• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield:Heroes Screenshots

saelz8

2ngx93m.jpg

13zpkiw.jpg

2ryhs82.jpg

5oayau.jpg

6ga3qw.jpg

295yde8.jpg

2dln5u1.jpg

5sln9.jpg
wa6mpd.jpg

General Information:
2 Armies: National Army vs. Royal Army, All stereotypes used for comic look
At release, 2-3 maps with more rolled out in updates
Pick one character and you level him up through the game.
Maps do not have insertion points, and the game chooses where to put you on the battlefield, although maps are a lot smaller than regular Battlefield maps.
Known Weapons: Sticky Bombs, Rocket Launcher
Taunts and death-freeze-cam included
3rd person rather than 1st person. Update: 1st person as well according to this. French gaming site, No Frag is reporting that Battlefield Heroes will not only be 3rd person, but 1st person as well depending on the "phase".
Vehicles in the game unlike Team Fortress 2
Historical war setting
Much simpler than Team Fortress 2

Modified Conquest Mode:
At the start of each round each team has 2 flags and 100 tickets
Killing enemies reduce tickets, but if you hold more flags then your enemy you receive a multiplier giving you more tickets.
You can win even by killing less enemies and owning more flags
Killing enemies is less important than capturing and holding flags

Vehicles:
Observed vehicles: Spitfire, M4 Sherman, PzKfzIV
The character size relative to the vehicle differs quite a bit. Comparable to "an adult on a bobby car".
Planes have no bombs, used mainly for dogfights

Abilities:
"I Eat Grenades" Ability - Throw back 7 grenades at once
Life-Points Boost
Inflammable Ammo
New abilities at level up
Each solider class has this
Sort of like spells (not like fireballs)

Achievement System:
Mission system - choose a badge you want to get and go out on a mission to get that badge
You can get new weapons
As you play the game you get experience points
As your level increases you get access to better clothing items etc

Advertising:
Advertising on the website, press button on website to play, website has stats
In-game menus have advertising
They expect 95% of people never to buy items
Selling convenience items
Example of an item being sold: item ups the multiplayer on your score for increased experience points

Match Making:

Play with level equal players, but not 1:1 Ex: Level 2s could play on a level 1 server. Rule seems to be "level X ±"
New players separated from hardcore players
Levels as high as 40 or 50

Source

very excited for this game.

yeah, artstyle isnt very good...but I dont care that much considering it is Battlefield for free!

I really want a real Battlefield 3.

speedpop said:
3rd person viewpoint?

Lame.

3rd person rather than 1st person. Update: 1st person as well according to this. French gaming site, No Frag is reporting that Battlefield Heroes will not only be 3rd person, but 1st

nope.

Crushed said:
Why is there a picture of Battalion Wars 2 in there?

this is actually the real Battalion Wars.

the one on the Wii was an Army Man game that was scrapped and picked up by Nintendo.

I love Battlefield and was super excited about getting a free version... but... these screens... and then this:

Maps do not have insertion points, and the game chooses where to put you on the battlefield, although maps are a lot smaller than regular Battlefield maps.

Excitement dropping...

Thermite

Linkzg said:

It's in the First Person view depending on the "phase". What could that mean? Does that imply that the game only goes into first person view while you're driving a vehicle/in a vehicle, or in a similar situation? Ugh, this description is far too vague...

If the game does indeed play in third person, my interest in this game has just dropped exponentially. :(

jet1911

I want to see a video. Whith an artstyle like this good animations are important. The game sounds like Battlefield for noob, and it's probably what it is, but it's free so it's hard too complain.

dLMN8R

If it's fun and free, who cares what it looks like?

I'll reiterate what I've said before: Unlike other EA games where they can make it look pretty on the outside, but buggy and flawed on the inside, Battlefield Heroes needs to be compelling enough to keep playing. There is no initial revenue stream of hundreds of thousands of people buying it regardless of quality. If EA doesn't give gamers a reason to stick around, they make no money, plain and simple.

That alone gives me more reason to believe that this game will be fun than any other recent EA game.

And how about waiting for higher-resolution screens that aren't pixelated blurry messes?

No_Style

jet1911 said:
I want to see a video. Whith an artstyle like this good animations are important. The game sounds like Battlefield for noob, and it's probably what it is, but it's free so it's hard too complain.

My thoughts reflected.

kbear

they're making the game extremely scalable so even really low-end systems can play it... so it's to be expected that the graphics look the way they do

kbear said:
they're making the game extremely scalable so even really low-end systems can play it... so it's to be expected that the graphics look the way they do
The problem is that it looks like a generic, soulless cartoon. And not even a nice looking generic, soulless cartoon like TF2 does (albeit without the generic and soulless part).

Coop

kbear said:

Team Fortress 2 is very scalable and looks a lot better than this.

ToxicAdam

I think you guys are being a bit naive to compare it to TF2 .. a game Valve has labored over for the past 3-8 years (depending on your viewpoint).

I can't wait to try it. I'm excited for games that are free*.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
I AM JOHN! said:
It's like TF2 with none of the style. :(

For some damn reason I was at least expecting to be close to TFT 2 in style but on man what a downer, I don't know what to think hopefully it will turn out to be an awesome game. Hell it's free.

It's not as good as TF2 probably, but I mean seriously, there's going to be so much more going on that it's hard to fault it on that. I'll wait until I see it running, because TF2 didn't look "holy crap" nice until it was running on my PC.

I'm way excited for this.

Borys

Banned
What the fuck is wrong with you people.

You pay $50 for TF2. You pay $50 for Battalion Wars.

This will be FREE.

i knew i was going to come into this thread and see a bunch of "OMG TF2 RIPPOFFZ" comments.

apparently any game that looks remotely cartoony is going to be labeled a tf2 ripoff... even if it looks NOTHING like tf2.

saelz8

Since it was captured from German television, there must be a video somewhere, out there.

zaccheus said:
god damnit tf2's art style is the new bloom
How many other games use TF2's art style for you to deem it the new bloom?

I keep seeing people bring up the similar art styles, as if it's a bad thing.

TF2 was influenced by Leyendecker, who was illustrating all the way back in the 40's.

With this kind of aesthetic, you can have an attractive game with liberal system requirements.

Top Bottom