• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Fersis said:
bfbc2game20100518074735.jpg

Sorry for the image size :0

EDIT: Oh the Carl Gustav is a Swedish weapon.. ok that explains why is so good.

I love you, Uncle Carl.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
RibbedHero said:
Quick question in between all the cover art:

If the statements early in the thread are true about there being an Infantry only mode, would the engineer be next to useless in such a mode?
Engineers are great for infantry only modes, at least they were in squad deathmatch in BC2. Having a quiet weapon, along with a rocket launcher, is pretty good for killing people.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Engineers have SMGs which are superior weapons in CQB.

Not that I have any idea why anyone would want to play infantry only... good god that's when these games are at their worst. Vehicles or bust.

Captain Pants said:
Engineers are great for infantry only modes, at least they were in squad deathmatch in BC2. Having a quiet weapon, along with a rocket launcher, is pretty good for killing people.

Only problem in BC2 is that most servers have rules against people using the rockets against infantry, Something I always thought was idiotic. So I can't use my rocket to hit infantry behind walls or in groups or anything but assault guys are allowed to use their grenade launchers all day? ok....

LordCanti

Evolved1 said:

Not that I have any idea why anyone would want to play infantry only... good god that's when these games are at their worst. Vehicles or bust.

SMG's had more damage than any other weapon (save shotguns) at close range in BC2, didn't they? I did a lot of raping with some of the better SMG's, once I got magnum ammo.

As for infantry combat, it is much improved in BF3 over past battlefield games. Honestly, I wouldn't mind playing an infantry only mode, if only as a change-up every now and then from the vehicle modes.

Evolved1 said:

it's not surprising. i tried to convince my friend to play BC2 but he hates vehicles. he thinks most vehicles in video game are cheap ways to get kills. (the only ones he doesn't dislike are halo warthogs)

Kibbles

Menelaus said:
So has game pad support with no assist been confirmed before this tweet? Hadn't heard anything definitive.

62Aka.jpg
ew, those control like shit with no aim assist. Although I guess, if you want to play with controllers, just play console.

RS4-

Would be pretty cool if they have maps that are as big or bigger than something like Heavy Metal and make it more vehicle focused.

I'd use a BF2 example but I don't remember overall map sizes, haven't played it in years.

Tank wars with helos and jets flying around, with the occasional anti-vehicle personnel.

dangerbyrnes said:
it's not surprising. i tried to convince my friend to play BC2 but he hates vehicles. he thinks most vehicles in video game are cheap ways to get kills. (the only ones he doesn't dislike are halo warthogs)

I primarily play as an engineer and I'm the exact opposite. I love the big vehicular Rush maps and loathe the infantry only stuff in BC2.

I love defense and make it my job to personally destroy every vehicle.
I'm rarely in a large vehicle on offense however, I primarily stick with the quads and jet skis.

RS4- said:
Would be pretty cool if they have maps that are as big or bigger than something like Heavy Metal and make it more vehicle focused.

I'd use a BF2 example but I don't remember overall map sizes, haven't played it in years.

Tank wars with helos and jets flying around, with the occasional anti-vehicle personnel.

Heavy Metal really reminded me of a BF2 map as far as size goes. Here's hoping we get another map where we start on a aircraft carrier, I loved those maps

woober

Now that engineers get to have anti-air rockets and with bigger conquest maps, I wonder if each team will be allowed to pilot more than 2 jets per team.

Detox

Judging from the alpha I thought the gunplay had been sufficiently improved to warrant an infantry only mode. The only thing is they would need to have areas in the larger maps that can be sectioned off for it, with the variety a typical map from COD would contain.

RS4-

Detox said:
Judging from the alpha I thought the gunplay had been sufficiently improved to warrant an infantry only mode. The only thing is they would need to have areas in the larger maps that can be sectioned off for it, with the variety a typical map from COD would contain.

BF2 had scaled maps right, 16, 24 and 32 or something like that?

LordCanti

I just watched some BF2 footage to jog my memory. Wow does it look awful. It doesn't seem to play that great either, but at the time, it was amazing.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
ii Stryker said:
I primarily play as an engineer and I'm the exact opposite. I love the big vehicular Rush maps and loathe the infantry only stuff in BC2.

I love defense and make it my job to personally destroy every vehicle.
I'm rarely in a large vehicle on offense however, I primarily stick with the quads and jet skis.

I'm the same way. I've spent enough time blowing up tanks that I don't ride in them very often because I know how quick they can get taken out. I feel a lot safer on a quad.

LordCanti

Keasar said:
....Now when I think about it, have this question actually been asked? Are the maps in BF3 scalable like in BF2?

They should be. It's all really just a matter of putting up invisible fences after all. For instance, they could do a deathmatch level that is just the subway and ticket counter from Metro.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Kibbles said:
ew, those control like shit with no aim assist. Although I guess, if you want to play with controllers, just play console.

I play BC2 primarily on PS3 and don't use aim assist... I turn it off.

It's not necessary and people who are good with pads don't need it (in fact it usually throws me off in games where it's heavy). A gamepad will be at a competitive disadvantage vs m&kb, but there's something to be said about how preference relates to one's enjoyment of a game. It might just be comfort. It's like pc guys who turn retarded when they pick up a gamepad. Even if the gamepad was better for a particular game, they'd probably rather use what they were already accustomed with. Besides, BF is not Quake. Gamepad will probably lose in CQB confrontations, but there are other ways to be successful in these games.

Keasar said:
....Now when I think about it, have this question actually been asked? Are the maps in BF3 scalable like in BF2?

I'm sure this has been addressed. Its been stated that the console maps are PC maps scaled to 24 players.

Keasar

LordCanti said:
They should be. It's all really just a matter of putting up invisible fences after all. For instance, they could do a deathmatch level that is just the subway and ticket counter from Metro.
Yeah but have they actually confirmed that the maps can scale depending on number of players allowed on the server? 16, 32 and 64 in the case of conquest maps. Has the question even been asked to DICE is what I wonder.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. So engineers are still useful, though I'd argue that they may suffer a little in an infantry only mode.

While I usually prefer vehicle maps, sometimes I don't feel like having to deal with a heli or tank. I guess infantry only team deathmatch would work best as Rush and Conquest would kinda suck without vehicles.

ksimm

Damn you EA, emailing me with thanks for playing Alpha... now have 48 hour early access by being a mug and downloading on Origin.

£39.99 bargain. Doh! I never learn.

Kibbles

Evolved1 said:
I play BC2 primarily on PS3 and don't use aim assist... I turn it off.

It's not necessary and people who are good with pads don't need it (in fact it usually throws me off in games where it's heavy). A gamepad will be at a competitive disadvantage vs m&kb, but there's something to be said about how preference relates to one's enjoyment of a game. It might just be comfort. It's like pc guys who turn retarded when they pick up a gamepad. Even if the gamepad was better for a particular game, they'd probably rather use what they were already accustomed with. Besides, BF is not Quake. Gamepad will probably lose in CQB confrontations, but there are other ways to be successful in these games.
Hmm all I know is that I try and play Halo 1 with a Gamepad and it sucks. Might just be the controls aren't suited for a controller and not the aim assist, I don't know. I didn't know BC2 had an aim assist option, I might try that out on 360 to see how it is.

Xux

These boxart posts are more annoying than PC spec talk. I didn't think that was possible.

Anyway, infantry only sounds pretty cool as does TDM; it'll be fun after getting frustrated going against half a team's worth of Engineers rushing my team of mostly Recons with vehicles.

Asgaro

I'm gonna ask my question again since it was lost in the boxart madness...

I have an xbox360 controller for on PC. but I never would have thought of using it to control jets, if I hadn't seen these comments about it.

So a xbox360 controller would work a lot better than mouse + keyboard? Even if it isnt a joystick?

LordCanti

Asgaro said:
I'm gonna ask my question again since it was lost in the boxart madness...

I have an xbox360 controller for on PC. but I never would have thought of using it to control jets, if I hadn't seen these comments about it.

So a xbox360 controller would work a lot better than mouse + keyboard? Even if it isnt a joystick?

If the game has proper support, sure. A real jet is flown using a stick after all (that is why some people buy joysticks to use with the jets/heli's in games).

Jet and games.

Although it didn't make its way to Cologne under its own steam, this fighter jet Mig 21 will surely be one of the main attractions on this year's Gamescom. A game developer is using this aeroplane to promote its latest game. According to their statement, they managed to have the jet transported from Berlin to Cologne for a mere 5 digit amount - on an articulated lorry.

to quote John Hammond - No expenses spared

Nabs said:

Been too long since being CG'ed and screaming "DAMMIT NABS".

Added some of the newer info to the OP under Latest News/Updates. Been sick past few days, but not much BF3 news has come out anyways. Gonna add the Gamescom info now.

Question:

Is it possible to play BF2 with Windows 7... ? Because I can't even install it. I remember registering the game with EA's thing years ago in the case they would offer some sort of download for a compatible installer.

SLEEPS7ALK3R said:
Question:

Is it possible to play BF2 with Windows 7... ? Because I can't even install it. I remember registering the game with EA's thing years ago in the case they would offer some sort of download for a compatible installer.

Hmmm, I don't think I've had any problems playing it (installed from disc and EADM) on my Win 7 64-bit comp. It's uninstalled currently, though.

Mr. Snrub said:
Hmmm, I don't think I've had any problems playing it (installed from disc and EADM) on my Win 7 64-bit comp. It's uninstalled currently, though.

I see... What's the latest patch? 1.5 or something like that?

I installed BF2 with the disc copy and it works perfectly and despite what some evil people here wants you to believe : It's still good fun.

Don't know how newsworthy or official this is, but from the Official Battlefield twitter account:

@typicalkissfan Beta launches in early September. For more information check out the blog: http://bit.ly/qi9T9B ^jy

Have we heard about it being early vs late in the month before?

Sethos

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Don't know how newsworthy or official this is, but from the Official Battlefield twitter account:

Definitely news, we've heard rumours from EA reps about late, 25th etc.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mr. Snrub said:

The date we had heard before was September 25th so this is very good news. I can't wait to play it. I guess it's going to be more of a beta than a demo then since there's a bit more time before launch. Either that or it's going to run for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom