• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Official Final Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaweee

So... what was the point of the impregnation campaign? Why would Cavil want Cylon children to be even more human, especially when they already had Resurrection?

The episode sidestepped a lot of Prophecy stuff, and I'm interesting how it all gets reconciled in the coming episodes.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Dax01 said:
So was Kobol the original planet from which Humans came?

That what it seems to indicate, on Kobol humans originally lived with their "gods". It even seems possible that they got kicked out for/not to long after they created cylons.

Yaweee said:
So... what was the point of the impregnation campaign? Why would Cavil want Cylon children to be even more human, especially when they already had Resurrection?

I think Cavil was looking for an alternate way to create humanoid Cyclons with resurrection, perhaps because he saw the hub as a vulnerability? It seems obvious that if they don't have the tech to recreate resurrection, they don't have the tech to move their enhanced selves back to metal bodies, so they're going to need to continue to be able to make humanoid cylons....

Yaweee

DarienA said:
That what it seems to indicate, on Kobol humans originally lived with their "gods". It even seems possible that they got kicked out for/not to long after they created cylons.

I think Cavil was looking for an alternate way to create humanoid Cyclons with resurrection, perhaps because he saw the hub as a vulnerability? It seems obvious that if they don't have the tech to recreate resurrection, they don't have the tech to move their enhanced selves back to metal bodies, so they're going to need to continue to be able to make humanoid cylons....

Humanoid Cylons are grown in that amniotic fluid. I thought the Resurrection technology was just the actual mental transfer process, that they still had the basic stuff like the ability to grow new bodies as long as they have the original DNA sequence.

Perhaps that's just semantics, though.

DarienA said:
They lived with their "gods?" It would be awesome if these "gods" were aliens... Did these gods give humans FTL ability?

DarienA

Yaweee said:
Humanoid Cylons are grown in that amniotic fluid. I thought the Resurrection technology was just the actual mental transfer process, that they still had the basic stuff like the ability to grow new bodies as long as they had the original DNA sequence.

Perhaps that's just semantics, though.

Well the cylcons that are grown as new bodies are just replacement bodies for the existing models right? Their programming so to speak is already written?

Whose to say the birthed Cyclons, wouldn't be his attempt at creating new models? With new programming he created?

Dax01 said:
They lived with their "gods?" It would be awesome if these "gods" were aliens... Did these gods give humans FTL ability?

The ship of light you mean? heh... us old school BSG folks keep hoping it'll show up.

Somehow I don't think the gods gave them FTL because the Cyclons who left Kobol didn't have it when they went to go found the 13th tribe....

Juice

gkrykewy said:
But the 5 were on earth, right? How is it that earth was populated entirely by cylons when it was nuked?

Clearly the 13th tribe were humanoid cylons originally created on Kobol by the humans and then left out of the party during some sort of schism.

Correct me, but I think the Final Five still harbor thoughts that they were human on Earth; perhaps even though the word is out that all of the bones are cylon on earth, they weren't aware of it in their previous life and still consider themselves as having been at one point human (Ellen's sass mouth at the John suggests this).

To answer your question, the 13th's humanoid cylons developed metal cylons of their own to do their work, didn't take care of them, and it was those metal cylons that annihilated them.

DarienA

Juice said:
Clearly the 13th tribe were humanoid cylons originally created on Kobol by the humans and then left out of the party during some sort of schism.

Correct me, but I think the Final Five still harbor thoughts that they were human on Earth; perhaps even though the word is out that all of the bones are cylon on earth, they weren't aware of it in their previous life and still consider themselves as having been at one point human (Ellen's sass mouth at the John suggests this).

To answer your question, the 13th's humanoid cylons developed metal cylons of their own to do their work, didn't take care of them, and it was those metal cylons that annihilated them.

Exactly the 13th Tribe were the Cyclons skinjobs created by the Koboldian Humans... those humans left to go create the 12 tribes, the cylcons however went to Earth.

Really this recap explains alot in clear detail:

http://carnography.livejournal.com/10678.html

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jey_16 said:
makes sense, if the 13th tribe were cylons (which seems pretty much confirmed now) then they would have no problem lasting so long on a ship

+ as said in the episode, relativity says time would slow down as they approach the speed of light. So even though the trip might be 1000 or 2000 years for an observer, for those on the ship(s) it wouldn't have seemed that long.

I don't know if we have equations proposing to what degree time slows down as you approach the speed of light, but they're piggy-backing on those theories to explain the large time gaps.

Alright just watched this episode on Hulu...didn't really feel it. A ton was revealed though. Ty/Ellen meeting should be entertaining. I wonder where that will leave Six?

Seems like next episode will be one of "old flames" so to speak. Ellen/Ty, Boomer/Chief, and quite possibly Baltar/Six? Should be interesting.

Ventrue

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

It can be put into an easy to remember acronym for future sci-fi writers. My head is spinning from all the exposition lately. It's really better for some things to be left to the imagination.

Juice

Ventrue said:
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

It can be put into an easy to remember acronym for future sci-fi writers. My head is spinning from all the exposition lately. It's really better for some things to be left to the imagination.

Matrix Revolutions was probably the simplest outcome imaginable. And it was awesome, rite?

Ventrue

Juice said:
Matrix Revolutions was probably the simplest outcome imaginable. And it was awesome, rite?
Not really; it had the same problem of over-explaining everything and adding some pointless backstory and mystic nonsense.

I'm still enjoying BSG but the overarching backstory has become very hard to follow.
If they even think of doing this I'll kill them. I fucking hate shows that have a lead up to nothing.
I don't mean have an ambiguous ending or never answering any questions. I'm talking about having one guy spout off exposition about resurrection and relativity for a whole episode.

DarienA

Ventrue said:
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Personally I disagree. I like my TV shows with meat to their characters and history to boot.

I only want my movies using the KISS format since I'm only going to sit there for an hr or so and then be done with it.

Cipherr

DarienA said:
Personally I disagree. I like my TV shows with meat to their characters and history to boot.

I only want my movies using the KISS format since I'm only going to sit there for an hr or so and then be done with it.

I agree here, keep the 'K.I.S.S" stuff for 90 minute movies where you cant go into detail because theres no enough time. These TV series span dozens of episodes and span years. There should be more told and explained. Not to mention Vent you are highly exxagerating the complexity of what was said anyway. Almost everything Anders said was reiterated by Tigh and the like during the episode to make sure the viewer 'got all of that'.

Anders: It was us, we gave them the tech for skinjobs

*Anders passes out*

-10 minutes later in the hall-

Tigh: Did you hear that? Its our fault, we gave them the tech for skin jobs.

I mean cmon dude, they didnt throw that much at the audience in the episode. Some things got answered. Completely expected in the final episodes of the series.

Kastro

Banned
so how fucking awesome was the dialogue in this episode?

Cavil: "In all your travels, have you ever seen a star super nova?"

Ellen: "No."

Cavil: "No? Well I have. I saw a star explode and send out the building blocks of the universe. Other stars, other planets, and eventually, other life. A super nova: Creation itself. I was there, I wanted to see it and be part of the moment. And you want to know how I perceived one of the most glorious events in the universe? With these ridiculous gelatinous orbs in my skull. With eyes designed to perceive only a tiny fraction of the EM spectrum. With ears designed only to hear vibrations in the air."

Ellen: "The five of us designed you to be as human as possible."

Cavil: "I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays and I want to, I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limited spoken language. But I know I want reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a super nova flowing over me. I'm a machine and I can know much more. I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body. And why? Because my five creators thought that God wanted it that way."

As usual the podcast for the episode was very interesting. Originally the Ellen story was going to be told at least partially in the episode he directed but they decided not to do it at the last minute.

They were very aware there was a lot of information dropped in this episode and that it was going to be a challenging one to understand.

DarienA

Kastro said:
so how fucking awesome was the dialogue in this episode?

That Ellen/John back and forth was awesome... his anger you could almost taste it... it just hung heavy during the entire back and forth like a dark cloud... if he was a younger man I could see him flying in to a rage and snapping her head off at any time... incredible work.

Cipherr

Stoney Mason said:
As usual the podcast for the episode was very interesting.

Are these podcasts you speak of like the ones on the DVD sets where they talk about the episode during the episode? :lol I LOVE those and its really the reason I buy the DVD sets, can you give me a link to it. I want to watch it playing over the episode. Especially this episode.

Puncture said:
Are these podcasts you speak of like the ones on the DVD sets where they talk about the episode during the episode? :lol I LOVE those and its really the reason I buy the DVD sets, can you give me a link to it. I want to watch it playing over the episode. Especially this episode.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/downloads/podcast.php?seas=4

Ron Moore does some of the best podcasts around imo (when his wife isn't with him) since he is generally very introspective and honest about his feelings.

Cipherr

NimbusD said:

Omfg holy crap thank you so much man!

Ron Moore does some of the best podcasts around imo (when his wife isn't with him) since he is generally very introspective and honest about his feelings.

Truer words have never been spoken. Hate to be an ass, but those first few podcasts he did with his wife on them ruined it for me. C'mon man, just tell us what the drink of the day is and bring on the awesome.

I just rewatched the beginning of S3 Ep 1 where Ellen and Cavil get it on, and she screams "Cmon you son of a bitch" the whole time while riding him.

Darklord

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
Somebody please tell me that SciFi is going to stream this tonight, or at least that they're not going to pull the bullshit Hulu is going to tomorrow. ;_; I think I'd die if I had to wait 8 days for the next episode, let alone the next five INCLUDING THE FINALE. I loved you Hulu, why, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!?!?

What happened to hulu?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
parrotbeak said:
I just rewatched the beginning of S3 Ep 1 where Ellen and Cavil get it on, and she screams "Cmon you son of a bitch" the whole time while riding him.

Haha. That was such a delicious element of the plot in hindsight. Although I doubt they planned at the time that things would work out. I think I read that they figured Ellen might be one of the five after New Caprica, just after they killed her.

I know I'm slow...

But I've just realised. In the new intro, just after the screen that says ELEVEN MODELS ARE KNOWN, we see each of the human forms in the order that their Cylon heritage was revealed, and in the place (roughly) where the revelation occured.

Never really noticed how much thought went into that montage of clips.

rhino4evr

I don't really understand the purpose of the "Earth" Cylons being Cylons at all. They were able to procreate, and live like humans, so does it really matter to the story? Couldn't Earth be the place where a group of Kobol humans settled, and the first REAL SKinJobs were actually just the resurrected Final 5 Human Scinentists? That would have made the story so much simpler. Then we wouldnt have all these questions regarding Cylon Aging, Why Earth was destroyed by Centrurions, etc. etc. It's a unecessary twist, that asks more questions then answers them.

Dax01 said:
How many episodes are left?

Here is the list of remaining episodes. The last 2 are 2 parts and I think I read that the finale is 2 hours. Spoilering just in case. It's 6 including tonight.

Deadlock
Someone to Watch Over Me
Islanded in a Stream of Stars
Daybreak, Part 1
Daybreak, Part 2

methane47

rhino4evr said:
I don't really understand the purpose of the "Earth" Cylons being Cylons at all. They were able to procreate, and live like humans, so does it really matter to the story? Couldn't Earth be the place where a group of Kobol humans settled, and the first REAL SKinJobs were actually just the resurrected Final 5 Human Scinentists? That would have made the story so much simpler. Then we wouldnt have all these questions regarding Cylon Aging, Why Earth was destroyed by Centrurions, etc. etc. It's a unecessary twist, that asks more questions then answers them.

agreed...

Foov

rhino4evr said:

I appreciate it as a good explanation for why the 13th colony was broken off from the other 12 in the first place and became lost - from the miniseries on I knew I wanted an explanation for why 12 colonies would all be in this one solar system and the 13th would've been way off somewhere else. This explanation is consistent with the shows themes/ideas and satisfactory to me.

rhino4evr

Foov said:
I appreciate it as a good explanation for why the 13th colony was broken off from the other 12 in the first place and became lost - from the miniseries on I knew I wanted an explanation for why 12 colonies would all be in this one solar system and the 13th would've been way off somewhere else. This explanation is consistent with the shows themes/ideas and satisfactory to me.

i suppose, i just think it would have made more sense if the 13th colony were humans. I guess we are all supposed to be Cylons then? It's kind of cheesy.

So much is said about "The Centurion Faith" and the Centurion one god. Seems kind of silly when they seem inferior to their creators, who believe in multiple gods. They don't seem to speak either.

So On Earth (Reality) The greeks and romans multi-god belief system is supposed to link to the beliefs of the original 12 colonies. So Jesus was a Cylon too? Its so much of a stretch. Are Adam and Eve the two Cylons that discovered procreation? it's all so silly.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Fuck, man, that's only a few titles (episodes) left. Holy crap, it's almost over :(

Well, until The Plan...and that small chance of success new show, Caprica.

It is nice to have the week split up, Monday (24), Wednesday (Lost), Friday (BSG). The longest break is the weekend, and come on, it's the weekend, which = JOB FREEDOM.

maharg

idspispopd
Foov said:

Um, they aren't all in one solar system. Or else the starcharts on Kobol for the locations of the 13 colonies would make no sense. It's not like they didn't have FTL.

Treo360

gofreak said:
Haha. That was such a delicious element of the plot in hindsight. Although I doubt they planned at the time that things would work out. I think I read that they figured Ellen might be one of the five after New Caprica, just after they killed her.

Really? I thought that they hinted at her being Cyclon earlier than that, back when she first appeared and Baltar didn't run his test.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
maharg said:
Um, they aren't all in one solar system. Or else the starcharts on Kobol for the locations of the 13 colonies would make no sense. It's not like they didn't have FTL.
Didn't Moore say he made them all in one solar system just like the original series?

maharg

idspispopd
Fuzzy said:
Didn't Moore say he made them all in one solar system just like the original series?

I stand corrected, according to the battlestar wiki. Well. I think that's pretty retarded, but whatever.

I'm more looking for someone to help clarify my hazy memory on some of the earlier eps. I have some internal speculation as to what the frack is going on with Kara/Starbuck. I'll spoiler it just in case people would rather not even think about it -

Isn't it possible Kara is a replacement model for the boxed Daniel model? Some of the similar traits that they were looking for, from what we heard from Ellen, in terms of artistic ability. They had Kara held prisoner on Caprica, when she met Anders, and my memory is trying to insist that it was some kind of fertility thing they were doing on her. Perhaps in the time since she was prisoner, or perhaps WHILE she was prisoner they implanted her with the ability to download upon death, and started creating cloned copies from the genetic material they got so that when she did die she would resurrect. Cavil has already shown he can surpress/implant memories into the models, so that could explain her lack of knowledge.

So yeah - my guess - Kara was a newly created model of Cylon, one created during the events of the show, to replace the boxed Daniel.

Sorry if this has already been guessed at or I am just stating the obvious - i've not followed the thread super close lately.

Walshicus

Red Mercury said:
I'm more looking for someone to help clarify my hazy memory on some of the earlier eps. I have some internal speculation as to what the frack is going on with Kara/Starbuck. I'll spoiler it just in case people would rather not even think about it -

Isn't it possible Kara is a replacement model for the boxed Daniel model? Some of the similar traits that they were looking for, from what we heard from Ellen, in terms of artistic ability. They had Kara held prisoner on Caprica, when she met Anders, and my memory is trying to insist that it was some kind of fertility thing they were doing on her. Perhaps in the time since she was prisoner, or perhaps WHILE she was prisoner they implanted her with the ability to download upon death, and started creating cloned copies from the genetic material they got so that when she did die she would resurrect. Cavil has already shown he can surpress/implant memories into the models, so that could explain her lack of knowledge.

So yeah - my guess - Kara was a newly created model of Cylon, one created during the events of the show, to replace the boxed Daniel.

Sorry if this has already been guessed at or I am just stating the obvious - i've not followed the thread super close lately.
More likely is that Daniel is her father.

methane47

Alright here is a thought that I've been having.. What if the writers decide to pull a big "GOTCHA" type plot twist.. in which they find out that they are ALL Cylons.. and the descendants of Cylons.. and that the Gods were the Humans. And haven't been around for millions of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom