• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield V Sells an Estimated 1.4 Million Units First Week at Retail - Sales.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/435...imated-14-million-units-first-week-at-retail/

The first-person shooter from publisher Electronic Arts and developer EA Dice - Battlefield V - sold 1,404,974 units in two days at retail, according to our estimates. First week sales can be viewed on the VGChartz Global Weekly Chart for the week ending November 24.

Breaking down the sales by platform, the game sold best on the PlayStation 4 with 834,164 units sold (59%), compared to 533,885 units sold on the Xbox One (38%) and 36,925 units sold on Windows PC (3%).

Breaking down the sales by region, the game sold best in the US with 620,342 units sold (44%), compared to 448,548 units sold in Europe (32%) and 107,648 units sold in Japan (8%). Looking more closely at Europe, the game sold an estimated 91,217 units in the UK, 91,748 units in Germany, and 72,567 units in France.

Here is how Battlefield V' first week sales compare to other games in the franchise:
  1. Battlefield 3 - 4.68M
  2. Battlefield 1 - 2.80M
  3. Battlefield 4 - 2.72M
  4. Battlefield: Hardline - 1.51M
  5. Battlefield V - 1.40M
  6. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - 1.39M
  7. Battlefield: Bad Company - 0.44M

manfestival

It's all on them. No one asked for another WW2 shooter.
I can't sign on to that. What I will say, is that I think that the game woulda sold gang busters if it tried to be more like 1942 instead of trying to go for the angle it took

Man poor dice. They had a lot going for them. First call of duty announces no single player so people were mad about that. A good opportunity for dice and EA. Then people liked battlefueld 1 a lot as they should. Seemed like they were in a good spot. So what do they do. They start ahoving all the sjw stuff on everyone. Call of duty had women characters before. Its a great option. A normal option. If hot no problem with it as I'm sure most dont until you start forcing that favt on people. They deserve these low sales. Just make a game not some stupid political statement. We get enough of that from everyone else.

ancelotti

As usual, you can take VGC estimates with a dollop of salt, but I think it's fair to say the sales sentiment is down and EA is going to struggle to make much off the back end with loot boxes.

Haeleos

Tracking the trajectory from the Battlefield 1 trailer reveal (one of if not the most viewed and "liked" video game trailers) up until today would drive me to drink if I had any stake in EA or DICE. What a colossal failure, I can't believe how consistently off the mark EA has been with consumers this gen. Mass Effect, Star Wars and Battlefield are some of the biggest gaming disaster stories of the past couple years, especially considering how much of a prospective gold mine each of those properties were. I won't be surprised when Anthem tanks and they decide to shutter more of their studios instead of axing the people making these decisions.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Wow worse than Hardline sales? That makes me kind of happy since Hardline is a much better game, R.I.P. Visceral.

I'm surprised BF4 was so low compared to BF3 though. Maybe people heard about the initial issues and held off buying it?

GenericUser

Not the best sales, but not the worst. It sounds weird and I'm normally not that kinda guy but I wish it did worse. How disrespectful dice and EA communicated with their core audience was very disappointing and almost insulting.

Last edited:

Paasei

Considering their announcement trailer was garbage, I'm surprised it sold this well. No idea how good/bad the game is at this moment, though.
I have it on PC, but I have only played around 3 maps or so. Not because I hate the game(played too little to know), but other games seem to provide more fun that I simply do not think about the fact I own BF V.

Geki-D

Banned
Are those good numbers for BF?
They'd be good numbers for any other company but EA tends to set crazy high goals for their games; generally around the 4 million mark (especially for mainline big franchise sequels). Unless they've suddenly changed how they run their business, for EA this is going to be considered a failure. As for in terms of BF games, Hardline is the one EA and pretty much anyone else points to as the utter worst selling one. V sold less than that, and it's a mainline entry.

Though this list does show why we've never seen a Bad Company 3. EA's general policy is that if it don't sell, it don't get a sequel.

Last edited:
Here is how Battlefield V' first week sales compare to other games in the franchise:
  1. Battlefield 3 - 4.68M
  2. Battlefield 1 - 2.80M
  3. Battlefield 4 - 2.72M
  5. Battlefield V - 1.40M

I'm sorry, was that a typo? Did you mean week sales, or weak sales?

Judging from that list, the next game they make should be Battlefield 3 2.

Last edited:
wish it sold less but this isn't too bad either. finally we're breaking away from the monstrosity last gen consoles created with the bro shooters culture. this and call of duty are getting as generic as they can humanly get.

Last edited:
wish it sold less but this isn't too bad either. finally we're breaking away from the monstrosity last gen consoles created with the bro shooters culture. this and call of duty are getting as generic as they can humanly get.

Other than "stop making them" which is never going to happen, what do you think should be done with Call of Duty to make it not generic, and make it a game you'd want to play?

They'd be good numbers for any other company but EA tends to set crazy high goals for their games; generally around the 4 million mark (especially for mainline big franchise sequels). Unless they've suddenly changed how they run their business, for EA this is going to be considered a failure. As for in terms of BF games, Hardline is the one EA and pretty much anyone else points to as the utter worst selling one. V sold less than that, and it's a mainline entry.

