• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Battlestar Galactica Official Final Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoney Mason

Banned
Aug 2, 2006
28,670
0
0





Didn't see a thread and since it's getting close now.


EDIT: Since it has become an issue. This is a spoiler thread for the first three seasons of BSG and only season 4 spoiler material needs to be tagged. Enter thread at your own risk if you have not watched the prior 3 seasons of BSG




What: The final season of BSG. Actually only the first 10 episodes are ready to air so it will be awhile before the season finishes.



When:premieres Friday April 4th at 10/9 Central. Or See it Early on Sci-Fi.com --Friday at Noon EST.


Season 4 Cheat Sheet:http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20186822,00.html



What the Frak is going on? Full recap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grfI...rl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxjdcAibnoo
 

Cornballer

Member
Jul 21, 2006
68,409
0
0
Thanks, Stony. I was about to put the thread together since there wasn't one up, but you saved me the trouble. :D

I just finished a marathon through S3 last week after receiving my DVD's, and now I'm ready for S4.
 

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Jun 7, 2004
18,636
2
0
48
Gods, I can't frakkin' wait. I just finished the Season 3 DVD set last night. My mind is completely blown but at the same time there is sadness, much sadness.
Poor Saul.
 

Cornballer

Member
Jul 21, 2006
68,409
0
0
So is SciFiHD showing the new ones in HD starting this Friday?
bob_arctor said:
Gods, I can't frakkin' wait. I just finished the Season 3 DVD set last night. My mind is completely blown but at the same time there is sadness, much sadness.
Poor Saul.
His short speech before heading back to the bridge was awesome, though. It'll be interesting to see how the final five behave and how it's different than the original seven.
 

B.K.

Member
Jun 8, 2004
25,494
0
1,575
I might just wait until August or September to watch the first half of the season. The wait until 2009 won't be as bad then.
 

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jun 8, 2004
43,343
2
1,645
I can't wait to see how the
Six/Tigh
plot develops :p

When is this airing on Sky?

IIRC, previous seasons premiered on this side of the atlantic.

Don't make me torrent :(

edit - Also, Sam is going to play a big part in this season? It's odd to see him included in this little montage up top, he seemed like a minor character. (I know he's
a Cylon
, but Tori isn't up there for example).
 

Kung Fu Jedi

Member
Dec 19, 2004
20,784
3
0
51
theadventureblog.blogspot.com
gofreak said:
I can't wait to see how the
Six/Tigh
plot develops :p

When is this airing on Sky?

IIRC, previous seasons premiered on this side of the atlantic.

Don't make me torrent :(

They did premiere on Sky first in the past. I remember finding... *ahem*... alternate means to watch Season 1 weeks before it aired here in the States.
 

bill0527

Member
Jul 21, 2004
12,030
2
1,600
Evansville, IN
Costanza said:
I wish I had SciFi HD :(

I hear ya.

I've got UniversalHD on my cable system, and they just finished showing season 3 in HD a few weeks ago, but I'm guessing they won't be showing season 4, at least not for a few months until after it airs on SciFi
 

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Jun 7, 2004
18,636
2
0
48
Cornballer said:
His short speech before heading back to the bridge was awesome, though. It'll be interesting to see how the final five behave and how it's different than the original seven.

Yeah, it gave me goosebumps. I know the show is all about bleakness but I really, really hope he finds some peace when all is said and done. As for differences, here's some that I've noticed right off the bat:

They cannot be detected by known methods--Chief was tested after beating up Cally that time he went psycho and was found to be human. Saul was tortured and had his eye torn out--and still wasn't discovered, even by a variation of his own kind.

If Saul is that old and has been at Adama's side for 40 years then it would mean that he was around prior to the Cylon's first evolving into their human facsimiles. I think anyway.
 

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Jun 6, 2004
47,305
0
1,425
Who said they are even remotely the same thing as the Other Cylons? "They have been from the start" says the Chief. Start of "What" is what I'm asking
 

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jun 8, 2004
43,343
2
1,645
bob_arctor said:
They cannot be detected by known methods--Chief was tested after beating up Cally that time he went psycho and was found to be human. Saul was tortured and had his eye torn out--and still wasn't discovered, even by a variation of his own kind.

There was no real test, IIRC? Baltar just made the whole thing up...I thought. I remember he lied to Sharon about her results i.e. she did show up as a cylon with his test..but then I thought it turned out the test didn't really work. At least, he certainly didn't get through even a small fraction of the population...

Re. Saul, the Cylons are supposed to be physically just like humans. Tearing out his eye wouldn't have given him away to another Cylon.
 

JayDubya

Banned
May 2, 2006
19,833
3
0
Since season one spoilers aren't spoilers, and I'm re: to something above...

Baltar's Cylon blood screening machine did work. The fact that it worked was simply irrelevant because it was operated by a spineless little prick. :lol
 

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jun 8, 2004
43,343
2
1,645
JayDubya said:
Since season one spoilers aren't spoilers, and I'm re: to something above...

Baltar's Cylon blood screening machine did work. The fact that it worked was simply irrelevant because it was operated by a spineless little prick. :lol
Maybe that was it.

But you'd think he'd have known then, at least about a couple of them - saul is pretty senior, you'd think he'd have been among the first done.

Then again, maybe Baltar does know about him but there was so little interaction between them that it's hard to tell.
 

Cornballer

Member
Jul 21, 2006
68,409
0
0
Regarding spoilers, what's the policy on BSG threads? Just curious what needs to be tagged and what's fair game. Typically, I thought it was that anything that has been aired doesn't need to be tagged, but preview discussion and obvious spoilers (stuff from zee future) needs to be tagged.
 

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Jan 9, 2007
33,912
1
1,480
Who the hell's idea was it to put BSG on at 10 PM on a Friday night!? I'm so amped for this season but there's no way I'll ever be home on a Friday at 10 PM : (

bob_arctor said:
If Saul is that old and has been at Adama's side for 40 years then it would mean that he was around prior to the Cylon's first evolving into their human facsimiles. I think anyway.


This has been bugging me since the S3 finale.
 

Kak.efes

Member
May 5, 2006
4,590
0
0
I'll watch the premiere, but PVR the remaining nine episodes, and marathon them all with a couple of friends later on in the year. Watching episodes in succession, one after the other, is just .. better :)
 

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sep 14, 2005
43,284
1
0
38
Osaka, Japan
www.playism-games.com
There must be some kind of way outta here...

bob_arctor said:
If Saul is that old and has been at Adama's side for 40 years then it would mean that he was around prior to the Cylon's first evolving into their human facsimiles. I think anyway.

The cylons went silent for a long time, but there's no word WHEN the human copies were commissioned. According to Razor, they were testing on humans during the first war. Saul could have been the first product. He may be one of the "final" five, but he might actually be one of the first production models.
 

B.K.

Member
Jun 8, 2004
25,494
0
1,575
jon bones said:
Who the hell's idea was it to put BSG on at 10 PM on a Friday night!? I'm so amped for this season but there's no way I'll ever be home on a Friday at 10 PM : (

Me either. I have class on Friday nights until almost 10:30. By the time I get home, it's after midnight. That's just another reason for me to wait until later to watch the episodes.
 

Neodiablo22

Member
Sep 25, 2006
1,395
0
995
jon bones said:
Who the hell's idea was it to put BSG on at 10 PM on a Friday night!? I'm so amped for this season but there's no way I'll ever be home on a Friday at 10 PM : (




This has been bugging me since the S3 finale.

He can be a doppleganger.
 

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sep 14, 2005
43,284
1
0
38
Osaka, Japan
www.playism-games.com
Neodiablo22 said:
He can be a doppleganger.

To quote the chief:

"We're cylons...and we were from the beginning." ...or something to that effect. He clearly says that they were always cylons.
 

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Jun 7, 2004
18,636
2
0
48
thetrin said:
The cylons went silent for a long time, but there's no word WHEN the human copies were commissioned. According to Razor, they were testing on humans during the first war. Saul could have been the first product. He may be one of the "final" five, but he might actually be one of the first production models.

That makes tons of sense though it still doesn't make clear how far back him and Adama go. Where they childhood friends or even friends out of the Academy (or BSG's equivalent)?
 

Cornballer

Member
Jul 21, 2006
68,409
0
0
bob_arctor said:
That makes tons of sense though it still doesn't make clear how far back him and Adama go. Where they childhood friends or even friends out of the Academy (or BSG's equivalent)?
Doesn't Adama state something towards the end of S3 about how "I've known you for XX years, Saul"? I thought it was on the order of 35 years, but I'm not sure I'm remembering it correctly.
 

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Jun 7, 2004
18,636
2
0
48
Cornballer said:
Doesn't Adama state something towards the end of S3 about how "I've known you for XX years, Saul"? I thought it was on the order of 35 years, but I'm not sure I'm remembering it correctly.

No, you're probably right though I interpreted that as serving with him and not actually how long he's known him in total. I've always assumed they knew each other prior to the war. If I'm wrong in that regard then the timing fits perfectly for what thetrin mentioned.
 

Cornballer

Member
Jul 21, 2006
68,409
0
0
bob_arctor said:
No, you're probably right though I interpreted that as serving with him and not actually how long he's known him in total. I've always assumed they knew each other prior to the war. If I'm wrong in that regard then the timing fits perfectly for what thetrin mentioned.
Here's a link to Tigh's biography on the BSG Wiki. (Spoilers from S1-S3, obviously.) Seems like they did a good job of putting together a timeline.
 

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jun 8, 2004
21,854
2
0
I think the genesis of the the four cylons revealed at the end of the season goes further back than the current generation. Recurring theme in the series about history repeating and given they're following the signs left by a 4000 yr old progenitor civilization, I'm banking on the new cylons being cylons as a result of genetic memory, the right combination of passed-on traits.
 

distantmantra

Member
Jun 9, 2004
25,818
0
1,520
Seattle, WA
Costanza said:
I wish I had SciFi HD :(

Comcast added SciFi HD to our lineup in Seattle about a month ago. Very little on the channel is in HD, but I'm all over BSG. Plus, the HD channel is the East coast feed, so it comes on here at 7pm instead of 10pm.
 

Big-E

Member
Nov 16, 2006
19,377
0
1,295
Just finished watching season 3 on dvd. Can not wait. Someone on this show better get a god damn Emmy nod.
 

Big-E

Member
Nov 16, 2006
19,377
0
1,295
DY_nasty said:
Didn't they win a Peabody award not too long ago?

The show did. Some of the actors deserve an emmy nod. Easily one of the best shows on tv with some great acting though it will probably not show up come emmy time.
 

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Jun 7, 2004
18,636
2
0
48
kaching said:
I think the genesis of the the four cylons revealed at the end of the season goes further back than the current generation. Recurring theme in the series about history repeating and given they're following the signs left by a 4000 yr old progenitor civilization, I'm banking on the new cylons being cylons as a result of genetic memory, the right combination of passed-on traits.

If that's the case, that would be very Philip K. Dick, VALIS specifically (Gnosticism, etc.).

The estimation of the world, owing to the above, as flawed or a production of 'error' but nevertheless as good as its constituent material might allow. This world is typically an inferior simulacrum of a higher-level reality or consciousness. The inferiority may be compared to the technical inferiority of a painting, sculpture, or other handicraft to the thing(s) of which those crafts are supposed to be a representation. In certain other cases it is also perceived as evil and constrictive, a deliberate prison for its inhabitants;

The explanation of this state through the use of a complex mythological-cosmological drama in which a divine element 'falls' into the material realm and lodges itself within certain human beings; from here, it may be returned to the divine realm through a process of awakening (leading towards salvation). The salvation of the individual thus mirrors a concurrent restoration of the divine nature; a central Gnostic innovation was to elevate individual redemption to the level of a cosmically significant event;

Do you think that the signal was automatically triggered due to their relative proximity to Earth?
 

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Feb 27, 2007
59,603
0
0
slaent
Kung Fu Jedi said:
"We're going the wrong way!

That might've been one of the biggest WTF moments since Maury started doing paternity tests.
 

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Jun 7, 2004
18,636
2
0
48
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Except they're not that close to Earth.

"We're going the wrong way!

Assuming Kara's correct, of course. Assuming she isn't the harbinger of the apocalypse who will lead all humanity to its death. If she is though, then maybe her wrong way is the right way. Possibly. I happen to think Kara may very well be the doom bringer but only indirectly--that her return will tear apart the fleet because many will think her a Cylon and many won't believe a word of what she has to say regarding Earth.
 

dabig2

Member
May 15, 2007
9,221
0
0
hype alley
B.K. said:
Don't have anything to record them with.


there are some,hm, alternative methods if you don't possess a DVR or DVD recorder. But maybe they'll have reruns of it sometime in the week. ?
 

Kung Fu Jedi

Member
Dec 19, 2004
20,784
3
0
51
theadventureblog.blogspot.com
bob_arctor said:
Assuming Kara's correct, of course. Assuming she isn't the harbinger of the apocalypse who will lead all humanity to its death. If she is though, then maybe her wrong way is the right way. Possibly. I happen to think Kara may very well be the doom bringer but only indirectly--that her return will tear apart the fleet because many will think her a Cylon and many won't believe a word of what she has to say regarding Earth.

That's a lot of reading into on very small scene that was the cliffhanger. I'm more apt to believe that she's been sent back as a messenger to help the fleet and lead them Earth, but of course that's what the season ending cliffhanger is all about. Make you speculate. While I think you might be right, that some in the fleet are going to question her return, there has been no indication at all to lead you to believe that she is the doom bringer.

All that aside, there is also no indication from previous shows to indicate that they are anywhere in the proximity of Earth. At best, they may have been on the right trail.
 

Big-E

Member
Nov 16, 2006
19,377
0
1,295
Did any of you guys see the alternate ending to the cliffhanger? Where
Kara is in Lee's room and not in the viper and tells him the exact same words. I am glad they chose the ending they did because having Kara on Galactica makes even less sense then her showing up in a viper.
 

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jun 8, 2004
21,854
2
0
bob_arctor said:
If that's the case, that would be very Philip K. Dick, VALIS specifically (Gnosticism, etc.).
The Divine has certainly been playing a role in this as well. I think they're going to tie it together, yes.

Do you think that the signal was automatically triggered due to their relative proximity to Earth?
Could be any number of triggers - a certain sequence of events, proximity to something that is *of* Earth but not necessarily Earth itself. Could it be proximity to each other? I forget - was there ever a time before that on the show where all 4 were on the same ship together?
 

Cornballer

Member
Jul 21, 2006
68,409
0
0
Kung Fu Jedi said:
All that aside, there is also no indication from previous shows to indicate that they are anywhere in the proximity of Earth. At best, they may have been on the right trail.
Don't they zoom way out at the end of S3 and then back in to get to Earth. I might rewatch that sequence to see if there's any clue as to how far they are.
Big-E said:
Did any of you guys see the alternate ending to the cliffhanger? Where
Kara is in Lee's room and not in the viper and tells him the exact same words. I am glad they chose the ending they did because having Kara on Galactica makes even less sense then her showing up in a viper.
Yup, saw that on the dvd.
I think Ron Moore said that it looked too much like "a miracle" if filmed that way, whereas there's a rational explanation as to why she's back. I guess we'll find out this week
 

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Jun 6, 2004
47,305
0
1,425
Big-E said:
Did any of you guys see the alternate ending to the cliffhanger? Where
Kara is in Lee's room and not in the viper and tells him the exact same words. I am glad they chose the ending they did because having Kara on Galactica makes even less sense then her showing up in a viper.

Yes, I agree with this. If the other way happened,
then there's another "Baltar/Head Six" thing going on, as now Lee would then start seeing visions of Kara.

Kara comes back, and thinks she's only been gone a few hours, so yeah, something's up. Either a time distortion, or some kind of copy.
 

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Mar 29, 2007
35,905
0
0
Kung Fu Jedi said:
They did premiere on Sky first in the past. I remember finding... *ahem*... alternate means to watch Season 1 weeks before it aired here in the States.
yep me too. I love the internet.
 

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Jun 7, 2004
18,636
2
0
48
What makes Saul's situation even more tragic for me is that he told Adama exactly what was happening, more or less. He mentions the music and says explicitly that it's some sort of Cylon sabotage.
 

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Apr 24, 2006
12,182
0
0
35
Jesus Christ, can we just make this a spoiler thread? If you haven't caught up, it's your own damn fault to going into a FINAL SEASON thread before watching all the episodes.
 

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Jun 7, 2004
18,636
2
0
48
Phobophile said:
Jesus Christ, can we just make this a spoiler thread? If you haven't caught up, it's your own damn fault to going into a FINAL SEASON thread before watching all the episodes.

So say we all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.