• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keasar

Nostalgia~4ever said:
some russian site did a benchmark on the alpha

b7FBO.jpg
Yay, fourth place with my GTX 570 card.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Menelaus said:
If any of you played the BC2 beta, you'd laugh at anyone posting benches of the alpha as a "baseline" to anything.

Actually in my experience with the BC2 beta, performance was one of the very few things that was constant.

Knifing, spawning, splash damage and 100 other things weren't though haha.

mr_nothin

Banned
LordCanti said:
I nerded it up by taking screenshots of every little thing, even though I couldn't post any of them. I've got a ton of benchmark data as well, but I neglected to label any of it, so it is kind of worthless now sadly.

I should be able to compare the performance I got in the alpha with the performance I got in the beta anyway, by averaging out all my alpha benchmarks. Should be nerdy fun.
I have 300gigs of uncompressed FRAPS/BF3 video sitting here on my PC. I go back and watch it every day to remind me of all the awesome Im very much missing right now. Doing this has replaced me playing BC2. True story..

Smokey

LordCanti said:
I've been considering dropping by a Microcenter and joining the Sandy Bridge bandwagon, but somehow my wallet seems to be saying "don't do it...please". If I do it, I will have officially spent...mmm....$850 or so, just to play Battlefield 3 ($330 for a GTX 580, $130 for a X750 PSU, $400 for RAM/CPU/Mobo/Cooler).

What? Is that all MC's?

And your avatar change confused the hell out of me.

LordCanti

Smokey said:
What? Is that all MC's?

And your avatar change confused the hell out of me.

I bought the GTX 580 for $330 during a price mishap at Amazon months ago. Sorry about that, lol.

I guess I should probably switch my avatar back, but I do like the new one. Maybe I can shop the penguin into the face area...hmm...

Feature

Banned
Wouldn't it be sweet if you could take a jet at the start of that tank level they already showed and be one of those fighters doing bombing runs etc...

RS4-

Ugh, didn't get my 25% off coupon. EA live chat was being useless and saying no such thing existed.

LordCanti

RS4- said:
Ugh, didn't get my 25% off coupon. EA live chat was being useless and saying no such thing existed.

25% coupon for... your birthday? If so, did you actually provide them with your real birth date?

Keasar

I also want a 25% off coupon or a free copy of Dead Space 2 or stuff like that when ordering on Origin. :/

Europe sucks.....

Asgaro

RS4- said:

It's a random process. Not everyone gets it if it's his/her birthday.
Got that answer from 2 different ea support guys.

But for another problem they sent me to so called Tier 2 support chat, and I thought it wouldnt mind to ask it for the 3rd time, and they gave me a coupon code!

Izayoi

Banned
Tallshortman said:
How did BC2 beta compare with final release?
We're talking going from completely unplayable (5-15) to very healthy (40+), at least on my old dual core rig. If the same thing happens with BF3, I expect similar framerates on high in retail to what I was getting on low in the alpha (70-80 w/ a single GTX 580 and a i7-2600k).

G_Berry

Banned
Alpha performance was definitely all over the place.

I'm running AMD 1090t hex core @ 3.2. 4 gig ddr3 and a sc gtx 580 and even when it was over 60fps it still ran janky.

I don't think we can use the alpha as any kind of benchmark. The beta will be a much better gauge of performance but still nowhere near accurate enough. Gotta wait for a few patches after release for that lol.

Izayoi

Banned
I had a friend with a hexacore AMD and he had serious framerate issues as well, so I'm willing to bet that it just isn't optimized at all.

aperman

Neo Member
Izayoi said:
I had a friend with a hexacore AMD and he had serious framerate issues as well, so I'm willing to bet that it just isn't optimized at all.

I was on an 8-Core Mac Pro with 16GB RAM and couldn't get it running smoothly on high (then again, my video card is a shitty 4870).

I'm sure we'll see significant improvements in the Beta, and even more so (hopefully) during launch.

Izayoi said:
We're talking going from completely unplayable (5-15) to very healthy (40+), at least on my old dual core rig. If the same thing happens with BF3, I expect similar framerates on high in retail to what I was getting on low in the alpha (70-80 w/ a single GTX 580 and a i7-2600k).

That's what I'm hoping for. That way I can probably get 60 on high on retail.

Izayoi

Banned
aperman said:
I was on an 8-Core Mac Pro with 16GB RAM and couldn't get it running smoothly on high (then again, my video card is a shitty 4870).

I'm sure we'll see significant improvements in the Beta, and even more so (hopefully) during launch.
Well, I'm pretty sure that the Alpha used a 32bit executable, so anything more than 6 or 8GB isn't really going to help. As for the processor(s), I have no idea how Xenons do for gaming. It could be that their archetecture isn't as well suited for the game as say, an i5 or i7.

demolitio

Izayoi said:
Metro was damn good for being a Rush map.

I thought the map was alright. Needs some tweaks in the beginning but it's hard to judge it with the squad spawning being broken 90% of the time. The real problem isn't the map though. It's the damn shitty players that never go after the objectives or just run in alone when they do and misuse the APC. The APC should be used to quickly transport a squad to the objective and then cover the MCOMM after it's armed.

I actually won a few times on attackers thanks to a team that worked together and listened to the APC idea. I don't think the map is all that bad when the players play it correctly, but some small tweaks need to be made in the beginning to assure it's a fun map since we all know that the players will never change how they play.

I just really hope the conquest maps aren't so linear and have points all over the map like BF2 which I'm sure they will. The problem with BC2's tacked on conquest is that the flags are all in a straight line with only 3 of them for the most part. One on U.S. side, one in middle, and one on the Russian side so it's extremely easy for people to camp the middle flag and make sure NO SIDE gets the point.

Real Conquest over Rush but I only really played Rush on BC2 because of the issues above.

Xux

It'd be cool if co-op had you play as a couple of Russian or PLA soldiers attacking Paris and New York and whatever.

Jibbed

For anyone interested in lower-spec performance, here's my laptop:

Toshiba Satellite Pro L650-1CG
i3-350m 2.26Ghz
ATI Mobility Radeon 5650HD
4GB RAM

Min FPS - 20
Max FPS - 37
Average FPS - 29 ('Low' graphical settings at 1280x720 - external monitor)

Yeah, that framerate isn't exactly ideal but I still had a blast. It was more than playable compared to other games which perform similarly.

Izayoi

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
Expexting my 580 and 2600k tomorrrow and will have the rest of the parts in the next few weeks. Hope its worth it!
It is definitely worth it. GTX 580 coupled with the i7-2600k is pretty much as good as it gets in terms of performance right now, and will remain that way for the rest of the year most likely (not including the dual-GPU cards).

Also bought a 2600k and a gainward gtx 580 phantom in anticipation to BF3 hopefully I can play this game with steady 60 FPS, high quality with lots of action on screen.

Jtrizzy

I'm pretty excited. My goal is 60 fps in 720p3d and 60 in 1080p2d, but I'm sure it will take another 580 to pull that off. I hope some of the BC2 PS3 crowd makes the transition though, we have a great crew, all of whom I'm sure will be picking this up regardless.

Jibbed

The_Squirrel_Menace said:
Also bought a 2600k and a gainward gtx 580 phantom in anticipation to BF3 hopefully I can play this game with steady 60 FPS, high quality with lots of action on screen.

I'd expect way more than 60fps with that setup, the E3 demo used something similar and DICE would've made sure it was as smooth as possible.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Izayoi said:
Where have you been, son? I hope it shows up in the Gamescon build.

I was busy doing work and shit.

ColeTheMole said:
Old news. Some developer said commrose is build in but not yet planned for final release. :/

Source?

As far as i know DICE always said they're not sure about commo rose cause of the BF2 spam.

Manager

Asgaro said:

It would be awesome if one of the classes could have something similar as an ability (something faster than forcing you to re-ammo four times). Trenches on the battlefield could possibly be awesome (or just suck).

Foxholes should be pretty quick to do though, will be interesting to see if people will do this.

NBtoaster said:
I'm sure what the big deal about "commo rose" is. Never played BF2.

It was an easy and fast way of communicating, instead of just having one all-in-all button.

http://bf3blog.com/2011/05/bf3-wish-q-communication-command-commo-rose/

This was removed in Bad Company 2, where the player would simply point at an object and hit Q. If you wanted ammo, you first had to find a player who could resupply you, only then could you ask for ammo. And this only worked some of the time. There was no way of going in-depth with the communication between players, not even a simple way of saying “thanks” when another player helped out with something.

Almost fills me with rage when I read that, such a stupid decision. Communication and teamwork has always been important in the BF games, and DICE took that out of BC2 a little.

Manager

Keasar said:
Awesome!
I actually thought about it after the alpha when I saw all the images of craters. Should have tried to implement it while I had the chance. Oh well, gonna be awesome to try in the beta. :D

Defenders in rush should have good use of it, very nice.

zugzug

What the hell is with origin store. I goto the website I click the login button at top right and website just slams on blank white page. argh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom