• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Battlestar Galactica Official Final Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

Member
Jun 8, 2004
25,495
0
1,575
NimbusD said:
what? did I miss something?

Apparently. Anders said that when the five got the warning about the destruction of Earth, they had visions of people that weren't really there.
 

B.K.

Member
Jun 8, 2004
25,495
0
1,575
NullPointer said:
Yeah - that part flew by me as well. Whats this about the five seeing people as warnings? On Caprica? Or on Earth?

On Earth, before it was nuked. That's why they recreated the resurrection technology. They were warned of the destruction by people that weren't really there.
 

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oct 22, 2006
23,460
0
0
B.K. said:
On Earth, before it was nuked. That's why they recreated the resurrection technology. They were warned of the destruction by people that weren't really there.
Damn, Baltar is definitely some type of cylon. The six has that ability too.
 

NimbusD

Member
Jan 14, 2005
6,285
0
1,275
NYC
B.K. said:
Apparently. Anders said that when the five got the warning about the destruction of Earth, they had visions of people that weren't really there.


Damn I really need to watch this episode again, there was so much that I probably missed.

So what, are gaius and caprica like angels or something? or are they like angels that just took the shape of them?

I still think theres some sort of religious grand slam that's coming out way, relating to the head people and kara maybe? It would just be too weird to have earth be a shitfest when they got there and that's the last you hear of the scriptures and gods and such.
 

Ignatz Mouse

Banned
Jul 9, 2004
23,084
1
0
NimbusD said:
He remembers everything? shit, if there weren't so few episodes left I'd say that would be the mark of death for Anders.

EDIT:

'John' says "on the centurion side of the family", the 7 cylons are half centurion half final five/earth cylons?

You called it!
 

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Dec 21, 2005
26,827
0
1,190
~Kinggi~ said:
When he was giving info he said that 2 of the five saw people that werent there. One saw a woman and the other a man.


I have a bizarre theory.
The man is Baltar and the woman is Six and they somehow can communicate with their past selves and 2 of the final five. Remember the vision of Six and Baltar carrying Hera away in the opera house in what looks like room of light.
 

bachikarn

Member
Jun 7, 2004
8,033
1
1,295
fistfulofmetal said:
More information was given in this episode than the entire series of Lost.

Eh, that is not necessarily a good thing. I would have rather have seen flashbacks and actually seeing what he said and not an information dump like they did.
 

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Oct 11, 2004
16,868
1
1,605
Let me see if I can get everything straight.

So the original five from Earth, who survived the nuking, fled and took thousands of years to reach the twelve colonies. Once there, they found those cylons were looking to build better hybrids after retreating from the war with the humans and offered their help, provided that they promised not to war with the humans anymore. Cavil and the other human looking Cylons were created. But Cavil betrayed the original five and killed them, blocked their memories and placed them on earth and so forth.

My question is specifically for Saul's timeline. The first war between the Twelve colonies and the Cylons was 40 years ago. Saul fought in that war with Adama. How was the second version of him there before the Cylons rebelled, attempted to create hybrids, and met the original five?
Or am I missing something?
 

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Jun 6, 2004
47,308
0
1,425
The most interesting thing with the whole Boomer and Ellen go on a trip...

Is John Cavill, who is pissed off, and wants regeneration....will now search for Ellen and the 5. There will be no stopping until he gets that secret....except for the End of the Cylons (well, his line/crew).

Bork, That war had already been fought and ended. Adama in the webisodes before the prequel movie, was a young man, and saw the end of the war. He grew up (and grew a mustache), and met Saul, and together, were on some regular old mining ship or something. Eventually, he was called back into the military, and he drug Saul with him.

Some of that's vague memory, but I know that the Cylon War ended with Adama being alot younger than when the Show "showed" us the 1st meeting between Saul and Adama.
 

NimbusD

Member
Jan 14, 2005
6,285
0
1,275
NYC
BorkBork said:
Let me see if I can get everything straight.