Though this list does show why we've never seen a Bad Company 3. EA's general policy is that if it don't sell, it don't get a sequel.

Whoa ! V sold worse than Hardline..now that's a problem..because V annihilates Hardline in every fashion. Such a good game/entry and it looks stunning on Scorpio in 4k .

ethomaz

Banned
Boring sales for a boring game.

I don’t know how gamers give DICE a free pass yet after disastrous launchs after disastrous launchs.

Edit - The actual data is fake but it didn’t change my comment about the game.

Last edited:

Xiaoki

Wow, people are so desperate for new reasons to shit on BFV that they will actually use VG Chartz numbers.

Any other time the mere mention of VG Chartz would be met with heavy ridicule and calls for bans.

My, how times have changed.

DonF

I'm surprised BF4 was so low compared to BF3 though. Maybe people heard about the initial issues and held off buying it?

Battlefield 3 had an awesome marketing push behind it. Also, it had bad company 2 as a trampoline.

Jack frags did this video, I remember the hype for battlefield 3.

As a bad company 2 fanatic, I was all over Battlefield 3, every trailer, leak, show, stream, everything was hype. Quite the opposite of battlefield V. Battlefield 4 was close but 3 nailed it.

Last edited:

GC_DALBEN

Ouch, sold less than Hardline, i regret buying this game, played a few days and now im playing other shooters, BF5 gets boring very fast, i never felt that in a BF game (i didnt played Hardline).

If you wanna play a GREAT shooter just buy BF4 its awesome and has a lot of players and servers.

BF3 was awesome, my most played BF game. (I Loved the Aftermath DLC)

Sorry about my english, still learning.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned

I'm not sure I agree with this. It has always seemed to me like people have wanted a WW2 game to rival the great WW2 movies, books, etc, for a long time.

The demand seems to have always been there.

This game has a quite large marketing campaign behind it also.

My guess would be that the demand for a serious WW2 game is maybe far less than the demand for a Fortnite style shooter and EA/Dice tried to split the difference and ended up pleasing nobody?

This is the Battlefield 1 Reveal Trailer (2016) :

Looks like a somewhat serious and somewhat authentic take on WW1, yeah?

This is the Battlefield V Reveal Trailer (2018):

What were they thinking?

Diddy X

I thought this was a PC mainly franchise but it represents only 3% of the total sales, anyway I'm getting it when it drops below 10€

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Battlefield ONE Definitely sold more at launch but that game for me got very boring very fast and I think a lot of casual players went back to Playing BF4 which is why that game is still going strong.

Then they announce a shooter set in WW2 and other than the Hardcore Battlefield fans most assumed it was just Battlefield ONE all over again, which in my opinion it is not. I didn't like Battlefield ONE much at all and I am having a blast with Battlefield V (But seriously they need to add south pacific maps from 1943 & BF4 if possible) regardless of all the negative press (which seems to be more internet bullshit than actual gameplay criticism) it is much better than ONE but until they come back to the modern ERA they are probably not going to bet back the casual fans.

Shmunter

Judging by BF3 being an end of gen game for 360PS3, BFV should have been the book end for this gen with the biggest numbers. Dice better go to PR school before they kill the series wholesale. What a disaster.

Gamers have spoken, there is no room for batshit activism in this hobby.

nikolino840

What's wrong with the gameplay? I like it...most don't have buy It for the jsw stuff but we gamers must concern more of the gameplay no?
Don't judge a book by its cover...
And i have played bf1 and 4

Other than "stop making them" which is never going to happen, what do you think should be done with Call of Duty to make it not generic, and make it a game you'd want to play?

nothing. because quite frank I had my piece of the pie from that genre. no longer interested in it.

unless they make a single player as good as black ops, not interested. if they offer zombies as a standalone game I'd buy it

Last edited:
Battlefield 3 had an awesome marketing push behind it. Also, it had bad company 2 as a trampoline.

Jack frags did this video, I remember the hype for battlefield 3.

As a bad company 2 fanatic, I was all over Battlefield 3, every trailer, leak, show, stream, everything was hype. Quite the opposite of battlefield V. Battlefield 4 was close but 3 nailed it.

The caspian border trailer is still my favorite. BF3 was a polished full game. The best BF in
my opinion. The DLCs (apart from close quarters) were amazing.

Texas Pride

Banned
Make a good game and respect your customers. Don't alienate your customers by taking a political stand. And realize telling people who have supported your franchise for years to fuck off will undoubtedly motivate them to fuck off in droves. After SWBF 1 & 2 and the mess BF4 was the first year on top of this BFV shit DICE has lost any benefit of the doubt and will be lucky if EA doesn't dismantle the whole studio. If it happens they got a longer leash than other studios EA has shit canned in the past so take solace in that.

danielberg

Neophyte
before looking at the numbers of the other games i actually thought this counts as success.. i am still in the 90s mindset of "if you sell one million its a huge success" lol

Airbus Jr

Banned
Lower than Hardline

Nice, that's what you get for giving midlle finger to your own fans on twitter

Hope you guys on DICE enjoy the sjw support

Airbus Jr

Banned
Wow, people are so desperate for new reasons to shit on BFV that they will actually use VG Chartz numbers.

Any other time the mere mention of VG Chartz would be met with heavy ridicule and calls for bans.

My, how times have changed.

Keep hearing this words about eh VGchartz eh no way not reliable

But when I asked them what is the reliable source they just mute and don't know how to answer

Last edited:

GenericUser

Oh I did. A new "BF 1942" with the awesome technical advancements that we had since then? Count me in. Only thinking about what they could have done with the scenario with current tech makes me drool.

There are countless battles that took place during ww2 that would benefit from the current technical archievements. And people should stop spouting "But CoD just did WW2", if you don't know the difference between cod and bf, you know nothing about first person shooters.

Ivellios

I thought this was a PC mainly franchise but it represents only 3% of the total sales, anyway I'm getting it when it drops below 10€

Yeah this surprised me too, i think its because the specs even for minimum are way too high

I think one of the problems is that they marketed it as a realistic WW2 experience and then made something completely different.

Calibos

I bought it in the holiday sale and have reversed my opinion on it completely...which had noting to do with any of the trumped up SJW nonsense that people are claiming and everything to do with the beta and the trial feeling janky and undercooked. I still think they should have moved the release to March and completed the content and polish phase, but all in all, this is a great BF game.

Also, I re-watched the trailer above and still don't really understand the complete hatred people spew towards it? Can someone re-cap what the "political stand" is and the SJW-ness of it? I find it utterly hyperbolic and ridiculous that so much has been made of nothing in my opinion. Seems like Dice was just going with the trend of gamers wanting radical levels of customization and freedom to play how they want...unless your vision is skewed politically so that everything looks that way. If you play as a female character in Mass Effect are you SJW or political? BF 5 in the end is JUST a video game right?

kingbean

Me and my friends are enjoying the shit out of the game. I didn't watch a single piece of pre-release material or care about whatever angle they went with. I just wanted a new battlefield and I got it.

Iorv3th

How much is digital now though? I know it's a lot more than when BF4 and BF3 launched. For some games I thought it was around 50% of sales.

bilderberg

I bought it in the holiday sale and have reversed my opinion on it completely...which had noting to do with any of the trumped up SJW nonsense that people are claiming and everything to do with the beta and the trial feeling janky and undercooked. I still think they should have moved the release to March and completed the content and polish phase, but all in all, this is a great BF game.

Also, I re-watched the trailer above and still don't really understand the complete hatred people spew towards it? Can someone re-cap what the "political stand" is and the SJW-ness of it? I find it utterly hyperbolic and ridiculous that so much has been made of nothing in my opinion. Seems like Dice was just going with the trend of gamers wanting radical levels of customization and freedom to play how they want...unless your vision is skewed politically so that everything looks that way. If you play as a female character in Mass Effect are you SJW or political? BF 5 in the end is JUST a video game right?

It's not as binary as you think it is. Reactions exist on a scale. But you're probably just playing dumb if you actually believe playing as a woman in a made up sci-fi universe is totally the same as women running around the battlefield in a historical ww2 setting.

Fake

Sold less than BF Hardline... Ouch.
Anw, BF3 is a amazing game.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/435...imated-14-million-units-first-week-at-retail/

The first-person shooter from publisher Electronic Arts and developer EA Dice - Battlefield V - sold 1,404,974 units in two days at retail, according to our estimates. First week sales can be viewed on the VGChartz Global Weekly Chart for the week ending November 24.

Breaking down the sales by platform, the game sold best on the PlayStation 4 with 834,164 units sold (59%), compared to 533,885 units sold on the Xbox One (38%) and 36,925 units sold on Windows PC (3%).

Breaking down the sales by region, the game sold best in the US with 620,342 units sold (44%), compared to 448,548 units sold in Europe (32%) and 107,648 units sold in Japan (8%). Looking more closely at Europe, the game sold an estimated 91,217 units in the UK, 91,748 units in Germany, and 72,567 units in France.

1. Battlefield 3 - 4.68M
  2. Battlefield 1 - 2.80M
  3. Battlefield 4 - 2.72M
  5. Battlefield V - 1.40M

Lower than Battlefield Hardline?
OMG say it aint so.
I actually liked Hardline MP, but that community died in 2 seconds (probably due to lack of content)

If BF V can keep the content coming and work on the TTK and TTD I really want to like this game and hope its legs hold me out till I find another online shooter to jump on with servers in South Africa.
I'm sorry, was that a typo? Did you mean week sales, or weak sales?

Judging from that list, the next game they make should be Battlefield 3 2.

The hype behind Battlefield 3 was hectic.
It was a long time coming, and the trailers were godly.

Im actually surprised BF4 was lower than Battlefield 1 because i remember the lead up to 4 was also hype as fuck.

BF V seemingly had negative hype going for it....but i didnt expect it to be lower than battlefield hardline thats absolutely insane.

Top Bottom