• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield V Sells an Estimated 1.4 Million Units First Week at Retail - Sales.

cryptoadam

Banned
Sour taste for me was when I paid 100$ for the game and less than a week later its half price. Gonna be smart and not do day 1 next time.

Having fun with the game, but I still have not played the new map in breakthrough mode so I am going to assume the map is conquest only which is BS. Probably the same for the next map so that means I essentially don't get any extra content for BF V. I would take a premium pass over the tides of war because it seems like there will be no extra content unless you play conquest. And the fact that Rush is listed as a limited mode makes me think it will be on only a few maps and stick around for only a month or two.

I still predict EA is going to delay BR mode and launch it as its own "expansion" to try and recover some of the lost sales.

Dooid

Neo Member
These are just retail stats? If it doesn't include online sales then it's hard to judge. Judging by the massive discounting (thanks EA! So glad, I ponied up for this at launch) there's little doubt that sales are down.

I'm torn on this. I dislike EA so I'm glad to see them suffer but I think the guys at DICE deserve better.

Like BF1, I played BFV for a couple of weeks and haven't touched it since. It just reminded how much I enjoy Gears of War 4 online.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Hopefully this means the World War themed games will be put to rest again for a few years.

These are just retail stats? If it doesn't include online sales then it's hard to judge. Judging by the massive discounting (thanks EA! So glad, I ponied up for this at launch) there's little doubt that sales are down.

I'm torn on this. I dislike EA so I'm glad to see them suffer but I think the guys at DICE deserve better.

Like BF1, I played BFV for a couple of weeks and haven't touched it since. It just reminded how much I enjoy Gears of War 4 online.

Not only are the figures just retail stats, they're from a site that pulls numbers out their ass and was formerly banned here for making shit up. No idea why quoting them is allowed these days, but these figures can be safely ignored.

Why the heck is VGChartz being used so often on Gaf now?? We need to talk with the mods and Evilore about reinstating the ban soon we'll be getting info from System Wars.

WaveLightGames

Neo Member
For me, it was the trailer. I loved Battlefield 1 and really loved the trailers for it especially. The trailer for Battlefield 5 with it's garish colours and complete historical inaccuracy completely repelled me.

I think when you're dealing with a game set in a historical setting, there is an uncanny valley effect where unless you reach a reasonable level of accuracy, it just puts people off. So in the same way that a robot with human features is off putting to most people unless it is very realistic, a historical game with obvious inaccuracies is just off putting. If the game had been set in the near future or had gone for a cartoony graphics design or something, I'd have had no problems with female soldiers and robotic arms but to put that into an otherwise realistic world war 2 game just felt wrong.

Mackers

I thought this was a PC mainly franchise but it represents only 3% of the total sales, anyway I'm getting it when it drops below 10€

How many people do you know that buy physical PC games? And when was the last time you seen a retailer even carrying them?

Last edited:

Mooreberg

I don't think VGChartz is considered reliable for anything. And yet it continues to exist, so I guess that is a side effect of "NPD data" being tremendously short on actual data these days. Nobody likes misinformation, but nobody wants to correct the causes of it.

They should've waited for the next game to be WW2 and made this last one in modern times. Its just too soon and similar to the last. They don't have that CoD bandwagon to carry their boring ideas.

Calibos

It's not as binary as you think it is. Reactions exist on a scale. But you're probably just playing dumb if you actually believe playing as a woman in a made up sci-fi universe is totally the same as women running around the battlefield in a historical ww2 setting.

If playing dumb means playing a video game that's supposed to be fun and cool for everyone, then yes, I am playing that way. I will never understand why games can't be "just games" to gamers especially. The point of the game is to shoot the other team and take their objectives etc...Not to shoot the other team and then suddenly start huffing and stomping your feet because your a woman or the person next to you is wearing a Fedora.

