• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
Highlaw said:
Battlefield_Wall_E.gif

24y5na9.jpg

500 hours in Photoshop.

NICE lol.

LordCanti

SneakyStephan said:
Honestly I'd rather not see a look of horror on the face of a computer generated char when I stab it.
Keep it a videogame please.

Pfft. I want a look of shocked horror, followed by him writhing on the ground. There would be a quick time event button, that if pushed, would have my guy lean in real close, where the dying player would gasp out the words "tell my family...I...love....ggguhhhhh"

My character would then look into the camera from the third person, cock an eyebrow, and say "well...that was dramatic"

vidal said:
They don't have a history of many 15 dollar map packs. In comparison to Activision at least.
EA instead has a history of $10 map packs going back much further than Activision.

Loxley said:
Yep, Bad Company 2 was the first Battlefield game to have any blood at all, not even BC1 had it.
Battlefield 2 actually had small puffs of blood.

SapientWolf said:
Because it was a T rated franchise until Bad Company. I'm guessing the language earned it an M this time.
Yeah it seems they just added a whole lot of unnecessary language to Bad Company 2 just to get it an M since Modern Warfare got an M. It's happening a whole lot this gen.

Highlaw

Banned
Starfish_Oxide said:
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Can't wait.
I'll replace every Aircraft/Helicopter gatling gun sound with "huehuehueheuhue"

Every explosion with "Girugamesh!"

And every infantry weapon shot with "Wort!", burst fire mode would sound like an Elite.

Automatic shouted orders from players replaced by Worms Armageddon voices

Glorious.

Even if DICE said the contrary, jets seem slower... especially @1:12 when the tank is shooting one. Going to have to trust them on this one.

J-Rzez

Where will the bloodiest battles take part? At the objectives, or at the spawn when everyone's trying to get into the most sought after aircraft in games, the A-10?

G_Berry

Banned
SensualSeduction said:
Fuck me,no way they can balance all that

With 64 players, there will be too much shit happening at once to worry about balance lol.

The usual vocal minority will whine about something though. Then something else.

Also, HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGG!

Enco

G_Berry said:
With 64 players, there will be too much shit happening at once to worry about balance lol.

The usual vocal minority will whine about something though. Then something else.

Also, HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGG!
Yup.

No matter what, people will complain. Things are looking good. Can't wait for this.

Smokey

Can someone with a Twitter account ask the devs if SLI will be implemented properly at launch? They prob won't answer, but I'm curious.

Woo-Fu

Banned
G_Berry said:
#1 Noob-tubing
#2 Overpowered jets
#3 Overpowered helicopters
#4 Dolphin-diving
#5 Armor whores
#6 Spawncamping
#7 Snipers useless to team
#8 C4 tank kills
#9 Cartillary
#10 $15 map packs every couple months that fragment the online community.

Smokey said:
Can someone with a Twitter account ask the devs if SLI will be implemented properly at launch? They prob won't answer, but I'm curious.
I hope it is, as I have 560 TI's. Almost certain one won't do the job (solid 30 FPS with all settings turned to max, no/low AA). Not sure if two will do the job either.

LordCanti

SensualSeduction said:
Fuck me,no way they can balance all that

They've promised to watch balance issues like a hawk after launch. We shall see.

I think it's going to be a matter of rock paper scissors in terms of vehicles, and if one of those three becomes too powerful, they'll have to adjust. Just like always, if your team has a moron in the planes (and thus no air support) things could get kind of bad really quick.

goldsoundz said:
I hope it is, as I have 560 TI's. Almost certain one won't do the job (solid 30 FPS with all settings turned to max, no/low AA). Not sure if two will do the job either.

At what resolution? You should be fine at 1080p or so with a single 560ti, if your goal is 30fps. With two, I'd think that a solid 60fps would be a no brainer.

Jtrizzy

validation of $1,700 build I should be receiving tomorrow. My 2600k and 580 are just sitting here waiting for everything else to arrive.

Smokey

goldsoundz said:

Well I'm curious since I will most likely get another card to run the game at max and 60fps. I would think they would incorporate SLI at launch seeing that they are demoing the game at GC on SLI 580s.

LordCanti

Smokey said:
Well I'm curious since I will most likely get another card to run the game at max and 60fps. I would think they would incorporate SLI at launch seeing that they are demoing the game at GC on SLI 580s.

That's more up to Nvidia than it is DICE, isn't it? Or does the developer supply Nvidia with the SLI profiles?

(I can't even start thinking about SLI. It would bankrupt me, when combined with the cost of the projector I'm planning to put in, and the sandy bridge CPU/mobo I still probably need to buy)

Jtrizzy

Smokey said:
I really don't want to add another 580, but I get the feeling I will need one to max this at 60/1080p and 720/3D.

LordCanti

I'm still holding out hope that a single GTX 580 will run at least the multiplayer fine at maxed settings (non-3D). The single player may be a different story.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
LordCanti said:
I'm still holding out hope that a single GTX 580 will run at least the multiplayer fine at maxed settings (non-3D). The single player may be a different story.
im betting a single 580 will max everything at 1080 60 fps

edit: but then again im oblivious to the alpha spec info

1-D_FTW

Enco said:
Yup.

No matter what, people will complain. Things are looking good. Can't wait for this.

People will complain because Dice is absolute shit at balancing planes. Even after Desert Combat showed them how it was done, they still fuck it up with every iteration.

Soi-Fong

Would a single GTX 580 be able to run this game at max settings and 60 fps? I'm just wondering as I'll be building a new PC soon (not only for BF3, but also for college as well to run Maya).

Smokey

Jtrizzy said:
I really don't want to add another 580, but I get the feeling I will need one to max this at 60/1080p and 720/3D.

I'll be adding another 580 as I plan to run this on a 3 monitor setup. Pretty sure I won't hit 60fps in that scenario but the 3 screens of gameplay in front of me would probably amaze me to the point that i'd be ok. One a single screen though 2 580s would definitely hit 60fps at 1080p.

LordCanti said:
That's more up to Nvidia than it is DICE, isn't it? Or does the developer supply Nvidia with the SLI profiles?

Hmm...guess that might be true. Nvidia releases driver updates for SLI support, not the devs.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
LordCanti said:
Wait, weren't they running the game at max settings on a SINGLE 580 at E3? My 5670 rig should be able to handle the game around medium settings at 1440x900 (horray 1gig of DDR5) provided I upgrade to a quad core.

LordCanti

Soi-Fong said:
Would a single GTX 580 be able to run this game at max settings and 60 fps? I'm just wondering as I'll be building a new PC soon (not only for BF3, but also for college as well to run Maya).

We don't know yet.

I think it's a fairly safe bet that with very minor sacrifices made to visual quality (maybe less AA, for instance) it should be able to get there.

If that trailer was made from the beta build (and it's looking likely that it was), we should know how the 580 performs here pretty shortly.

Soi-Fong

LordCanti said:
We don't know yet.

I think it's a fairly safe bet that with very minor sacrifices made to visual quality (maybe less AA, for instance) it should be able to get there.

If that trailer was made from the beta build (and it's looking likely that it was), we should know how the 580 performs here pretty shortly.

Ahh that'd be nice. An SLI set-up would be amazing, but that would go way beyond budget. After seeing this on 60 fps, it looks so different compared to the 30 fps.

LordCanti

Sai said:
Can you run this game on a window? I'm hoping to run it at a lower resolution while uppin' the details...

I don't think that would help performance compared to running at a lower resolution in full screen mode. Unless scaling takes more GPU performance than I'm aware of.

To answer your question: yes, I'm sure the game will have windowed mode.

Kyaw

Also from the screens and rewatching of the trailer, there are THREE seats/slots available for Main Battle Tanks.

What's up with that?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Kyaw said:
Also from the screens and rewatching of the trailer, there are THREE seats/slots available for Main Battle Tanks.

What's up with that?
Driver, Gunner, and MG operator?

That would be pretty cool actually. Requiring people to work together to position and fire. It would also allow the gunner to focus on gunning and the driver to focus on positioning and avoiding AT ordinance.

LordCanti

Kyaw said:

What's up with that?

Mounted machine gun, main gun/driver, and maybe front facing machine gun?

Hopefully not driver/main gun/machine gun.

Who is going to want to just drive and not shoot anything?

Ark

LordCanti said:
Mounted machine gun, main gun/driver, and maybe front facing machine gun?

Hopefully not driver/main gun/machine gun.

Who is going to want to just drive and not shoot anything?

drive+me+closer_+i+want+to+hit+them+with+my+sword.png

fin said:
I hope hope hope the 580 can run this at 1080p 60fps.

considering most PC gamers won't even have a 580 i would say its a safe bet it will run the game easily on high settings. If it didn't, then the game wont sell well because nobody would be able to run it.

LordCanti said:
At one point in the interview, it sounded like he let slip that there would be planes in the co-op mode at some point. Could be interesting.

I'm definitely hoping for a map maker, so that we don't have to rely on DICE for new maps. I have a feeling that EA is going to keep that from happening though, so that they can sell DLC to a captive audience.

Yeah hopefully they do something fun with co-op. I just thought they tried way too hard in the presentation with all the "chatter" when 90% of it was unnecessary. Definitely looking forward to single player campaign though. I wish they showed more of that, unless I missed it at work.

I'm also hoping for them throwing a bone to modders. I sort of don't blame them too much if they don't give a complete map editor just because at this point they're losing guaranteed money from the players perfectly happy to pay $15 for map packs (it still makes me sad to think about this nonsense and BF3 sort of harkening back to PC FPS dominance days when charging for maps wasn't even a possibility).

BTW was it confirmed their PC setups used 6970s? Would be nice to know since it brings maxed out settings to a more reasonable level, aka those of us without a 580.

Josh7289

KingOfKong said:
considering most PC gamers won't even have a 580 i would say its a safe bet it will run the game easily on high settings. If it didn't, then the game wont sell well because nobody would be able to run it.
Wasn't nobody able to run Crysis at 60 fps maxed out at launch?

I don't see why this would be any different. In fact it's a almost a good thing if it can't be run at max on normal cards at launch, since it'll stay relevant further into the future. People were still talking about Crysis as a gold standard I think even last year.

LordCanti

Josh7289 said:

I don't see why this would be any different. In fact it's a almost a good thing if it can't be run at max on normal cards at launch, since it'll stay relevant further into the future. People were still talking about Crysis as a gold standard I think even last year.

Shit...I couldn't even get 30fps when Crysis launched. It was a beautiful slideshow for a couple of years, for anyone without a lot of money to put into it.

Josh7289 said:

not even comparable. its a totally different era as far as hardware is concerned. not only that but we have seen footage on the PS3 running it quite well, so the game is going to be pretty well optimized from what it looks like. People are overestimating the demands of this game in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom