• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgc

Member
Dec 5, 2006
1,016
0
865
georgc said:
Hey BF3 fans I have a little present for all of you. I got myself a 25% off birthday coupon for origin. From what I have read and understand once activated there is a small window where this code will stay active and work.

So this is what i was thinking. Just to keep it within the family ill post the code in the BFBC2 community thread. Once I post it use it asap before the window closes. Ill post the code at 11 pm est.

Hope this works :) and if it does.... you know work.....I could use a dirt 3 code >:)


edit: I just realized that 11pm is only a half an hour away. make it 12 am est to give people more chance to see it


Well I suck, I fell asleep sorry anyone who waited. lets try this again 1pm est. same place
 

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oct 29, 2006
42,982
0
0
Nostalgia~4ever said:
it is pretty obvious that DICE are on a short leash to make the launch considering they hire left and right.

edit: Day 1 patch incoming.
The timing of the beta makes it pretty clear that they are just going to be working on MP until the game is out for a day 1 patch.
 
Oct 19, 2010
1,773
0
0
RoboPlato said:
The timing of the beta makes it pretty clear that they are just going to be working on MP until the game is out for a day 1 patch.

yes especially since they already have 50 people hired for Q&A singleplayer.

did I tell you that this game is more expensive than the most expensive movie ever made in sweden?
 

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oct 29, 2006
42,982
0
0
Nostalgia~4ever said:
yes especially since they already have 50 people hired for Q&A singleplayer.

did I tell you that this game is more expensive than the most expensive movie ever made in sweden?
I had no idea that they had hired that many people or that the game cost that much. It'll be worth it though.


Legato.Reborn- said:
The servers are absolutely going to melt.
Pretty much par for the course for the launch of a DICE MP game.
 

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Apr 21, 2008
27,396
0
0
Argentina
RoboPlato said:
I had no idea that they had hired that many people or that the game cost that much. It'll be worth it though.



Pretty much par for the course for the launch of a DICE MP game.
Yup. Thats what the SP is for... to ease the wait until the servers go back online.
 

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oct 29, 2006
42,982
0
0
Fersis said:
Yup. Thats what the SP is for... to ease the wait until the servers go back online.
Haha. Yep. Pretty much.

I do hope the campaign is better than the BC ones. I do really like what I've seen from it so far.
 

Amagon

Member
May 18, 2010
13,864
1
0
Legato.Reborn- said:
The servers are absolutely going to melt.
I remember the mass bitching and moanings of the BF2 servers at launch. It lasted for weeks/months lol!
Ahhhhhhhhh............................the memories!
 

Animator

Member
Jun 9, 2009
6,626
0
0
derFeef said:
Guys, the thing was cheap because Germany has them en masse lying around.


The big reveal is: Everyone who orders the collectors edition gets a Mig 21!
 

LordCanti

Member
May 8, 2011
15,211
0
590
The Burbs
georgc said:
ok guys check the community thread for the 25% off origin coupon

I got in as well. Can't beat BF3 for $44 bucks. Thanks man.

(For anyone trying right now, you have to do it THROUGH THE ORIGIN APPLICATION. It will not work through the website. I tried, and thought the code was expired. Luckily, I tried the application on a whim)
 

Josh7289

Member
Dec 9, 2006
7,386
2
0
LordCanti said:
I got in as well. Can't beat BF3 for $44 bucks. Thanks man.

(For anyone trying right now, you have to do it THROUGH THE ORIGIN APPLICATION. It will not work through the website. I tried, and thought the code was expired. Luckily, I tried the application on a whim)
I posted this in the other thread too but the same code worked for me through the website. Maybe there's some weird lack of communication or delay between the website and the application where if the code is used in one it doesn't tell the other to invalidate it?
 
Oct 19, 2010
1,773
0
0
http://www.nvidia.com/object/pax-prime.htm

Experience Everything. Sacrifice Nothing. Play Fully Loaded.
Get yourself “Fully Loaded” to experience this year’s hottest games on the PC!

Visit us in the PC Freeplay Area on Level 6 at PAX Prime to experience the unreleased, highly-anticipated game, Battlefield 3, the way it’s meant to be played: On “Fully Loaded” PCs featuring two NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580s in SLI, provided by Maingear.

Enter the daily 12v12 single player tournament to win some great prizes – a grand prize winner will be selected each day. These Fully Loaded systems are also available every day for free play so you can polish your tactics. Visit the PC Freeplay Area on Level 6 for details.

First BF3 tournament at pax prime august 26-28 in Seattle.
 

LordCanti

Member
May 8, 2011
15,211
0
590
The Burbs
Nostalgia~4ever said:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/pax-prime.htm



First BF3 tournament at pax prime august 26-28 in Seattle.

Two 580's....in SLI....

Please let that be for a 2560x1200 monitor or something.


Josh7289 said:
I posted this in the other thread too but the same code worked for me through the website. Maybe there's some weird lack of communication or delay between the website and the application where if the code is used in one it doesn't tell the other to invalidate it?

It worked for you through a browser? Huh...I guess you are probably right, and that there is some kind of miscommunication there. Maybe these codes aren't on a time delay at all; Maybe they can only be used once on Origin, and once through the website.
 

LordCanti

Member
May 8, 2011
15,211
0
590
The Burbs
Chinner said:
ive got one 580, but that statement could be just generic PR shit.

I got great performance out of my single 580, but I'm kind of worried that the build we played was stripped down to the bones.

Hopefully it is just a "let no man claim his rig was the problem" type of thing.

(I'm kind of jealous of anyone going to PAX. I have confidence that I could place, but I'm stuck a thousand miles away)
 

Sethos

Banned
Apr 9, 2009
18,138
0
0
Denmark
They always set up these multi-GPU rigs for events, especially when Nvidia is involved - They are really pushing that shit. BF3 will run fine on single cards.

They made a nice engine yes but it's not the second coming of Christ.
 

Josh7289

Member
Dec 9, 2006
7,386
2
0
LordCanti said:
It worked for you through a browser? Huh...I guess you are probably right, and that there is some kind of miscommunication there. Maybe these codes aren't on a time delay at all; Maybe they can only be used once on Origin, and once through the website.
What happens if you try it again through the application? In the browser it properly shows that the code is now invalid.
 

Chinner

Banned
Mar 14, 2007
27,878
0
0
LordCanti said:
I got great performance out of my single 580, but I'm kind of worried that the build we played was stripped down to the bones.

Hopefully it is just a "let no man claim his rig was the problem" type of thing.

(I'm kind of jealous of anyone going to PAX. I have confidence that I could place, but I'm stuck a thousand miles away)
it's an alpha - they usually don't run well. besides, didnt the beta for BC2 run pretty badly but was fine at release?
 
Dec 28, 2008
19,767
0
0
UK.
It'll be interesting to see what I need to run the game on to get it at 60fps in multiplayer. In SP I can deal with 30, but MP? Needs to be 60.

I have a 6950, so I would hope I can still have it looking rather nice!
 

LordCanti

Member
May 8, 2011
15,211
0
590
The Burbs
Josh7289 said:
What happens if you try it again through the application? In the browser it properly shows that the code is now invalid.

It doesn't work through the application for me now. Who knows if that is because time has expired, or because we used it up though.
 

Josh7289

Member
Dec 9, 2006
7,386
2
0
LordCanti said:
It doesn't work through the application for me now. Who knows if that is because time has expired, or because we used it up though.
Yeah, I guess we'll just have to wait for another birthday for someone to test it haha
 

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jul 4, 2004
35,710
0
0
Sethos said:
They always set up these multi-GPU rigs for events, especially when Nvidia is involved - They are really pushing that shit. BF3 will run fine on single cards.

They made a nice engine yes but it's not the second coming of Christ.
If anything, the alpha seemed to be CPU limited. Dual cores am cry.
 

Tallshortman

Member
Jul 31, 2008
6,446
1
770
Foliorum Viridum said:
It'll be interesting to see what I need to run the game on to get it at 60fps in multiplayer. In SP I can deal with 30, but MP? Needs to be 60.

I have a 6950, so I would hope I can still have it looking rather nice!

I would imagine a 6950 could run 60+ fps on medium settings, maybe even high depending on your CPU. I'm doing 120 fps in BC2 MP on high on my 6950 and beta was surprisingly forgiving for a "rough" build.
 
Jan 23, 2009
1,810
0
810
NJ
You guys think a 580 in a Phenom 2 x4 system with 6 gigs/RAM is good enough for this game? I was looking into the 590 . . . Is it worth it?

Or are there any better cards coming out in the next few months?
 
Dec 28, 2008
19,767
0
0
UK.
Tallshortman said:
I would imagine a 6950 could run 60+ fps on medium settings, maybe even high depending on your CPU. I'm doing 120 fps in BC2 MP on high on my 6950 and beta was surprisingly forgiving for a "rough" build.
955BE @ 4ghz

BC2 runs beautifully for me with everything on max, too!
 

LordCanti

Member
May 8, 2011
15,211
0
590
The Burbs
SapientWolf said:
If anything, the alpha seemed to be CPU limited. Dual cores am cry.

I've been considering dropping by a Microcenter and joining the Sandy Bridge bandwagon, but somehow my wallet seems to be saying "don't do it...please". If I do it, I will have officially spent...mmm....$850 or so, just to play Battlefield 3 ($330 for a GTX 580, $130 for a X750 PSU, $400 for RAM/CPU/Mobo/Cooler).

This E8500 did fine in the alpha. I'm waiting to see what kind of performance I'll see in the beta.

Josh7289 said:
Yeah, I guess we'll just have to wait for another birthday for someone to test it haha

This is the only game I ever plan to buy on Origin, so I don't really need to know how the code works now lol. That I could get it for $44, nicely makes up for having to have Origin installed on my machine to play.
 

belvedere

Junior Butler
Jun 2, 2006
9,148
1
0
Some numbers from my quick and dirty BF3 alpha bench via Fraps.

X4 965 BE
6870
High settings

2011-07-27 19:10:50 - bf3
Frames: 25238 - Time: 394757ms - Avg: 63.933 - Min: 28 - Max: 158
 

LordCanti

Member
May 8, 2011
15,211
0
590
The Burbs
belvedere said:
It's a foundation for a baseline, so no.
All that data really shows is that in one specific section of the map (unknown to us, since there is no accompanying video) you got the listed FPS. Without other people giving us FPS data for the same place, there aren't a whole lot of conclusions we can draw from it.
 

Josh7289

Member
Dec 9, 2006
7,386
2
0
belvedere said:
Some numbers from my quick and dirty BF3 alpha bench via Fraps.

X4 965 BE
6870
High settings

2011-07-27 19:10:50 - bf3
Frames: 25238 - Time: 394757ms - Avg: 63.933 - Min: 28 - Max: 158
I've got FPS tests that I ran on my system during the alpha that we might be able to compare if you let us know where this was.
 

belvedere

Junior Butler
Jun 2, 2006
9,148
1
0
LordCanti said:
All that data really shows is that in one specific section of the map (unknown to us, since there is no accompanying video) you got the listed FPS. Without other people giving us FPS data for the same place, there aren't a whole lot of conclusions we can draw from it.

I didn't realize anyone said those numbers meant a 100% accurate representation for every possible config.

It's a baseline. All I meant to do was show that the cards in the 6870 range can run the game in some fashion. Not to say anyone expected otherwise.

Edit:


Josh7289 said:
I've got FPS tests that I ran on my system during the alpha that we might be able to compare if you let us know where this was.

32 player Op Metro.
Attacking.
 
Oct 19, 2010
1,773
0
0
some russian site did a benchmark on the alpha

 

Josh7289

Member
Dec 9, 2006
7,386
2
0
belvedere said:
I didn't realize anyone said those numbers meant a 100% accurate representation for every possible config.