If people didn't buy this game because it's not 100% historically accurate, then they shouldn't have bought Bad Company 2 or Battlefield 1 or any WW Call of Duty. I can get shot in the face and someone pokes me with a needle in the ass and I jump right back in...but being a woman is the problem? Video games man...

The internet mob sucks butt. This game is great and they are missing out.

SonGoku

You saw the part where it said 1.4 million people bought it at retail right?

2+ million people = no one
1.4 million people aren't enough for AAA development sustainability. If it was indie i would agree with you.

bilderberg

If playing dumb means playing a video game that's supposed to be fun and cool for everyone, then yes, I am playing that way. I will never understand why games can't be "just games" to gamers especially. The point of the game is to shoot the other team and take their objectives etc...Not to shoot the other team and then suddenly start huffing and stomping your feet because your a woman or the person next to you is wearing a Fedora.

If people didn't buy this game because it's not 100% historically accurate, then they shouldn't have bought Bad Company 2 or Battlefield 1 or any WW Call of Duty. I can get shot in the face and someone pokes me with a needle in the ass and I jump right back in...but being a woman is the problem? Video games man...

The internet mob sucks butt. This game is great and they are missing out.

what about opinions operating on a scale did you not understand? The only thing your side of the argument has are straw man arguments.

Last edited:

-MD-

1.4 million people aren't enough for AAA development sustainability. If it was indie i would agree with you.

1.4 for retail only in the first week, digital probably doubled it and the game has been out for months at this point.

It sold a lot more than 1.4m units.

Calibos

what about opinions operating on a scale did you not understand? The only thing your side of the argument has are straw man arguments.

Is there Straw Man arguments when it comes to opinions? Or video games being good bad or ugly? Its all subjective, opinion based arguments.

Reactions being on a scale is understandable...I am overreacting and expressing an opinion on something that actually doesn't affect my enjoyment of gaming or playing BF 5. People complaining about being a woman in a world war 2 video game is just an annoyance that I have a hard time understanding I suppose. Not playing or buying it is all well and good, but claiming that there is some great political conspiracy or social agenda behind customization options and women being playable in this game is ludicrous at best...IMO that is. Just a waste of energy..like this reply.

bilderberg

Is there Straw Man arguments when it comes to opinions? Or video games being good bad or ugly? Its all subjective, opinion based arguments.

Reactions being on a scale is understandable...I am overreacting and expressing an opinion on something that actually doesn't affect my enjoyment of gaming or playing BF 5. People complaining about being a woman in a world war 2 video game is just an annoyance that I have a hard time understanding I suppose. Not playing or buying it is all well and good, but claiming that there is some great political conspiracy or social agenda behind customization options and women being playable in this game is ludicrous at best...IMO that is. Just a waste of energy..like this reply.

And i'm happy for you. I don't wanna take your enjoyment away, just don't try to tell me what i should or shouldn't feel about something. When the next BF set in Vietnam replaces all the weapons with identically functioning water guns, the viet cong with circus clowns riding unicycles, and the tanks with war elephants on account of "it's not a documentary, not everything is supposed to be 100% realistic" than I hope you enjoy yourself.

SonGoku

1.4 for retail only in the first week, digital probably doubled it and the game has been out for months at this point.

This game doesn't have the legs. I know i will be more than 2m when its all said and done. That ain't enough for a game of this scale
Even if they cut even, ea can't be happy about that
People complaining about being a woman in a world war 2 video game is just an annoyance
claiming that there is some great political conspiracy or social agenda behind customization options and women being playable in this game
That's the strawman right there! in case you had trouble finding it.

Last edited:

-MD-

This game doesn't have the legs. I know i will be more than 2m when its all said and done. That ain't enough for a game of this scale

Do you think it sold 2 million first week and then 0 copies the following 8 weeks?

I'm sure they're not happy but the game didn't tank, they're still actively making content for it.

SonGoku

Do you think it sold 2 million first week and then 0 copies the following 8 weeks?

I'm sure they're not happy but the game didn't tank, they're still actively making content for it.
If it barely breaks even, its a waste of time for all parties involved
This is no community project, corporations expect big returns from their investments

Calibos

That's the strawman right there! in case you had trouble finding it.

There are people complaining about playing as a woman...and there are people claiming that Dice had some social or political agenda with the customization options.

I am totally straw-manning with Bilderberg, but I am not really attacking him directly.

Texas Pride

Banned
Lower than Battlefield Hardline?
OMG say it aint so.
I actually liked Hardline MP, but that community died in 2 seconds (probably due to lack of content)

If BF V can keep the content coming and work on the TTK and TTD I really want to like this game and hope its legs hold me out till I find another online shooter to jump on with servers in South Africa.

The hype behind Battlefield 3 was hectic.
It was a long time coming, and the trailers were godly.

Im actually surprised BF4 was lower than Battlefield 1 because i remember the lead up to 4 was also hype as fuck.

BF V seemingly had negative hype going for it....but i didnt expect it to be lower than battlefield hardline thats absolutely insane.

Hardline failed bcs hardcore BF fans like me saw it as a quick cash grab with no substance. Never was a true BF game in a lot of people's opinion. Light on vehicles,smaller maps,next to no destruction. Just shit.

rockyt

I'm not sure about anyone else but I got tired of the series between 3 and 4. It became the same thing over and over.

SonGoku

There are people complaining about playing as a woman...and there are people claiming that Dice had some social or political agenda with the customization options.

I am totally straw-manning with Bilderberg, but I am not really attacking him directly.
Using a couple of people as the basis for your thesis as to why people are pissed with EA/dice. That's the strawman.

The BF controversy had more to do with DICE virtue trolling, with straight men not allowed in their presentation, we dont want you message and lastly this gem yet again demonizing their customers
They could have sent a better message by selling it as an alternate reality, instead of using the game as a stage for virtue signaling, its as if they thought reera was their target audience.

This is evidence of them being or at least behaving like sjws and their twitter is filled with it as well.
Hardline failed bcs hardcore BF fans like me saw it as a quick cash grab with no substance. Never was a true BF game in a lot of people's opinion. Light on vehicles,smaller maps,next to no destruction. Just shit.
Wasnt hardline just bf4 dlc?

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
The die hards always buy in early.
The game will have no legs. Let's look at first month sales when those numbers are ready.

Calibos

Using a couple of people as the basis for your thesis as to why people are pissed with EA/dice. That's the strawman.

The BF controversy had more to do with DICE virtue trolling, with straight men not allowed in their presentation, we dont want you message and lastly this gem yet again demonizing their customers
They could have sent a better message by selling it as an alternate reality, instead of using the game as a stage for virtue signaling, its as if they thought reera was their target audience.

This is evidence of them being or at least behaving like sjws and their twitter is filled with it as well.

Wasnt hardline just bf4 dlc?

Uncle.

Paracelsus

BF1 had online sales too, and considering its reception was superior, it was probably well over half anyway. They lost 50% of the sales.
Wait a little and you'll figure it out, because in January of 2017 they forecasted 15m for BF1 and it sold 20m. If this game makes it to 10m it's an absolute miracle.

cryptoadam

Banned

I agree with all the reasons you listed, but Hardline wasn't shit it was actually a really fun MP game.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I thought Chartz was banned here. I'd be up for discussion if the data itself wasn't questionable.

Have they done anything to improve their accuracy? Partnerships within the industry? Hah!

