• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 at PAX Prime a.k.a. WTF DICE

GrizzNKev

Banned
So, this demo was "on Xbox One." Except it was the PC version of the game. It crashed to the Win 8 desktop and the UI had mice and keyboard keys. And when you died it showed the BF4 @ E3 ad. So it's the E3 PC demo with an Xbone controller hooked up. And it's 8v8 on a full-sized Siege of Shanghai conquest map. With nothing unlocked. No scope on the sniper, no medkits, no rocket launchers, nothing. And I was thrown in halfway through a match. I encountered like 4 enemies the whole time. Biggest waste of an hour in line ever.

I had to rant because why is a demo for a mega-blockbuster game so damn embarrassing?

This was the screen shown upon death:

4ZuNvXZ.jpg

le rebbit images

IN&OUT

Banned
where is TheKyle when you need him!

EDIT: also I though that all X1 units are running REAL game code on actual dev kits? been told that several times in Gaf.

Didn't major nelson say it was a 64 player online demo? I swear in his Pax announcement he did cause I didn't think consoles supported that many players

Edit: Yep....

Battlefield 4: Known for their world-class multiplayer, DICE is bringing Battlefield 4’s epic 64-player battles, vehicular combat and all-out warfare to North American fans this week. Gamers will have a chance to go hands-on with the “Siege of Shanghai” beta launching in early October. With the release of Battlefield 4 this holiday, players will experience an all-new level of destruction and dynamic environments with a game-changing concept called Levolution, and for the first time for Battlefield console gamers, 64-players running at 60 frames-per-second on Xbox One. #BF4

http://majornelson.com/2013/08/27/xbox-one-at-pax-prime-on-august-30-september-2/

My friend's cousin who lives in Germany went to Gamescom on day 2, just in time to play Obliteration. He met Jackrfrags who played the PS4 build, and he told him it looks great, kind of like the PC version but on medium settings. He said the only thing lost was that the textures weren't as crisp (PCs are on Ultra), but everything else: the gameplay, 64 players, water simulation, 60 FPS, etc. was all there. He said it looked 4 times better than BF3 on consoles.

So, just wait one more month to see for yourselves. Even though I don't play BF on console, I think it'll look great.

IN&OUT

Banned
Not really but the design makes it uncomfortable to hold and pull triggers on. Here is a graphical representation explaining why you will accidentally pull triggers all the time on xbox one.

Trigger finger marked in red.

TwxixyH.jpg

I can see that would cause accidental press. also I thought grips were a little short.

Coiote

How the hell will this game be ready for launch?

Dice, please, delay the PS4/X1 versions. This situation is embarrassing.

SMZC

Not really but the design makes it uncomfortable to hold and pull triggers on. Here is a graphical representation explaining why you will accidentally pull triggers all the time on xbox one.

TwxixyH.jpg

So, does this mean Dual Shock 4 is the superior controller?

Mik_Pad

Banned
Seeing the same building collapse again and again is hardly something exciting. The maps look ugly as hell to. Something about this game looks so drab. Maybe its the art style.
Bad Company 2 art style was way better than BF3 and BF4.

TwxixyH.jpg

I was afraid this would be the case when they revealed the thing. =/

I have a strange feeling that this game is going to feel very rushed..

I have a fear that most of the launch games for ps4 and xbox one will not live up to expectations.

the meltdowns to come this holiday system..

oh boy..

TwxixyH.jpg

They shouldn't have fucked with this area of the controller:

top-580-100.jpg

It was great the way it was. From the impressions I've read, the bumpers are harder to hit, it's harder to feel the difference between the bumpers and triggers (since they bleed into each other), the triggers have less travel and resistance (making them feel worse to pull). Such a shame.

I have a strange feeling that this game is going to feel very rushed..

I have a fear that most of the launch games for ps4 and xbox one will not live up to expectations.

the meltdowns to come this holiday system..

oh boy..

I don't believe that at all. If you're subconsciously thinking that for that IGN article, I'd say you will be surprised. I've been told by a friend that the PS4 build looks great, kind of like the PC version but on Medium. Nothing is being cut off from the game to free up resources, and there's the constant 60 FPS. Just one month until the beta and we shall see.

TwxixyH.jpg

Significantly.

I'd say DS4 = X360

DS3 = XB1

In terms of comfort.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

In other words, in order to use the triggers on the XB1 controller, you need to wrap your fingers around it the same way you wrap your fingers around the 360 controller's bumpers? I can see why that might make people accidentally pull the triggers.

Iacobellis

They shouldn't have fucked with this area of the controller:

top-580-100.jpg

It was great the way it was. From the impressions I've read, the bumpers are harder to hit, it's harder to feel the difference between the bumpers and triggers (since they bleed into each other), the triggers have less travel and resistance (making them feel worse to pull). Such a shame.

Is it weird if I say the new controller looks less elegant than one that came out in 2005? The overall shape and design seems much more bulky.

SMZC

Significantly.

I'd say DS4 = X360

DS3 = XB1

In terms of comfort.

Interesting.

What about the Xbox One's shoulder buttons? No one ever seems to talk about those, and I've always thought LB and RB were the worst part of the (otherwise great) 360 controller, along with the d-pad. I know the latter is improved, but are LB and RB any better in the new controller? Are they comparable to the Dual Shock's L1 and R1?

GrizzNKev

Banned
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

In other words, in order to use the triggers on the XB1 controller, you need to wrap your fingers around it the same way you wrap your fingers around the 360 controller's bumpers? I can see why that might make people accidentally pull the triggers.

Indeed. It's a longer reach due to the curvature of the controller and the placement of the apex of the trigger. It's less of a trigger pull and more of a full-finger squeeze. It felt awkward.

Interesting.

What about the Xbox One's shoulder buttons? No one ever seems to talk about those, and I've always thought LB and RB were the worst part of the (otherwise great) 360 controller, along with the d-pad. I know the latter is improved, but are LB and RB any better in the new controller? Are they comparable to the Dual Shock's L1 and R1?

No complaints about the bumpers. They felt pretty much the same as the 360.

I really wish DICE would just show us some console footage already. Get on Fallon already and at least show us some single player footage at the very least. They must have something optimized.

Top Bottom