• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield V ditching Premium pass

Codes 208

Just announced during the BFV reveal. Figured this was thread worthy since its a HUGE change of pace for the franchise

Last edited:

Dibils2k

they said it wasnt pay 2 win... i didnt see them deny lootboxes, they have to make money some how from all the extra dlc work

They are not giving us free stuff. There's a catch. I'm sure of it.

they said it wasnt pay 2 win... i didnt see them deny lootboxes, they have to make money some how from all the extra dlc work
Cosmetic lootboxes is my guess.

Last edited:

Fbh

Cool. Hopefully they keep microtransactions cosmetic only and they make enough money from them.

Because as exciting as no season pass sounded for Battlefront 2, so far it has come down to a couple of recycled maps from the first one that are only for the smaller game modes no one plays

Codes 208

Cool. Hopefully they keep microtransactions cosmetic only and they make enough money from them.

Because as exciting as no season pass sounded for Battlefront 2, so far it has come down to a couple of recycled maps from the first one that are only for the smaller game modes no one plays
It seems this is the case. Going the fortnite route

Fbh

It seems this is the case. Going the fortnite route

That's good.
Then I guess we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

No season pass is obviously ideal but if it comes down to 2 recycled maps every 6 months then it might not be the best alternative. Not that I want as many maps as you'd get by paying but 2-3 actually new maps in a year would be awesome

DonF

This is the EA way. Both Titanfall II and Battlefront 2 had no seasons pass or paid maps, but just a couple of new maps and re made maps.I suspect this will be the case with BF V too.

-MD-

Honestly everything they announced sounds amazing, more/different recoil on guns, slower revives, less health regen, no paid maps (if true) etc.

This is an insta-buy for me, they're saying all the right things.

Last edited:

manfestival

Friends, please do not forget that DLC existed before loot boxes became popular. They are probably gonna tax hard on the cosmetics in this game. Gonna start getting flashbacks of the $25 WoW mount.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Ever since I got the Back to Karkand DLC with my PC copy I've felt like I'm always one expansion short of owning the entire game. I'd boot up the browser and see maps I couldn't play. That's not fun. Then when you're searching Origin they're all at their base price. Then a sale comes along and it's not worth the investment because you haven't been playing it long enough for any of the extras to matter.

I'd happily play this again.

Friends, please do not forget that DLC existed before loot boxes became popular. They are probably gonna tax hard on the cosmetics in this game. Gonna start getting flashbacks of the $25 WoW mount.
And? Even if they charge a billion dollars for cosmetics they aren't required to enjoy the entire game. People should be getting ripped off on that sort of stuff.

I feel like that's the type of paid DLC we should be getting. Not maps that just split the player base.

I would have no problem spending 60-80 on more new games if I knew I would only be charged for useless shit I don't care about instead of useful parts of a game. Bring it back to fill blown expansion packs that are actually worth a 20, not just 2 shitty maps and a loot box or some shit.

Aintitcool

Banned
Cosmetics are going to ruin the WW2 aesthetic in this game. People didnt really wear face paint and have fashionable clothing in WW2 but here we go. I would have preferred a premium pass if it meant authentic-looking war characters.

Naked Lunch

There has to be a tradeoff. Probably will amount to like 3 maps at launch (which will get boring quick) with a slow drip of more over the span of a year. The game looks like trash anyways. They should have done this years ago when the series was actually good.

They are not giving us free stuff. There's a catch. I'm sure of it.

Cosmetic lootboxes is my guess.

Have doubts it's going to be cosmetic only, this is EA after all, they will have a nasty hook ready for ya one way or the other. If it's not at the start, it will get snuck in a month or two down the road.

EDMIX

No season pass doesn't mean there won't be expansions to buy. Maps are definitely not coming free.

https://screenrant.com/battlefield-v-free-dlc-premium-pass-expansions/

except they are pretty clear when they say "Battlefield V won't feature any paid expansions" . Sooooo maps are free on Titanfall 2, they are free in Battlefront 2, EA and DICE are saying its going to be free in BFV, but....yet they are what? Lying? You sure? Are you folks really saying even when they are telling you they are giving you FREE CONTENT, you are still trying to say its not true, even with other games doing it already at the publisher?

umm ok.

This sounds like personal bias. No facts, simply personal bias.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
This is a good change. I always hated the fracturing of the community the paid map packs would cause.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
confirmed no lootboxes, but I'm sure you'll find something to complain about so...
All they said was "there will not be randomized loot boxes in Battlefield 5".

There will still be micro transactions.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Torn on this as I have a love hate relationship with the season pass. I hate how it split the community and the maps would often be dead. But OTOH each expansion was very meaty with new modes and new maps. In the end the season pass pretty much doubled the content. This will not be the same. There will be less maps for sure. Instead of getting 4-6 maps, a new mode, and a slew of new weapons at most I see 1 map and 1 mode.

And EA is going to MTX the hell out of the customization. I don't care about that as long as they don't force progression with MTX like Battlefront 1. It better not be a stupid grind tempting players to pay to because it takes 10000 matches to level up.

Naglafar

Its pretty clear they are banking on cosmetic micro transactions from the customization options. Which is fine with me, better than splitting the community up. The gameplay itself does look pretty good.

cryptoadam

Banned
There is no way we will get an additional 15 + maps over the life of the game without a season pass.

How many maps we got in Battlefront ? I think so far 1 (and there was a second that is only HvV).

So yup no way were are getting the same amount of content we got with BF1. It split the community and cost a lot but the content that the BF season passes gave was unrivaled. You essentially got a full 2nd game.

If the cosmetic MTX bomb I expect 1 or 2 maps at most. If it works then maybe 4-6 maps over a 2 year period.

Codes 208

In the form of cosmetics. Which is fine by me. Let the dorks buy pink suits or clown clothes if that means i get new maps for free.

Bolivar687

Banned
It's great that maps won't fracture the community but I don't see how you make up for what is such a basic business model for multiplayer shooters.

EDMIX

yes, like cosmetics like in BF1, thus...no one really cares. You think using the word "mircro transactions" suddenly must = bad by default?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...-and-it-wont-have-paid-season-pass-map-packs/

"WWII game's only MTX will be cosmetic"

So, I think you just want a point to argue about. Its not hurting the game, gamers, the whole base stays together, free content like maps, vehicles etc. Why look to complain about something optional that doesn't reflect gameplay after what was announced?

Dear god, even the cosmetics like in BATTLEFIELD 1 (clearly you have not played it) CAN BE FOUND IN THE GAME FOR FREE.

Soo, what is the issue? or will you just spam the word "mircro transactions" a lot? Actually say what the problem is so we can actually talk about it. Witcher 3 had MT as well, you mad about those too or?

yes, like cosmetics like in BF1, thus...no one really cares. You think using the word "mircro transactions" suddenly must = bad by default?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...-and-it-wont-have-paid-season-pass-map-packs/

"WWII game's only MTX will be cosmetic"

So, I think you just want a point to argue about. Its not hurting the game, gamers, the whole base stays together, free content like maps, vehicles etc. Why look to complain about something optional that doesn't reflect gameplay after what was announced?

Dear god, even the cosmetics like in BATTLEFIELD 1 (clearly you have not played it) CAN BE FOUND IN THE GAME FOR FREE.

Soo, what is the issue? or will you just spam the word "mircro transactions" a lot? Actually say what the problem is so we can actually talk about it. Witcher 3 had MT as well, you mad about those too or?
Id gladly take 100 microtransactions that just skip play time for you to have X,Y,Z face paint (which is what it is) then have to pay roughly 15-20 dollars every 4 months for new maps, modes and weapons.

Top Bottom