• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefront 2 lootbox overhaul coming soon!

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Good I suppose for those who like it.

But for me BF2 is an incomplete game, its like the multiplayer portion only. and it looks so samey to the first one.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Not interested in half measures.

no-more-half-measures.jpg

What the FUCK is with giphy.com im trying to share a dam gif but it dont work!!!!
Whats the fucking point in a gif website if you cant share the gifs on fucking forums.

I hate when technology does not work there is nothing more infuriating.

At least they should add some matchmaking where you can play against others at your level or for example with no star cards

That'd work fine for big markets, like the US and Europe. Splitting the player base like that, here in Australia, could be very bad.

Must be hard for you to skip allmost every big title this winter.

There are more than enough games that came out this year which don't include lootboxes. Or at the very least, don't take the absolute piss with them. Don't act like we should just bend over and take it.

MilkyJoe

And, of course, Iden Versio returns in Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II Resurrection during the days of the First Order’s rise to power. These new chapters of Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II’s single-player story mode will be available December 13.

the rest can take a hike.

Chinbo37

Ya personally I have a big back log of great games to play. Currently playing Wolfenstein Old Blood. Sucks for people that want to play multi with a big community though.

I was all set to buy BF2 and get into it before this shit went down. I am currently holding off hoping for a positive change.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
played this game since day 1, not spent a single penny on it other than buying the game and opened a fair bit of the game. I played the last one for nearly a year so I expect to of opend pretty much everything by then.

its a good game and I understand the negativity towards the loot boxes but it hasn't effected me as of yet

amdb00mer

Let's be honest, as soon as they put the game on sale for $29.99 or less on digital storefronts your all going to buy it anyways. Loot box shenanigans or not.

I'm kinda shocked it took them this long to increase the amount of currency you earn. Is is it really that hard to increase numbers?

This only shows that they're trying to balance it in such a way that they can get away with charging money for boxes again.

Let's be honest, as soon as they put the game on sale for $29.99 or less on digital storefronts your all going to buy it anyways. Loot box shenanigans or not.

2017 had way too many great games to sit around and wait for this game to get right. They missed their chance, by the time this game is “fixed” or cheap enough to justify a purchase (30 still seems way to high) 2018 will be in full swing. Can’t ever see a situation where I end up playing his game. Unless they put it a cool psvr “mode” and the game drops to 5 bucks, that’s what sold me on the first one. Star Wars in VR was cool enough to justify the 5 bucks, never played any other mode though.

I’m sure this game sold well for EA, me not buying the game isn’t about protest because getting it used would have that same effect. Me not playing it has to do with the fact that there are way too many good games out there to try and find reasons to like this game. But to say that everyone on here will buy it at 30 bucks seems way off to me.

Must be hard for you to skip allmost every big title this winter.

It’s not playing games is crucial for my survival so i’ll be fine missing out on the titles that has a shitty business model.

I’ll take my money and time elsewhere.. simple as that.

Nope i will not i have the game on a 10 hour trial on origin which i have not even finished because i don’t like the game. The game is a mess and very average.

SonicSleuth

For the record, I jumped into a very short match of Fighter Squadron this morning,, and I got ONE credit (no kills or objectives completed). So those who say everyone gets the same/similar credits... nope.

Also, next match was also very short... 1 kill, 2 assists, 101 credits.

wipeout364

That’s fine at that point the shareholders will have spoken and It’s ready for EA access. The point is to move the needle to where most of the sales happen at that point and not at full price.

Maybe this is where EA should be pricing their games (29.99) if they feel the need to monetize that much. I used to buy their games day one but this stuff is getting so prevalent I haven’t bought one of their games until discounted to 50 or 60 percent for the last couple of years. (Except titanfall who promised no lootboxes).

TransTrender

Gold Member
*Requires Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II on applicable platform (sold separately), all game updates, internet connection, EA account, and, for console players, Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus membership (each sold separately).
I find it funny they had to disclose this because everyone's gunning for them.

LoveCake

I returned my copy and I was going to get this again if the game got sorted out but with all the upgraded weapons and armor everyone will have I will be at such a disadvantage there seems little point anyway, I have spent the money on other games now.

SRTtoZ

A step in the right direction but progression will still suck unless its based around leveling the actual class you're playing.

lefty1117

Gold Member
A step in the right direction but progression will still suck unless its based around leveling the actual class you're playing.

Wait is this a trick statement .. because it IS based around leveling the class you're playing ...

I would have respected EA more if they had come forward and said something along the lines of "We made some mistakes, however we appreciate you supporting our product from the start anyways, so please enjoy, we've unlocked Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader look for more updates soon." I enjoy the gameplay itself but the unlock system is such a shit show.

SonicSleuth

I would have respected EA more if they had come forward and said something along the lines of "We made some mistakes, however we appreciate you supporting our product from the start anyways, so please enjoy, we've unlocked Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader look for more updates soon." I enjoy the gameplay itself but the unlock system is such a shit show.

