• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield V Update - Chapter 2: Lightning Strikes

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job

Battlefield V Update – Chapter 2: Lightning Strikes, starts this week for all Battlefield V players. Featuring a new co-op mode Combined Arms (available from February), new Company Gear, weapons, vehicles, and the return of Rush mode.

It takes them 4 months to release a BR mode which they were teasing to be released with the original date that got pushed back? I dont know what they are doing and how they put themselves i this position but if there was one thing I never expected, it was that a Call of Duty engine can run one of the most butter smooth BR experiences. If anything I expected Battlefield to be walk in the park for them since they always had huge maps and player count...and yet even after all this time they cant put more than 64 players on the map...but COD can do 100. Mind blown.

-MD-

It takes them 4 months to release a BR mode which they were teasing to be released with the original date that got pushed back? I dont know what they are doing and how they put themselves i this position but if there was one thing I never expected, it was that a Call of Duty engine can run one of the most butter smooth BR experiences. If anything I expected Battlefield to be walk in the park for them since they always had huge maps and player count...and yet even after all this time they cant put more than 64 players on the map...but COD can do 100. Mind blown.

Before the game even released the BR mode was scheduled for March.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I can’t watch now but I did read Rush was only coming back for a short time period? Why would they limit a popular game mode and only make it playable for two weeks? I don’t get what they are doing with this game.

cryptoadam

Banned
I can’t watch now but I did read Rush was only coming back for a short time period? Why would they limit a popular game mode and only make it playable for two weeks? I don’t get what they are doing with this game.

This was the plan from day 1 and it makes no sense to me at all. I am really curious how many maps Rush is going to be available on, is that mentioned anywhere? If its limited I am expecting only a few maps. The new map apparently isn't in breakthrough mode (I have yet to play the new map) so it doesn't seem like DICE is making all maps playable in all modes.

Rush was replaced by operations/breakthrough but it still is nonsense that they removed that mode that has been around since BFBC1 and is one of BF's most well known modes. Whats even the point of releasing it for 2 weeks and then dropping it?

I always felt in the minority that loved Rush more than Conquest.

They really need new maps too....ugh

I love BF but.....

cryptoadam

Banned

They really need new maps too....ugh

I love BF but.....

I have been on the series since BFBC2 and barely play conquest. I am a non-conquest BF player. Rush/Operations only for me.

And I agree they need some new maps. But it sucks since we only know of 2 and so far it seems like those 2 are conquest exclusive.

Mooreberg

As mentioned, March was always the plan for BR. Game seems like it should have just launched in March with all of the modes. Blackout in COD is just a product of good planning - they had eighteen months of seeing battle royale blow up and obviously concluded they would need it in their game, particularly with it just being multiplayer modes outside of zomebies co-op. Maybe DICE had less time to plan because Battlefront II was only a year earlier. The three year cycle COD devs get seems to be paying off.

manfestival

BFBC2 I only played Rush and TDM. It is quite possibly the only game where I do this as Rush has not been interesting since then. I tried rush in BF1 and I was turned off right away. BF5, I think I tried a round but moved onto something else. I am willing to try it again later but rush in BFBC2 was perfect.

The game really lacks interesting content at the moment. Even with this announcement. Only playing TDM/Conquest with more emphasis on TDM at the moment since the gunplay is so good.

PaNaMa

Banned
I'll come back for the BR mode. Not that the base game's MP offering is bad at all - it's pretty good. But I don't love the class system, I don't love that medics are stuck with SMGs, or that any class can revive etc.. I don't live that medic crates don't work automatically, nor to ammo crates... Having to walk over and hold to use in the middle of a fire fight just feels wrong for the game. Sometimes I feel like in trying to appease all the streamers/influencers, they actually wind up messing with too much stuff. If they make the game for the top 1%, well that's cool, but the top 1% are moving on to a different game next month regardless so be careful who you spend all your time trying to please.

That was ranty. Bring on BR mode

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
so when will they release the full game?

still waiting for destiny 2 to "release"

fucking GAAS shit modern gaming

JORMBO

Darkness no more
This was the plan from day 1 and it makes no sense to me at all. I am really curious how many maps Rush is going to be available on, is that mentioned anywhere? If its limited I am expecting only a few maps. The new map apparently isn't in breakthrough mode (I have yet to play the new map) so it doesn't seem like DICE is making all maps playable in all modes.