It's a baseline. All I meant to do was show that the cards in the 6870 range can run the game in some fashion. Not to say anyone expected otherwise.

Edit:




32 player Op Metro.
Attacking.
I mean which sections of the map? Park? Park+subway? Everything? etc.
 

belvedere

Junior Butler
Jun 2, 2006
9,148
1
0
Josh7289 said:
I mean which sections of the map? Park? Park+subway? Everything? etc.

Park (match beginning) until second section of subway IIRC.

I definitely know it was about 6 1/2 minutes of gameplay and we made it to the subway.
 

LordCanti

Member
May 8, 2011
15,211
0
590
The Burbs
belvedere said:
I didn't realize anyone said those numbers meant a 100% accurate representation for every possible config.

It's a baseline. All I meant to do was show that the cards in the 6870 range can run the game in some fashion. Not to say anyone expected otherwise.

I've got FRAPS benchmark data that lists my average at over 100FPS on high at 1080p. That data is likely skewed, because I was probably looking at the ground or the sky or something for part of that run (and throwing off the data).

If someone has specs that are very similar to yours, they could expect that at some point while playing that map, they would get similar FPS. In the alpha, that is. Who knows what the beta or the retail game will bring.

Edit: Oh, six and a half minutes of gameplay? That makes it a better (alpha) benchmark for people with your specs for sure.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
some russian site did a benchmark on the alpha


Is there any accompanying data about which processor was used with which video card? Going by just the chart, it is kind of impossible to tell which was used with which.
 

belvedere

Junior Butler
Jun 2, 2006
9,148
1
0
LordCanti said:
I've got FRAPS benchmark data that lists my average at over 100FPS on high at 1080p. That data is likely skewed, because I was probably looking at the ground or the sky or something for part of that run (and throwing off the data).

If someone has specs that are very similar to yours, they could expect that at some point while playing that map, they would get similar FPS. In the alpha, that is. Who knows what the beta or the retail game will bring.


Being the nerd I am, I ran at least 20-25 fraps tests and sorted them out. I ran a few where the particle effects from the subway entrance explosion slowed my machine down, to the smoke effects from the surface/air missile. The results I posted here were taken from a bench I took where I played normally, from the beginning of the park to the subway while attacking. It would be a pretty worthless bench to stare at the sky, or enter a narrow hallway and look at the wall.

We already know things will change with the final release but these benchmarks can give perspective.
 

LordCanti

Member
May 8, 2011
15,211
0
590
The Burbs
belvedere said:
Being the nerd I am, I ran at least 20-25 fraps tests and sorted them out. I ran a few where the particle effects from the subway entrance explosion slowed my machine down, to the smoke effects from the surface/air missile. The results I posted here were taken from a bench I took where I played normally, from the beginning of the park to the subway while attacking. It would be a pretty worthless bench to stare at the sky, or enter a narrow hallway and look at the wall.

We already know things will change with the final release but these benchmarks can give perspective.

I nerded it up by taking screenshots of every little thing, even though I couldn't post any of them. I've got a ton of benchmark data as well, but I neglected to label any of it, so it is kind of worthless now sadly.

I should be able to compare the performance I got in the alpha with the performance I got in the beta anyway, by averaging out all my alpha benchmarks. Should be nerdy fun.
 

belvedere

Junior Butler
Jun 2, 2006
9,148
1
0
LordCanti said:
I nerded it up by taking screenshots of every little thing, even though I couldn't post any of them. I've got a ton of benchmark data as well, but I neglected to label any of it, so it is kind of worthless now sadly.

I should be able to compare the performance I got in the alpha with the performance I got in the beta anyway, by averaging out all my alpha benchmarks. Should be nerdy fun.

Haha, sounds all too familiar.

I'm really curious to see how it runs with more bells and whistles. Maybe we can expect better optimization so that when the destruction and other various elements are cranked, the impact isn't too great.

One can hope.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.