Yeah, and then everyone would complain who unlocked Vader and Luke. There is literally nothing EA could do that would win back the favor of the haters.

I've unlocked every character and enjoyed the hell out of my game time.. and spent not a thin nickel on microtransactions. $48 for probably 80 hours of gameplay so far.

BANGS

Banned
Yeah, and then everyone would complain who unlocked Vader and Luke. There is literally nothing EA could do that would win back the favor of the haters.

I've unlocked every character and enjoyed the hell out of my game time.. and spent not a thin nickel on microtransactions. $48 for probably 80 hours of gameplay so far.

Seriously, the haters have already decided to hate. EA could have given the game away for free and unlocked everything and they still would have complained...

You can unlock Luke and Vader real quick considering you get lots of points for completing the campaign. I've been hoarding my credits waiting for updates that will fix the loot box system a bit. I don't wanna waste my credits on potentially inferior crates...

This means I've been playing with minimal upgrades and it hasn't ruined my fun at all.
I've definitely got my $60 worth out of this game already, and lots of new updates are on the way including more campaign. I won't pretend this game is perfect and that the progression system isn't complete garbage, but outside of the progression system and rubber banders, it's a really amazing game for star wars fans...

I am a star wars fan and this game is not an amazing game for me as a star wars fan. The only thing it does well is audiovisual. As for shooters Republic Commando and Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 are 2 superior games, far superior to this trite.

The core gameplay is nothing special the whole loot box thing non-withstanding. The story is meh in the campaign and the Ai is laughable, even more so for a 2017 title.

And then theres star wars games in other genres that are 400 times better such as the Kotor series

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Jedi_Knight:_Dark_Forces_II

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Republic_Commando

Also i would not be very sure that alot of future content is coming with a dying playerbase since launch. It’s not like they will support a dead game with loads of content.

BANGS

Banned
Well yeah if you compare a modern casualized star wars game to older more refined pieces of gold, of course it will seem flat. But for a modern casalized star wars game, it's pretty damn good lmfao much better than the last one and way better than we could possibly expect in today's current market of focus tested safety bullshit...

If you're holding out for a better star wars game, save yourself the trouble now and give up...

Well yeah if you compare a modern casualized star wars game to older more refined pieces of gold, of course it will seem flat. But for a modern casalized star wars game, it's pretty damn good lmfao much better than the last one and way better than we could possibly expect in today's current market of focus tested safety bullshit...

If you're holding out for a better star wars game, save yourself the trouble now and give up...

Agreed. Personally, I have limited time for games as I've gotten older. I'm not going to compare current entries in franchises to old gems. Shadows of the Empire and the Rogue Squadron games were my favorite Star Wars games and so much better than either of the newest Battlefront games but I only own (and even have time for) my PS4 now. I don't have any of my old consoles and I have no desire (or time) to get them just so I can play 10+ year old games that I've played to death already.

Also, I don't think the playerbase is going to die as fast as some people think it will. BF1's died out over the year as the new DLC was released but as someone who played it almost every week for over a year I'd argue the playerbase only started to fall apart once DLC maps split the community like in every single game that releases paid DLC maps.

I would much rather have the lootboxes here which effect me in no way whatsoever and get free maps instead. As I've said before, the backlash over the lootboxes is perfectly understandable but the effect the Star Cards make on the game has been extremely overblown.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I'm sorry but to say Republic Commando and DF2 are better shooters is just laughable. Both were excellent games but come on now ... can't take comments like this seriously, especially from that guy who has done nothing but bash at every opportunity.

Aside from the loot box controversy, which due to the gamer backlash will probably mean the end of all loot boxes in all games if some of the lawmaker proposals go through, the biggest problem I see with BF2 right now is recurring lag on the galactic assault servers, and not enough rotating Achievements/Objectives to supplement the credit earn rate. The payouts at end of matches are noticeably better but without completing achievements for the boost I think most people will still find it to be too slow. The card system is a bit unwieldy to get into, particularly with having to craft the upgrades - why not use credits to upgrade instead of introducing another currency to track - but the ability to swap out cards between spawns to customize the build is actually quite nice. I take advantage of that quite often with Office and Heavy classes, switching between different grenade types, personal shields, etc.

I'm sorry but to say Republic Commando and DF2 are better shooters is just laughable. Both were excellent games but come on now ... can't take comments like this seriously, especially from that guy who has done nothing but bash at every opportunity.

Laughable how tho? How is this better apart from being a pretty looking game? The Gun play aint nothing to write home with, the lightsaber combat is just wonky dogshit, Ai is dogshit too like i said.

I have played and tried the game so.

Yeah i am kinda bashing the game and it deserves it. Had higher hopes that this game would’ve been a really good star wars game instead of being a trite dissapointment. But maybe i am more critical when it comes to games these days, instead of gushing over it just cus star wars.

The whole loot box based progression system is just a turd icing on the whole cake.

Top Bottom