So the original five from Earth, who survived the nuking, fled and took thousands of years to reach the twelve colonies. Once there, they found those cylons were looking to build better hybrids after retreating from the war with the humans and offered their help, provided that they promised not to war with the humans anymore. Cavil and the other human looking Cylons were created. But Cavil betrayed the original five and killed them, blocked their memories and placed them on earth and so forth.

My question is specifically for Saul's timeline. The first war between the Twelve colonies and the Cylons was 40 years ago. Saul fought in that war with Adama. How was the second version of him there before the Cylons rebelled, attempted to create hybrids, and met the original five?
Or am I missing something?


A few people in this thread said they met 20 years after the war.

One thing I want to know more about is why the 13th colony was all cylons.
 

Sax Russel

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
4,505
0
1,550
NimbusD said:
A few people in this thread said they met 20 years after the war.

Yeah there was an episode with many flashbacks to how Tigh and Adama met during the time when Adama was recovering from getting shot by Boomer and Tigh was in command.

Actually come to think of it I think a lot of those flashbacks were deleted scenes on the DVD.
 

Coop

Member
Jun 7, 2004
3,916
0
0
36
NJ
You know I just thought of something. Cavil had sex with Ellen on New Caprica. So in a way he had sex with his mother..?
 
D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
NimbusD said:
One thing I want to know more about is why the 13th colony was all cylons.

That's what I'm trying to figure out....

So, the 13th colony, Kobol, had cylons that then traveled to Earth, populated that place... then the nuke happens. The final 5 go back to Kobol to warn them?

So... the 13th colony was just Centurions? I thought the humans MADE the Centurions... so did they make them as a colony thousands of years ago, or was it people?

I'm so fucking confused... so so so fucking confused.

Information overload in that episode, indeed.


Anyone think that "Daniel" sorta has the same nose as Billy?

 

BrokenFiction

Member
Sep 11, 2006
8,506
2
1,265
The ATL
El_TigroX said:
That's what I'm trying to figure out....

So, the 13th colony, Kobol, had cylons that then traveled to Earth, populated that place... then the nuke happens. The final 5 go back to Kobol to warn them?

So... the 13th colony was just Centurions? I thought the humans MADE the Centurions... so did they make them as a colony thousands of years ago, or was it people?

I'm so fucking confused... so so so fucking confused.

Information overload in that episode, indeed.

See I thought it was that the 13th colony was humans that developed the resurrection technology and they built their own centurions who rebelled and nuked the earth. But the 5 got away b/c of resurrection and travelled at sub-light speed to the 12 colonies where they offered to help THOSE cylons if they ended the war with the other humans, but John/Cavil had other ideas.

I've gone crosseyed.
 

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oct 22, 2006
23,460
0
0
yeah there was almost too much info in this episode.

But im at least glad this is happening. With only like 5 episodes or something left.
 

Deadly Monk

Banned
Dec 21, 2005
3,581
0
0
El_TigroX said:
That's what I'm trying to figure out....

So, the 13th colony, Kobol, had cylons that then traveled to Earth, populated that place... then the nuke happens. The final 5 go back to Kobol to warn them?

So... the 13th colony was just Centurions? I thought the humans MADE the Centurions... so did they make them as a colony thousands of years ago, or was it people?

I'm so fucking confused... so so so fucking confused.

Information overload in that episode, indeed.


Anyone think that "Daniel" sorta has the same nose as Billy?


Daniel is Starbucks father, guarantee it. He's in an episode coming up shown playing the piano for Starbuck.
 

NimbusD

Member
Jan 14, 2005
6,285
0
1,275
NYC
neojubei said:
I have a bizarre theory.
The man is Baltar and the woman is Six and they somehow can communicate with their past selves and 2 of the final five. Remember the vision of Six and Baltar carrying Hera away in the opera house in what looks like room of light.



http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/youwillknowthetruth/index.php?pageid=60



Shit, Baltar's some sort of god guy.


El_TigroX said:
That's what I'm trying to figure out....

So, the 13th colony, Kobol, had cylons that then traveled to Earth, populated that place... then the nuke happens. The final 5 go back to Kobol to warn them?

So... the 13th colony was just Centurions? I thought the humans MADE the Centurions... so did they make them as a colony thousands of years ago, or was it people?


Ok I think at least that the earth Cylons are somehow fundamentally different from the Seven(now eight) Cylons that they created. Cavil was saying that he was part 'Centurion' during this episode.

I'm confused too, maybe the Cylons on earth are more advanced. They used to be something like Centurions but evolved or made themselves better, or just mated with the humans and became one race? Or they killed all of the humans and then realized that it was a bad thing, the nuke happened as the human's last retaliation so then the 5 went to warn the others not to repeat there mistake? Dammit there's a lot to figure out. Maybe there were never any humans at Earth?
 
D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
BrokenFiction said:
See I thought it was that the 13th colony was humans that developed the resurrection technology and they built their own centurions who rebelled and nuked the earth. But the 5 got away b/c of resurrection and travelled at sub-light speed to the 12 colonies where they offered to help THOSE cylons if they ended the war with the other humans, but John/Cavil had other ideas.

I've gone crosseyed.

Yeah, I got that... maybe I didn't explain my issue well enough... oh god how do I do this...

ok... the cylons that nuked the humans at the start of the miniseries - the "original" cylons that we knew... the people that the 5 came and taught how to do resurrection and stop the war, etc.

WHERE THE FUCK DID THEY COME FROM?

WHO built them... if it was the humans that are there... HOW did they come to exist - destiny? this cycle of events always leads to the construction of cylons? I think that's it... It's not a matter of how they got made, they always will get made based on this cycle.

This is just stream of consciousness at this point... I just don't understand the relationship between the final five and the Centurions - how did the final five KNOW that if they traveled for thousands of years, they would find Centurion cylons? Visions?
 

BrokenFiction

Member
Sep 11, 2006
8,506
2
1,265
The ATL
El_TigroX said:
Yeah, I got that... maybe I didn't explain my issue well enough... oh god how do I do this...

ok... the cylons that nuked the humans at the start of the miniseries - the "original" cylons that we knew... the people that the 5 came and taught how to do resurrection and stop the war, etc.

WHERE THE FUCK DID THEY COME FROM?

WHO built them... if it was the humans that are there... HOW did they come to exist - destiny? this cycle of events always leads to the construction of cylons? I think that's it... It's not a matter of how they got made, they always will get made based on this cycle.

This is just stream of consciousness at this point... I just don't understand the relationship between the final five and the Centurions - how did the final five KNOW that if they traveled for thousands of years, they would find Centurion cylons? Visions?

I had thought the "original cylons that we knew" (as you put it) were built by the 12 colonies humans. Remember the opening credits said something to the effect of "This has happened all before".
 

dead souls

Member
Jan 7, 2007
12,013
0
0
Wow another great episode.

I watched it in between the new eps of Terminator and Dollhouse. What a stark difference in quality. I'm really going to miss this show when it ends.
 
D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
BrokenFiction said:
I had thought the "original cylons that we knew" (as you put it) were built by the 12 colonies humans. Remember the opening credits said something to the effect of "This has happened all before".

I guess I'm just struggling with the time line - sort of chicken and the egg thing that can be explained away by the "This has happened all before" cycle.

If the knowledge of the cylons existed on earth, how exactly did they also get built by the 12 human colonies?

Left over information from the 13th colony passed down somehow? Destiny? Or that they are not connected except by visions of war and the final five traveled to stop this cycle - thus the final five are not "cylons" but are just the creators of the skin jobs.
 

B.K.

Member
Jun 8, 2004
25,495
0
1,575
El_TigroX said:
Yeah, I got that... maybe I didn't explain my issue well enough... oh god how do I do this...

ok... the cylons that nuked the humans at the start of the miniseries - the "original" cylons that we knew... the people that the 5 came and taught how to do resurrection and stop the war, etc.

WHERE THE FUCK DID THEY COME FROM?

The humans in the twelve Colonies built Centurion Cylons. The Centurions rebelled against humanity and started the first Cylon war. During the war, they made the first hybrids, like on the Basestars. The five from Earth found them and told them they would help them make the skin jobs and give them the resurrection technology if they ended the war.
 

JayDubya

Banned
May 2, 2006
19,834
3
0
Dean Stockwell really is fantastic in this show.

I mean, technically "John's" motive and his little spiel are not anything startlingly original, as we've seen them as recently as Agent Smith in the Matrix, but they feel fresh here, and quite convincing.
 
D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
B.K. said:
The humans in the twelve Colonies built Centurion Cylons. The Centurions rebelled against humanity and started the first Cylon war. During the war, they made the first hybrids, like on the Basestars. The five from Earth found them and told them they would help them make the skin jobs and give them the resurrection technology if they ended the war.

Yeah, I understand that... I just don't understand what the "final five" are... because they say they are cylons, but are they? Sounds like they are the cylon fore-fathers because they gave them the tech to make skin jobs, but are not explicitly linked... except by perhaps a single god and the cycle of events of world creation and destruction.


Also, what's this shit about John being there at the birth of the galaxy?
 

Stoney Mason

Banned
Aug 2, 2006
28,674
0
0
JayDubya said:
Dean Stockwell really is fantastic in this show.

I mean, technically "John's" motive and his little spiel are not anything startlingly original, as we've seen them as recently as Agent Smith in the Matrix, but they feel fresh here, and quite convincing.
Yep. Good acting can always raise somewhat average material. You buy into Cavil because of Stockwell. One of my complaints is how long the rebel cylons dissapeared for and the lack of interplay between some of the rebel cylon models in general.
 

Zabka

Member
Apr 7, 2006
10,108
1
0
Nuclear genocide is pretty bad, but brainwashing then sleeping with your mother is just fucked up.
 
D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Stoney Mason said:
One of my complaints is how long the rebel cylons dissapeared for and the lack of interplay between some of the rebel cylon models in general.
You mean like black doctor cylon and PR cylon? I don't even know WHEN we saw them last....
 

NimbusD

Member
Jan 14, 2005
6,285
0
1,275
NYC
Thinking about this more and rewatching some scenes, I'm realizing how well Cavil's actions explain so many things. It explains why the Cylons restarted the war, after he "boxed" or killed the 5, he could do what he wanted.

Also, this means that he meant for the BSG ship to escape with four of the five on it? Just so they could get a real view of humanity?
 

BrokenFiction

Member
Sep 11, 2006
8,506
2
1,265
The ATL
El_TigroX said:
I just don't understand what the "final five" are... because they say they are cylons, but are they? Sounds like they are the cylon fore-fathers because they gave them the tech to make skin jobs, but are not explicitly linked... except by perhaps a single god and the cycle of events of world creation and destruction.

I guess I'm going with the theory that the final five were the original resurrected humans and downloads, so they had to download into *something*. They had the technology then to build human-like bodies to accommodate their human brains. Because of this they've become "hybrids" of a kind. They passed this technology onto the 12 colony cylons and because they gave them free will, they were able to choose their own path, and John chose...poorly?
 
D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
BrokenFiction said:
I guess I'm going with the theory that the final five were the original resurrected humans and downloads, so they had to download into *something*. They had the technology then to build human-like bodies to accommodate their human brains. Because of this they've become "hybrids" of a kind. They passed this technology onto the 12 colony cylons and because they gave them free will, they were able to choose their own path, and John chose...poorly?

Yeah, I'm with you on this 100%. I can't seem to create another plausible scenario BUT this.

Also, it kinda sucks that we are having to use quotes heavily now... "hybrids" as opposed to hybrids... to denote the two - haha.
 

Stoney Mason

Banned
Aug 2, 2006
28,674
0
0
El_TigroX said:
You mean like black doctor cylon and PR cylon? I don't even know WHEN we saw them last....

Pretty much. I know not everybody can be a part of the show and its partly a budgeting issue but still.
 

parrotbeak

Member
Apr 23, 2008
12,299
0
1,030
Zabka said:
Nuclear genocide is pretty bad, but brainwashing then sleeping with your mother is just fucked up.

To make it even worse, he was created in the image of her father. I guess he deleted the incest taboo program also.

Edit: I need to watch that resistance episode again, but maybe Ellen was subconsciously trying to show John love and help him overcome his jealousy of Daniel.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.