• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 PS4 runs at 720p native [DICE: Incorrect]

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I wonder if an HD7850 will play it at Med/High settings at 60 fps 1080p? I find it very interesting that having set specs to gear the game towards and they couldn't get 1080p to work. Is DICE going to say that the recommended gpu on PC to achieve 60fps and 1080p is 7970/680 or higher, I doubt it.
I have Crossfire 5850s and I can stay over 60fps at 1080p/high settings on BF3. But my average framerate is closer to 100fps. The 7850 is comparable in power.

The best solution would be a dynamic resolution.

GodofWine

if the xb1 version will be on the same lvl as ps4 ill get this just on pc...

supercharge architectures.......sure...

is their a $400 pc that can run BF4 at 60fps @ 1080p on Medium settings??

(i seriously dont know..but im guessing no)

and these are launch titles, so there is improvements to be had at some point.

Orayn

There's no guarantee that either console version will make it all the way to 1080p, though the settings they use are probably closer to high on PC than medium.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Im surprised there even showing PS4 gameplay considering they have the deal with MS

Considering that EA let them show the PS4 version I don't think that it bodes well for the state of the XBO version. I know DICE likes PS4 a lot but usually that doesn't trump what the publisher wants at a trade show.

TheKayle

Banned

no but 600 yes at pretty much maximum setting (at this point supposing looking the hw of the consoles)

I feel like the next-gen will get old really fast and will be annihilated by the Steambox when it is revealed next year. In two years, the PC will be an entire generation ahead of PS4 and XBone.

Publishers will follow the money. You wont see many games specifically created for high end pc's, just like this generation.

GodofWine

There's no guarantee that either console version will make it all the way to 1080p, though the settings they use are probably closer to high on PC than medium.

I figured final resolution could fall short of 1080 (which im OK with personally due to viewing distance..but thats another thread/

no but 600 yes at pretty much maximum setting (at this point supposing looking the hw of the consoles)

Its too bad the market scared off the $599 consoles...

I guess the other way to attack this question is "Can you build a 400 dollar PC (INCLUDING cost for a DS4/xb1 controller) that could compete with these consoles for the next 5 years?" with the assumption that devs will draw more out of the consoles over the next 2 years than on launch titles.

This is a "no", right?? (again, i dont know and yes, I do feel like Im leading the witness with this line of questioning :) )

Publishers will follow the money. You wont see many games specifically created for high end pc's, just like this generation.

not only that but PC's are always held back by minimum required specs. no dev in the right mind would develop a PC game for the absolute bleeding edge tech. Crytek did it twice, but I don't see them doing it ever again.

steambox lol

mazillion

A 400 dollar pc does not equal to a 400 dollar ps4 though. Sony gets deals and mass produces the parts in the ps4 for cheap. So they can make the console for less than 400 (presumably) but the sum of its individual parts would cost a lot more. Plus pcs have other things in them that raise their price

Marleyman

Banned
I had a blast playing with my friends on 360 with BF3 and I know that most of them will not pony up to get an expensive rig to run BF4. I am cool with enjoying the game on the next gen systems.

HariKari

That's crazy, when was this announced? Have they given any details about them?

They are in most every gameplay video that came out of Gamescom. Knives can only really be countered from the front, and it looks like it's impossible to mess it up. So, in short, no more getting insta-killed from a front stab. The rest works as it did in BF3.

jaaz

Great impressions--finally by someone who knows how to play BF. I'm really excited about the reload-continuation change. I don't know how many times my reload is interrupted only to have to go through the animation again. Grenades that explode on contact will make the new Metro map quite interesting!

I bet the CPU in PS4/XB1 is the one holding the game back, plus the scope of the game is huge, 64 players.

Comparisons to KZ SF somewhat proves this in my book.

Considering that EA let them show the PS4 version I don't think that it bodes well for the state of the XBO version. I know DICE likes PS4 a lot but usually that doesn't trump what the publisher wants at a trade show.

EmptySpace knows that Xbone is the lead platform for EA games shown (so far). If anything, RoboPlato should be worried about the PS4 versions of the upcoming EA games.

Rizsparky

They are in most every gameplay video that came out of Gamescom. Knives can only really be countered from the front, and it looks like it's impossible to mess it up. So, in short, no more getting insta-killed from a front stab. The rest works as it did in BF3.

I thought front-stabbing kills in BF3 required two button presses?

From the sounds of it, it's probably something like 900p, and they're aiming for 1080p.

Nothing to see here I guess..

He also said the build was pre-alpha, which means a lot could change before the game is released.

I bet the CPU in PS4/XB1 is the one holding the game back, plus the scope of the game is huge, 64 players.

Comparisons to KZ SF somewhat proves this in my book.

Well, the game is running at 60fps, so I don't think it's CPU limited.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
EmptySpace knows that Xbone is the lead platform for EA games shown (so far). If anything, RoboPlato should be worried about the PS4 versions of the upcoming EA games.

EmptySpace should be careful about the claims he makes... or be worried there might soon be a big empty space where his account used to be.

SiRatul

FOV is likely the last thing that they will be looking at when optimizing the game. The majority of console players aren't even concerned about it anyway.

