• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The campaign is objectively better on the principle that QTEs have been reduced to zero (exception being ledges that must be grappled, or doors to be opened), and most encounters are far more open across a wider play space with more going on. It's still Call of Duty linear scripted shootbang, but where Battlefield 3 was bad linear scripted shootbang, this is much better shootbang. Most of the multiplayer mechanics have made it across in some form, as has the equipment. Like, you can "spot" enemies using a scope, giving them tags just like multi. And encounters at least least give you a bit more agency, within the confines of linear shootbang. Where a Battlefield 3 tank encounter would have you pick up the same anti-tank weapon from the same location and shoot the same targets in same way every single time, Battlefield 4 gives you a bit more play space with a tank moving about, and challenges you to find equipment then use that equipment at your own leisure. Wanna run up to it and try and plant C4? How about intercept its path with mines?

I don't want to hype it up because it's still exactly what you'd expect and scripted to hell and back. But it's not the disaster that was Battlefield 3.

vilmer_

Had that issue with the 331.58 drivers and updated to the 331.61 drivers that hit today and it fixed the issue.

These were the 331.58 drivers, I had no idea that .61 was out!!

And you were using 331.65 drivers? They were supposed to fix this issue. I'll follow up with Nvidia

Going to grab the ones from today and that should fix it. Thanks for the help guys, can't wait to dive in to the game without the simulated acid trip :p

repi

These were the 331.58 drivers, I had no idea that .61 was out!!

Going to grab the ones from today and that should fix it. Thanks for the help guys, can't wait to dive in to the game without the simulated acid trip :p

Ok thanks for confirming. The 331.65 drivers specifically includes a fix for this issue

sirap

From what I've seen so far, in-game facial textures don't stand up to this... screenshot... either:

Actually, I think they've improved the facial textures.

7iGDSgJ.jpg

jUifvx2.jpg

g8qWzSR.jpg

EDIT:

They even got Romney in this game!

Leb

I just can't get over seeing Omar as a military man... I mean, he looks like Omar and he talks like Omar but he's kitted out in full tactical garb...

Seriously, though, this is looking so much better than BF3 SP (which, admittedly, isn't all that hard).

Seanspeed

Banned
The OP is wrecked. All I see is:
notfound-temporary.png

I'm waiting on someone to do an im-game comparison to this bullshot :)
I think its safe to say that's no bullshot at this point.

You misunderstood me. I hope that the CPU is the reason for the FPS goging down to 30fps.
Oh ok, I gotcha, my bad.

I think him using all-ultra settings plus 4xMSAA is a big part of it.

EDIT: Just saw he upgraded to a 4GB 770, hmmm, nevermind.

The campaign is objectively better on the principle that QTEs have been reduced to zero (exception being ledges that must be grappled, or doors to be opened), and most encounters are far more open across a wider play space with more going on. It's still Call of Duty linear scripted shootbang, but where Battlefield 3 was bad linear scripted shootbang, this is much better shootbang. Most of the multiplayer mechanics have made it across in some form, as has the equipment. Like, you can "spot" enemies using a scope, giving them tags just like multi. And encounters at least least give you a bit more agency, within the confines of linear shootbang. Where a Battlefield 3 tank encounter would have you pick up the same anti-tank weapon from the same location and shoot the same targets in same way every single time, Battlefield 4 gives you a bit more play space with a tank moving about, and challenges you to find equipment then use that equipment at your own leisure. Wanna run up to it and try and plant C4? How about intercept its path with mines?

I don't want to hype it up because it's still exactly what you'd expect and scripted to hell and back. But it's not the disaster that was Battlefield 3.

my problem with call of duty shootbang was never the mindless on rails nature of it, but just that fact that shooting guys had zero oomph or physicality to it at all. Not even as much as ragdoll physics, just canned death animations.

How is the act of physically shooting guys in BF4 campaign? Beefy?

koryuken

I hope someone can help or provide info...

I tried the VPN trick, was able to get to the BattleLog launcher. Closed the VPN. Tried to launch the game and it gave me an error: Key already in use, please re-enter Game Key. Tried to re-enter game key, it says it is in use. The game is in my list of purchased items... Am i fucked?

I'm hoping that when it actually launches tomorrow, I will be able to play it

This should completely unlock via korean VPN in a little over 30 minutes. NA servers are already up.
I was just wondering if it'd work if you didn't VPN before activating the game. Turns out it won't. The unlock date reverts back.

Maybe you could VPN, start BF4/connect to Battlelog, disconnect from VPN and then keep playing, but I'm not gonna bother with that nonsense.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
my problem with call of duty shootbang was never the mindless on rails nature of it, but just that fact that shooting guys had zero oomph or physicality to it at all. Not even as much as ragdoll physics, just canned death animations.

How is the act of physically shooting guys in BF4 campaign? Beefy?

Shooting dudes is satisfying to me. They seem to take a good few shots, but it still feels good. Headshots drop them quickly, and all the weapons sound glorious.

One last screenshot because holy fuck, now for a break.

batimqr4.png

gossi

I hope someone can help or provide info...

I tried the VPN trick, was able to get to the BattleLog launcher. Closed the VPN. Tried to launch the game and it gave me an error: Key already in use, please re-enter Game Key. Tried to re-enter game key, it says it is in use. The game is in my list of purchased items... Am i fucked?

I'm hoping that when it actually launches tomorrow, I will be able to play it

You have to be VPN'ed in WHEN YOU FIRST START THE GAME (e.g. single player) to activate the Origin key.

gossi

Quick fire PC thoughts:

- 8gb RAM is fine. Ignore the rumours. I've seen the task manager memory usage, including paging - it isn't much.

- I'm getting twice the frame rates I was during the beta. I haven't changed any config on my rig at all.

- I get 60fps 1080p in Auto (which configured everything to 'High') on my GTX 660 rig, with a crap AMD 4170 processor, in single player. Multiplayer is between 40fps-60fps (I'm max 60fps as I'm plugged into a HDMI TV).

- If the Server you're playing on crashes, BF4 hangs, looping the same sound.

- The single player graphics are holy shit.

Quick fire PC thoughts:

- 8gb RAM is fine. Ignore the rumours. I've seen the task manager memory usage, including paging - it isn't much.

- I'm getting twice the frame rates I was during the beta. I haven't changed any config on my rig at all.

- I get 60fps 1080p in Auto (which configured everything to 'High') on my GTX 660 rig, with a crap AMD 4170 processor, in single player. Multiplayer is between 40fps-60fps (I'm max 60fps as I'm plugged into a HDMI TV).

- If the Server you're playing on crashes, BF4 hangs, looping the same sound.

- The single player graphics are holy shit.

this post is making me hard

Bookoo

I was just wondering if it'd work if you didn't VPN before activating the game. Turns out it won't. The unlock date reverts back.

Maybe you could VPN, start BF4/connect to Battlelog, disconnect from VPN and then keep playing, but I'm not gonna bother with that nonsense.

That is what you have to do.

Use the VPN and open Origin and then just disconnect from the VPN. Worked for me.

I tried restarting Origin after loading a game through the Korean VPN, but it reverted the date back to tomorrow.

Sethos

Banned
Game is jawdroppingly beautiful. Any bullshots we've seen are definitely on par with the actual game, minus any jaggies.

Hixx

Had my first go on a 64 player map. Holy rubber banding, Batman! From the chat it doesn't seem like the issue is localised to that certain map or server, either. Not sure about lower player counts but everyone who was chiming in was really negative about it :/

Anyway we won (I came 20th on my team, awwww yeah BF legend), then my game crashed as the next map loaded. :(

EatChildren

Tried to 3200x1800 with 200% resolution scaling.

GPU VRAM in a nutshell:

U9tBu.gif

Can you change the Battlelog binding? I've been trying to use my DS4 to play this and for some obscure reason, the "open battlelog" button is mapped to the same button sprinting is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom