• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 skipping Wii U

Battlefield 4 will not see a release on Wii U, DICE has confirmed.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com last night, creative director Lars Gustavsson explained that the decision to skip Wii U was to "ensure that [the team] deliver something good", rather than "risking" the project by stretching the team too thin.

"I think overall for me as creative director, number one is to deliver a really great game and experience," said Gustavsson on the subject of Battlefield 4 on Wii U. "Sometimes, at least for us, it's focus on what you do well and what you know well, and ensure that you deliver something good than trying a bit too much, stretching yourself too thin and risking it.

"I'd rather play it safe, deliver something really good and then look at the future and what could possibly be done than trying a bit too hard and [failing]."

Battlefield 4 is the latest high-profile multi-platform title to skip Wii U, joining Dead Island: Riptide and Saints Row 4.

Source

DICE isn't currently looking at bringing Battlefield 4 to Wii U and hasn't confirmed plans to launch the game on next-gen consoles.

Studio general manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson told GamesRadar: "We are not actively looking at the Wii U right now."

He said that the next entry in the military shooter series "will release on the platforms that we feel are suitable for the gaming experience that we have".

This presumably includes PS4 and the next Xbox, but DICE isn't willing to discuss next-gen plans yet. Asked if the game will be available on upcoming Sony and Microsoft consoles, Troedsson told the Guardian.

"We're in very interesting times right now. We're on the verge of something brand new. We've been part of these transitions before and we know that great things come out of them. But we're DICE - we've been around for 20 years and we're not that quick to jump on hype trains - we move at a steady pace, we tread carefully."

Source

I thought EA and Nintendo were playing nice with each other.

This sort of thing makes me wonder if Wii U only has 160 shaders.

Thus PS360 ports would be more of a pain than they're worth, rather than a doddle.

I guess the CPU and having to fuss with the tablet controller could also play the same role.

Elginer

So Nintendo's Wii U plan of barn stormer third parties continues to go swimmingly I see. Nintendo just can't catch a damn break with the Wii U.

Nintendo needs to start finding new talents to get more first party games out. Cause it looks like they aren't getting any third party support.

RiverBed

Banned
Makes sense if FPS don't sell very well on U. Also, they are making the game for 5 platforms already. That's quite a task.

StevieP

Banned
Lol.

And yet a PS4/XB3 version (who will have an install base of or near zero at this game's launch) is incoming. Good stuff, EA.

specialguy said:
This sort of thing makes me wonder if Wii U only has 160 shaders.

Thus PS360 ports would be more of a pain than they're worth, rather than a doddle.

I guess the CPU and having to fuss with the tablet controller could also play the same role.

No. The system can handle the port, dude.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
For every game announcement remaining for this year, I now expect a subsequent no "Wii U version" statement. If the trend continues, even Nintendo will start making those. :p

All Iwata can do now is watch as third parties abandon the system. Piss poor EA support is a dangerous thing. If FIFA skips the console too its going to worse than the gamecube.

IwataSurprised.gif

Burai

shitonmychest57
Lol.

And yet a PS4/XB3 version (who will have an install base of or near zero at this game's launch) is incoming. Good stuff, EA.

Yeah, they should pull resources off those versions and throw them behind one which will struggle to sell north of 100k units.

I guess I am skipping this purchase. : (
edit: I don't mean boycotting or whatever, but I mean not everyone has more than one console.

Coolwhip

Banned
I remember a lot of angry nerd comments from the BF developers on Wii U. What a professional business. For EA it would make sense to just port this game to all platforms.

Top Bottom