Last edited:

SonGoku

BF3 is one of the best games ever made period. I still play it on my PS3 and the community is still alive and kicking. I love that game.
BF3 reveal was the first and last game to give me Crysis vibes. Graphics were unreal at the time, made CoD look like a cheap portable game

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The game is alot like battlefield 1. Without the microtransaction hell. They screwed themselves with their PR but the game itself is actually pretty damn solid. I got it when it was 30 bucks.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Quite a failure of marketing if
The game is alot like battlefield 1. Without the microtransaction hell. They screwed themselves with their PR but the game itself is actually pretty damn solid. I got it when it was 30 bucks.
what you end up thinking is a good solid game without micro transaction hell was not able to convince you to get it at full price. Not a good thing for those of us who do not want to see F2P model being the only viable one after publishers race to the bottom prices wise and consumers lose all notions of proper value for the software that is produced and sold.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Quite a failure of marketing if

what you end up thinking is a good solid game without micro transaction hell was not able to convince you to get it at full price. Not a good thing for those of us who do not want to see F2P model being the only viable one after publishers race to the bottom prices wise and consumers lose all notions of proper value for the software that is produced and sold.

You're almost correct. I was never planning on buying this game day one, but it had nothing to do with microtransactions or even their PR debacle. I'm not so soft skinned that I let words like that affect my purchasing decisions. The simple reason was a financial one. I budget how many games I buy each month, or rather, how much I spend on games each month. I was able to find a good deal on Assassin's Creed Odysee for $30, which left me with another $30 to spend for the month. Battlefield V met that quota when it went to $30 as well.

You really shouldn't assume why people make the decisions they make. It could be seen as offensive...but again...not soft skinned...so it's all good man. You are correct that it overall was a failure in marketing.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You're almost correct. I was never planning on buying this game day one, but it had nothing to do with microtransactions or even their PR debacle. I'm not so soft skinned that I let words like that affect my purchasing decisions. The simple reason was a financial one. I budget how many games I buy each month, or rather, how much I spend on games each month. I was able to find a good deal on Assassin's Creed Odysee for $30, which left me with another $30 to spend for the month. Battlefield V met that quota when it went to $30 as well.

You really shouldn't assume why people make the decisions they make. It could be seen as offensive...but again...not soft skinned...so it's all good man. You are correct that it overall was a failure in marketing.

It was definitely not meant to offend or make assumptions about your financial situation, sorry about that.
It was not about you being soft skinned or whatever, I like the current model vs F2P gouge as you play model on mobile, so it is a failure on EA's side... you are not the only one... many people got it at a super sale or did not get it at all...

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, that reveal of BFV was a legit disaster.

To be a fly on that wall..........I'd probably get really fucking high pretty quickly.

Whoever approved that reveal should probably get fired honestly.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It was definitely not meant to offend or make assumptions about your financial situation, sorry about that.
It was not about you being soft skinned or whatever, I like the current model vs F2P gouge as you play model on mobile, so it is a failure on EA's side... you are not the only one... many people got it at a super sale or did not get it at all...

Absolutely. Battlefield V fixed the things a lot of players were complaining about. I'd add though that the goalposts for EA are always moving. It's cool to hate EA. Anything they do wrong is amplified by the sensitivity of its past transgressions. Like the whole WW2 with women thing? I don't know if people would have been so angry if it hadn't been EA who did it.

I don't believe "whamen" played a significant role for BF5 sales. It's more like:

1. Stupid reveal trailer that looks nothing like the actual game.
2. Looks a lot like BF1 on the surface, and that game had a lukewarm reception.
3. No iconic battles.
4. The game needed more time in the oven.

Geki-D

Banned
I don't believe "whamen" played a significant role for BF5 sales. It's more like:

1. Stupid reveal trailer that looks nothing like the actual game.
2. Looks a lot like BF1 on the surface, and that game had a lukewarm reception.
3. No iconic battles.
4. The game needed more time in the oven.
Also RDR2 & Black Ops IV.

Though I do reckon people being angry at DICE & EA did also play a role. These days pretty much everyone is on YT, I'd say a load of people get their gaming news on there. Pretty much anyone with a vague interest in the BF franchise is going to get recommended a video about EA's anthics. maybe 5 years ago it wouldn't have made a dent but people's news sources for nearly everything has shifted from specialised sites.

Top Bottom