• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam |OT|

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
k4tlzd.jpg

Information
  • Release Date: December 21 (DEC. 18 On EA STORE) December 22 on EU PSN
  • Platforms: PC, XBOX™360, Playstation®3
  • Pricing: 1200 Microsoft Points, €12.99, $14.99, £9.99

Features
  • 5 Multiplayer Maps
    Phu Bai Valley, Hill 137, Vantage Point, Cao Son Temple, and Operation Hastings.
  • All game modes are supported by every map.
  • 15 Vietnam-era Weapons
    Everything is unlocked from the get go (this is also true for the launch version).
    One of the biggest new additions is the flame-thrower.
  • 60's Soundtrack
    2 hours of time-typical soundtrack on the radios in the American vehicles.
    Fly to the sound of Ride of the Valkyries, Fortunate Son, and more.
  • 6 Vietnam War Vehicles
    Skim the treetops in the iconic American Huey helicopter.
    Drive the sturdy Russian T54 tank and the nimble US PBR "Pibber" patrol boat, plus three more vehicles immortalized in the Vietnam War.
  • New Voiceovers
    All-new voiceovers for both American and Vietnamese forces, based on authentic communication from the Vietnam War.
  • New Trophies/Achievements
    Collect 10 new achievements/trophies (see list below).
    Earn new weapon proficiency stars specific to your skills with the weapons in this expansion.

Source : BFBC2 Vietnam Website

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Does my Vietnam XP adds to my rank ?
A: Yes. You can continue to level up with Vietanm.

Q: Do i need BFBC2 to play it?
A: Yes. Its an expansion pack.

Q: Does it have its own playlist?
A: Yes. It has its own main menu option and its own playlist.

Q: 15 bucks for only 5 maps?!
A: Yes. Plus new vehicles,soundtrack and game changing weapons.

Q: What about the high tech items like motion sensors and red dots or ACOG scopes?
A: 'Gone they are'. TNT replaces C4 for instance. Motion sensors and scopes are no more.

Q: What replaces the motion mines in the Recon loadout then?
A: C4. Yes... the Recon class can use C4 and mortar strikes at the same time.

Q: What about the fifth map? I only have four!
A: How to unlock Operation Hastings

Q: ZOMFG!! Teh flame thrower its so broken! WTF Dice!!! >8(
A: Hi TheSeks. ;P

Media

BFBC2 Vietnam Launch Trailer
Phu Bai Valley Gameplay

Screenshots taken by Mr. Snrub
River
View from the Huey

Screenshots taken by kamspy
Hill 137
Flamethrower

Useful websites:
BFBC2 Vietan website
BFBC2 website
Electronic UK Community BFBC2 Forum
EA Youtube account

Thanks
  • BFBC2 GAF: Love ya guys!
  • Mr. Snrub and kampsy: Thanks for the screenshots, ill take them down if you want to.
  • Gowans007: For telling me to make the thread.
  • Internet Celebrity: For fixing my typos.
  • DICE: For making the best FPS on PS3 right now. (And for being a bunch of nice folks too)

Gowans

Been Playing this for a couple of hours this morning it's fantasic, the weapons, maps everything.

That Naparmed map is so pretty and the levels in the farm map are fantastic. Such a great feel to them.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
OfficialBFBC2 said:
BFBC2 Vietnam live now on Xbox 360 world-wide! Go go go!!

You heard the man! GO GO GO!

Gowans007 said:
Been Playing this for a couple of hours this morning it's fantasic, the weapons, maps everything.

That Naparmed map is so pretty and the levels in the farm map are fantastic. Such a great feel to them.
Hope you like the thread its pretty simple.

1-D_FTW

Reluctantly bought BC 2 for 6 dollars in the Steam sale for this. Very pleased. Not sure I'll ever play stock BC2, but very positive impression of Vietnam so far.

And now that my CPU isn't a bottleneck and I can put everything on/max, it looks phenomenal. I can see where the praise originally came from. Not being able to seek shelter behind structures really amps the intensity of the experience.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Most of the maps are complete shit for conquest, Phu Bai is the only decent one.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Bought BC2 for this, and I'm loving it on the PC. Add "KyouG" (EA name) or "Oldats [qt3]" (Steam) if you want to get some squad action going. Riding a Huey and raining death from above is a wonderful feeling. :D

Gowans

I think my favourite thing about this expansion is the density of the maps, it really keeps the action going and makes it play differently to BFBC2.

Sanjay said:
Which aspect do you hate about it?

I think the maps are too big and so far every game I've played in has been full of campers and no team work.

Spawn run to the action get shot by sniper repeat until 360 controller goes out the window, I am recovering from flu at the moment so that probably isn't helping.

Fitz

Mr Solo Dolo said:
I think the maps are too big and so far every game I've played in has been full of campers and no team work.

Spawn run to the action get shot by sniper repeat until 360 controller goes out the window, I am recovering from flu at the moment so that probably isn't helping.

Too big? How can you stand the standard BC2 maps then, these are clearly smaller and more confined, the only exception is Phu Bai which is dominated by the choppers anyway.

[Nintex]

I've played this for a couple of hours and it's awesome. Especially the trenches and caves in combination with grenade launchers and ammo boxes. Everyone is shitting their pants and we just ran over the other side gunning all the enemies down.