Rush was replaced by operations/breakthrough but it still is nonsense that they removed that mode that has been around since BFBC1 and is one of BF's most well known modes. Whats even the point of releasing it for 2 weeks and then dropping it?

That’s what I don’t get either. It makes more sense to me to just leave it in for those of us that prefer it. They’ve already taken the time to create the mode. It is a shame to only make it available for two weeks.

Maybe there just aren’t enough players to support the different modes or maybe they didn’t do a good job with it. Who knows.

DonF

Rush was awesome in BC2, BF3 and BF4. I feel like they focused on rush on BC2 and BF3...then it felt like a tacked on mode, and then it disappeared in BF V. I hope they expand on rush now, and not make it temporal.

cryptoadam

Banned
Rush was awesome in BC2, BF3 and BF4. I feel like they focused on rush on BC2 and BF3...then it felt like a tacked on mode, and then it disappeared in BF V. I hope they expand on rush now, and not make it temporal.

Operations/Breakthrough though has replaced Rush and kinda made it better. In the end both modes are pretty much the same with only a small difference of arming/diffusing the bombs vs captruing a flag. TBH I kinda prefer the flag capture mechanic over the arming of bombs.

I barely touched Rush on BF1, even though it was my only played mode on BF4.

Akuza89

I picked this up recently with it dropping to £19.99, yes it was digitally but who cares, the online is still just as fun.

I am however a little confused, is this single players stuff or multiplayer... I haven't had chance to have a look at the single player stuff apart from the intro. I know the co-op is listed, but just wondering.

cryptoadam

Banned
That’s what I don’t get either. It makes more sense to me to just leave it in for those of us that prefer it. They’ve already taken the time to create the mode. It is a shame to only make it available for two weeks.

Maybe there just aren’t enough players to support the different modes or maybe they didn’t do a good job with it. Who knows.

I think the playerbase might be an issue. Too many modes and you start spreading your players thin. And BF V didn't do well in sales.

DonF

...I am however a little confused, is this single players stuff or multiplayer... I haven't had chance to have a look at the single player stuff apart from the intro. I know the co-op is listed, but just wondering.
Single player is named War Stories or something like that, and its divided in 4 campaigns you can play in the order you want. Its in the same menu where you play mutiplayer.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’m allowing Dice to have some bounce back recovery time through DLC because no launch is perfect and yes Rush is indeed awesome.

Mooreberg

so when will they release the full game?

still waiting for destiny 2 to "release"

fucking GAAS shit modern gaming
It is either another case of the developer not keeping up with the content flow that is required for their revenue model, or they could have, but the game released too early and is perpetually stuck in a state of "catching up" to where people want it to be. Rush being a temporary thing is mind blowing, but after the Downward Thrust video about the state of the game, it is obvious that there isn't enough of a consolidated player base on each platform for them to keep Rush and Battle Royale up all the time and not negatively impact the other modes. Problem with "modern gaming" is when seemingly everyone except for the company selling the game can see problems brewing from a mile away, but every goes ahead as planned with a fingers-in-ears approach. Gonna be interested to see the situation is in May once Battle Royale has been available for two months. Whole thing just looks like a clusterfuck from the outside.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Problem with "modern gaming" is when seemingly everyone except for the company selling the game can see problems brewing from a mile away, but every goes ahead as planned with a fingers-in-ears approach. Gonna be interested to see the situation is in May once Battle Royale has been available for two months. Whole thing just looks like a clusterfuck from the outside.

That's the issue. We are all at the mercy of revenue/guidance targets and the stock price.

I'm subbing to EA Access to try out Anthem (another rush job apparently) and will try out BFV as well.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Noting a pretty drastic shift away from the "inclusivity" angle in that trailer. Lots of white dudes committing acts of violence against each other... funny watching them pivot back so soon after launch.

GC_DALBEN

I played this game for a few weeks and I got bored, I went back to playing bf4 and every now and then bf1, they are VASTLY superior, not even on the same league, i hope they do better in the next game of the franchise.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Real talk: I am really engaged in that live service unlocking the different assignments every week. Awaiting for the new chapters with content drops is way more interesting than the premium pass.

Top Bottom