• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 Kinect settings revealed

satam55

Banned
The DS4 doesn't have a microphone, it has a speaker. You need to attach a headset with a microphone

Sony is going to allow voice commands on PS4 via Headsets & the PS Eye Camera. So there's no excuse for developers not put voice commands in the PS4 version.

Between Titanfall, BF4 (Kinect), Peggle 2, PvZ Garden Warefare exclusivos so far EA is doing a better job selling Xbox One than Microsoft. The initial reveal was an EA Sports fest as well. Then again Mattrick was an EA guy so I guess it isn't that surprising.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Voice commands to make voice commands? Why not just use your mic?

Edit: ooh headtracking.

They're not voice commands(as in saying things to your team). What they are is most of the things you'd call up with the commo rose. Being able to do those with voice means you don't have to have the rose on the screen, nor do you have to use buttons for it, freeing up buttons and time for other things.

Nags

Banned
What about PS Camera? Does it enable same/similar functions? Aside from voice commands, which shouldn't require anything special as the DS4 has a microphone...

It's a speaker not a mic on the DS4, or are you referring to the mono headset?

-Deimos

They're not voice commands(as in saying things to your team). What they are is most of the things you'd call up with the commo rose. Being able to do those with voice means you don't have to have the rose on the screen, nor do you have to use buttons for it, freeing up buttons and time for other things.

Half the commands on the commo rose don't do anything but give a voice command. My original thought was why would you need to make a voice command to give a voice command. For example: Saying "Go Go Go" in real life to make the character to say "Go Go Go". Everyone heard you the first time we don't need to hear you AND the character say it.

Then it was pointed out that some commands give a visual indicator. I forgot about that in my first post. It's still funny how roger, go go go, and thank you have a voice command.

Karak

Head tracking alone is a brilliant and useful addition if the leaning is enable in a good way...thats going to make it pretty fucking immerse.

Yeah, could be cool if I lived alone but my wife already thinks I'm an idiot for playing this shit. Might be the final straw if I start shouting at the tv every 23 seconds lol.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'd seriously be too embarrassed to use this Kinect stuff around my friends or family.

Imagine my wife walking past me and seeing me leaning from side to side standing in the middle of the room holding a controller screaming for a MEDIC or MORE AMMO.

Yeah, since people look so normal when playing traditional controller video games...

lcHZk.gif

post-26233-mickey-mouse-up-all-night-gami-iQ3M.gif

...As long as I'm having fun, I don't care.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
For people wondering how head tracking will work. Look down at "freelook sensitivity" and there's your answer. Crank it up so little movements of your head are full on head turns in game. For people who have used this on PC games, this is pretty cool.

mbmonk

Head tracking and free look? If that is what I think it is and it works, this could get me to warm up to Kinect.

same. it has to be implemented properly but I would love it be more widespread in fps and first person games and views

edit: I hope they allow infantry to use it and not just pilots

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I really think that head tracking doesn't work well in a classic screen.
Good head tracking is only possible with an OCULUS RIFT.

Voice commands could be interesting (if not eccessive), but they can be done by any microphone.

Keihart

I doubt it. Kinect can do head tracking with skeleton recognition. Not gonna happen without a depth camera.

Well..PS4 camera it's a stereo camera, so it can sense as much depth as your two eyes can, being limited by the resolution, distance of the object and how good the algorithim being used is.

Ubersnug

I really think that head tracking doesn't work well in a classic screen.
Good head tracking is only possible with an OCULUS RiFT

You only have to see the ARMA II head tracking video to see how well it CAN work.

This could be an awesome feature if implemented well enough.

Im wondering if the PS4 will get the same thing when you add the camera?

Depends on how easy Sony made the Move API for developers to use. Everything we have heard from Kinect in the past and present is that developers can throw together Voice Recognition and basic Camera Tracking in an hour or two.

Fredrik

The upside of having Kinect included in every box, we'll see lots more subtle use of Kinect like this in regular games and not just those horrible 100% focused Kinect games. Could be great.

As long as you have 2 cameras, you can get depth tracking.

The issue is how good the information is when received from the two inputs and the software that utilizes it. I personally see no problem with the Pseye being able to track head movement.

Now...will it be as good as the Kinect 2.0? Not a chance. The Ps4 eye is basically two good webquality cameras with a decent mic.

falconbox

Banned
The upside of having Kinect included in every box, we'll see lots more subtle use of Kinect like this in regular games and not just those horrible 100% focused Kinect games. Could be great.

Also another good thing about competition. As long as a multiplatform dev is incorporating it for Kinect, I don't imagine that making the leap to including those features for the PS Camera would be that large.

Precisely. I hope we see a lot of these added features that are made easier/possible with Kinect.

Prine

Banned

Yes! development can afford to put resource towards an implementation of features knowing it's available out the box.

What really has me hyped is kojima having access to this tech

I have my doubts that this will work to any degree of satisfaction. TrackIR works because it only uses (or used?) 3 points (reflectors) as reference and it detects small amounts of movement correctly. Kinect has to extrapolate that out of a vast number of approximations. How is that suppose to work flawlessly?

Top Bottom