I also had a great time defending hills with a tank. :lol

Gowans

Yeah there are some fun choke points if your using all your options on the maps.

I got hammered by the flame thrower in one game so I thought I'd try it. I'm hopeless with it.

I hope they fix the ability to repair the Huey in the air. It is really difficult to take that thing down as it is, but when it is near invincible it gets frustrating fast.

Many of the maps boil down to extreme choke points or expanses with almost no cover, and there are numerous places where you can be killed as soon as you spawn (as both a defender and attacker).

I love the weapons so far and the flame thrower does not seem to powerful.

Conquest doesn't seem to be that fun on these maps though as there is so much distance between capture points.

In the end it is easily worth the $15 if you like BC2 and Rush. This should have been a stand alone though like 1943.

Xater

I am still confused about the date. It it also coming out in Europe for the PS3? Because the store updates on wednesdays here...

Fersis

Xater said:
I am still confused about the date. It it also coming out in Europe for the PS3? Because the store updates on wednesdays here...
Oh yeah. Let me edit the OP.

EDIT: Done.

Hellcrow

the_prime_mover said:
I hope they fix the ability to repair the Huey in the air. It is really difficult to take that thing down as it is, but when it is near invincible it gets frustrating fast.

Many of the maps boil down to extreme choke points or expanses with almost no cover, and there are numerous places where you can be killed as soon as you spawn (as both a defender and attacker).

I love the weapons so far and the flame thrower does not seem to powerful.

Conquest doesn't seem to be that fun on these maps though as there is so much distance between capture points.

In the end it is easily worth the $15 if you like BC2 and Rush. This should have been a stand alone though like 1943.

Is it as bad as the BF2 pre-patch blackhawk flying fortresses of doom?

Daigoro

would've been nice if it was a stand alone. i cant believe i just bought this game again on Steam. probably shouldn't have. bought it for Vietnam and convenience mostly.

suck to hear about conquest. thats my favorite mode.

[Nintex]

Hellcrow said:
Is it as bad as the BF2 pre-patch blackhawk flying fortresses of doom?
Just get all your assault troops to fire their grenade launchers in the air or RPG's if they have them. Skilled pilots can do a lot of damage with choppers but luckily there aren't many around.

MDSLKTR

It feels so different compared to bc2. I don't know what it is tough. Maybe the fact that all weapons are unlocked from the start and that scopes are out? Or maybe the fact that the maps are some of the most beatiful I have ever seen in a fps (be it solo or multiplayer)? In any case it's worth every penny.

Daigoro

Brakara said:
Huh? Conquest is great. Well, at least on the two maps I've played on so far.

everyone who mentioned it so far said it sucked. ill just have to judge for myself. glad to hear someone likes it anyways.

Fitz

Brakara said:
Huh? Conquest is great. Well, at least on the two maps I've played on so far.

Really? It might as well be Rush the way the maps are laid out. The points are all in a line with very little room to manoeuvre around the enemy, most of the time the maps on Conquest end up playing out just like Rush, a battle over a choke point, maybe pushing back and forth a little but not much actual flow. It just feels like the maps could use an extra capture point on conquest to make the maps at least triangular instead of straight lines like Rush.

Brakara

I'm pretty sure the two maps I played on (don't remember the names) had the bases at a triangular shape. At least it didn't feel like rush at all.

But there's nothing wrong with straight lines either, and several of the standard maps are like that as well. I don't see how Vietnam is different in that regard?

Edit: here's one of the maps I played on:

GGw4K.png

The other was the Hill something-something map.

CozMick

Banned
Disappointed that there ain't no unlocks.

It's what keeps me coming back for more, now it'll be a "buy it when i'm bored" expansion :(

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I think it's Vantage point that if the just opened up the map it could be so much better on Conquest, the maps are just too small and limited.

CozMick said:
Disappointed that there ain't no unlocks.

It's what keeps me coming back for more, now it'll be a "buy it when i'm bored" expansion :(
:lol Or just play it because it's fun?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I like the historical authenticity of the weapons, but like COD it pisses me off when other players use the wrong weapons (like when US troops use the AK47) :D

The Recon class seems heavily nerfed now. I understand that there are no motion mines, but you can't spot enemies anymore? Weak.

Arnie

This game is amazing, everyone skeptical needs to purchase this, it feels like a completely new game rather than just a re-skin. The weapons feel great, I love all the little details that make it feel like you're fighting in Vietnam, such as the tape on your hands and the dirt on your guns. Not to mention all the music that comes from the vehicles. The game seems to play better when not everyone has scopes on their weapons too, allows for a greater distinction between recon players and assault players, the latter having to get much deeper into enemy territory before they can become really effective, which I suppose is the point of the class in the first place.

Bravo Dice, this and Reach will be my go to games over the Christmas break. I still have Castlevania to finish and Fable, AssBro and Vanquish to start. Wish I had Bernard's watch.
richiek said:
I like the historical authenticity of the weapons, but like COD it pisses me off when other players use the wrong weapons (like when US troops use the AK47) :D /QUOTE]
Yes this bothers me too, I wish Dice would be bolder and enforce that rule like they did in BF2. I suppose skeptics will put this down to pleasing the tastes of console audiences in a post MW world, which is probably a fair statement.

Top Bottom