• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 - Gameplay Debut [Update 2: First Direct Feed Screenshot In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

LQX said:
I'm starting to hate all the Middle East shit. It's as if they are remaking BF2.
Or making a sequel to it. They've already confirmed it'll take place in Paris and New York to. Where would you prefer? They've already been to idyllic rural scenery with BC2, it's about time they return back to the Urban.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
DICE has warned its rivals in the military shooter space that it's "here to win" with Battlefield 3 - and accused some of its competitors of "treading water".

"We are gearing up for a fight and we're here to win," said Karl Magnus Troedsson, General Manager, DICE.

"Where other shooters are treading water Battlefield 3 innovates. Frostbite 2 is a game-changer for shooter fans. We call it a next-generation engine for current-generation platforms."

Executive producer Patrick Bach added: "We wanted to create the most immersive and emotionally powerful Battlefield game ever and we needed new technology to deliver on our vision.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/290472/news/dice-battlefield-3s-rivals-are-treading-water/

It's War bitches!

Peterthumpa

This looks too good to be true... almost pre-rendered with all the awesome animations and lights... will wait more footage to jump in the hype train.

Arnie

bengraven said:
Can't wait to hear the Killzone vs. Battlefield vs. Gears vs. Uncharted graphics arguments.
There is no argument. One is a PC game and the others are console titles. There's no way that Battlefield 3 on high is graphically inferior to any of those other titles you mentioned. No way.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Arnie said:
There is no argument. One is a PC game and the others are console titles. There's no way that Battlefield 3 on high is graphically inferior to any of those other titles you mentioned. No way.
Doesn't matter. PC can be selectively ignored by people for arguments. I saw it quite a bit in Crysis 2 threads.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
betweenthewheels said:
Great to see they really bumped the lighting from BC:2, which was probably the weakest part of the game graphically.

Also, "Dat" meme needs to die
Seems you just accidentally piggy-backed on the meme. Ride the wave hardcore, donkey style, I say.

A.Romero

If it is as deep as BF2 was I will be there day one. Even if it means I have to upgrade my PC with the ridiculous prices that we get in Mexico.

I wish I could relive the experiences I had with the older BF games. Nothing causes me that excitement anymore...

/Bitter Old Gamer

n0b

felipepl said:
This looks too good to be true... almost pre-rendered with all the awesome animations and lights... will wait more footage to jump in the hype train.

Realtime Radiosity explains the lighting, they already showed that way back at Siggraph. So the lighting is real. They were talking about how they got a new animation system, so thats probably true to some extent at least. (no idea how scripted it is of course)

The real question is what kind of beast of a PC do you need to run the realtime radiosity.

Scotch

felipepl said:
The first Crysis came out in 2007, so 4 years later you would expect things to look this good.

Peterthumpa

n0b said:
Realtime Radiosity explains the lighting, they already showed that way back at Siggraph. So the lighting is real. They were talking about how they got a new animation system, so thats probably true to some extent at least. (no idea how scripted it is of course)

The real question is what kind of beast of a PC do you need to run the realtime radiosity.
My thoughts exactly. Radiosity is pretty much a performance killer with today's graphics cards. But the superb animation also makes me feel that there's a catch somewhere.

EVIL

felipepl said:
My thoughts exactly. Radiosity is pretty much a performance killer with today's graphics cards. But the superb animation also makes me feel that there's a catch somewhere.
crysis 2 does it.. so why wouldn't frostbyte 2 be able to? and from the looks of it, its not true radiosity, its faked in a way to be very close to the actual thing.

Arucardo

EVIL said:
crysis 2 does it.. so why wouldn't frostbyte 2 be able to? and from the looks of it, its not true radiosity, its faked in a way to be very close to the actual thing.
I'm sorry but how exactly is it "fake"? Have you even read the presentation repi (Johan Andersson) gave about it?

derFeef

Boom.

e8c282d0.gif
6c5cafc6.gif

5c3a3cf9.gif
65b01c6d.gif

fb426019.gif
44a5a373.gif

e63a8931.gif

Can't wait! Dragging your teamates out of fire is going to be awesome, and jets! Finally going to have a reason to hook up my flight stick.

Megalodactyl said:
Can't wait! Dragging your teamates out of fire is going to be awesome, and jets! Finally going to have a reason to hook up my flight stick.
That dragging could just be some single player canned animation stuff.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ok looking through those GIFs I think Dice has set a new world has set a new world record for greatest number of RGB splits crammed into such a small amount of time. It's insane.

Ramirez

Looks amazing, I wonder how bad the console versions will look compared to this, no way I'm buying a new PC anytime soon. :(

Izayoi

Banned
Holy fucking shit.

Remember all of those prerendered bullshots and trailers before this generation? I think we finally have something that tops them.

Way to go DICE, that shit looks absolutely unreal. Can't wait for March 1st.

Also, I saw it mentioned earlier in the thread:

The DLC is NOT on-disc. It will be handled just like VIP DLC for Bad Company 2 is, a download. Basically it's EA trying to give people an incentive to buy the game new. That's all.

Oh, and I'm not the only one who is reminded of GRAW, right? It's the same kind of visceral, but somehow clean, visual style almost. I find it incredibly easy on the eyes and I stoked that DICE went with it.

lord pie

EVIL said:

Frostbite 2 uses Enlighten, which is realtime radiosity middleware. From what I can tell, BF3 will be the first game to use it.
I'm somewhat familiar with it, and it's very different from crytec's sun GI. It relies on a lot of offline preprocessing, but is physically correct GI (obviously for a given compression level).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
derFeef said:
Boom.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/gifs/BF3/e8c282d0.gif[IMG] [IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/gifs/BF3/6c5cafc6.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/gifs/BF3/5c3a3cf9.gif[IMG] [IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/gifs/BF3/65b01c6d.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/gifs/BF3/fb426019.gif[IMG] [IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/gifs/BF3/44a5a373.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/gifs/BF3/e63a8931.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Om nom nom nom.

Izayoi

Banned
b.e.r.g said:
Expansion packs already? A year before release? I'm out, to hell with "impressive lighting"...
It's not an expansion pack. It comes with all new copies of the game.

Basically, it's EA's way of saying "buy the game new".

wwm0nkey

Izayoi said:
It's not an expansion pack. It comes with all new copies of the game.

Basically, it's EA's way of saying "buy the game new".
exactly.

You are officially the coolest Junior Member now lol

Kibbles

Just remembered, February is only 28 days, so that means March 1st is sooner than expected. lol yes!

Those gifs, omggg O_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom