• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 6, is it going to be cross gen? It's coming out next year.

I hope it's back to Modern Warfare Battlefield..
..Wait, you said next year ##$% that !! .2021 Nov release then..irrelevant for me atp.

Fbh

Probably yeah.

Keep in mind though that Dice seems to have no issues with severely downgrading their games on older hardware.
Battlefield 4 looked horrible on Ps3/360, ran at less than 720p, targeting 30fps while still having drops bellow that and multiplayer limited to 24 players.

The next battlefield can be on Ps4/Xb1 while still being a showcase for next gen consoles.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
battlefield hasn't been relevant for a while now tho.
yup. I think Battlefield peaked between 2005-2011. Battlefield 2 was amazing. Bad Company 2 was fun. And I really enjoyed Battlefield 3.

After that it went downhill. To be fair I don't think Battlefield 4 was terrible but it just didn't feel the same as 3. Most of the time I just play the Battlefield 3 maps.

Hardline, 1, and V were trash.

I swear if BFVI is another World War game then I'm done. I really want them to have a modern/futuristic game and maybe lean back towards a more realistic style of gameplay.

Codes 208

Probably yeah.

Keep in mind though that Dice seems to have no issues with severely downgrading their games on older hardware.
Battlefield 4 looked horrible on Ps3/360, ran at less than 720p, targeting 30fps while still having drops bellow that and multiplayer limited to 24 players.

The next battlefield can be on Ps4/Xb1 while still being a showcase for next gen consoles.
Plus the two gens are basically PC’s. Developing for current gen alongside next gen isnt so much different than what DICE (as a predominately PC developer) has already been doing with low-high end gaming PC’s.

Reactions: Fbh
They killed the series for 2 reasons:

BF1 was amazing in every way, but they continued to cater to the "community" by pumping out way too much content in a short amount of time.

They dont do what is simple, basic, principles of business and now just listen to the 1% who dont have lives.

Dacon

Banned
It doesn't matter, it'll probably suck anyway. That's how badly I feel like Dice has mishandled this franchise.

Who know, I could be dead wrong. I hope I am.

Last edited:
After they had major issues trying to put BF4 on 5 platforms. I'd really fucking hope they don't do that again.

It took a whole new studio to fix that mess. If there is a new one in the works I want it to be the team that fixed BF4 to make it. DICE Stockholm are just bad now. The only good folks they have are animation and audio guy.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
After they had major issues trying to put BF4 on 5 platforms. I'd really fucking hope they don't do that again.

It took a whole new studio to fix that mess. If there is a new one in the works I want it to be the team that fixed BF4 to make it. DICE Stockholm are just bad now. The only good folks they have are animation and audio guy.
DICE LA is working on a new IP under the supervision of Vince Zampella, so the next Battlefield will be handled by DICE Stockholm. Initially it was the Los Angeles studio the one that was supposed to make the game (Bad Company 3 in Vietnam - this was an early concept, no idea if the game morphed into something else with the years), but Stockholm took over the project in 2018.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Beat me to it.

I bought hardline, 1, and V all off of hope. I quit hoping for a good Battlefield ever coming out again.
I think you're confusing taste with quality.

I enjoyed Hardline quite a bit. Didn't care for 1 and haven't played V. That doesn't stop them from being games that fall somewhere on the good to great scale, it doesn't mean they don't successfully implement much of what makes a BF game a BF game, it just means I didn't like them.

Mainly I didn't like them because they don't have helicopters, lol. Should I use that criteria to judge the quality of the games? Probably not.

A lot of people---on this forum in particular, it seems---formed a deservedly negative impression of BFV from the initial hero-shooter-esque trailer. A negative impression that was reinforced by the whole argument over "woke" vs. history, or at least the parts of history people having the argument decided to cherry pick. The game they actually released? It's a BF game. It isn't the over-the-top cartoony stuff that was in that first announcement. It seems like a pretty good BF game, matter of fact.

Last edited:
I'm ready for a decent modern BF again please. 3 Was the last one I enjoyed. 4 was okay.

Also fuck old consoles - as long as they give them the BF4 treatment I don't mind.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I think you're confusing taste with quality.

I enjoyed Hardline quite a bit. Didn't care for 1 and haven't played V. That doesn't stop them from being games that fall somewhere on the good to great scale, it doesn't mean they don't successfully implement much of what makes a BF game a BF game, it just means I didn't like them.

Mainly I didn't like them because they don't have helicopters, lol. Should I use that criteria to judge the quality of the games? Probably not.

A lot of people---on this forum in particular, it seems---formed a deservedly negative impression of BFV from the initial hero-shooter-esque trailer. A negative impression that was reinforced by the whole argument over "woke" vs. history, or at least the parts of history people having the argument decided to cherry pick. The game they actually released? It's a BF game. It isn't the over-the-top cartoony stuff that was in that first announcement. It seems like a pretty good BF game, matter of fact.

I enjoyed hardline but it felt like could have been a dlc. 1 and V tho are just bad games.

Despite all its issues, 4 was the last good Battlefield game imo.

Kerotan

Hard-line should have been a $30 BF4 expansion.

BF1 was fine. The next game should have been a bad company game in Vietnam not another old war game. They cheaped out.

Then the next gen game should have been modern day followed by the WW2 game.

Fuck it what's done is done at least the next one is guaranteed to be Vietnam or modern day. Bring on the jets and choppers.

Blond

Banned
I hope they go back to the Bc2/bf3/bf4 formula, i hated the last BF.

I honestly haven't touched anything since BF4, the Betas alone made me not touch anything. Which is saying something considering the Betas for 3 and 4 sold me on the games Day 1.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I still remember the Battlefield 4 cross gen disaster lol
They reaches the level of the Bethesda’s coders.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Probably yeah.

It was an absolutely disaster on PS4/XB1.
Took them at least a year to make the game playable.

Last edited:
I really hope they ditch the pointless campaign. One of the worst cases of wasting dev resources in the AAA industry. People don't play Battlefield games for the shitty single player campaigns.

Kenpachii

yup. I think Battlefield peaked between 2005-2011. Battlefield 2 was amazing. Bad Company 2 was fun. And I really enjoyed Battlefield 3.

After that it went downhill. To be fair I don't think Battlefield 4 was terrible but it just didn't feel the same as 3. Most of the time I just play the Battlefield 3 maps.

Hardline, 1, and V were trash.

I swear if BFVI is another World War game then I'm done. I really want them to have a modern/futuristic game and maybe lean back towards a more realistic style of gameplay.

I played first battlefield 1942 or something ( amazing ), battlefield bad company 2 ( probably one of there best games they ever created specially with the vietnam dlc ) battlefield 3 ( great at the start ended up being bad through airplanes deleting everything and nothing to stop them ) BF4 was pretty much a hot fix for battlefield 3 on that front and pissed people off by being just that. BF1 kinda removed classic battlefield way of playstyle, world war 1 which wasn't even remotely perceived well, butchered gameplay, streamers that basically just dropped it because there were no helicopters anymore kinda killed their franchise off entirely as they waited for the next BF3/4.

Then the dumpster fire of BF5 which burned all bridges, that got vomited out everywhere, shat on russians, shat on europeans, shat on ww2 entirely, shat on there consumers multiple times in all rainbow color ways. Yea good job bro.

BF1 was the way to fix there franchise finally they failed hard, then BF5 the game basically dropped of everybody's radar.. i don't think at this point anybody cares anymore about it. It's a generic shitty shooter these days.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Most probably yes since it'll be the first year of the new gen. Modern times please, we're fed up of WW and the bad weapons.

replicant-

I really hope they ditch the pointless campaign. One of the worst cases of wasting dev resources in the AAA industry. People don't play Battlefield games for the shitty single player campaigns.

AMEN. MP only please DICE. I've not touched any of the campaigns outside of the two BC games.

svbarnard

Banned
I played first battlefield 1942 or something ( amazing ), battlefield bad company 2 ( probably one of there best games they ever created specially with the vietnam dlc ) battlefield 3 ( great at the start ended up being bad through airplanes deleting everything and nothing to stop them ) BF4 was pretty much a hot fix for battlefield 3 on that front and pissed people off by being just that. BF1 kinda removed classic battlefield way of playstyle, world war 1 which wasn't even remotely perceived well, butchered gameplay, streamers that basically just dropped it because there were no helicopters anymore kinda killed their franchise off entirely as they waited for the next BF3/4.

Then the dumpster fire of BF5 which burned all bridges, that got vomited out everywhere, shat on russians, shat on europeans, shat on ww2 entirely, shat on there consumers multiple times in all rainbow color ways. Yea good job bro.

BF1 was the way to fix there franchise finally they failed hard, then BF5 the game basically dropped of everybody's radar.. i don't think at this point anybody cares anymore about it. It's a generic shitty shooter these days.
Believe it or not the Pacific theater maps are fucking awesome and addictive in BF5, I hadn't touched it in months like at least over half a year but I recently logged in to try the Pacific theater maps and it seems they took their time to make it extra polished because the graphics look amazing and I'm hooked, do you still own BF5 because if you do login again and give the new Pacific theater maps a try?

TheShocker

I enjoyed BF1 and BFV got better over time, but neither stood up to the play time I had for BF4. I hope that BF6 or whatever they call it returns to modern era.

EDMIX

Apparently it's coming out next year and apparently it's going to take advantage of next gen consoles to "blow people's minds" but is it going to be a cross gen title or next-gen only?

Its going to be next gen only.

The best way to figure this out, is to see what they've done in the past.

Battlefield 2 was on XB and 360 thus cross gen, Battlefield bad Company 1 was only for next gen ie 360.

Battlefield 4 was on 360, PS3, PS4 and XONE, Battlefield Hardline was next gen only.

Battlefront 3 is likely coming this fall, which means next fall will be a Battlefield game. They have no reason to make it cross gen, they have very little history of doing cross gen with that series the second year or second title by the studio during a gen etc. The fact that EA themselves reference next gen with the next battlefield in terms of tech is enough to see they are making it next gen only. So 99% its next gen only.

cragarmi cragarmi I mean..who is saying its not? All this is confirming is that another BF is coming which is completely moot btw.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
BF1 = Casual but not bad
BFV = Pile of shit and continuing to be a massive pile of shit

The need to get back to BF3 and BF4 style. I'm tired of having my hand held in a multiplayer FPS. Go back to attachments rather than ticking square boxes that have no negative effect. In BFV a different stock and barrel are just cosmetic this really needs to change. Also, the treatment of the player base has been absolutely awful and to honest, I don't see this changing. Overall the biggest issue with me is the game engine it's completely outdated and id what's causing all the buggy issues.

This is the same engine on most if not all EA's games. Mass Effect Andromeda, Anthem, BFV, FIFA, etc. All these games have been trash and weak if you ask me. Even the devs from Anthem said the engine is a disaster to work with. Yes, those games can't all be blamed for the engine obviously poor management is another issue but the engine is a key factor.

I personally don't see DICE improving with BF6 the way BFV is being handled why would they change. BFV players were told the TTK will be changed and the community had unanimously told them not to do it on all social media platforms but DICE didn't listen and they still don't. In fact, it's become and MEME.

As for the game being cross-gen, I hope not because they can barely get it right at the moment let alone doing it on multiple consoles

EDMIX

DICE isnt the same team anymore.

Old DICE is at embark studios.

huh? To my understanding, when Patrick Söderlund left EA, it was to build some large open world game....WITHOUT HAVING A HUGE TEAM!

“push visual fidelity on a large scale (256 square kilometers), with completely dynamic weather & lighting, and without having to be a huge team.”

As of 2018 they had like 700 developers, even with the fiasco with Battelfront 2 when folks where screaming the sky is falling, that "mass" of developers leaving was around 40..

So to say 40 out of 700 leaving means its not the same team is moot. No team is the same team as no team in gaming to my understanding just has 100% exactly the same staff from game to game, its massively unlikely as gaming is contracted. Many work temp, on contract or go to other teams over time. So I see no evidence that "old DICE" is at Embark Studios, using such logic, "old DICE" is at Ubisoft, EA in their other teams, Acitivsion etc. Old ALL TEAMS are all over the industry.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Its going to be next gen only.

The best way to figure this out, is to see what they've done in the past.

Battlefield 2 was on XB and 360 thus cross gen, Battlefield bad Company 1 was only for next gen ie 360.

Battlefield 4 was on 360, PS3, PS4 and XONE, Battlefield Hardline was next gen only.

Battlefront 3 is likely coming this fall, which means next fall will be a Battlefield game. They have no reason to make it cross gen, they have very little history of doing cross gen with that series the second year or second title by the studio during a gen etc. The fact that EA themselves reference next gen with the next battlefield in terms of tech is enough to see they are making it next gen only. So 99% its next gen only.

cragarmi cragarmi I mean..who is saying its not? All this is confirming is that another BF is coming which is completely moot btw.
You're wrong in a couple of points:

1. Both Battlefield 4 and Hardline were cross-gen releases. Star Wars Battlefront (2015) was DICE's first next-gen only FPS.
2. There won't be a Battlefront 3 in 2020. EA already stated that Apex Legends, which will soon be released on mobile platforms and next-gen consoles, will be their shooter for this year.

Top Bottom