.

Rolling with my GAF mods on a big-ass map in BF2, capturing objectives and feeling like a cohesive team, that sort of thing never really came together for me in the same way in BC2. The scope is too small and there's not enough interdependency to bring out the teamplay dynamics (protecting the squad leader, for example).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
dogmaan said:
Looks great.

But battles always sound so sterile without the realistic bullet snap sound.

The dev's should watch some of the Ross Kemp Afghanistan footage, the sound of an AK being fired at you isn't just budda-budda, it's a snap that (I imagine) makes you want to dig a hole in the ground with your teeth.

Mainstream audience perception is derived from Hollywood films, so most people are completely unaware of what bullet crack is and will probably actually think it's unrealistic/weird. It's unfortunate but bullet crack will most likely be relegated to more hardcore sim-style games until that perception is changed.

LowParry

MisterAnderson said:
The whole concept of the earthquake event makes me wish keyboard and mouse rumbled :/

Hey, if you got a nice sound system to use, turn up that bass. That shit will blow your mind away.

Dennis

Banned
This has to be by far the best looking game on the horizon. The Witcher 2 will probably look great as well but the 'photorealistic' design is fantastic.

Oh, how I would love to see an open-world RPG with this kind of visual aproach rather the the usual 'fantasy' look.

gifife

The reload on most games is off with the m16/m4s, when all the rounds are expended the charging handle is already locked back. So, press a button on the side to release the cartridge instead of pulling it out slowly, stick in new cartridge, press in the bolt catch button on the left side, then shoot. Most games just have you stick in a cartridge and pull back the charging handle.

Disguises

I don't understand - yes, it looks awesome graphically, but gameplay-wise it looks like it could be just another call of duty. I'm sure there's more variety, but I'm not impressed at the moment.

Jtrizzy

Just watching the gif over and over blown up on my tv. The thing that stands out to me are the little fruit basket things on the left. They pretty much look real.

cluto

The Xtortionist said:
Not to mention the badassery of Bad Company 1's reloads. I know it's a nitpick but weak reload animations bug the hell out of me and occasionally drag the whole experience down.

I complain about some of the weirdest shit.
I agree with you and Net Wrecker about the reload animations. The third-person character animations look fantastic in this video, but something that has always bothered me about the Battlefield games is the first-person animations. Modern Warfare and MW2 do these extremely well--it's part of the reason why I think those games have excellent gunplay--the first-person animations just look and feel right and it makes me think I'm shooting an actual weapon.

It's something I really want this game to do well. Hopefully they're not final.

vocab

Disguises said:
I don't understand - yes, it looks awesome graphically, but gameplay-wise it looks like it could be just another call of duty. I'm sure there's more variety, but I'm not impressed at the moment.

Well Battlefield is battlefield. Cod4 and up is a hybrid of so many games.

kadotsu

Banned
Disguises said:
I unfortunatly feel the same way but it's still a great technical achievement. I just hope that there is at least a snowballs chance in hell for DICE to use this tech on Mirror's Edge 2 or an original IP.

Top Bottom