And why are so many people riding on the supercharged pc architecture thing? That claim is perfectly reasonable. The PS4 is based on standard x86 hardware with a lot of optimization in places where bottlenecks can occure on a normal PC.
If the architecture wasn't superior than they could have just made something like an Alienware X51 with their own OS and called it a day. Wouldn't have taken them longer than a year or so and would hardly have cost as much R&D as the actual PS4 did.
Obviously it's wrong to assume that just because of the architecture the PS4 can make up the raw power difference that exists between its hardware and those 8 tflops PCs that BF4 is running on.
But it's just as wrong to just say that there is nothing like a "supercharged PC architecture" in the PS4 and it's just PR or something like that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Cerny explained what he meant by "supercharged" in at least one recent interview. It's got the ring of a PR buzz-word, but he hasn't been ambiguous about its meaning. He has defined it.

It's not like "the cloud" or some shit like that. But I can see why the word might annoy people.

Jack Frag's opinion on the ps4 version is fair. I expect bf4 on consoles to be great and I don't think future xbone or ps4 owners should stress it. When I built my pc, i was stuck with a 720p monitor, of course I moved to a 1080p monitor but that initial viewing of bf3 at 720p had me flipping out. At the time, that was the best looking thing I had ever seen mind you it was at 720p, the 60fps made the game just look real and I think future next gen console owners will have the same reaction, just don't yell like I was lol

Violater

Somehow even with all the logical responses I just can't seem to care, the game needs to be 1080P 60 FPS. Heck I would much rather a lower player count but I doubt that would make a difference.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

EmptySpace should know that means, all graphics settings being equal, the PS4 version will at least run at a more consistent framerate since the architecture is so similar and the PS4 is significantly more powerful. EmptySpace should also know that DICE, the company that makes the engine that runs nearly every EA game in development and is making BF4, seems to prefer the PS4 by a significant margin. Lead platform does not automatically mean superior version, it's just where development is focused either for a baseline of quality or because more work needs to be done on that platform.

Don't think there's any mention of what the FOV is in consoles.

I hope it's wider now... hell halo 1 on xbox had a better fov than most modern console shooters do on ps3-360 , and it was a much more enjoyable game for it. (it was 70 degrees, still low but not nearly as pathetic as the 55-65 in most games)

That would be something worthwhile to put that extra power over last gen into...
Build a $350 PC that can do that ($50 goes towards the controller)
770 dollar pc, 20 goes to the extra cost of the game on consoles, 400 goes to 8 years of online paywall fees.
And how about backwards compatibility ? What do you value that at?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hope it's wider now... hell halo 1 on xbox had a better fov than most modern console shooters do on ps3-360 , and it was a much more enjoyable game for it. (it was 70 degrees, still low but not nearly as pathetic as the 55-65 in most games)

That would be something worthwhile to put that extra power over last gen into...

BF3's was actually decent on PS3. It was quite a bit wider than most games.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Build a $350 PC that can do that ($50 goes towards the controller)

you planning on playing against bots?

there is this weird thing going on where PC guys (including myself) get dragged in to this turgid battle of attrition on console terms. but what AAA exclusives does PC have, can you max out games for $400. it's like all the arguments are built on the myopic idea of gaming which comes from only feeding on what console manufacturers have deigned suitable to serve you up.

with the x86 format, indie devs are doing easy-peasy recompiles for the PS4 and with the anaemic launch catalogue, suddenly now indie titles - previously the realm of "who gives a fuck about that, have you seen uncharted" are now legitimated by the good grace of console manufacturers.

i'm sure if the PS4 started offering foobar support for music playback, that would be a selling point too. or let you use any USB mic, that would be worth mentioning. what about if it had a pretty good video editing package available for it? pretty neat. that's gotta bump up the value a few dollars. how about a rudimentary modding studio? imagine the possibilities - you don't see that on xbone!

only by rigidly imposing your own blinkered perspective is the value debate even a debate. it's as ludicrous as rolling out the same fistful of conservative big budget exclusives in every argument, proudly flaunting the lack of any idiosyncrasy or nuance in your tastes,

Jack_AG

Banned
FOV is likely the last thing that they will be looking at when optimizing the game. The majority of console players aren't even concerned about it anyway.

And why are so many people riding on the supercharged pc architecture thing? That claim is perfectly reasonable. The PS4 is based on standard x86 hardware with a lot of optimization in places where bottlenecks can occure on a normal PC.
If the architecture wasn't superior than they could have just made something like an Alienware X51 with their own OS and called it a day. Wouldn't have taken them longer than a year or so and would hardly have cost as much R&D as the actual PS4 did.
Obviously it's wrong to assume that just because of the architecture the PS4 can make up the raw power difference that exists between its hardware and those 8 tflops PCs that BF4 is running on.
But it's just as wrong to just say that there is nothing like a "supercharged PC architecture" in the PS4 and it's just PR or something like that.
FOV for consoles is usually smaller due to the nature of the beast: the TV. The farther you sit, the less natural a higher FOV feels. We've seen FOV increases in some FP games while running where the frame rate remains stable so I'm not too concerned about it.

As for the supercharged PC part - it is a direct reference to architecture as you suggest and not power like so many mistake it for. I would have used the term Optimized, myself but meh. I'm not calling those shots.

velociraptor

Jackfrags shares his experience playing BF4 at GC.
Also few words about the PS4 ver. @10:15min ,if interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0gu5RzbPiw&hd=1
Medium settings? Lol, this is getting worse by the day. On 1080p medium settings I imagine my FPS would be minimum 70 on my 6950.

I just want DICE to deliver this game at 1080p native. But I imagined was below 1080p simply due to the fact the settings were closer to the PC version. I'm surprised it isn't even comparable to a Battlefield game even running at high.

Top Bottom